Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

I m sorry guys, not just the site, but host went down as well. sorry guys, will get another place tonight and start the links again... but in the mean time, i ll PM the direct links to update files...

can u pm me im tryin to get the files plz :(

Hi Mysticus C*,

Thanks for your tons of message in this forum. I have pm you to ask you the link to perform an update from Iatkos v1.0 to the most up to date version. You sent me the link, very usefull, and suggested me to try KALYWAY or JAS RELEASES.

With my pc (see the signature) which one do you think is the best one?

Currently w/t iatkos v1.0 i found the below mentioned issues after a succesfull installation:

- The pc dosen't have any sound;

- The pc freeze every time I shut it down or use the sleep function;

Many thanks in adwance.

Sirio

P.s. if the signature needs further details please let me know

Ok I finally can boot to 10.5.5 with a dock using the 9.2.0 sleep kernel. Thanks Mysticus your patcher is a cinch.

I cannot get my network working again and have tried manually restoring and iinstalling the IONetworking kext or whatever it's called.... still no good there. I extracted the Appleyukon kext from Kaly 10.5.2 DVD and still no worky!!! Any ideas?

Sound restored no problem though.

I also installed with the post update patch the other 2 kernels and now I have to type in 'sleepkernel' at the prompt to get to the desktop. Is there a way to delete the "stage" and "vanilla" kernels so I don't have to type at the prompt every bootup?

Still can't work out why some of you guys can boot with a Vanilla kernel and some of us can't.....

some of us can boot with vanilla (bcoz of compatible chipset, similar to apple's own mobo's use) does not mean it is functioning as it should ;) vanilla alone is not usefull... shutdown/restart issues with vanilla... i personally use 9.4.0 which is working quite nicely...

for your network, was it working before the update? (becuse it will work if it was working before)

fo kernel issue, all you needed to was 9.4.0 selection, since you choosed two kernels (which is obviously a noobish act) last one is overwritten on top of the previous one (in your case 9.4.0 would work but you also choosed the vanilla as well, that caused 9.4.0 being deleted and 9.5.0 overwritten on top)...

the solution would be easy, i highly suggest you to use 9.4.0 (find the post update patch.pkg, right click on it, choose show contents, it will open up finder shwoing contents, go to resources, and find the 9.4.0 kernel, and double click to install that one alone, after that restart without typing, sleep kernel) see if it works? if it doesnt work, use same procedure to install 9.2.0 kernel (your sleep kernel)... alternatively you can use terminal to replace old one

open terminal

sudo su

pass

cd /

mv mach_kernel mach_kernel.old

mv sleepkernel mach_kernel

it should replace your kernel.... and restart to see the effects...

i personally use 9.4.0 which is working quite nicely...

vanilla kernel? would the 9.4.0 vanilla kernel fix my restart problem? if yes, do i have to revert to the old AppleACPIPlatform.kext or leave the new one from the update? is the 9.4.0 vanilla kernel in the post patch? i`m now away from my hackintosh (work), so i couldn`t look myself.

9.4.0 in the package is StageXNU not full vanilla ;) but restart/shutdown/sleep works (if you use everytg in AHCI mode)

I will try to wrappup another post patch to allow using of 9.5.0 vanilla kernel an original acpi files... and some minor changes as well... today or tomorrow i dont know, but soon, to make it more compatible with other stuffs...

some of us can boot with vanilla (bcoz of compatible chipset, similar to apple's own mobo's use) does not mean it is functioning as it should ;) vanilla alone is not usefull... shutdown/restart issues with vanilla... i personally use 9.4.0 which is working quite nicely...

for your network, was it working before the update? (becuse it will work if it was working before)

fo kernel issue, all you needed to was 9.4.0 selection, since you choosed two kernels (which is obviously a noobish act) last one is overwritten on top of the previous one (in your case 9.4.0 would work but you also choosed the vanilla as well, that caused 9.4.0 being deleted and 9.5.0 overwritten on top)...

the solution would be easy, i highly suggest you to use 9.4.0 (find the post update patch.pkg, right click on it, choose show contents, it will open up finder shwoing contents, go to resources, and find the 9.4.0 kernel, and double click to install that one alone, after that restart without typing, sleep kernel) see if it works? if it doesnt work, use same procedure to install 9.2.0 kernel (your sleep kernel)... alternatively you can use terminal to replace old one

open terminal

sudo su

pass

cd /

mv mach_kernel mach_kernel.old

mv sleepkernel mach_kernel

it should replace your kernel.... and restart to see the effects...

thanks

Yes network was working before.

