New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs

f41qu3

1,286 posts in this topic

Sorry for the n00b question , but:

- what's the difference between Chameleon and Boot-132 ? what's the specific purpose of each ?

The short version is that they are two different forks from the same original code. Last I read, Zef and David Elliott were both busy incorporating improvements from the other ( gotta love opensource :whistle: ) quite what the differences will be at the end of the day, who knows.

Thanks, Keplenk: USB-FDD is indeed the way to set your BIOS to boot from USB stick on a P35-DS3L. Works reliably every time. I personally prefer to use F12 to select my bootable drive during startup, set it to USB-FDD then after which I get anoher menu that shows me my USB stick as USB 2.0 something I select that, then after booting syslinux I get to select the other partition I restored from my OS X retail DVD to my USB stick...

Experimenting with this I get to the startup background, with a beachball spinning infintely, no installer language selection just yet - must be pretty close now...this makes you learn alot about OS X works under the hood, more then I ever learned from books or just using the GUI :-)

Hello Superhai,

I followed these steps here to create my own iso using Toast. But problem was created disc is not bootable. Where have I done wrong?

one of your kexts is incorrect

make sure the info.plist is edited correctly

For those of you who want to modify your retail dvd to support MBR partitions while keeping it as a dual layer disk with everything included, use this OSInstall.mpkg

It's the OSInstall.mpkg from my retail 10.5.1 dvd just modified to remove hardware checks.

I made it because other OSInstall.mpkg files were for single layer backups and/or from prerelease versions of leopard.

only use this for DUAL LAYER BACKUPS. it may work with single layer ones as well, but for that you're better off using one of the other prerelease versions of osinstall.mpkg

OSInstall.mpkg.zip

Thanks to everyone who made this possible! I spent my whole day creating a perfect bootable (no disk swap!) leopard dvd. I guess it took so long cause i made sure to revert everything to original permissions/date stamps...

does anybody know an easy way to edit the iso to switch these out? can't figure it out in windows, and don't know what program to use in osx

This is great work, thanks to all who have contributed.

I have a core2 quad system currently running 10.5.4 and pc-efiv8 so I have efi strings instead of injectors for graphics and sound. The only way my system differs from that on my real macs is that I have macnub's modified SMBIOS, dsmos.kext, no AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and HDAEnabler.kext.

I hope I'm not going to be reinstalling from my retail Leopard disk any time soon, so I don't have an immediate use for this amazing new boot cd image.

Here's something that strikes me which I would like your thoughts on.

If instead of macnub's SMBIOS I use SMBIOSEnabler.kext from this initrd.img, and if I also have the IntelCPUMdisabler.kext and dsmos.kext in place (all set to root/console loading) then I should be able to add back the latest genuine AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext without any ill effects.

Not only that but if say 10.5.5 comes out and the delta update contains a new AppleSMBIOS and its update script tries to load Dont Steal MacOS X.kext again, then these new kexts with their higher loading priority should be able to deal with both of these situations and allow what would otherwise have been 'dangerous' updates to work via the normal software update mechanism.

Maybe I've misunderstood, but if this is true then this to me is at least as valuable as being able to use the .iso image to boot directly from a retail DVD.

hi mate, whre can I find the IntelCPUMdisabler.kext ?

Thanks

hi,

Been reading through this topic and have a few questions... I have a Badaxe 2 board which currently runs Kalyway 10.5.2 with vanilla kernel but uses MBR (as i can`t get it to work with GUID). Can i ask the following:

1. Will their be any issues with using MBR with this BOOT ?

2. What is the install method? Do i just burn the image to a cd, boot, swap for my retail leopard dvd and install as normal

3. Do i need to modify the image in any way before i burn it e.g. add any kexts?

thanks,

made an small app to make boot disc from HMBT Auto-patcher's script code. ( got some free time over the weekend)

This App is constantly in Beta stage use it at your own risk

works on my system and not tested on any other system, so use at your own risk..

I am not responsible any damages cause to anyone or any system directly or indirectly.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Boot 123 Disc Maker

This program simplifies the process of making ISO image of Modified Boot 123 disc.

This Disc is will boot Retail OSX 10.5.X Leopard DVD.

1. You will need the following.

a. BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso

b. Kext that supports your system.

