New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs

f41qu3

1,286 posts in this topic

Actually, all this can be accomplished entirely in windows with transmac & ultraiso (trial versions will do, at least for 30 days)

open the ISO with UltraISO, drag the initrd.img out of it. make a .dmg with transmac (10mb should do) add the kexts (which look like folders in windows) and when you're done, rename the .dmg to initrd.img & drag it into the ISO in ultraiso.

burn & enjoy.

that is what i did .......VERY EASY....i did it with the trial version!! 300mb or less

Alright guys you all will have to forgive me for not reading all the pages in this thread. I am going to ask my question.

Has anyone set up a method for getting this set up on a usb stick from os x?

If they have can someone also please post links to the commands / files needed to get it working. Thx guys :)

How to create bootable USB with BOOT-132 loader from Windows.

Its useful only for already installed Leo.

1) Download syslinux from here. (Must be version 3.63)

2) Unpack zip somewhere. (Ex: c:\temp)

3) Connect you USB Drive.

4) Open cmd and go to the unpacked folder\win32 directory. (Ex: c:\temp\win32)

5) Run syslinux.exe -ma <drive letter>: (Ex: syslinux.exe -ma f:)

6) Copy all files from CD to your USB Drive (mboot.c32, boot, initrd.img, isolinux.bin)

7) From folder isolinux copy isolinux.cfg to USB Drive root f:\.

8) Rename isolinux.bin to syslinux.sys and isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg.

9) Enjoy you bootable USB Bootloader... :)

The idea after this, is to leave Leo installation untoucheble.

To apply all the patches at USB Drive... :)

p.s. Just for the info.

After Leo boot you can edit yours initrd.img right on USB Flash, just by attaching initrd.img and drug'n'drop your files inside initd drive. :)

p.p.s. When you booting from USB Drive, your Hard Drive going to be a Secondary, you must to enter 81 not 80 to boot.

here is the usb tutorial by stickpin.....(oh you mean for osx.......nevermind)

Alright guys you all will have to forgive me for not reading all the pages in this thread. I am going to ask my question.

Has anyone set up a method for getting this set up on a usb stick from os x?

If they have can someone also please post links to the commands / files needed to get it working. Thx guys :)

No DVD boot from USB yet.. harddrive partitions can be booted from usb, and I've done that quite a bit, either with syslinux or grub as bootlader.. with grub you can add different initrd.img's for different hardware support, and load one according to need..

I've combined this with a retail dvd restored to a usb stick to get a system that will install on different (intel only) hardware.

but for now, it's a cd to boot a DVD, or a usb stick to boot a harddrive.

I dunno what to say as far as commands go.. I followed a linux tutorial to add grub to the usb stick, put all the files in /boot and use the prompt to specify:

kernel /boot/boot

module /boot/mboot.c32

modulenounzip /boot/initrd.img

boot

The alternative is to use windows, run syslinux.exe on the stick and add the files and script as per stickpin's tutorial (which I may dig up a link to in a minute if I don't fall asleep)

[edit] oh goody, someone got it first :)

No DVD boot from USB yet.. harddrive partitions can be booted from usb, and I've done that quite a bit, either with syslinux or grub as bootlader.. with grub you can add different initrd.img's for different hardware support, and load one according to need..

I've combined this with a retail dvd restored to a usb stick to get a system that will install on different (intel only) hardware.

but for now, it's a cd to boot a DVD, or a usb stick to boot a harddrive.

I dunno what to say as far as commands go.. I followed a linux tutorial to add grub to the usb stick, put all the files in /boot and use the prompt to specify:

kernel /boot/boot

module /boot/mboot.c32

modulenounzip /boot/initrd.img

boot

The alternative is to use windows, run syslinux.exe on the stick and add the files and script as per stickpin's tutorial (which I may dig up a link to in a minute if I don't fall asleep)

[edit] oh goody, someone got it first :(

Thanks Hagar

Success on the P5W DH Deluxe board. Minor issue i must be retarded on. Audio has straight up and left. No dice. I'm sure it is a minor "Durr I'm missing a kext" but if someone could share. that'd be great. If not I'll dig around my Kalyway disc for it.