I installed those kernels because I had previously read that you can do this and using the prompt at boot up see which kernel works the best.

your understanding of kernel is wrong: because kernels are originally named mach_kernel and unless you stated an other name in some system files, it will always look for that name

which means, when i say 9.4.0 stagexnu, or vanilla, the names are all same mach_kernel...

the reason why you can choose different kernels as you read before, is due to people place different kernels under different names, but you have to type those names every time if u wanna try them later... it is good for disaster recovery (to certain degree) but unfortunately i cant name each kernel differently when installing, because it wont work, and average joe does not know how to read a "PM me to get the links" message, how are they gonna read and do additional steps?

the network on the hand shold have worked, unless you had some funny settings before (because yukon drivers are inside networkfamily driver, and if somehow if your driver was not inside it, and placed directly in extensions folder (which is in some cases done) it will cause conflict, because you are using an original driver with edited device ids, and if there are two of teh same driver (one original one that is being replaced and one older one) will create conflict...

the only reason i can think of why it may not work is you have done something wrong previously or prior to updating...

That makes more sense now in regards to the kernel. I've got the 9.4.0 stagexnu to work also, installed with osx86tools. Now just have to fix the network because everything else seems OK.

I have 10.5.3 on another HDD installed with enhanced IDE mode (all works fine) and this one (10.5.5) is with AHCI mode and also ACPI 2 enabled. I might try 10.5.5 again in enhanced IDE mode but this time with ACPI 2 enabled..... Do you think this makes a difference with ACPI 2 enabled?

Hello guys,

I both tried updating from Kalyway 10.5.1 and iATKOS v4 all went very well... (i didnot expect that :)) but just one think its a common problem rather than kalyway 10.5.1 all other installations require to copy IOPlatformFamilyPlugin.kext from kalyway 10.5.1 DVD because it is causing ACPI kernel panic on ASUS G1 series Lapies if you have chance please add this kext as an option on post package it is only an opinon otherwise im copying this kext to extensions before restarting and than repair permisions with no problem :) i can send this kext to you...

I said it went good but one think and i saw it that is a common problem i lost QE/CI support :D for my nvidia go 7700 512 mb) i tried nvinject i relized the resolution but no qe/ci i tried nvkursh than where i have to see my gui i only saw a mouse on black screen with nvkrush ;)

my system is:

T7200 CPU

2 GIG RAM

GO 7700 512mb

REALTEK ALC6600 etc...

and i select vanilla 9.5 kernel with acpi fix, sata, smbios...

Last word: Great job  Mysticus C* :) Thank you very much...

I installed the pre update, then the combo update, as soon as it was done, I wanted to install the post package, but I got a kernel panic, and now I can't get into Mac OSX since I didn't apply the post package, hence I have the Vanilla kernel...Which doens't work for me...As soon as I want to boot into Mac OSX, my PC reboots :D

What should I do...

P.S. I got a kernel panic a while ago aswell when I tried to update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 ...maybe the updates don't like my mobo?

My mobo is an Asus P5N-D 750i nForce,

CPU is a Q6600 (Core 2 Quad @2.4Ghz)

GPU is an 8800GT

3GB RAM

HDD is SATA 160GB

CD/DVD is IDE

Thanks..

Hello guys,

but just one think its a common problem rather than kalyway 10.5.1 all other installations require to copy IOPlatformFamilyPlugin.kext from kalyway 10.5.1 DVD because it is causing ACPI kernel panic on ASUS G1 series Lapies if you have chance please add this kext as an option on post package it is only an opinon otherwise i can send this kext to you...

please send me the kext and i will be add an option for it... glad taht some of the people know what they are using, and able to supply the files. Some of you just asking like i want x800 driver or 88e5053 network driver bla bla bla... I dont like the kind of messages, i m not gonna do the research for you guys, just learn what drivers you are using and send me the files, i will happily add those drivers to my update package... in 1-2 days i will be making another revision, 1.1.3 and will try to include:

+ working ps2 solution

+ 9.5.0 vanilla kernel fixes for shutdown and restart (this doesnt mean everyone is able to use vanilla, please learn when you can use vanilla kernel)

+ any additional driver requests? (like ioplatformfamilyplugin... please include correct address for it, /s/l/e/blabla.kext? or /s/l/e/blabla.kext/contents/plugins... so that i dont have to do more research)

@ASNNetworks: can you try using this at boot, after you see countdown, press f8 or any key

at command promt:

sleepkernel -v

and get the screen cap if it spits out any kernel panic message

What does the "ICHx AHCI JmicronAHCI PIIX fixed Ids and icons" patch do (in your post update patcher)?

if you have a compatible chipset (ICH7-8-9 10? usually)(including jmicron) with ahci, you dont need to use patched drivers anymore, they will work, however, they will be identified as unknown ahci controller and all your hdd icons will show like an external hdd... also some PIIX chipsets can be used with patched ids... this fixes hdd icon and driver identification, as well as some older chipset compabilitiy...

