New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs

f41qu3

1,286 posts in this topic

Forgive the noob question, but in looking at the download there are two .iso files, generic and BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY. Which to burn, or both? Do I use one or the other? Sorry, just a happy Kalyway user...

I've got some space on a HDD on which I can put an HFS partition and try to load the retail DVD without disturbing my Kalyway 10.5.3/4, which is on a dedicated HDD.

GA P35C-DS3R

Q6600 go stepping 2.4 ghz

4 GB Kingston 800 mhz

GeForce 7300 GS

Sorry if I missed it somewhere in this thread but can anyone please post MD5 for generic.iso? On my config I got only to ISOLINUX 4-10-2008 3.63:Checksum failed, sorry... I didn't modify it in any way.

Thanks. Would love to try.

All this progress is pretty amazing! I am working hard on my new ISO & Flash Drive script for Mac OS X. Right Now I am at revision 1.6. It currently only makes bootable ISO files; however, I am figuring out how to make a bootable flash drive via Mac OS X so that current Mac OS X users can benefit from the flash drive method as well.

You can find my MakeBoot V1.6 Script Here

Be sure to read the ReadMe!

~Galaxy

Actually, I have the same gigabyte mobo and my JMicron works like a champ without any hacked kexts. I solved my "waiting for root device" error by replacing the optical drive with another model from Sony. Haven't had one problem since. Only thing I had to do on my gigabyte system with this install method was add sound driver support for the ALC888. Everything else just works. :unsure:

The same motherboard? The one in your sig is different (unless you mean from another system?). If what you say is true, then why do I (and evidently hashholly) need the modified JMicronATA.kext to boot? Are you sure it's the same board (GA-965P-DS3)?

Cheers,

- Sabr.

Worked flawlessly on my Gigabyte GA-P35-S3L. Only had to add ALC888 kexts and life was good :( Had full video support for my eVGA GeForce 8800 GTX right out of the box :) Performed update to 10.5.4 using Software Update, rebooted, and away it went :) Sheer genious.Actually, I have the same gigabyte mobo and my JMicron works like a champ without any hacked kexts. I solved my "waiting for root device" error by replacing the optical drive with another model from Sony. Haven't had one problem since. Only thing I had to do on my gigabyte system with this install method was add sound driver support for the ALC888. Everything else just works. :)

Man hook it up with a guide! I am reluctant to try it on my own. It seems like its pretty basic so a quick guide wouldnt hurt!

For what i understand this is great, but it would be nice if someone can explain it in spanish and other languages. I can help a bit but first i need to understand how this really works.

I the next week ill get my new custom PC which have intel core and intel mobo chipset, so i guess i can use this method.

I have downloaded Kalyway Mac Os, but for this method is better if i get the retail dvd, "original mac os"?

Install Retail works on a Asus P5K Pro and a P5K deluxe

Boot ed with generic ISo, on USB stick

After install just had to install Kext for VideoCard (Ati2400 Pro - Natit for x200 and x3000, For Sound - ALC883_DS3_HDA) - P5K Pro

(ATIX1300 -NAtit kext, For Sound AppleAzalea kext) P5K Deluxe

So some tweaking on the initrd.img, (adding those kext, should be could for next install should be ok then :(

wow i think i finally got it to work jus updating to 10.5.4

i belive there was a kext i can install for reboot issue was it AppleACPIPlatform.kext

i dont remember but right now if i reboot it just goes to a black screen pc stay running it wont post

Anybody using the USB key/CD Iso method MAY be interested in what I am doing with mine.

I thought it a good idea to expand the Syslinux concept with menu selection.

This means you can have several different .img files to load.

You could also use it for Memtest/Diagnostic tools (Think bootable cd utilities)

Here's my current Syslinux.cfg

SAY Type :

SAY 1 For Retail DVD Install using retail.img

SAY 2 For HD Setup Install using install.img

SAY 3 For HD Normal using normal.img

SAY 4 For Boot using NO initrd.img

SAY 5 For Testing with testing.img

TIMEOUT 900

DEFAULT /mboot.c32 /boot --- /initrd.img

PROMPT 1

LABEL 1

KERNEL mboot.c32

APPEND boot --- retail.img

LABEL 2

KERNEL mboot.c32

APPEND boot --- install.img

LABEL 3

KERNEL mboot.c32

APPEND boot --- normal.img

LABEL 4

KERNEL mboot.c32

APPEND boot

LABEL 5

KERNEL mboot.c32

APPEND boot --- testing.img

LABEL 4 is handy for you folks that are having boot load problems

e.g blinking cursor, HFS+ partition error, No bootable system, corrupt VISTA bootloader (like mine at the moment)

You can also use this if you put the

Extra folder from initrd.img on your Installed Leopard root

OR

Put the same folder onto Retail DVD.