NOTE: MUST boot with "-F" or you'll hang on the itunes kext. (not a big deal to boot with "-F" because I barely restart as it is. I'm also booting from a usb stick.

Here's my kext list (generic +/- some)

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleACPIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleLPC.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

JMicronATA.kext

NVKush.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

PS. I have a 7600GT installed as well. Seems nothing has really changed there. the chipset still reads "Can I Has a Model?" Which i what I had before updates and the resolution is the same. Just wondering if it ACTUALLY would read the model number.

Success on the P5W DH Deluxe board. Minor issue i must be retarded on. Audio has straight up and left. No dice. I'm sure it is a minor "Durr I'm missing a kext" but if someone could share. that'd be great. If not I'll dig around my Kalyway disc for it.

NOTE: MUST boot with "-F" or you'll hang on the itunes kext. (not a big deal to boot with "-F" because I barely restart as it is. I'm also booting from a usb stick.

Here's my kext list (generic +/- some)

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleACPIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleLPC.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

JMicronATA.kext

NVKush.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

PS. I have a 7600GT installed as well. Seems nothing has really changed there. the chipset still reads "Can I Has a Model?" Which i what I had before updates and the resolution is the same. Just wondering if it ACTUALLY would read the model number.

Got it working. Dont know if it is perfect like it is now by installing via the retail disc. Im sure im missing some kexts here and there. I'll dig through and see if i can't pick out the packages that NEED to be installed post retail install and add them to a P5W iso if anyone wants it.

My method was Kalyway 10.5.1 then added these kexts to a flashdrive:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleACPIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleLPC.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

JMicronATA.kext

NVKush.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

Does not require the "-f" when booting. As for fresh retail install? Not going to really try it because I don't have a spare hard drive laying around. The plus side is the JMicron controller is actually seeing all my IDE and SATA components.

I tried to read through the fast growing 24pages but I did not find an answer for my question.

I wish to apply this (or similar) system on my main hard drive boot. Allowing an upgradable retail installation, only modified by some kexts at boot.

Can this than be installed on the hard drive instead of the USB stick or cd/dvd?

Appreciated if someone could clarify this for me.

Hello,

read the post from STLVNUB on page 21! Works for me, now have an easy upgradeble system.

regards

shila

Assuming you are using MBR.(haven't tried with guid disk,but SHOULD work the same.)

Try Installing Chameleon.

This will put the boot file and boot1h onto the root of your Install

Confirm Chameleon loader works by rebooting.

Mount the DFE iso image

Copy all files to a folder, e.g MKIso on your Desktop

Take the 'BOOT' file and cp to root, REPLACING the Chameleon boot file.

You can re-name it to 'boot' if you like, I don't think it matters.

Then mount the initrd.img and take the 'Extra' folder and put it on root.

Play around with the Extra/Extensions kexts to get it to work on your system.

Be sure to put into the plist of any kext added the following lines

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

This goes before the last two lines

</dict>

</plist>

So it looks like this

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Most important you get this right.

I see no reason why this will not work on your current setup.

Once you have this sorted out you SHOULD be able to do Software Updates NO PROBLEM

Next mount Desktop/MKIso/initrd.img

and replace the Extra folder in it with the one from root.

Then open terminal and cp/paste the following line.

hdiutil makehybrid -o Desktop/new.iso Desktop/MKIso/ -iso -eltorito-boot Desktop/MKIso/ISOLINUX.BIN -no-emul-boot

This will put new.iso on your Desktop.

Try out this iso.

IF you have the HD space

Install vanilla Leopard onto seperate partition.

Replace 'boot' on this root with 'boot' from your NOW working DFE Kalyway install as well as the Extra folder.

Reboot and do Import user in setup(Do this so that all your old setting are restored).

You should now be able to UPDATE without ANY dramas.

icon1.gif

If you are feeling adventurous you can also MAKE a bootable retail with Toast.

Use the DISK IMAGE MERGE section under IMAGE FILE in the COPY tab.

Select ISO...The iso you just made previously

Select MAC..Your Retail DL/SL image in dmg/cdr/toast format

Toast it.

