Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

brilliant work. i updated from kalyway 10.5.2. everything works, with one exception: i have a second partition on my hard drive that cannot be found. it is still there, with data, confirmed with the kalyway install CD, but the OS cannot see it. if anyone has any ideas, i'd love to hear them. i am going to back up my install on a removable drive and use a different kernel and see if this solves the problem.

post-276136-1222032512_thumb.jpg

This is working great with Kalyway 10.5.2 intel-amd.iso

System Profile

GA-P35-DS4 Bios F13 V2.0

C2D 2.66 GHz

2 GB RAM 800MHz

Nvidia 7600 GT 256 (XFX)

1 120 GB Seagate External (Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel-AMD.ISO)

1 300 GB Seagate (trying to install Retail DVD got it working until 10.5.5 update hits the install)

1 300 GB WD (Windows Vista Ultimate)

u needed to choose kernel as well!!! you are using an official update unlike before, you are using totaly official update, + couple of patches afterwards...

everyone has to choose a kernel selection for their liking, or else, only specific intel chipsets will work this is a known fact i think people dont read enough... i will put a note for that in the guide....

Well I imagine that I had to choose one kernel, but when I updated my TEST partition, I left it all kernel options unchecked and it worked well. :D

My test partition is up to date, but my main one is now gone. LOL. In both updates I didn´t check any kernel at all.

[]´s

brilliant work. i updated from kalyway 10.5.2. everything works, with one exception: i have a second partition on my hard drive that cannot be found. it is still there, with data, confirmed with the kalyway install CD, but the OS cannot see it. if anyone has any ideas, i'd love to hear them. i am going to back up my install on a removable drive and use a different kernel and see if this solves the problem.

what type of partition is your second partition? osx? or windows ntfs? dos/fat?

breakingbad: please dont be too smart ass please, you have an nforce mobo, and you definetely have to choose a kernel! either 9.4.0 or 9.2.0... else vanilla wont work and dont ask help if you re not gonna listen to what is said... also download the latest version of update package so you will make sure you have a working one!

breakingbad: please dont be too smart ass please, you have an nforce mobo, and you definetely have to choose a kernel! either 9.4.0 or 9.2.0... else vanilla wont work and dont ask help if you re not gonna listen to what is said... also download the latest version of update package so you will make sure you have a working one!

Hi mate.

I´m not trying to be smarter than anybody here.

I´m just saying here in the forum that, for my first test with your update combo v1.1, I didn´t need to select any kernel option and with the v1.2 I did the same (not choosing any kernel) and didn´t work the same way. Don´t need to be mad mate.

[]´s

how did you do the update?

which steps did you follow? pre patch? official update? post patch with custom settings? and what custom settings have u choosen?

ok, i try to give more infos:

my system:

mainboard: ga-ep35-ds4 bios F5

cpu: q6600@3GHz vcore@1,3125

ram: corsair 2x2GB 1066 dual channel

video: point of view 9800gtx+

my install:

10.5.2 kalyway -> mysticus 10.5.3 combo update -> mysticus 10.5.4 update | vanilla 9.4.0 kernel

some weeks ago i installed the graphic drivers from 10.5.5 9f9installer.pkg

audio and video were working with chameleon efi & strings methode (did it manualy couse for my graphic card there is no tool)

all was working fine until 10.5.5 update

10.5.5 update:

-pre patch; no reboot

-10.5.5 combo update from apple; no reboot

-post patch with the following custom settings: vanilla 9.5.0 kernel, ICHx fix, restore audio, restore network, smbios 1066 + macpro; reboot

-after second reboot i deleted all kext files with powermanagement in its name

what is not working:

-shutdown

-reboot

-QE/CI

what is working:

-all other things are working, sleep not tested

what i tried to fix the problems:

-reverted to old AppleACPIPlatform.kext (the one for my mainboard with restart fix) -> no boot, "does not match with kernel version ..." or something like that

-reverted to the AppleACPIPlatform.kext wich was installed by update -> boots, no restart, no shutdown

-installed 9f23installer.pkg by nvinstaller in hope off get QE/CI working -> no success

-tried to install leopard graphics update 1.0 -> couldn`t choose disk, so i couldn't install it

i hope this was enough info and someone could help me! :blink:

what type of partition is your second partition? osx? or windows ntfs? dos/fat?

