New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs

f41qu3

1,286 posts in this topic

Ok......

What is the best .iso for my set up in my sig "machine being built"

Should I go with the original boot-132, the "Generic.iso" or should I create a whole new image with the proper kexts....?

If I need to create a new .iso what kexts do I need and how would I go about patching the .iso in a leopard enviornment.

Also... If i have a Downloaded image of leopard burned to a Dual Layer DVD will it play nice with boot-132????

thanx............

I tried the CDBoot_RC2.sh script from the link in the first post. I had some problems with it and, also, I don't like needing to add items to the root filesystem or my desktop.

I made modifications to the script to place all the variables at the very top of the script and then use the variables in the appropriate places in the body of the script. This allows the initial iso file and the kext directory to be placed, along with the shell script, in any directory - on any drive you chose. I think that provides better organization and it allows for much easier changes if any of the names need to change later on.

I tested the script and was able to boot the resulting dvd+rw ( don't have any CD RW disks )

I have included a link to the modified script below - should anyone wish to use it. The original developers are free to take it and build on it if desired.

I improved the variable name use and added a copy for com.apple.Boot.plist. I don't know if this actually has the desired effect, but I saw someone suggest it - so.

cp ./com.apple.Boot.plist  /Volumes/initrd/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

The link to the updated script is:

I've been messing with this for awhile now and just wanting to confirm some info from other users, since it has probably been done by now, but im running a P5W DH Deluxe and it is pretty solid using kalyway 10.5. Also running a 7600gt. I'm looking to keep the Hard Drive strictly vanilla and updatable without replacing kexts from the usb. I've made my own efix you could say cause i ripped a flash drive apart and attached a pinheader to some breadboard and added the device to the motherboard pins. Loads and boots fine however whats the list of kexts to keep the p5w practically flawless? Like im pretty sure the audio is native vanilla and everything else is but the iffy parts i see are the network drivers, the 7600gt, and maybe the ATA controller. Currently I am using 1.5.1 and have my Jmicron in the bios enabled and seems to work fine with pc_efi v8. Only drawback is when it loads leopard it i get the error that it cant mount the EZBackup from the motherboard. oh boy. Im wanting to load all my kext and driver kexts on the USB device and have those load at all times. Only problem is i have a mix of ATA and SATA components

SATA: 500gb Leopard/Storage

ATA: LG DVD and 250gb (Windows)

Any advice?

I got dsmos.kext properly loaded, I could see how it was loaded before the kext on the dvd were. But again...beachball.

That's how I did (but didn't pass the beachball)

1.- Extracted initrd.img with Winiso

2.- Inserted dsmos.kext with Transmac

3.- Deleted original initrd.img and insert new initrd.img with Winiso

4.- Burn.

Winiso will not let me extract it, it just says unsupported file type. How annoying is that!

Oh you used transmac to edit it, duh!

How to create bootable USB with BOOT-132 loader from Windows.Its useful only for already installed Leo.1) Download syslinux from here. (Must be version 3.63)2) Unpack zip somewhere. (Ex: c:\temp)3) Connect you USB Drive.4) Open cmd and go to the unpacked folder\win32 directory. (Ex: c:\temp\win32)5) Run syslinux.exe -ma <drive letter>: (Ex: syslinux.exe -ma f:)6) Copy all files from CD to your USB Drive (mboot.c32, boot, initrd.img, isolinux.bin)7) From folder isolinux copy isolinux.cfg to USB Drive root f:\.8) Rename isolinux.bin to syslinux.sys and isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg.9) Enjoy you bootable USB Bootloader... <_< The idea after this, is to leave Leo installation untoucheble. To apply all the patches at USB Drive... :)p.s. Just for the info. After Leo boot you can edit yours initrd.img right on USB Flash, just by attaching initrd.img and drug'n'drop your files inside initd drive. :)p.p.s. When you booting from USB Drive, your Hard Drive going to be a Secondary, you must to enter 81 not 80 to boot.
Can 't find the isolinux.cfg anywhere ?????
I tried the syslinux.exe method (USB) but it ALMOST worked.After carefully doing the steps and tried to boot to the USB, I see the initial boot then goes to Darwin. However, In darwin, it give me an option to boot right away > It says hd(0,1) and I can't type anything. When I press enter, I just see "Calling Chainbooter" and its just stuck there.Did I do something wrong?cheersEDIT: I also tried the -ma option and I still have the same thing. Calling Chainbooter
Also have this message when booting from USB ????

