New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs

f41qu3

1,286 posts in this topic

Can you back up your Kexts files for your video, SATA ports, and Nic, and upload them for me in a zip. will make you a cd that boots. also can you make sure you have a good copy of the retail disc. (that might just be the problems you are having)

Hi just tried it out, it does not work.

Any ideas?

In another thread i noticed you mentioned you are booting the DFE bootloader from a usb stick. Have you actually burned it to a cd and tried that?

As far as i know you cannot boot from usb stick bootloader to leopard dvd as the bios does not think of the dvd drive as a boot device unless it has actually booted from the dvd drive to begin with.

No I booted from a boot CD, not the USB stick as it didn't work.

The problem I have is.

I have tried it with a mates retail disc the only problem I have is that I have to format the drive as GUID, but I would prefer to install it on a MBR.

I have made a copy of the retail disc and taken out the Languages & XTools & replaced to OSInstall.mpkg (Your file), but when I burn it to SL-DVDR it does not seem to load, just keeps going back to the boot prompt.

The kexts I am using is from this ISO

http://rapidshare.com/files/130759556/generic-laptop.rar.html

The boot CD works great with the original retail DVD, but not with the copy.

Any ideas how I can make the SL-DVD version of the retail DVD work?

Thanks

NSCXP2005

My Boot Helper Script Versions 2.5 is now ready for general consumption. you can get ahold of it at the following.. ** LINK REMOVED DUE TO ADDITIONAL REQUIRED TESTS **

Now includes support for making only a ramdisk or mkext, updating the ramdisk on a flash drive, and creating bootable isos with grub and isolinux (grub support is still sketchy at the moment.)

Give it a test and tell me of your results on the huland #chameleon channel.

Good luck with the tests.

~Galaxy

i am making my dvd dl to install on mbr

i have a question,

is it possible to update using the apple update with out using the retail dvd method, which would fry your install, then boot up with the dfe bootloader with disabler, smbiosenabler and such, then use that install as a total vanilla same as retail or woud the update totally screw things up and the bootloader not help? I have a test partition in osx for testing, if anyone else things this will work i want to try it. It would be an easy way to upgrade from patched dvd to retail if it works. Any ideas? Thanks

Ok, I am slightly confused here. I am using a vanilla install of the Leo4All v2 which is up'd to 10.5.4 ... what would teh benefiet be to me for me to erase my existing install and go straight from the DVD? Maybe I am stupid or something, but I can already do most updates direct from Apple ... and in theory, wouldnt the updates that break the leo4all install break an original install too (since those updates appear to be ones which replace or modify dsmos etc...)

What kexts are needed to use with the ASRock P4Dual-915GL? All I get is the Apple Logo when booting from the Leopard Install DVD.

Thanks

i get the same thing...i get the apple logo and then it freezes at the logo...i haven't gone past that.... these are my specs Pentium 4 530 (P) HT 3.0 GHz Intel 915P Asus PTGD-LR ATI Radeon x300se Realtek ALC 880 chipset

When created ISO, en boot with iso (CD).

i Get the error, apple boot.plist not found.

DOn 't have this error with othere makeboot script ???

As long as there is no boot.plist on the contents of the CD it will give this error regardless of which script or method is used to create it.

people i found 1 big mistake people are making.

If you are using Nvidia 8 or 9 series card then retail 10.5 disc wont work with generic and most of the iso.

this is why people are getting kernel panic. Since there is no driver in 10.5 retail disc and if any injector like nvinject force to load up graphics kext, it creates kernel panic.

I found elastic iso to be free of any injector and that's why its working for most with latest card. After installing just update 10.5 to 10.5.4 and everything should work fine.

or else you can get 10.5.2 retail disc and install without any problem, since it has all the nvidia kext needed to rock and roll.

hope this help.

Where's Elastic ISO in this forum?

I have just used one of the boot-132 iso's to do a completely vanilla install on my GA-P35-DS4 and everything works 100%. So awesome. This is truly a milestone for osx86.

The boot-132 iso I used has some kind of chameleon on it, it seems. It basically boots up and then gives me a boot loader prompt, which I can then select either HD or the DVD driver to boot from a normal OSX boot disc.

I have a question.

I would like to know if there is any possibility of using the Boot-132 method to create a bootable disc that will boot up with not only the boot-132 bootloader and chameleon EFI, but also can contain all the OSX boot up stuff on the same disc so that I don't have to swap discs. ??

I have successfully ran a partition restore using boot-132 to boot up EFI boot loader, then I booted with Retail DVD and ran disk utility to restore a partition. It all worked perfectly, but the only problem was that the dmg had to be on my spare HD to work. There was no way to swap the dvd disc since I was booted from the retail DVD. If I could boot from a single DVD disc that has everything on it (boot-132, minimal osx boot stuff, disk utility and DMG file), then I could do a single disc restore.

Is this currently possible with boot-132 to have the boot up stuff on the same disc in order to not only boot EFI bootloader, but also go ahead and boot up a minimal OSX from the same disc?

im geussing the generic.iso is what i need to boot with first before i boot with retail right? its only 40mb thou, but im getting the OS from the retail disk right?

