What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

Enter the following to darwin boot-prompt: "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" . You can also add it to com.apple.boot.plist to use it automatically on boot.

Too bad that there is no drivers support for 48xx yet. Perhaps I should get a used 8600GT or 2600Pro for hackintosh use :wallbash:

I've read that specifying 32bpp can cause problems in some situations, so I exclude it, I've also been loading xwindows with the above as a switch.

I use: -x "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024"

Someone mentioned using a widescreen resolution above, you can't unfortunately as all VESA resolutions are 4:3.

Cheers,

Jon.

Since the 4850 drivers aren't out yet i'm wondering does this mean I can install the kalyway disc and update it to 10.5.5 and keep. Will the card by default be running 1024x768 with everything disabled? or will it just not work and leave me with a black screen?

it works im running 1600x1200 but alot of stuff deosnt work like sleep... its pretty worthless really lol

tbh i think the best for now is either to stick with a cheap 9800GT if you are just running OSX.

If you got windows on there too and can effort it... go for 9800GX2 (X2) :(

it is nothing compared to 2x 4850 crossfire...

but well, do we have a chance? :(

it works im running 1600x1200 but alot of stuff deosnt work like sleep... its pretty worthless really lol

haha maybe so but my logic was i'l have a install all updated and with my various softwares installed and then all i'l need to do is pop in the drivers for the card when it comes out.

oh yeah one more thing i forgot to ask..now the 4850 has only 2xdvi ports and my lcd also has only 2 dvi ports...i read random stuff here and there about dvi not working and needing a dvi-vga adaptor in most cards etc....so whats the deal on that?

I don't get it, why does your LCD have 2 dvi ports??

For the rest of the question though, I use 2 HD LCDs with 4870x2 with no problem, both connected via HDCP DVI. And have never no trouble using 2 DVI with all cards I've had since I have 2 LCDs.

Hello,

I also managed to get to the point where everything is working except I run under VESA driver (EP45-DS3R + Q6600 + ATI HD4850).

I am using iDeneb 10.5.5 with option "Graphics Mode"="1600x1200x24".

I would say OSX is more than usable like this but one the main reasons for me to use OSX is iMovie and I am looking for a workaround like everybody here in order to activate QE.

My motherboard has got 2 PCI-E x16, do you think it would be possible to install a second very small graphic card well supported by OSX (like ATI HD2400 Pro for exemple which is less than 30€) just to enable iMovie.

I have 3 OS on my computer:

- Windows for games

- Ubuntu for tweaking and experimentations

- OSX for Video editing, and Music & Pictures database

Basically the idea would be to use the HD4850 under Windows and Ubuntu and HD2400 under OSX.

Do you think it is feasible?

Hello,

I also managed to get to the point where everything is working except I run under VESA driver (EP45-DS3R + Q6600 + ATI HD4850).

I would say OSX is more than usable like this but one the main reasons for me to use OSX is iMovie and I am looking for a workaround like everybody here in order to activate QE.

My motherboard has got 2 PCI-E x16, do you think it would be possible to install a second very small graphic card well supported by OSX (like ATI HD2400 Pro for exemple which is less than 30€) just to enable iMovie.

- Windows for games

Basically the idea would be to use the HD4850 under Windows and Ubuntu and HD2400 under OSX.

This is what I had planned on doing. Unfortunately I was unaware that the new cards require 2 12v rails. I can't power my x1900xtx and hd4870 to test this out. I don't see any reason why it would not work though.

subscribed =)

A little off topic, but i saw an faq saying our hackintoshes wouldn't work as well as a normal mac... i wonder why that is when the hardware is often equivalent-to-superior? (as the HD 48xx series seems to be at the moment..)

in that vein, assuming we do eventually get these cards working, is final cut a viable app on these computers? or a waste of time?

This is what I had planned on doing. Unfortunately I was unaware that the new cards require 2 12v rails. I can't power my x1900xtx and hd4870 to test this out. I don't see any reason why it would not work though.

It's unfortunate you have two demanding cards, but HD 2400 and GF 8400's are around £15/20 at the moment, if you need to in the future it shouldn't be too much money to give it a shot. Maybe you could sell the 1900 to a friend?

subscribed =)

A little off topic, but i saw an faq saying our hackintoshes wouldn't work as well as a normal mac... i wonder why that is when the hardware is often equivalent-to-superior? (as the HD 48xx series seems to be at the moment..)

in that vein, assuming we do eventually get these cards working, is final cut a viable app on these computers? or a waste of time?

I run BOINC on 10.5.5 and I get a higher CPU score than in Windows (Both 64 bit). Hackintosh has run even the most copy protected (by dongle or other hardware device) applications for me and a friend so far so I think the operating system is not as limited as people might want you to believe. Maybe drivers for other hardware isn't quite up to full optimisation but that's nothing really to do with OSX itself, there's no reason it should be slower if all hardware is properly supported.

I just look forward to the 48x0 support so I can run some complete benchmarks, and TF2 :)

Hello,

- Windows for games

yes this is what i plan on doing also

from what i have read, you put the osx gpu in the primary slot, and the windows one in the secondary slot. install the drivers in osx for that card, then in windows disable the card from device manager

please let me know how you go on.

9800GTX vs 4850: 4850 is WAY better.

I wouldnt say WAY better, but it is a bit better.

Personally, i wouldnt mind owning either, with the 9800GTX running a bit cooler and the 4850 running a bit faster. The difference is not so great that you would ever encounter a situation where you could not run something with the 9800GTX but you could with the 4850. For a start the 9800gtx works in leopard but the 4850 doesnt...

Anyway, back on topic so should the card be compatibile with the 10.5.6 update? Roughly how long would it take for this to be released? 1 week? 1 month? 4 months?

Thanks, i cant wait to use my 4850.