People, I'm confused. Maybe is a ver dumb question but here we go :(

I have the rig in my sig (vanilla compatible), prepared a CD with my kexts and also a USB stick.

I can boot from the CD and at the darwin prompt I replace the CD with the Retail DVD but if I choose one of the options (eg 80) it boots the CD image all over again instead of the contents of the retail DVD. When I choose the other two digit option it shows my two hackintosh partitions with Kalyway Leo 10.5.4 installs (one stable and one for testing).

Also, I'm getting this error just in the end of the CD or USB stick:

post-5507-1215233565_thumb.jpg

So my problem is: I cannot boot from the retail VD after the darvin prompt, aparently it can't find my DVD :/

PS: all my drives are SATA II, including my DVD-R drive.

People, I'm confused. Maybe is a ver dumb question but here we go :(

I have the rig in my sig (vanilla compatible), prepared a CD with my kexts and also a USB stick.

I can boot from the CD and at the darwin prompt I replace the CD with the Retail DVD but if I choose one of the options (eg 80) it boots the CD image all over again instead of the contents of the retail DVD. When I choose the other two digit option it shows my two hackintosh partitions with Kalyway Leo 10.5.4 installs (one stable and one for testing).

Also, I'm getting this error just in the end of the CD or USB stick:

post-5507-1215233565_thumb.jpg

So my problem is: I cannot boot from the retail VD after the darvin prompt, aparently it can't find my DVD :/

PS: all my drives are SATA II, including my DVD-R drive.

There no need to type options, when just starting to install your Retail dvd.

Only when you wanna startup your system (after installl)

I don't think you understand my doubt :(

The thing is: I can't find the retail DVD on the list to boot from. The only devices I find is the CD or USB Stick I booted from and the destination HDD I want to install the retail Leaopard on.

I don't think you understand my doubt ;)

The thing is: I can't find the retail DVD on the list to boot from. The only devices I find is the CD or USB Stick I booted from and the destination HDD I want to install the retail Leaopard on.

when you get to the end of the bootcd ie at the no plist found msg, press enter, and replace the bootcd in your drive with your Mac Leopard retail dvd and press enter. (the no plist msg is ok). by default it assumes your cd/dvd drive, [9f] in my case.

Should I go with the original boot-132, the "Generic.iso" or should I create a whole new image with the proper kexts....?

If I need to create a new .iso what kexts do I need and how would I go about patching the .iso in a leopard enviornment.

Also... If i have a Downloaded image of leopard burned to a Dual Layer DVD will it play nice with boot-132????

thanx............

yes I have seen it in action and many other people have if you go over to netkas.org he has a video of him using and demonstrating in
That video is not very convincing. It doesn't show the PC BIOS or it POSTing. All it appears to show is a Leopard installation DVD being booted but who knows what the monitor is hooked up to or what is actually running. The EFI-X widget isn't shown. You certainly don't see Leopard being installed or running on the PC.

thanx............

Try the Generic.iso. It has a few of the most commonly used kexts included.

I have booted with the generic.iso, in the bootloader chaged to generic.iso with the original OS X Leopard Install-DVD. But after choosing the default language the installer says:

Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer.

This software cannot be installed on this computer.

Board: Gigabyte EP35-DS3

Harddisk: Connected via SATA (AHCI)

post-228051-1215245686_thumb.jpg

@dev team: could this solution be used to inject a better formed DSDT table to OSX too? I'm thinking of a web interface widget (think of something like the web apps that create .vmx files for vmware player) that could create a personalized profile config file based on your hardware.
wow, this is an *great* idea .. :2cents: - it would be awesome!

