Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

I just fast read this post.. but about the "Patch"... It is not a must. I have a P5W / Kaly 10.5.2 install. I put the AppleCombo10.5.5 yesterday. delete AppleIntelCPUPower........kext during install replace favorites kext (take care my old graphics kext from native install do not work now! they was working for 10.5.3/.4 install but for the 10.5.5, I had to DL newest.... HERE. Thanks Bronya)

what ever you are doing manualy is done through these patches (no terminal and no worry about intelcpupowermanagement...) not everyone is tech savvy... this is done to save the day... So make sure you understand what you are saying.... everything you do is possible and is know fact for most experienced users... The patches i make is usually pretty much what is done through terminal without going through them... And manual way is not always the best way... as soon as you install files, some drivers are loaded automaticly and can brick systems quickly in a way... not everyone has fully supported hardware...

djrbx: your screen showing the sign of first restart window, which takes some time on certain systems (1-2 mins to 3-4 mins depending on your specs), and after that dsmos screen system should restart by itself... after that restart system should go to desktop next time... you had to be patient...

cloverbay: post your system specs in your signature, you are doing it all wrong...

shinji: same as above

anyone is who is not sure about what to choose, please ask for help first before you make your own mind... especially if you are applying it on your main system (not a clone one)...

also anyone having shutdown/restart issue is most likely using 9.5.0 vanilla kernel which usually have the shutdown/restart issue if a patch is not applied... (I am working on the patch)

also people who are having dock removal can you please provide information with booting -v and screen caps... would be more helpful...

Tried the update again and the same thing happened as before.... Everything works like it should except network was NOT restored (was working pre-update with 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 with 9.2.0 sleepkernel) and now I cannot find a way to get it back.

I chose the following:

9.4.0 StageXNU kernel (could this cause network problem?)

restore audio

restore network

Nvidia drivers

ICHx AHCI JmicronAHCI PIIX fixed Ids and icons

SMBIOS (or something like this)(could this cause network problem?)

USB 2.0 Controller Fix

Any help appreciated.

Tried the update again and the same thing happened as before.... Everything works like it should except network was NOT restored (was working pre-update with 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 with 9.2.0 sleepkernel) and now I cannot find a way to get it back.

I chose the following:

9.4.0 StageXNU kernel (could this cause network problem?)

restore audio

restore network

Nvidia drivers

ICHx AHCI JmicronAHCI PIIX fixed Ids and icons

SMBIOS (or something like this)(could this cause network problem?)

USB 2.0 Controller Fix

Any help appreciated.

can you tell me about your network card/driver that you are/were using with details (driver name/device id?)

i doubt that smbios or kernel would cause your network problem... the only thing i can think of is it was a seperate driver? or an original driver that is been modded... there is one case that if it was original one and modded, but kept out of plugins folder of ionetworkingfamily.kext than it would not be restored, and when system is updated, the original one would be be placed back to where it should, and the current out of the plugin driver would create conflict...

what i mean? in short

your driver is originally supposed to be

/S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/abc.kext

but it has been modded, and placed directly to

/S/L/E/abc.kext

when system is updated, an abc.kext would be placed to original plugins directory and your current out of the folder driver would cause conflict when it is being loaded...

I am just speculating a scenerio bcoz i dont know the details of your network...

today after work i will try to revert to 10.5.3 with time machine and do the combo update again. maybe this will QE/CI bring back. i will report the result.

if this won`t work, wich installation should i do for my hardware?

kalyway 10.5.2 + all the mysticus updates or

JAS 10.5.4 or

iDeneb 10.5.4 v1.1

in the past i only used kalyway 10.5.2, so i don`t know how well the other releases will work with my hardware.

my hardware:

mainboard: ga-ep35-ds4 bios F5

cpu: q6600@3GHz vcore@1,3125

ram: corsair 2x2GB 1066 dual channel

video: point of view 9800gtx+

hdd: sata

dvd: sata

can you tell me about your network card/driver that you are/were using with details (driver name/device id?)

