The Great Driver Hunt

AirmanPika

563 posts in this topic

Use these drivers for the wireless.

http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargem...%20bcm-43xx.exe

Works perfectly for me. You might need to go to Device Manager at that device and use "Update Driver..." though after you install the drivers. They should work though.

Trying them now.

On the video front, I did muck around a bit (probably where I shouldn't). At the boot selector screen, I pressed F4 and then F5 to get into what looked like a BIOS setup screen. I went to Device Manager (or settings I can't remember) and then to video. I changed the graphics from PEG to PCI. BAD IDEA!!!!! Upon reboot, I got nothing I my screen. After a moment of panic, I used the ol' trusty reset the firmware thing and I was back in business. I made sure it was changed back to PEG (which stands for PCI express Graphics - if I had read the descriptions I would have known that. Anyway, this time I enabled ASPM to auto. No luck installing the ATi graphics.

In the device settings for video, it looks like the video driver is listed as XpOnMac. No surprise to anyone here, but I am surprised that it's not changeable.

Anyway, the moral of the story is - don't change your graphics to PCI. The second moral is that it looks like we can get to a BIOS like console to make changes to the firmware.

Use these drivers for the wireless.

http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargem...%20bcm-43xx.exe

Works perfectly for me. You might need to go to Device Manager at that device and use "Update Driver..." though after you install the drivers. They should work though.

Sweet. They worked! Update driver was the trick, I think. Thanks again.

Hmm. I don't know why but my signal is REALLY WEAK with these drivers. When I'm in OS X, I get full bars but in XP I get a "really low" signal and I can't get on the net. I get an IP, as expected. Are others experiencing weak signals with their XP installs?

Unconfirmed. But would be nice.

"http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargem...%20bcm-43xx.exe"

As far as these go, are they an improvement over the ones that have been used in the MacBooks until now? I know that I can't pick up my Netgear wireless router, but can pick up my Belkin. Trouble is that the Belkin is on the other side of the house

Unconfirmed. But would be nice.

"http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargem...%20bcm-43xx.exe"

As far as these go, are they an improvement over the ones that have been used in the MacBooks until now? I know that I can't pick up my Netgear wireless router, but can pick up my Belkin. Trouble is that the Belkin is on the other side of the house

Dont get why people keep this to themselves... The driver would be finished allot faster if the work has been published

Prohan, care to enlighten us about how you accomplished getting HL2 working on the MBP ? I know there are a lot of us waiting to get the ATI x1600 up and running on iMacs and MBP's.

/geddan

They may have enabled it to load but the video shows the performance on the screen is quite laggy, could it be they are still using xom even though they may have fooled half-life to load?

Prohan, care to enlighten us about how you accomplished getting HL2 working on the MBP ? I know there are a lot of us waiting to get the ATI x1600 up and running on iMacs and MBP's.

/geddan

We don't know if he got a video driver running, just HL2. Which might be running very slowly in software rendering mode, and he just speeded up that part of the video.

Dear JeremyA, with regards to windows and wireless networks...

Have you tried to make sure that the option "The key is provided automatically for me" in the "wireless networks" section of the "wireless connection properties", "advanced" is unchecked?

Hey J, thanks for the tip... sadly, I did verify that when I was setting it up at my home knowing that my network doesn't automatically provide keys for anybody (including myself). :blink:

Good sanity check though, that could have caused all kinds of weirdness.

Still scratching my head... :withstupid:

Just came across a quick interview with blanka on Appletalk where he gives some insight on how the Boot Loader /CSM works:

AppleTalk: How does the Boot Loader/CSM work ?

Jesus: In brief, this is what it does:

* Reconfigure the i945 and ICH7 chipsets to map memory at the usual BIOS memory areas.

* Program those areas with a custom written "BIOS". This BIOS is coded in 16 bit real mode assembly. It implements all interrupts (legacy API calls) by switching into 32 bit protected mode and calling the CSM code.

* The CSM code implements a subset of the legacy interrupts by invoking the appropriate EFI API. All the other unimplemented interrupts are handled by breaking into a built-in debugger.

* Implement legacy boot protocols: El Torito, MBR and Boot sector specifications are followed to figure out what code to execute.

* Once the target code is found and loaded into memory, the bootloader switches into 16bit real mode and relinquishes control to it.

That's the gist of it. Additionally, some Windows code had to be patched in order for it to not reject the slight hardware differences between the Apple hardware and the standard legacy AT architecture still prevalent in all modern PCs.

* Lack of 8042 keyboard controller.

* Apparent lack of VGA text modes (for now, it hasn't been possible to switch the video hardware into a character-based text mode, although it is still believed to be possible).

Windows on Macs

Thought this may help give some perspective on the matter...

We don't know if he got a video driver running, just HL2. Which might be running very slowly in software rendering mode, and he just speeded up that part of the video.

halflife2 DOESN'T HAVE a software rendering mode.

according to onmac.net, the almighty Narf and Blanka are working on a video driver solution, and will release the solution when they're done.

Thank Jesus.

Jesus Lopez that is.

Also I am curious since I have not read a definitive response, but is the mac mini using AGP as compared to UGA?

Are we any further forward with audio drivers for the CoreDuo Mac Mini? The ones on the OnMac wiki install fine and optical audio works thereafter, but I can't get anything from the analog line-out at all.

I tried removing the drivers, running Windows update, and reinstalling them but it still won't work. I then found a more up-to-date driver on Softpedia's site which, although it installs without error, won't load and refuses to work with the hardware. However, it did install the Sigmatel control panel with it.

By removing the more up-to-date drivers and reinstalling the ones on the OnMac wiki, I then managed to use the Sigmatel control panel to turn off optical audio and can now turn it on and off at will.....but still no sound from the internal speaker or line-out.

FWIW, the Mac Mini's analog line-out shares a common 3.5mm socket with the optical out.

I have no idea, what you allo are talking about with the macbook pro fans. Do you have a macbook pro. The fans are working and kick in fine. I have mine running xp and have been running a lot of apps including pro e and various others. The fan works fine. I have left mine on constantly since last friday, with no problems at all. Now, can we drop the fan rumors and specualtion. Yes, they work...

I have no idea, what you allo are talking about with the macbook pro fans. Do you have a macbook pro. The fans are working and kick in fine. I have mine running xp and have been running a lot of apps including pro e and various others. The fan works fine. I have left mine on constantly since last friday, with no problems at all. Now, can we drop the fan rumors and specualtion. Yes, they work...

agreed, i have been using all sorts of applications including fluent for a cfd simulation and it runs flawlessly with the fans occasionally coming on. I think it runs cooler in xp than in os x...