What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

Adding an other Bios to your card is easy. You can also mod your own BIOS to the same parameters like the desired. The only thing is that always have to identify your card e.g. there is always a special string for Asus, MSI etc.

If anybody has the Mac specific BIOS of a 4850 or 4870 it would be easy to apply changes. If a Mac version of the 48xx is released we can have a look at it. All software for modding BIOS can be found @ http://www.techpowerup.com/

I always thought that BIOS flashing is not an option?

I was under the impression that the Mac BIOSes/firmwares were designed to negotiate with EFI.....which Hackintoshes do not have. Therefore the card could not initialise itself, meaning you now have a card that will not work in OS X or Windows....

I always thought that BIOS flashing is not an option?

I was under the impression that the Mac BIOSes/firmwares were designed to negotiate with EFI.....which Hackintoshes do not have. Therefore the card could not initialise itself, meaning you now have a card that will not work in OS X or Windows....

From this point of view I would say you are right but I think especially about powermanagement under OS X compared to windows catalyst/ ati driver. I think it would make sense to copy settings from the mac version vga BIOS to the vga BIOS of your windows card to have correct power and fan settings in OS X.

If the MacBIOSes negotiate with the EFI this would be a big Problem.

regards BerlinDude

uhm... specific vga bios...

wouldnt it be possible to dump such a

bios and flash it + use those drivers?

just wondering

ok guys if you would read all of this topic you would know that the problem is we dont have the drivers. Only the IDs have been added but no actually drivers have been updated http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=131374&hl=

Please wait. the problem is with the framebuffer, opengl.framework incomplete. Apple is favoring nvidia at the moment (macbook love, AMD=ATI)... ATI holding back or Apple?

Well in different dev builds of OS updates they have updated the kexts, framework, all the stuff needed. So be patient, but if you need 3d acceleration use a supported card at the moment unless ATI pulls support which would {censored} of Mac Pro owners but not necessarily Apple...

Patience, I have an ATI 4850 I want to use also. You aren't being ignored.

I've been very patient so far, I've been tempted to buy a cheaper card for the time being but I use Windows more than OSX and do a lot of gaming so that would be a bit prohibitive.

Really looking forward to any news. I'd help with testing if needed.

I've been very patient so far, I've been tempted to buy a cheaper card for the time being but I use Windows more than OSX and do a lot of gaming so that would be a bit prohibitive.

Really looking forward to any news. I'd help with testing if needed.

imagine if you were a real mac user... you only get to upgrade when they allow it lol.

I've been reading parts of this thread and realized that there are no 4850 fixes at the moment. But is there a way I can force the resolution to 1650 x1080 because 1024x768 doesn't look right on a 22" monitor.

No, I believe default drivers only support 4:3 resolutions.

Well I did hear Apple said that there will not be any more product updates in 2008. I'm not sure what that means with regards to 4850 drivers, but it's probably not very good.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10081756-37.html

I really hope we don't have to wait until 2009 to get some drivers, but it's starting to look that way.

It looks like we wont get an update till then :blink: but hey maybe they will... just keep looking out for 10.5.6

Its 1024 x 768 now, how could I get it to 1280 x 1024? No in system preferences there is no option but 1024 x 768.

Enter the following to darwin boot-prompt: "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" . You can also add it to com.apple.boot.plist to use it automatically on boot.

Too bad that there is no drivers support for 48xx yet. Perhaps I should get a used 8600GT or 2600Pro for hackintosh use :)