Less joy on the laptop front, Acer 4720z (very similar spec to that below but with dual core instead of core2duo, and memory at 533 rather than 667).

Post all installers I used OSX86Tools to install 9.2.0 speedstep kernel and system.kext

Results:-

My Leo4allv3 partition no longer has a dock.

The keyboard and track pad no longer worked but I found a package called AppleACPIPS2Nub_b5 and took from it the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and used kext helper b7 to put it in my extensions folder. Mouse and keypad worked after that.

Here is a link. It works well with iATKOS but takes a couple of boots to get past ACPIPS2Nub message in Leo4all

"kmod_control/start failed for com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub; destroying kmod

Failed to load extensions com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub"

Note to Acer users with a similar spec to mine - PCWiz's package, downloadable from that thread, didn't work for me.

Both Leo4all and my iATKOS partition take a longer to boot up, stalling for about six seconds on a light blue screen. I imagine with subsequent boots that will speed up, though (yep, seems to be the case, though now five seconds).

I went back and redid the post instal based on your instructions but still no dock on the Leo4all partition.

Link not working for pre/post installer. Would a newer one help, I'm using the very first version?

in 1-2 days i will be making another revision, 1.1.3 and will try to include:

+ working ps2 solution

+ 9.5.0 vanilla kernel fixes for shutdown and restart (this doesnt mean everyone is able to use vanilla, please learn when you can use vanilla kernel)

+ any additional driver requests? (like ioplatformfamilyplugin... please include correct address for it, /s/l/e/blabla.kext? or /s/l/e/blabla.kext/contents/plugins... so that i dont have to do more research)

yeah! that`s a good news! what would the osx86 scene do without people like you?! ;)

@ 9.5.0 vanilla kernel: for my mainboard with intel p35 chipset shutdown is working, only restart won`t work. maybe shutdown is working couse of the "shutdown fix" i applied long time ago.

i've gotten the pre/post zip file from bike town & it's 25MB. however after unzipping, the files reads 0kb & i got an installer error "pagecontroller error - 1"

not sure what went wrong. anyone any tips? the 600MB combo file from apple works fine though but i wouldn't install it yet 'coz i'm sure it'll brick my system.

Tried unzipping the file in leopard & all's well. :( Strangely, the winRAR couldn't unzip the file right in XP.

Anyway everything seems to be working for me on the fujitsu laptop, 2 GB ram & C2D T5600 1.8GHz.

only gritty is i can't find the settings to make the menu bar translucent again. HAHAHA~~ Will post back if i encounter any problems within this few days

Cheers & thanks for the great forum support!! :)

paratox: i dont know what is the deal with 9800 card but it looks like your qe/ci is supported through some patches? , so what i can suggest you is go to root and find the backupkexts_prior_10_5_5combo (of cource if you didnt run the packages twice, which would back up current ones which would have no effect) and copy back your previous files using terminal

sudo su

pass

cd to back up folder

and

cp -R GeF* /System/Library/Extensions/

cp -R NVD* /System/Library/Extensions/

that should be it for gfx

no success. :(

after 10.5.5 update QE/CI won`t work. i`ve updated with mysticus pre and post patch. using 9.5.0 vanilla kernel.i`ve tried severel things, to get QE/CI back. i reverted all GeForce* and NVDA* kexts from my backup, i`ve tried the kexts from aquamac, i deleted all IntelGMA* and ATI* kexts and i installed the new OpenGL.framework 10.5.5_9f23 from nvinstaller. nothing helped. what did i wrong? how did you update to 10.5.5? maybe the 9.5.0 vanilla kernel is the reason? for hardware informations look @ signature. would be nice, if anybody could help me. :)

found some clues to my little gritty.

DVD player won't initialise. Check the hardware status & it says CI software & QE not supported. Hmmm.... before the patch, everything was fine & supported.

How do i reinstate CI/QE to previous ver.? There isn't any translucent look anymore, which i believe is the reason DVD player won't start. Can i re-do step no.3 & try other display drivers?

Any tips greatly appreciated. :)

(ps. during update step no.3 i chose intel display drivers, all of it)