Bootable Retail with NO swapping DVD.

Hope this helps

Thread given a rough cleanup, if your post is gone, sorry, but there was loads of off-topic general install stuff in there, and the same questions were being asked over & over again because people didn't read from the beginning to see that it was answered ~4 pages back.

Hope this makes it easier to read & understand.

[edit]

And now that it's only 14 13 pages instead of 30+ PLEASE read thorough *the whole thing* before posting, to avoid the same mess happening again.

Hi - Is it possible to use this method to install into VMware? I'm trying to install into VMWare fusion right now but getting a stack fault... Anyone done this yet?

I think not work in VMware. Had lots of incompatibility. Try use on real machine install.

:)

Ok, i won't ask for help with my specific hardware, but can someone simply explain how to resize the IMG that includes the kexts, someone told that its size is related to the boot time and i only need a few kexts (about 1,2Mo). And i think that a lot of people are like me. And when i try the resize command presented in the usb tutorial, it just tells me the minimum size is about 20,5Mo.

Ok, i won't ask for help with my specific hardware, but can someone simply explain how to resize the IMG that includes the kexts

open terminal and type

hdiutil attach -readwrite (drop your image here)

If this doesn'twork, use the diskutility to convert the image to readwrite first. Then mount or attach it with the above command ;)

Ok, i won't ask for help with my specific hardware, but can someone simply explain how to resize the IMG that includes the kexts, someone told that its size is related to the boot time and i only need a few kexts (about 1,2Mo). And i think that a lot of people are like me. And when i try the resize command presented in the usb tutorial, it just tells me the minimum size is about 20,5Mo.

Link for script to resize (.sh) is on #1st topic.

I am trying to make a bootable USB Stick buy I keep gtting the following error message

"Access physical drive: access is denied"

"Did not successfully update the MBR; continuing"

Does anybody know how to get it to work?

Just wanted to let people know that I have this working on my Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. This is a big step for us, since we now don't have to use an IDE => SATA converter for our DVD-R drives. However, one down side is that I couldn't get the retail DVD to boot properly unless using -f at the Darwin boot prompt (therefore forcing all kext's to load, otherwise some are replaced for the ones on the DVD).

After 10.5 installation succeeded, I used STLVNUB's instructions so there was no need for booting the CD and therefore no need to wait for initrd.img to load. After that, I went from 10.5 => 10.5.4 with no hassle at all.

One thing I would work on: When you place kext's inside initrd.img that are also present on the retail DVD, some are replaced (I think because their version number is lower than the one on the DVD). So if you could come up with a way to prevent the DVD from loading or replacing certain kext's the are present in the initrd.img file, if will remove the need for booting with -f.

Either way - you've done a fantastic job. One of the biggest annoyances with OSx86 is updating, and you guys have solved it. My thanks go out to all the Dev's and Beta testers who worked on this.

- Sabr.

Got it working. Dont know if it is perfect like it is now by installing via the retail disc. Im sure im missing some kexts here and there. I'll dig through and see if i can't pick out the packages that NEED to be installed post retail install and add them to a P5W iso if anyone wants it.

My method was Kalyway 10.5.1 then added these kexts to a flashdrive:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleACPIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleLPC.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

JMicronATA.kext

NVKush.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

Does not require the "-f" when booting. As for fresh retail install? Not going to really try it because I don't have a spare hard drive laying around. The plus side is the JMicron controller is actually seeing all my IDE and SATA components.

Well

I suggest to all to reboot after the update with -f -x then the next time u can boot it normaly.

Is what i did and is working fine here...with cd and dvd, i used the basic kalyway kexts, i wanna try to get the perfect iso for the p5w dh deluxe but im sure ill fight with audio...

Just wanted to let people know that I have this working on my Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. This is a big step for us, since we now don't have to use an IDE => SATA converter for our DVD-R drives. However, one down side is that I couldn't get the retail DVD to boot properly unless using -f at the Darwin boot prompt (therefore forcing all kext's to load, otherwise some are replaced for the ones on the DVD).