Lots of possibilities.

Now to turn it into graphical menu.

Bye..

This is a very interesting idea. I will look at integrating support for multiple ramdisks into my script in the near future.

So Far I have implemented a few more choices into my script:

Main Choices are:

ISO: Allows creation and burning of a Bootable ISO.

FLASH_UPDATE: Allows updating of existing ramdisks on someone's Flash Drive.

FLASH_BOOT: Has not been implemented, but will allow the creation of a bootable Flash Drive when a method becomes available.

Advanced Choices are:

RAMDISK: Allows for the creation of only a RAMDISK based on user specified kernel extensions.

MKEXT: Allows for the creation of only an Meta-Kernel Extension based on user specified kernel extensions that will be useable in a ramdisk.

Features I have planned are:

Changing of OSBundleRequired in kernel extensions to Local-Root upon Meta-Kernel Extension generation.

Of course Bootable Flash Drives.

On-the-fly generation of syslinux configuration files.

If anyone has any other ideas about what they think would be useful for the script please feel free to discuss it.

Thanks again to all those who have tested and are using my script!

~Galaxy

Hello guys..

I'm still new in the hackintosh. Last 2 week i allready install it using iatkos_v10i and it was successfull. My laptop spec are as below;

Mobile intel 945gm chipset

Intel GMA950

Intel core duo 1.6ghz

The problem is when i try to install using retail dvd, boot with generic.iso it said that "embios error" and it load until the apple screen. you guys have any idea on this situation. I'm blur now...

The same motherboard? The one in your sig is different (unless you mean from another system?). If what you say is true, then why do I (and evidently hashholly) need the modified JMicronATA.kext to boot? Are you sure it's the same board (GA-965P-DS3)?

Cheers,

- Sabr.

Actually, my sig was a typo, I have the GA-P35-DS3L, which is still different than your mobo. I read through too fast and failed to notice you have the 965 chipset, not the P35.

At any rate, I deleted the original post as I had made claims that weren't verified. I installed some stuff, but hadn't actually rebooted the system yet as I had to run to work. I think the modified Jmicro kext is on the iso I boot from, along with NVkush, etc. Plus, to have working audio, I have to use the -f switch as well.

Damn those hasty conclusions :blink:

Regards,

-dR

......so will I find the kext for ICH9 chipset (in my case) on the retail dvd ?

You must added your device id in AppleAHCIport.kext and place in INITRD.IMG. After install, place this kext on your installed system or steel work to USB.

Slightly off topic, but this method seems to be how VMware are going to support OS X as a guest. From David's site we know that VMware paid for work on the bootloader. I've noticed that when using VMware to install using the "darwin-64" guest parameter in the latest betas, it automatically tries to load darwin.iso during the initial boot. Then reattaches the original DVD/CD and at that point booting fails. My guess is that when darwin.iso is available, and it isn't yet, it will have the necessary kexts to load the retail version of Leopard Server.

hey all,

reporting sucess on a GA-P35-DS4, with generic.iso and Mac OS X Install DVD restored into a partition on another drive

here's what i did:

0. did a restore with disk utility from the retail Leopard iso to a partition on another drive

1. burned generic.iso on Disk Utility

2. booted the generic.iso CD, pressed "esc", and typed 81

3. selected the partition with the Mac OS X Install DVD

4. install vanilla 10.5.0

5. boot again with CD, press "esc", typed 80

6. used Apple Software Update to 10.5.4

now i guess that only need a way to get my hardware specific extensions (sound, ethernet, etc) on a USB drive with initrd

beautiful work people, thanks!

Someone needs to post a tutorial on how to do this...

And a way to do this for existing mac os users without losing apps/programs

(Possibility for Snow Leopard?)

Tutorial is on #1st topic.

Not work for Snow Leopard at now. Need some changes.