What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

so, would this work with the 4870x2 under snow leopard?

i think i will be searching the bay or the demon for this little puppy

is there no chance at all of the driver being replicated for leopards frameworks etc?

there might be a chance like with the 3870x2 but we might have crossfire support maybe im not 100% since its not final or anything so but i would say big chance that it will work thats to say if 48xx works

there might be a chance like with the 3870x2 but we might have crossfire support maybe im not 100% since its not final or anything so but i would say big chance that it will work thats to say if 48xx works

It sounds great. Hope the crossfire of 2x4870 supported.

Many thanks

That's it.

My 4850 arrived today and it's installed now. (My old 8500GT is sold)

Just confirmed my fear... I know Leopard doesn't have support for 4850/4870, but even the bootloader flag "graphics mode"="1440x900x32@60" didn't work.

So... Goodbye (while there's no support), Leopard.

How many more times do people have to say this;

VESA DRIVERS DO NOT SUPPORT ANYTHING BUT 4:3! NO 16:9 OR 16:10!

I feel sorry for those who still ask about it or think they have it working when they clearly do NOT.

This statement is simply wrong, I know because I have been doing it. I have been running my NVIDIA GTX260 for several months now at 1680x1050 60hz. I modified some file in the system directory to include this resolution.

This statement is simply wrong, I know because I have been doing it.

Others before you have made the same claim, but fail to show any proof that it works. If you do, by all means please tell us how you went about doing this so others can use native resolutions while on VESA drivers.

I've been messing with SwitchresX, can't seem to force the WSXGA+ resolution.

A simple way to run a VESA resolution without diy script modification though, a handy utility.

If anyone is thinking they're running anything other than 4:3, check your monitor status for the input resolution. If you demand a resolution that's not possible then OSX is probably just running 4:3 anyway and not displaying a fault.

Jon.

I've been messing with SwitchresX, can't seem to force the WSXGA+ resolution.

A simple way to run a VESA resolution without diy script modification though, a handy utility.

If anyone is thinking they're running anything other than 4:3, check your monitor status for the input resolution. If you demand a resolution that's not possible then OSX is probably just running 4:3 anyway and not displaying a fault.

Jon.

Yeah. That was the reason because I've deleted Leopard from my PC.

I was using it 100% stable, just like a real mac, with my old 8500GT. But now I've got an HD4850 and confirmed that I can't even boot with 1440x900 resolution. That sucks, no reason to use Leopard that way.

I agree and know this to be true because I have tried it myself. I think our friend Josh D is mistaken. :)

Finally I bought that: Powercolor ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro (21 euros).

and have now 2 graphics cards working fine.

Only trouble is I have to switch in bios like this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=140349

Big advantage of this card are:

- price (no tears when HD 4850 is supported)

- passive cooling (not getting hot)

- low consumption (no need to upgrade power supply)

- used in real mac pros (2000$ computers...25$ graphic card) so OS X is designed to work in good conditions with it (and I confirm it does)

I am now enjoying iMovie on 1600x1200 screen and a Quad core. It rocks.

I recommend the workaround to all people losing patience...