2. put BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso on your Drive Root (Default)

3. Create "/Extra/Extensions" on your Drive Root (Default)

4. Run Boot 123 Disc Maker

5. Select your source ISO (/BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso)

6. Select the Kext folder to add ("/Extra/Extensions")

7. Select folder and name of where the New Boot ISO si to be created (/CD-Boot.iso)

8. Press Make ISO, wait and when done QUIT.

9. Burn the ISO with your favorite ISO Burner. (Burn command not implemented, will do when free.)

------------------------------------

Cheers,

PPCMMAC

Boot_123_Disc_Maker.zip

Hey this is GREAT! I just got the leopard retail dvd and downloaded the generic.iso burned it and started it up. everything just worked! i'm installing as we speak and everything is going well so far. about a minute left of installation. i was wondering about something though. if we are using the retail dvd to install does this mean that...we can use boot camp now? or is this still a big no no...because i tried formatting as mbr with two partitions, one for OS X and the other for vista but when i did that and went back to installation it told me i needed a GUID partitioned disk...so i had no choice but to partition my only drive with GUID with one partition for leopard...i will see how this goes and if i really like it then i guess its time to go out and buy another hard drive! Thanks for all the hard work people who made this possible!

Great job!

I have a question though. Is there a way to modify or edit actual retail dvd and put this inside it. Like merging "BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso" + retaildvd.iso. By doing this, it would make you "not" to swap anymore in the initial install? Like the Retail DVD would be the only DVD you'll need. After installing from the retail dvd, that is when you install chamelon and copy the "boot" and "extra" folder in root (just like STLVNUB suggested).

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Noob here: Currently I have been able to boot and install retail dvd from a mac book air ( Not sure if it matters which retail disk it is. I then downloaded the installer from rtl8187 from their site but, for some reason after installation is complete and i boot and try to open my wireless it just bounces. I noticed when i booted with a -v that it said the rtl kext load failed???? Any Ideas on how to fix

does anybody know an easy way to edit the iso to switch these out? can't figure it out in windows, and don't know what program to use in osx

I said I would write a guide on how to do this a few days ago but I was busy. I will write it tomorrow :)

hi,

Been reading through this topic and have a few questions... I have a Badaxe 2 board which currently runs Kalyway 10.5.2 with vanilla kernel but uses MBR (as i can`t get it to work with GUID). Can i ask the following:

1. Will their be any issues with using MBR with this BOOT ?

2. What is the install method? Do i just burn the image to a cd, boot, swap for my retail leopard dvd and install as normal

3. Do i need to modify the image in any way before i burn it e.g. add any kexts?

thanks,

1. no issues.

2. yes, or you can incorporate this method onto your own leopard dvd (guide tomorrow)

3. Depends which image you download, some are premodified, some you need to add kexts. Even premodified ones will need some customization on most hardware.

Great job!

I have a question though. Is there a way to modify or edit actual retail dvd and put this inside it. Like merging "BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso" + retaildvd.iso. By doing this, it would make you "not" to swap anymore in the initial install? Like the Retail DVD would be the only DVD you'll need. After installing from the retail dvd, that is when you install chamelon and copy the "boot" and "extra" folder in root (just like STLVNUB suggested).

Is this possible?

Thanks!

YES! guide posted tomorrow ;)

I said I would write a guide on how to do this a few days ago but I was busy. I will write it tomorrow :censored2:

1. no issues.

2. yes, or you can incorporate this method onto your own leopard dvd (guide tomorrow)

3. Depends which image you download, some are premodified, some you need to add kexts. Even premodified ones will need some customization on most hardware.

YES! guide posted tomorrow :)

nice! but isnt the whole point of this to run an untouch copy of your retail dvd out of its box. But anyways this would be nice, need to buy some DL dvd's

I said I would write a guide on how to do this a few days ago but I was busy. I will write it tomorrow :P

1. no issues.