Devs?

Little Problem here:

This is what I did:

• boot with the CD
  • Darwin promt / no boot pl appears
  • press ESC
  • Switch to DVD
  • press Enter
  • DVD now appears as Start option
  • type -v Enter
  • Darwin from DVD is loaded (again?)
  • DVD starts loading some stuff
  • Suddenly the machine reboots and I can't install

I have an Asus Barebone with g945, Intel Core 2, 8600 GT and I am running Leo4all without any problems.

Does anybody haven an idea? Do I need to adjust something in the bios before doing an install from retail?

EDIT: Actually it seems that the kexts from the cd (ram) disk are loaded after switching to the Retail DVD and when this is finished the machine reboots. Does anyone have an idea what causes this?

Can 't find the isolinux.cfg anywhere ?????

It is on the iso cd-image in the folder isolinux.. /isolinux/isolinux.cfg

But it is a simple text-file so if you cannot find it you can create it just save the following in a plaintext-file as isolinux.cfg syslinux.cfg:

PROMPT 0
   TIMEOUT 90
   DEFAULT /mboot.c32 /boot --- /initrd.img
   APPEND biosdev=81

The code above is specially for the usb config.. it sets disc two as the default boot device...

On the cd the line "APPEND biosdev=81" should be removed.

I tried the syslinux.exe method (USB) but it ALMOST worked.After carefully doing the steps and tried to boot to the USB, I see the initial boot then goes to Darwin. However, In darwin, it give me an option to boot right away > It says hd(0,1) and I can't type anything. When I press enter, I just see "Calling Chainbooter" and its just stuck there.Did I do something wrong?cheersEDIT: I also tried the -ma option and I still have the same thing. Calling Chainbooter

Also have this message when booting from USB ????

Just press esc instead of enter.. that should take you back to the harddisk selector.. :2cents:

I have booted with the generic.iso, in the bootloader chaged to generic.iso with the original OS X Leopard Install-DVD. But after choosing the default language the installer says:

Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer.

This software cannot be installed on this computer.

Board: Gigabyte EP35-DS3

Harddisk: Connected via SATA (AHCI)

You had Restore DVD and not Retail DVD.

The USB Stick is great is like a little bit EFI-X but much better and real *gg*What we need is an graphical Bootloader with mouse and Keyboard Support then it will be perfekt!
Well Syslinux supports graphics.. I'm working on making a mod for the cd with graphics.. But it is the first time I have ever tried to setup such a thing manually so it takes some time to figure out the configuration..It won't have mouse support though... but it might be possible to use another bootmanager that has support for that...
What is the best .iso for my set up in my sig "machine being built"Should I go with the original boot-132, the "Generic.iso" or should I create a whole new image with the proper kexts....?If I need to create a new .iso what kexts do I need and how would I go about patching the .iso in a leopard enviornment.Also... If i have a Downloaded image of leopard burned to a Dual Layer DVD will it play nice with boot-132????thanx............
The generic.iso should work in most cases for the install.. but it is always a good idea to make your own if you can. Seach the forum and the HCL list to find kexts. Sorry but I'm not going to do that part of the work for you.. It is really not that hard to find the solutions, it just takes some time..If the image you burned is a retail version it should play nicely, but if you succeed with it and start using osx on your machine you really should go buy it..

Credits go to mtrr :-)

Using grub with DFE (no syslinux required!):

entry for Grub menu.lst

title OSX Loader

root (hd0,1)

kernel /boot/boot

modulenounzip /boot/initrd.img

entry for Grub2 grub.cnf:

menuentry "OSX Loader" {

set root=(hd0,1)

multiboot /boot/boot

module /boot/initrd.img

}

Hello! First of all great respect to all who made this possible!

I have a problem. If i use the MacBook Restore disk the system boots but the installation isn't working. Thats clear. But my problem is if i try to boot a copied Leopard 10.5.0 Retail Disk i get a message : "EBIOS read error: Device timeout /n Block 0 Sectors 64"

Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks, Thrawnhex