What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

Any idea why the current ATi HD48xx kexts aren't working?

Oh, I just saw this:

for 4850 we need ATINDRV.kext and ATIRNDRV.kext from new macbooks, in this update those kexts weren't updated (only plists where updated, binaries are not)

^Made a thread requesting someone uploads them... I guess if this post has been on the board for a while, someone would have tried it... or maybe no one really noticed him because of the really bad grammar (that I fixed in the quote).

each time i enter here i feel like crying, my poor 4670 displaying those horrid 1280*1024 images on my beatiful 22 incher. hope you can pull this off! and thanks for the hard work!

That will be my next card when it will be supported, so I'll check back here often too :)

Given that its all [loosely] based on unix I don't see why drivers should be incompatible between Linux and Mac OS X.

OS X is a unix like system, Linux and BSD [which both are unix like systems] have driver support from both ATi and Nvidia...

Why is it that no one has tried porting these open sourced drivers to OS X?

Why is everyone waiting for apple to do it?

You would think given the similarities it wouldn't be a difficult process to port drivers across from other unix like systems

Whilst I am in IT I'm not in that side of things, I know how things work but I wouldn't know the first thing about writing things to work.

I mean no disrespect so don't take this the wrong way but the people who post here don't seem to know much with regards to coding either...

Alls I'm saying is that it could be done... yes X runs a different front end [gui, call it what you will] but the underlying principal of why it works can't be that different to other unix like operating systems

Following on from what I said earlier - the original ATi kexts from the new macbooks are here. Someone might wanna try updating the plists in these kexts with those in the 1.2 update and see if that works.

I'm gonna try now.

*edit*

Didn't work =/

Hope there's a solution by next week...

Given that its all [loosely] based on unix I don't see why drivers should be incompatible between Linux and Mac OS X.

OS X is a unix like system, Linux and BSD [which both are unix like systems] have driver support from both ATi and Nvidia...

Why is it that no one has tried porting these open sourced drivers to OS X?

Why is everyone waiting for apple to do it?

You would think given the similarities it wouldn't be a difficult process to port drivers across from other unix like systems

Actually, there is quite a bit of difference between the Linux Kernel and the Mach Kernel, and how they both interface with hardware.

I'm not sure who told you that ATI's drivers are open source, but they're not opensource. They're proprietary.

I was just on ATI's site, and I couldn't find ATI's official drivers for the BSD platform, but if you have a link to the BSD 4800 drivers I'd love to take a look at them.