What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

Going to sell my HD4870.

Yesterday ordered a Nvidia 9600GT.

I think it will be ok too.

I think a good way - waiting too long (10.5.6, 10.5.7,...) gives less money for the sale of the newer used 48XX card !!!

Also: Even if the 4870 performes better than NV cards 9XXX - its useless on OS X without Apple drivers!

Same to (poor) ATI34XX notebook users - even if they get some nonQE/nonCI working - useless, an GMA950 performes better on OS X!

Ordered a 2600XT with HDMI out... My 4850 is out. It was catching dust running 1600x1200 in Leopard since I do have time to play.

I'd read the performance difference between a top of the line card and an average on Hackintoshes was very small. I guess I won't be able to find out for myself

that doesn't make much sense in an open GL desktop situation where the video card is active nearly all the time. I'd presonally rather build a cheap computer with onboard video for $250 than make my main computer useless in games in windows with either a 9600 or 2600xt. 1920x1200 is alot of pixels for a 4870/gt260 to pull off, let alone a entry level card. the whole point of hackintoshin for me is to have the best of both worlds, and not be held back by the obsolete slag that apple continues to push well after it's expiration date.