it is osx, for sure. i had the same problem with an iATKOS v4 install. the kalyway 10.5.2 showed the partition and it worked. when i did the 10.5.5 update, it doesn't show the other osx partition on the drive. this is not a deal breaker. in fact, i am VERY happy with the install and your assistance. my DVD playback is flawless, which was a problem with the other two installs mentioned above.

strong work mysticus, you are the dude!

breakingbad: i m keep saying to you to choose kernel, and you are keep refusing to choose one an keep reporting error... there is no error there, the only error is yourself not following what i say, an keep reporting problem... i say again, you need to select kernel! and other suitable options that are required!

paratox: i dont know what is the deal with 9800 card but it looks like your qe/ci is supported through some patches? , so what i can suggest you is go to root and find the backupkexts_prior_10_5_5combo (of cource if you didnt run the packages twice, which would back up current ones which would have no effect) and copy back your previous files using terminal

sudo su

pass

cd to back up folder

and

cp -R GeF* /System/Library/Extensions/

cp -R NVD* /System/Library/Extensions/

that should be it for gfx

and for audio, you should just use restore option, bcoz you are using efi strings in com.apple.boot.plist which should not be overwritten i think..

others are also necessary, like chipset: ichx smbios and kernel as 9.4.0 and not the vanilla!

nynor: your hardware specs are missing in your signature, please add something like mine, so we can see what you have... for the partition issue, i m not sure what may cause it unless it is damaged or something? if it is osx partition, it should show up just fine, but you may have trouble with partitioning? did you use guid partition scheme for your system before? which may be responsible?

nynor: your hardware specs are missing in your signature, please add something like mine, so we can see what you have... for the partition issue, i m not sure what may cause it unless it is damaged or something? if it is osx partition, it should show up just fine, but you may have trouble with partitioning? did you use guid partition scheme for your system before? which may be responsible?

i partitioned using the disk utility in the installation. its not damaged, the system can see it when i use the install disk. i believe i did use the guid scheme. trust me, i know partitioning, from dos to linux to mac to windows. like i said, the system was seeing and using it with kalyway 10.5.2. its really not a big deal, but would be nice to fix.

i partitioned using the disk utility in the installation. its not damaged, the system can see it when i use the install disk. i believe i did use the guid scheme. trust me, i know partitioning, from dos to linux to mac to windows. like i said, the system was seeing and using it with kalyway 10.5.2. its really not a big deal, but would be nice to fix.

it must be something to do with guid, and i dont understand why people complicate their systems... just make a clean install and use MBR partitioning, after 10.5.2 install you can apply the 10.5.5 procedure directly as it is combo...

it must be something to do with guid, and i dont understand why people complicate their systems... just make a clean install and use MBR partitioning, after 10.5.2 install you can apply the 10.5.5 procedure directly as it is combo...
i thought that guid was the simplistic way to do the partitioning. my bad. i have a time machine backup, so i'll futz with it and then try the MBR partitioning and move my install over, if that is possible. if not, i'll do a clean install and call it a day.

guide creates additional stuffs as well which later complicates things... guid mainly is good for server type of systems, a regular good old JOE will not change his partition size too often, and there is no need for it as well, apart from looking cool to say i have guid :whistle: use mbr and dont worry about others... and i dont think u ll be installing more than 3 operating systems in one hdd...

see my guide in post one regarding how to make brick free system... partitioning part is guidance and up to you to size it as you like but u need to understand the idea... once you do, rest is very easy, and u wont brick anything...

guide creates additional stuffs as well which later complicates things... guid mainly is good for server type of systems, a regular good old JOE will not change his partition size too often, and there is no need for it as well, apart from looking cool to say i have guid :whistle: use mbr and dont worry about others... and i dont think u ll be installing more than 3 operating systems in one hdd...

see my guide in post one regarding how to make brick free system... partitioning part is guidance and up to you to size it as you like but u need to understand the idea... once you do, rest is very easy, and u wont brick anything...

well, i thought i read the original post. i'll look at it again. seriously, you rock. i bricked my machine six times trying to get 10.5.5 on it, and your stuff worked.

The link for the pre and post patches aren't working. They just open a new window to msg someone else

From now on, there wont be any trumpet buttons... Instead it will be through PM...

SO PM ME TO GET THE LINKS FROM NOW ON... USING THIS BUTTON ==> :whistle:

Please, do not post the links in public... So we dont break the forum laws...

Also if anyone asks any link, use Private Messaging to answer... No Public Link Release Please...

