What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

If you processor is fast enough, her's is a Q6600, I really don't notice much difference from QE and CI being on in regular desktop usage. 1920x1200 looks great.

Aehmmm...sorry but i don't think it's running at 1920x1200....I only manage 1600x1200 because it's a vesa resolution, as far as I know no 16:10 res. is working with just Vesa modes. My 24" screen stretches those 1600x1200 up to 1920x1200 which looks quite distorted...so I will wait for real drivers.

"IF" you manageed to get 1920x1200 pls tell me how, thx.

It does work quite nicely. The only problem, however, it seems that my card's fan is running at full speed all the time.

so wait a sec you have 1920x1200 working? I need to try this but i forked up my install so i will need to reinstall :(

don't bother. i think the op mistakenly thought 1600x1200 was 1900x1200. that's why he hasn't responded. tried 1900 and it displays at 1600. oh well, maybe i'll go to plan B and buy a cheapie supported graphics card until the 48xx drivers emerge.

so wait a sec you have 1920x1200 working? I need to try this but i forked up my install so i will need to reinstall :(

I am running my nvidia GTX260 in VESA mode at 1680x1050 at my LCD's native resolution no problem.

I had to go into a file and manually specify it though. There are different ways of forcing it depending on which VESA type is supported (2 or 3).

It sucks that I can't run Aperture with my GTX260, it forces me to do my photo stuff on my MacBook with it's intel graphics.

I really don' know what is going on, but I really want to test with my system, but I still couldn't get any answers, I really don't knoe how to set up the strings for the 4850, and nobody came with any injectos yet, well, we must wait a little longer.

Aehmmm...sorry but i don't think it's running at 1920x1200....I only manage 1600x1200 because it's a vesa resolution, as far as I know no 16:10 res. is working with just Vesa modes. My 24" screen stretches those 1600x1200 up to 1920x1200 which looks quite distorted...so I will wait for real drivers.

"IF" you manageed to get 1920x1200 pls tell me how, thx.

Sorry to burst your bubble but 1900x1200 is definitely the resolution it is running. I don't know about you but it is plainly obvious when a desktop is being stretched from 1600x1200 (4:3) to 1920x1200 (16:10). The stretching is unbearable to me. there is definitely a level of sharpness and clarity when running 1920x1200 if it is your native resolution. It looks identicle to the desktop when I was running the 6800GT in her computer. Even though it (6800gt) did not have QE or CI enabled, it definitely was able to handle 1920x1200 because it had kexts for it. And one last thing. My girlfriend uses the Adobe Professional and Illustrator at work on a mac and comes home to do work on her hackintosh.. so if ANYONE was able to tell if things were being stretched it would be her.... and I would receive a royal bitching if it wasn't working.

The way I did it was follow what I said in my last post. I dunno what to tell ya. When I am at her place next and it is booted up I can look at the boot options to see exactly how I worded it, but aside from that, it really wasn;t that hard. I had some problem at first with capital letters, etc..etc.. but after a few failed boots and back into safe mode to change things, I was able to get it working with no probl

Sorry to burst your bubble but 1900x1200 is definitely the resolution it is running. I don't know about you but it is plainly obvious when a desktop is being stretched from 1600x1200 (4:3) to 1920x1200 (16:10). The stretching is unbearable to me. there is definitely a level of sharpness and clarity when running 1920x1200 if it is your native resolution. It looks identicle to the desktop when I was running the 6800GT in her computer. Even though it (6800gt) did not have QE or CI enabled, it definitely was able to handle 1920x1200 because it had kexts for it. And one last thing. My girlfriend uses the Adobe Professional and Illustrator at work on a mac and comes home to do work on her hackintosh.. so if ANYONE was able to tell if things were being stretched it would be her.... and I would receive a royal bitching if it wasn't working.

The way I did it was follow what I said in my last post. I dunno what to tell ya. When I am at her place next and it is booted up I can look at the boot options to see exactly how I worded it, but aside from that, it really wasn;t that hard. I had some problem at first with capital letters, etc..etc.. but after a few failed boots and back into safe mode to change things, I was able to get it working with no probl

Yeah i booted with 1600x1200 but didnt try 1920 x 1200 my native on my 24".

Anyways heres to hoping when the beta of 10.5.6 comes out it will contain the driver for our cards!

Hey Guys I guess prozach1576 is quite right. My suggestion also was that the new drivers will be available if Apple updates there produc line of MacBooks and iMacs sometimes in october/november. I don't think that Apple is that stupid to wait about 1/2 a year till they provide these types of cards and drivers for them (technical evolution never stops). I planned to buy a 4870 very soon, but when I read that there is no support yet, I realised that I might stick with my oldy-but-goldy 7900GT (with can't handle Sacred 2 in medium details@1280x1024, what a shame...). I hope that I can switch to the Radeon very soon. I'll cross my fingers for a graphics-update in october/november.

Cheers

Ueberschall

Hey Guys I guess prozach1576 is quite right. My suggestion also was that the new drivers will be available if Apple updates there produc line of MacBooks and iMacs sometimes in october/november. I don't think that Apple is that stupid to wait about 1/2 a year till they provide these types of cards and drivers for them (technical evolution never stops). I planned to buy a 4870 very soon, but when I read that there is no support yet, I realised that I might stick with my oldy-but-goldy 7900GT (with can't handle Sacred 2 in medium details@1280x1024, what a shame...). I hope that I can switch to the Radeon very soon. I'll cross my fingers for a graphics-update in october/november.

Cheers

Ueberschall

is that game even out?