After 10.5 installation succeeded, I used STLVNUB's instructions so there was no need for booting the CD and therefore no need to wait for initrd.img to load. After that, I went from 10.5 => 10.5.4 with no hassle at all.

One thing I would work on: When you place kext's inside initrd.img that are also present on the retail DVD, some are replaced (I think because their version number is lower than the one on the DVD). So if you could come up with a way to prevent the DVD from loading or replacing certain kext's the are present in the initrd.img file, if will remove the need for booting with -f.

Either way - you've done a fantastic job. One of the biggest annoyances with OSx86 is updating, and you guys have solved it. My thanks go out to all the Dev's and Beta testers who worked on this.

- Sabr.

I have both your board on my server, and the gigabyte Ga-p35-DS3L on my main, and im begining to wonder if the lack of -f when booting the dvd is whats keeping it from fully loading?

Well

I suggest to all to reboot after the update with -f -x then the next time u can boot it normaly.

Is what i did and is working fine here...with cd and dvd, i used the basic kalyway kexts, i wanna try to get the perfect iso for the p5w dh deluxe but im sure ill fight with audio...

Audio isn't as bad as advertised. I plucked a ALC882.pkg (or something along the lines of that, im at work and dont have it in front of me). So to get the audio working make sure AppleAC97Audio.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext are in your INITRD.IMG once you boot you will not have audio until you double-click and install the pkg. then restart and I got my audio back.

Just make the image with the following kexts and just normally boot. No -f no -x

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleACPIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleLPC.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

JMicronATA.kext

NVInject.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

I have both your board on my server, and the gigabyte Ga-p35-DS3L on my main, and im begining to wonder if the lack of -f when booting the dvd is whats keeping it from fully loading?

Yes, that's right, it won't work unless you use -f.

JMicronATA.kext (the patched version which we need inside initrd.dmg) is replaced with the one on the DVD (the un-patched version) unless you boot with -f. As you probably know, this kext needs to be ran on our boards otherwise the DVD just repeats the "Still waiting for root device..." error.

As I said in my previous post, (I'm pretty sure) it's to do with the kext version - some of the kexts on the DVD have a newer version, so it thinks the that one is better doesn't use the one you put inside initrd dmg. Therefore, to get around it, you need to boot with -f so that the kext's are forced to load. The main annoying thing with doing this is that it takes an age for each kext to load from the DVD.

I haven't tried it, but it might be possible to edit a string in the version.plist file of each kext...?

Audio isn't as bad as advertised. I plucked a ALC882.pkg (or something along the lines of that, im at work and dont have it in front of me). So to get the audio working make sure AppleAC97Audio.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext are in your INITRD.IMG once you boot you will not have audio until you double-click and install the pkg. then restart and I got my audio back.

Just make the image with the following kexts and just normally boot. No -f no -x

ACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleACPIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleLPC.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

JMicronATA.kext

NVInject.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

Yeah, got it, you miss the IOAHCIFamily.kext patched, if you will use the AHCI sata.

I want to try also the decrypt.kext instead the dsmos.kext

After the 10.5.4 update i HAD to reboot with -f-x, was the first think i dan!

so maybe not necessary...

This is great. :)

Just ran one of the isos downloaded in this thread (contents.dmg - thanks for that)

Used the retail disk, and completed the installation. Ran all the updates successfully from Apple Software Update.

The other isos I dloaded kept giving me a waiting for boot error (common on Dell Vostros I think)

Had to use the -f flag, but used one of the posts earlier in the thread, (thanks once again), copied the extensions.mkext from the initrd.img to the osx installation and now booting without the -f flag.

Have an evga 8800GT 512mb, dloaded the nvinstaller 4.1 chose the 512mb ram option, ran pcwiz's osx86 tools to fix permissions, rebooted, and now have selectable resolutions, but unfortunately no QE/CI (any help appreciated via pm as we don't want to clog this thread, do we?)

Still have the sound to sort out, but that can wait..!

Anyway, this is a great leap and thanks to all the super duper people involved in making this happen :)

Dell Vostro 200

evga 8800GT 512mb

e4500 cpu