YES! guide posted tomorrow ;)

really? could of sworn I said something like that.. lol anyway want to make it joint? A Guide is going to be tough Though, thanks to the fact that you really have to pay attention to what everything does, such as onboarddisplay.kext. Basically If you get a Kalyway Boot to work and you want everything working like a retail mac you have to edit every single kext in your extensions folder. Yes there are a few that aren't a requirement for a perfect installation, say about 40 or 50 of them, Still there is alot you still have to do to get every feature working,

We should Make a pack of edited kexts that aren't driver specific, Like ones that emulate the basics, such as that heads up display that happens when you change the sound volume etc... this drivers (if They work the way I think they do) are at least all of the IO's. plus a few others. also files to note would be files that all drivers Depend on. This would make the installation of Retail Mac a quick and easy process for everyone.

I am thinking of making a project for this, anyone willing to help? Private message me if you are interested.

the guide i am making is for people who can boot the retail dvd but:

a) want to avoid the hassle of swapping disks

:P want to install to MBR partitions

this disk will install an untouched copy of leopard, just as if you were using a retail disk. The retail partition will only have one file changed, so it's pretty much as close to retail as you can get without using retail, and much less of an undertaking than what you describe.

From what you say it looks as if you want to make some kind of modified dvd (à la kalyway) but using the DFE bootloader. Is this correct? For those who want the untouchedness of a retail install, doesn't this defeat the point? Or do you mean something like solely editing the /extra/extensions folder? I had an idea similar to this for personal use, but yes, a guide for everyone would be a bigger job.

You mention editing every kext in your extension folder, which puzzles me. For compatible systems there are only a few kexts that will need editing. Let me know your thoughts.

Hi mate,

I have made a copy of my retail disc and made it a SL-DVD with the file that you provided, I have restarted the computer with the boot-132 cd & then swaped it for the SL-DVD, but when I type 9f it just goes back to the boot prompt.

DO you have any ideas what is wrong?

p.s Will you be able to make your guide to include how to make a 100% working SL-DVD that contains the boot-132 loader aswell?

Hi mate,

I have made a copy of my retail disc and made it a SL-DVD with the file that you provided, I have restarted the computer with the boot-132 cd & then swaped it for the SL-DVD, but when I type 9f it just goes back to the boot prompt.

DO you have any ideas what is wrong?

p.s Will you be able to make your guide to include how to make a 100% working SL-DVD that contains the boot-132 loader aswell?

i think you are burning sl-dvd on a leporad machine. This is a problem.

try it on tiger and it will work.

people i found 1 big mistake people are making.

If you are using Nvidia 8 or 9 series card then retail 10.5 disc wont work with generic and most of the iso.

this is why people are getting kernel panic. Since there is no driver in 10.5 retail disc and if any injector like nvinject force to load up graphics kext, it creates kernel panic.

I found elastic iso to be free of any injector and that's why its working for most with latest card. After installing just update 10.5 to 10.5.4 and everything should work fine.

or else you can get 10.5.2 retail disc and install without any problem, since it has all the nvidia kext needed to rock and roll.

hope this help.

the guide i am making is for people who can boot the retail dvd but:

a) want to avoid the hassle of swapping disks

:wacko: want to install to MBR partitions

this disk will install an untouched copy of leopard, just as if you were using a retail disk. The retail partition will only have one file changed, so it's pretty much as close to retail as you can get without using retail, and much less of an undertaking than what you describe.

From what you say it looks as if you want to make some kind of modified dvd (à la kalyway) but using the DFE bootloader. Is this correct? For those who want the untouchedness of a retail install, doesn't this defeat the point? Or do you mean something like solely editing the /extra/extensions folder? I had an idea similar to this for personal use, but yes, a guide for everyone would be a bigger job.

You mention editing every kext in your extension folder, which puzzles me. For compatible systems there are only a few kexts that will need editing. Let me know your thoughts.

Hmmm... My facts might be off a bit I will have to test them but if I remember correctly I did not have the pop-up displays on my computer until I put a kext into my boot folder, I guess I am probably incorrect on this as the ones that need to be in your extra/extensions folder for the full macintosh experience already have the load on boot string.

I apologize for that.

yup. burn it in tiger.

"be the change you wish to see in the world." Ghandhi stole that from me.

kidding :wacko:

Hi mate,

Still does boot the DVD, after loading the boot-132 and typed 9f, it just goes back to the boot prompt.

NSCXP2005

p.s burnt using Tiger

try just hitting the ESC key , then swap out the boot cd for the Retail DVD. when the light on the dvd drive goes out then hit enter you should have to type nothing. Try it out and see if that works.