If you want to have boot132 + an entire leopard retail disk on one dvd check out my guide below

Convert Retail Leopard dvd into self-bootable backup

Finialy thanks for responding. I know im a new member with my first post being help me so i can see how people just laugh. But i dont know if thats what i need i downloaded this thing called generic.iso and i geuss you burn it to a disk boot from it then you can boot from apple retail disk. I tried using a diffrent method before..

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=116684

using this guide http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-...acking-required

but as you can see from the first link it didnt work but this method where you can boot from retail sounds much better.

THanks for helping guys.

hi STLVNUB,

i dont know if anyones asked this before but help me out just as well. i followed your instructions by installing retail leo on a partition then replacing the "boot" on my chameleon and it works like a charm thanks for the tutorial but how to i set it to autoboot like it usually would say instantly or after say a 5 sec timeout?....

right now i have to manaully select the partition or it will stay at the boot menu.i have 2 partitions on the disk and test install is on the first

anyone who knows how feel free to answer thanks.

Assuming you are using MBR.(haven't tried with guid disk,but SHOULD work the same.)

Try Installing Chameleon.

This will put the boot file and boot1h onto the root of your Install

Confirm Chameleon loader works by rebooting.

Mount the DFE iso image

Copy all files to a folder, e.g MKIso on your Desktop

Take the 'BOOT' file and cp to root, REPLACING the Chameleon boot file.

You can re-name it to 'boot' if you like, I don't think it matters.

Then mount the initrd.img and take the 'Extra' folder and put it on root.

Play around with the Extra/Extensions kexts to get it to work on your system.

Be sure to put into the plist of any kext added the following lines

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

This goes before the last two lines

</dict>

</plist>

So it looks like this

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Most important you get this right.

I see no reason why this will not work on your current setup.

Once you have this sorted out you SHOULD be able to do Software Updates NO PROBLEM

Next mount Desktop/MKIso/initrd.img

and replace the Extra folder in it with the one from root.

Then open terminal and cp/paste the following line.

hdiutil makehybrid -o Desktop/new.iso Desktop/MKIso/ -iso -eltorito-boot Desktop/MKIso/ISOLINUX.BIN -no-emul-boot

This will put new.iso on your Desktop.

Try out this iso.

IF you have the HD space

Install vanilla Leopard onto seperate partition.

Replace 'boot' on this root with 'boot' from your NOW working DFE Kalyway install as well as the Extra folder.

Reboot and do Import user in setup(Do this so that all your old setting are restored).

You should now be able to UPDATE without ANY dramas.

icon1.gif

If you are feeling adventurous you can also MAKE a bootable retail with Toast.

Use the DISK IMAGE MERGE section under IMAGE FILE in the COPY tab.

Select ISO...The iso you just made previously

Select MAC..Your Retail DL/SL image in dmg/cdr/toast format

Toast it.

Bootable Retail with NO swapping DVD.

Hope this helps

Finialy thanks for responding. I know im a new member with my first post being help me so i can see how people just laugh.
No offence but I suggest that you do a lot more reading on this forum especially the Tutorials section & then come back asking your questions. All the information is here often in excellently written step by step guides. In the long run it will be far more useful to you to research for yourself & not expec to be spoon fed.

Most importantly before you go any further check that your hardware is actually capable of running OS X.

hi STLVNUB,

i dont know if anyones asked this before but help me out just as well. i followed your instructions by installing retail leo on a partition then replacing the "boot" on my chameleon and it works like a charm thanks for the tutorial but how to i set it to autoboot like it usually would say instantly or after say a 5 sec timeout?....

right now i have to manaully select the partition or it will stay at the boot menu.i have 2 partitions on the disk and test install is on the first

anyone who knows how feel free to answer thanks.

I have this same problem, and i believe the answer will be to simply wait for chameleon with boot-132 built into it (or the other way around). An annoyance for sure, but not a dealbreaker for me.

cant boot in intel p4

Well, you didn't supply much info - but unless you did something other than boot the boot-132 CD and then try to boot the retail install dvd you got the expected result.

The retail dvd uses the vanilla kernel and the boot-132 cd does nothing to change that. The vanilla kernel requires a cpu of the core 2 duo type. If you wish to boot the retail dvd with a P4 cpu you will need to make a modified version of the install dvd that uses a modbin patched kernel.

Search, and read, the various threads in these fora. There are several guides that will tell you how.

I found here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...hl=ga-g33m+ds2r that is fully compatibile mobo. I tried Kalyway and Leo4All with succes.

Last weekend I tried to install from instalation dvd bundled with 24-inch iMac using BOOT-132 on my pc. Installer loaded and after choosing language got the message that the software can't be installed on my machine :)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R (BIOS F7)

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600

RAM: 4X1GB OCZ SpecOps 800MHz

Graphics: nVidia Quadro 570 FX/256MB/PCI-Express 16 (tried integrated GMA X3100 too)

1st HDD: WD Raptor 37GB SATA 150

2nd HDD: Seagate 400GB SATA 300

DVD: Liteon LH-20A1S (SATA)

What's wrong? Can You help me?