What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

I agree and know this to be true because I have tried it myself. I think our friend Josh D is mistaken. :D

I'll post a screenshot when I get home.

Here are a couple screens proving my resolution, I don't get why this is such an argument. If I was going to lie about something it wouldn't be this, I have nothing to gain, I didn't figure out the method, I simply found an old forum post and modified some configuration file in my system a couple months ago to force this resolution. I don't do anything during booting, I just added a line or to of info to file. I can't remember the method but I'll try and dig it up.

Picture3.png

Picture1.png

Picture4-2.png

Here's how I did it:

1. Go to the file:

Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist

2. Make a backup of that file and place a copy on your desktop

3. Mine started life like this:

Picture5-1.png

4. Edited it to look like this:

Picture6.png

5. Place this edited version back in the original folder and reboot, it worked for me and has kept working ever since

BTW, it took me about 30 seconds on Google to find this method dating back to 2006 using terms like "forcing resolution os x 1680"

I don't know if this will work with ATI card or not and there seems to be some variance on whether to use the @ symbol or a "x" before you specify the color depth, apparently it depends on the VESA driver used or something.

I think that the NV and ATI cards use different VESA versions, which is why this method will not work with the 4870. It's nice to know that this does work with the 260, but for those of us with 48xx's, we're SOL.

I believe I see a message when booting stating I'm running VESA 3.0 with my GTX260.

I believe I see a message when booting stating I'm running VESA 3.0 with my GTX260.

Lol, what a useless post. Do you really think that everyone in this forum is stupid? Off course everyone TRIED to force to resolution like that but this is just not working on a 48XX because we don't have a good driver yet. If we do try to force it like this, OS X just takes another 4:3 resolution.

I see that you have an nvidia card and you probably installed a driver or something because what you described DOES NOT work for an 48XX.

I'm also tired about people who think they have found it while there are topics full of it stating this method does not work for us,48XX users.

Josh, you introduced yourself to us by calling one well-informed poster a liar, which was in fact not the case.

Having described your setup as not even including an ATI card, let a lone a 4xxx series, you have made yourself look quite ridiculous.

I'm sure everyone else here is either offended or laughing.

That or support came with 10.5.6? I dont really have proof but Kaido is a pretty reliable source http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...p;enterthread=y

Anyone know if 10.5.6 brought support?

Update: Maybe not...ad skipped...

Oh yeah, and you can run 3 of them on the new X58 board. You know, if you need 6 monitors 

man, what he is talking about

1) osx doesnt support i7 with vanila kernel, even voodoo kernel works....not very good with i7

2) osx leopard cant work with more than 1 ati gfx at time, on pc, did u read efux forum? they still cant support even dual 2600xt

3) there is definetly no 4800 drivers in 10.5.6, even more, accelerator (x2000.kext) support for rv770 in 10.5.5 9f2000(unibody mbp build) was remove in 10.5.6

I don't know. 10.5.6 might bring 4870 support, ...

can I get his crystal ball?

P.S. radeons desont support 1680x1050 (for vesa mode), only 1400x1050 in vesa mode

1) osx doesnt support i7 with vanila kernel, even voodoo kernel works....not very good with i7

2) osx leopard cant work with more than 1 ati gfx at time, on pc, did u read efux forum? they still cant support even dual 2600xt

3) there is definetly no 4800 drivers in 10.5.6, even more, accelerator (x2000.kext) support for rv770 in 10.5.5 9f2000(unibody mbp build) was remove in 10.5.6

so much proofless guesses

can I get his crystal ball?

P.S. radeons desont support 1680x1050 (for vesa mode), only 1400x1050 in vesa mode

I doubt it was a complete guess. But it doesnt matter, either those people write a driver or they dont. Either way im still not buying there product. But its weird apple took out the kext from the macbook update. Hopefully when snow is released it will give us something.

BTW thanks for the update on 10.5.6.

I'm sorry for starting an argument... :) I just posted some information that I thought could help people.

I never claimed it would work on a ATI 4xxx, I was simply responding to an untrue statement that was made very boldy. I'm eagerly awaiting support myself for my 4670 in my second PC (haven't tried anything with that card yet).

Regardless of whether my post helps get a 4850 working in OS X, I believe it is still useful information, perhaps I should've posted in a seperate thread.

Cheers,

Josh

(PS, the NVIDIA GTX2XX series has no drivers similar to the ATI 4XXX series, I have installed no drivers are modifications besides what I posted previously in this thread. I also have 4670 card that I am awaiting proper drivers for.)

argh i rushed into 10.5..6 update and had it freeze on me on the writing files stage, it booted ok after manual restart with 10.5.6 installed but no system information and very high cpu temps. guess i needed to do the DSDT thing, but i thought because my mobo had the modded bios with DSDT settings it would be ok, guess not!

now looking for Asus P5Q or similiar audio kext, cant find it anymore, dam!

Reading Nvidia's latest announcements and statements about Apple, I think we can forget ATI-equipped new models. They say OpenCL borrows a lot from Nvidia's CUDA and will require new drivers for Snow Leopard (which is being pushed for rapid release while MS still works on Seven). They also boast about how closely and for how long they worked with Apple on the MacBook.

When was the last new product Apple released with an ATI GPU? Probably the iMac, when the aluminum casing was introduced. Since then, they have upgraded it with a 8800 GS. There was the 3870 that became available for the Mac Pro (wait, only the 2600 is offered on the official website!), but the bulk of the options are still Nvidia. Most of Apple's line, excluding the Pro, is already taken care of with the 9400M (with another Nvidia chip attached to it if more performance is needed) that fits so well in all MacBooks and would be the easiest solution for updated iMacs or even the Mini (RIP?).

I know there are some lines of code mentioning ATI's 4000 series out there, but I believe we will be lucky if we get what we're waiting for anytime soon.