I guess reading Myst's first post was too much trouble?

Hos...

Somwwhat sucessfull after using the CUSTOMIZE scheme\

endless booting problem resolved.

1. Prepatch - no restart

2. Update - no restart

3. Post Patch Customization used then restarted

Customization schemes used.

kernel: 9.4.0

audio: just restore

network: just restore

video: nvinject 512 mb + Tried with n withour Graphics kexts,

system func: smbios: mac pro acpi

also tried with n without VIA ATA .. option in there

One More problem ::: this time bit smaller i hope

. but when the Apple Cricle stops moving n the OS loads ... it freezes at the blue screen ..... ( initial loading screen dosent show anything further. ) .. i can play with my mouse ... i did that for 17 Mins.

but nothing moves further ....... tried to boot in safe mode . nothing happens then also ...

Y this happens 2 me ... :mellow:

im again on the road with the torch in my hand and searching Mysticus C* who 'll then search the slolution ... :P

I know this is not the right place to ask ...

But now i got my Leo working right ... i want to play a little...

How to right backup ( on another partition ) the current kernel, and give 9.5.0 a try ... or even VooDoo XNU 9.5.0 kernel ???

Extract the vanilla one from the post update package ...

If things went wrong - how can i restore from terminal using the CD ??

breakingbad: i m keep saying to you to choose kernel, and you are keep refusing to choose one an keep reporting error... there is no error there, the only error is yourself not following what i say, an keep reporting problem... i say again, you need to select kernel! and other suitable options that are required!

Sorry mate.

I didn´t want to make you mad.

BTW, you told me that 9.4.0 kernel should work for nforce mobos but I got error message when choose that. System asked me to reboot right after I checked the 9.4.0 kernel. :(

Maybe it´s something with my mobo.

I´ll try again tomorrow.

[]´s

Sorry mate.

I didn´t want to make you mad.

BTW, you told me that 9.4.0 kernel should work for nforce mobos but I got error message when choose that. System asked me to reboot right after I checked the 9.4.0 kernel. :D

Maybe it´s something with my mobo.

I´ll try again tomorrow.

[]´s

than try teh last working version, 9.2.0 sleep

ygor : read first post to the end, not one sentence pls, it has a small guide info on how to make a brick free system, and allows u to do all torture tests w/o bricking anytg... understand what it says, never ever brick anytg?

people who are looking for patch files: You guys are not pressing the link hard enough to bring the actual link... if you press it softly, or one time, it will only open message box, if you press hard and three times it will open the actual link.... :D:(

paratox: i dont know what is the deal with 9800 card but it looks like your qe/ci is supported through some patches? , so what i can suggest you is go to root and find the backupkexts_prior_10_5_5combo (of cource if you didnt run the packages twice, which would back up current ones which would have no effect) and copy back your previous files using terminal

sudo su

pass

cd to back up folder

and

cp -R GeF* /System/Library/Extensions/

cp -R NVD* /System/Library/Extensions/

that should be it for gfx

and for audio, you should just use restore option, bcoz you are using efi strings in com.apple.boot.plist which should not be overwritten i think..

others are also necessary, like chipset: ichx smbios and kernel as 9.4.0 and not the vanilla!

today morning shutdown magicaly works. after work i`ll restore the graphix extensions and report.

i shouldn`t use vanilla kernel? 9.5.0 vanilla works, the only thing wich won`t work is restart at now. on 10.5.4 i had 9.4.0 vanilla kernel installed and all was working. which kernel should i choose?

eidt: i now found the error on boot, if i revert to the old AppleACPIPlatform.kext (for fixing restart problem):

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

would be changing the Info.plist to correct version a solution? if yes, for what do i have to pay attention?

Mysticus C*

Tried installing JaS OS X86 10.5.4 Client/Server

during installation it freezes @ ' Still waiting for root device"

What 've tried ..

HDD n DVD Rom on IDE Buses both ... Master Slave combinations/.

HDD n DVD Rom on SATA2 Ports ..

tried each n every JUMPER Setting for master slave options.

My Board is INTELD101GGC ... having SB450 sata support........

can i install 10.5.4 JaS on it ... ?

if yes .. then advice the solution ./.

After it 'll be installed den 'll try 2 update to 10.5.5 using ur method.

The previous attempt on ToHLeo 10.5 RC2 .. failed on the point that after the restart .. nothing goes beyond the blue screen ..

lokking for the +ve solution