i doubt that smbios or kernel would cause your network problem... the only thing i can think of is it was a seperate driver? or an original driver that is been modded... there is one case that if it was original one and modded, but kept out of plugins folder of ionetworkingfamily.kext than it would not be restored, and when system is updated, the original one would be be placed back to where it should, and the current out of the plugin driver would create conflict...

what i mean? in short

your driver is originally supposed to be

/S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/abc.kext

but it has been modded, and placed directly to

/S/L/E/abc.kext

when system is updated, an abc.kext would be placed to original plugins directory and your current out of the folder driver would cause conflict when it is being loaded...

I am just speculating a scenerio bcoz i dont know the details of your network...

It's the onboard LAN from the ASUS Maximus Formula which I'm pretty sure is Marvell Yukon. It worked before with drivers installed from the Kaly 10.5.2 DVD (I tried extracting the appleyukon kext from the Kaly DVD and installed it and it still didn't work, it's like the LAN ports are invisible to Leopard under 10.5.5). I'm back on 10.5.2 at the moment, I know this is noobish but how do I get to that information you require about driver name/device id?

today after work i will try to revert to 10.5.3 with time machine and do the combo update again. maybe this will QE/CI bring back. i will report the result.

if this won`t work, wich installation should i do for my hardware?

kalyway 10.5.2 + all the mysticus updates or

jas 10.5.4 or

ideneb iDeneb 10.5.4 v1.1

in the past i only used kalyway 10.5.2, so i don`t know how well the other releases will work with my hardware.

my hardware:

mainboard: ga-ep35-ds4 bios F5

cpu: q6600@3GHz vcore@1,3125

ram: corsair 2x2GB 1066 dual channel

video: point of view 9800gtx+

hdd: sata

dvd: sata

kalyway 10.5.2 is good (i made my test both from 10.5.1 kalyway 10.5.2 kalyway and jas 10.5.4 and all worked without any problems...)

I suggest using Kalyway rather than jas, because jas's release has some trouble with gfx drivers, i dont know exactly what is causing the trouble, but upon first restart they dont work well, or work in a funny way somehow...

use kalyway 10.5.2

use only ICH ports (no jmicron-disable it if possible)

set sata ports to ahci!

all should be good! apart from your gfx (as you -may- know 8 + series started to work after 10.5.2 gfx update)

if you want to be sure, apply gfx update first and see if it will work correctly... if you provide me your efi strings added, boo.plist file, i can add it to next revision.

once you are ready to update to 10.5.5 make sure you back your boot.plist file in case it is being overwritten... and any additional patches that u use which is not inside my update patches

pre patch (no restart)

official update (no restart)

post patch with follow settings

kernel: 9.4.0

chipset: ichx

audi0: restore

network: restore

video: select only gfx fix for nvidia or use your own patched drivers

system func: smbios: macpro?

that should be it...

bloor: open terminal and type

kextstat

it should show up some drivers names... copy/paste that screen to txt file and provide a link... for device id, there is a tool-command line, called lspci i think, and another gui tool which i forgot the name now, but i can tell u later... alternatively you can use windows, device manager/network card/properties/details/ hardware details ... it should show device and vendor ids, provide those info...

64 2 0x2df86000 0x16000 0x15000 com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily (1.6.0) <7 6 5 4 2>

65 0 0x2df9c000 0x3f000 0x3e000 com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2 (3.1.7b2) <64 17 12 4 2>

I'll boot into XP and get the other info...

Marvel Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4364&SUBSYS_81F81043&REV_12\4&279E7BDF&0&00E2

Oh dear, please show me the light :(

Signature updated. THANKS A MILLION!! :(

what is your gfx card? and also can you provide device vendor id information for your hardwares, if you have windows, follow the above guide as i said to bloor, to get the hardware info... for your sound,network,ide/sata controller/gfx card pls... will be more helpfull

bloor: can you tell me if your appleyukon2.kext is in the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder? or /S/L/E/IONetworkingfamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ folder?

