What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

2 lastExile: I suppose new macbooks have a new kernel and system.kext along with updated kexts and OpenGL framework. Have you managed to get frameboofer with res switch working? I´ll try to get everything that evening at a local Apple Store. Hope they allready have new MacBooks in stock.

Fingers crossed!

2 mogster:

HD 4850 works in vesa mode. You can set desired resolution via apple.boot.plist. Only 4:3 resolutions are supported.

I have my 4870 in 1280x1024.

I am getting a screen with stripes with new kexts and old natit, as it seems to be using Triakis.

Update kernel and system.kexts. System seems to boot longer and I am getting continuous Oct 18 22:01:51 MacPro kernel[0]: disk0s2: ioctl(_IOW,'d',31,32) is unsupported messages. disk0s2 is a main system disk.

Hey guys,

How bad is the 4850 support?

I just got my Hackintosh up and running with a 9800 GTX+ and I bought the 9800 because it seemed like the fastest GPU that is fully supported but I'm still within my return period. It's an awesome card but I also bought a P45 motherboard with Crossfire and I'd thinking that I'd rather have two 4850's at some point down the line.

Would the 4850 work good enough for iMovie until the geniuses on this forum figure out how to get the 4850 support up to where the 9800GTX+ is now?

Thanks,

--Rick

Hey guys,

How bad is the 4850 support?

I just got my Hackintosh up and running with a 9800 GTX+ and I bought the 9800 because it seemed like the fastest GPU that is fully supported but I'm still within my return period. It's an awesome card but I also bought a P45 motherboard with Crossfire and I'd thinking that I'd rather have two 4850's at some point down the line.

Would the 4850 work good enough for iMovie until the geniuses on this forum figure out how to get the 4850 support up to where the 9800GTX+ is now?

Thanks,

--Rick

I had a 9800GTX+ before this 4870. I only upgraded because a friend here in Brazil bought it from me for the price of a 4870 abroad, and I had someone coming 3 days later, so I jumped on the chance. I expect the 48xx to be supported pretty soon, and as a person who enjoys some games (BTW, I just installed Oblivion with Qarl's hi-res textures enabling HDR/AA and AF and can say it is the best looking game I've ever seen, bar none - it never looked close even with max settings back in 2006), the power and superb AA support of these cards is very attractive.