The Great Driver Hunt

AirmanPika

563 posts in this topic

Yeeeaaaahhh...

A couple of things...lot of misinformation

I do not believe that xom is "hard coding" xomdd.sys into the registry; there is no mechanism in a bios to do this, nor is it present in the dumps of xom.efi

Also, unless its being done indirectly, the kernel isn't being patched to do this either...i've looked in the drivers.

What I'm going to do is a FAT32 install of this thing so i can look at the stuff that is installed very carefully; if xomdd.sys is being added at boot, its being done on the xp side.

IIRC, files and directories can be hidden from the filesystem in windows by prepending '$'...

I think the bit of the xom.inf that adds xomdd.sys to the registry at boot is being run everytime windows is run...from somewhere.

I've just looked over all of the files in the "patch" that goes on the install disk, and i have a suspicion that this is part of the boot process and that the reason why the mini drivers are working is because they are installed in a away that overwrites whatever is telling windows to do the AddReg thing at every boot.

The modified windows files are all boot related (iastor for linking to the xom implementation of bios drives, ntdetect for the same)

If someone here knows a lot about custom building windows installs...thats the place to look.

-D

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/ i made a custom version of windows a few years ago with that. Windows Badger Edition :) quite popular on suprnova at one point ahh those were the days...... anyway it might have the info your looking for or not plus a lot of folks on the forums who know there stuff.

EDIT: wondered if this page might hold the key to some of the other issues with drivers it's got a {censored} load.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/37/

my point was that the mac mini's gpu is on the pci bus too; they just figured out a way to convince xomdd.sys to "go away" in their "driver dance" installation so the "hardcoded in the bios" assertion is obviously incorrect :graduated:

-K

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/ i made a custom version of windows a few years ago with that. Windows Badger Edition :D quite popular on suprnova at one point ahh those were the days...... anyway it might have the info your looking for or not plus a lot of folks on the forums who know there stuff.

EDIT: wondered if this page might hold the key to some of the other issues with drivers it's got a {censored} load.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/37/

I believe this is what he is doing, actually, more or less, based on a couple of his posts.

Given the present limitations, its about the only logical way to pull it off.

Of course, the ATI drivers are a damned *mess* as far as installation location/organization goes, so I'm guessing it took him forever to get the sequence right...and I'm guessing he's telling it to install xomdd.sys a different way, either as a different file (perhaps vga.sys for a "just in case" scenario) and having xp install the base ati driver as xomdd.sys.

My thinking is it *has* to do this at install time, as opposed to afterwards, because once xomdd is "in" it can't be removed (hence the reference to not being able to update the driver later.)

Ya' know...after I wake up, I may just try the basic "000_*" method and make a bit of an "MBP driver pack" for the other drivers (chipset, ethernet, wireless, and audio) as a drop-in on my install cd just to remove the pain-in-the-butt factor of an install on general principle so the first full boot it comes up "ready to go"...thanks for the link :D

Personally, if this is the methodology he's using, I'm all for it; once I get the thing doing what it needs to, I doubt I'm going to care later about a new driver that might add a couple frames per second :whistle:

Looking forward to it,

-D

Personally, if this is the methodology he's using, I'm all for it; once I get the thing doing what it needs to, I doubt I'm going to care later about a new driver that might add a couple frames per second :angry:

Looking forward to it,

-D

Agreed, but it's more the fact that updated drivers might bring bug-fixes that are needed.

My oh my, the wait is killing me, doesn't look like much progress is being done on the driver front anymore...Any updates, anyone?

Effects has a solution he's working on, it works and is in the testing phase. But he's sick so he cant do very much right now... :(

Effects has a solution he's working on, it works and is in the testing phase. But he's sick so he cant do very much right now... :(

Good morning all. I am feeling much better today. Alright, so here is the news. To catch everyone up. Yes, I have been working on a solution. I have my windows xp install booting off of an ati driver not the xom dirver. The question now is if it is stable.

My plan today is to get up, get ready, and yes get the solution tested! Thank you for all of your thoughts and patience. It's been a rough week. Hopefully by tonight I will have the testing finished. I will then supply the solution to the people who have written me asking to volunteer to further test the solution. Once I have a final confirmation that it is stable and working, I will provide the solution to the general public. If the solution isn't stable, then I will update everyone and continue working. Hopefully this video driver issue will shortly be a thing of the past.

Thanks again,

Effects

This solution is not only great for gaming, im a graphic designer and using adobe's photoshop cs2 and illustrator cs2 at full speed is a neccessary thing for me. They run very fast in windows, but because there is no video drv they display things very slow and choppy. And in rossetta... you know. Waiting till 2007 for cs3, dont think so.

I thank anyone like effects, working on a solution like this.

I will then supply the solution to the people who have written me asking to volunteer to further test the solution.

I also have a 1.83ghz Mac Book Pro that is available for testing... I'd be happy to assist.

:)