(to see inside IONetworkingFamily.kext right click on the file and press show contents)

Mysticus was wondering if you could help please.

I am running the scripts in order, the first one installs no problem ( no reboot) update package installs no problems ( no reboot) when i go to install the last one i allways lock up, have to restart and get kernal panic lol

I have tried this three times and it allways locks up during the last stage, at different points of the install but it still locks lol.

Hope you can help. My system specs are in my sig

Regards

Mysticus C*

Help me out.

I jus tried to update the kernel file using the Post Patch to just check if it works.

Tried,

9.0.2 ToH Sleep Kernel

9.0.4 Stage XNU kernel

The result : PC Restarts sucessfully but after the white screen the lading ends. the blue screen comes upp n stay there forever. I can play with m mouse al the time , buy notihng loads up further ,, please help ...

ATLEASSST HELP ME OUT BUDDY ... ITS MY 7TH POST UNREPLIED

neogen: please provide information regarding how and what you do?

pre patch (no restart) > official update (no restart) > post patch (with customized options) (restart at the end)

did you follow it exactly like this? and what did you choose in customize window?

badkid: boot using -v and try to get screen cap of everything until the blue screen, also is (-v -x) boot working? have you tried it

bloor: i will take a look at your situation, and i need you to answer my question, in post#1087

Myscticus C* ..

i tried everything buddy .

-v

-v -x

-x -v

-x -v -f ..

everything.

the problem arises after the kernel update ....

once i updated kernel after update .. second time without update ( both 9.0.2 Sleep Kernel n 9.0.4 Stage XNU )

During verbose mode everything boots as normal .. no error msg nothing ...

right after .. n jusst before the desktop to appear . the blue screen preloading screen comes.... i can ue mouse only .. nothing apperas then ... tried everything.

Hi all.

I´m posting this message just to say that I made a fresh installation of OSX to my system, just using the files provided by Mysticus and everything is pretty fine. I download Mysticus files since I got here for the first time and I can garantee you all that he knows what he´s saying.

So, in my opinion, if you want to get OSX installed to your rig, download all the files he provides in Bike Town that you will be free of bad installations when it comes to software because when it comes to hardware, there´s no much he can do. ;)

@Mysticus

Hi buddy. I reinstalled OSX from the beginning and now everything´s working nicely. I could even install 9.4.0 StageXNU kernel as you said and since I was using this kernel, I could feel that it´s stabler then 9.2.0 ToH kernel. ;)

Thnx once again. You rock. :(

[]´s

I got everything working perfectly and put up a new topic with instructions on how to install 10.5.4 and update to 10.5.5 with the Mysticus C* Update... The instructions are for a P5N32-SLI Premium board but who knows... maybe it'll work for some of you... You can find it here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127587

Mysticus C*, thanks! This is the most straightforward, complete update method I have tried.

As with every new system, or update I install, I tested this on a second hard drive first, kept for that purpose only.

This method, as described in the first post, worked the first time on both hard drives using the following customization of the Post Combo Update Patches pkg: Kernel-9.4.0, Chipset-not checked and not needed it seems with Jas 10.5.2 and my setup, Graphics-NVinject 256, Audio-Restore, Network-Restore, SMBIOS-667, USB 2.0 Controller Fix.

With this ease of updating any one of the common distributions, the necessity of getting one of those EFiX devices can be put off to the indefinite future, if at all.

This also allows more time to play with the Boot 132 thing, which for me is a work in progress, but again, Mysticus C*'s method is so painless, there is no rush to do so.

breakingbad: i know u did mess up the system like so other people, i suggested many to start fresh because many people didnt follow the guide properly... so once you mess up things, it is harder to track down errors... bcoz i cant know where you messed up... but finally you are up n running so well done... just try to read post#1 carefully, for the brick free system, if you understand that one, you will never brick your system... learn to use a separate system to test before make anything main stream...

whitemonster: well done and good good luck...

macandstuff: same goes for you too, well done, and good luck with your system...

all others: i m gonna try to make ps/2 patches and some other additional drivers will be included in the next patch revision... everything that is working will be intact, but i will try to add more drivers and patch options for better compatibility... anyone want to see different patches/drivers please let me know in advance so i can add them this time (during this week)

Also please understand that no rush... I get tired after work and not much time left until midnight ;)

breakingbad: i know u did mess up the system like so other people, i suggested many to start fresh because many people didnt follow the guide properly... so once you mess up things, it is harder to track down errors... bcoz i cant know where you messed up... but finally you are up n running so well done... just try to read post#1 carefully, for the brick free system, if you understand that one, you will never brick your system... learn to use a separate system to test before make anything main stream...

Well buddy, I really messed up my system and unfortunatelly was my main partition because I made the update in the TEST partition and worked fine so I decided to do in the main one and got system bricked at is not a big deal, since I have my "unmissable" files in a diferent partition from the system. ;)

I work with 4 partitions:

1 - Leopard (main)

2 - TEST (test partition - where I install every update first)

3 - Backup (where I put a copy of my main partition)

4 - Storage (where I keep my "unmissable" files)

----

[]´s

[snip]

cloverbay: post your system specs in your signature, you are doing it all wrong...

shinji: same as above

[snip]

Ok. I've updated my signature. Obviously my wireless doesn't work. I havn't figured out that one and will likely just get a usb wireless adapter later on. I do have a compatible broadcom adapter but don't feel like reinstalling it right now... Maybe later on. Anyways I just would like it to report my battery correctly and what the power level is.

Unlike Kalway 10.5.1 I tended to have keyboard and usb problems with Kalyway 10.5.2., no matter the options I selected. The same was true this time around but I was able to transfer your files from my other partition and, also while on that partition, install to the Kalyway partition the nub kext that I refer to in my previous post; that got the keyboard working. I can attest to the fact that Kalyway 10.5.2 is a good match up with Mysticus excellent files. Post install, USB worked fine. :(

Incidentally, Leo4all's missing dock post your installers maybe down to my installing Dock Doctor before the required 10.5.5/post installer restart. I noticed, and I have seen this in other installs, that the hard drive didn't boot up to the instruction where the OS tellis it to reboot/2nd restart, it just booted all the way to the desktop.

I have a question, though, Mystics! ;) I'm hoping, hoping you might be able to answer because an hour of googling didn't bring up anything!

In the Kalyway 10.5.2 installer, relating to motherboards, what are the 'appleonboardpcata' and 'applegenericpcata' installer options? And are they neccessary for my setup? I try to be methodical when installing from an installer I'm not familiar with and google each option and compare it with what hardware I have. On this occasion google drew a blank. Does Kalyway have its own forum board? I'm assuming from the ata part that 'appleonboardpcata' and 'applegenericpcata' relate to hard drives, mine is Sata, but do you have anything on those two? Who would need them? Many thanks :D

Definitely would good to see speedstep kernel/system.kext for laptops. Not sure voodoo 10.5.4/10.5.5 and speedstep kext are ready to go prime time?

Hi all...

Well, I realize few minutes ago, that when I boot my system I can see a message in yellow that says:

Fail to load "com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement"

Anybody knows what is wrong ?

Thanx in advance for the help.

[]´s

that shows a good sign :blink:

it is because of the disabler driver that is installed in pre stage causes that!

if AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement loads, you wont be able to boot... plus, if disabler is not installed, you wont be able to directly install an official update, without going through terminal as explained in many places... so no worry! it is a friendly message, if you dont see that message you will get a kernel panic with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement in system...