Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

ok guys. I figured the major issue in the update was couple of typos and one misuse of dsmos script replacement :) all fixed now...

+ restore audio

+ restore network

+ dsmos script (which is responsible in the second restart)

+ added nvidia gfx (which was being deleted bcoz of my stupid typo mistake... so i included full drivers in case u removed them all)

+ made acpi default as all install releases are using old acpi apic, i decided to place old one in place in case of any compatibility issues...

everything should work correctly after the update

OK new version is ready to test ;)

this should be fixing majority of problems (except those related to PS/2 keyb mouse touchpad issues which i will release separate patch for it i think on monday)

@haxi: can you test the new version on a cloned partition to see everything working this time?

GOOD LUCK

Will do.....will report back as soon as I am able..... ;)

Hi ygor.

I have one AOC 19" widescreen.

I believe it could have higher resolution.

[]´s

Well i really don't known - maybe with the model we could find out other information.

But i think your only problem is related to the monitor not drivers or setup. I also have one Monitor with 19" but a CRT not LCD and not wide, the native resolution is 1600x1280 if i'm not wrong, but different monitors, have different resolutions both on wide and normal. Check out model or manual on google and you will find out the native resolution.

@ygor: choose

post patch options

kernel: stagexnu

chipset: ichx (to get icons fixed and correct controller ids (i suggest u to get a sata hdd or use your jmicron controller set ahci mode from bios)

gfx: choose either nvkush or one of the nvinjects + if u tried teh update earlier, use the gfx fix as well for nvidia

audio: i dont know ur audio chip so use just restore option

network: just restore

system func: smbios/mac pro

thats it it should work :)

also make sure you follow the order of installations (1 pre patch 2 official update 3 post patch with custom settings...)

@brekaingbad: if your monitor supports more resolution, and if u have full qe/ci, than you should not have any problem using... however 1440x900 is a standard resolution, and for 19 inch monitor, it would be normal i think, else you would not have that res... are you able to change any resolution to lower? or is it stuck at 1440x900?

Hi Mysticus... I'm running now from my cloned partition and, having read the recent updates to the thread, assume that the small issues I was having with sound (fixed by drilling into your packages and finding the requisite kexts and installing them with OSx86Tools). My system is the ALC889... was using ALCinject and AppleHDA kexts provided in previous bundles (I think from Kalyway or a bundle provided from one of the guys with a similar Gigabyte mobo)... what I'm wondering is if the new installer will fix things if I use the "restore audio" or if I should check the ALC885-889 checkbox AND the "just restore audio" or???

Following are the selections I made when customizing the post-patch:

th_48950_install_options_used_122_31lo.jpg

One other thing I noticed, and this could be because of selecting the new "vanilla" kernel, my system did not restart the second time after I finished and re-started the 1st time round (that time, things were a bit weird). After manually restarting, things seemed better (I think I also added the missing audio kexts at that point). And the computer doesn't re-start at all, anymore (I think)... just sort of shuts down (but the PS keeps running, etc). I wanted to go with the vanilla kernel since it may make my next updates easier, but it's not critical. I think I liked my old kernel fine, too... and did like that it would shut down and/or re-start from the OS w/o me having to come back and push the switch. I'm guessing that was the 9.2.0 ToH "Sleep" kernel, but I'm not sure.

I'm going to download your latest rev patches and instead of cloning what I have now, I'll apply the patches to my original start-up drive, then copy over a couple other changes I've made on this partition (2nd start -up). With my specs in mind (here's a copy of my signature in case you are looking at the thread in "lo-fi" mode) would you suggest doing anything differently from what I did the first time? Yeah, I still have to update the signature to reflect my move from Mysticus's 10.5.3 -patched system to 10.5.5...

GA-EP35-DS4, E8400 3GHz C2D 45nm, 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-800, Case: Antec Sonata III, Sapphire Radeon HD2600XT 256MB GDDR3 "Ultimate" (fanless), Samsung SH-203D DVD, 4 SATA HDDs: 2x 500 GB WD5000AACS, 750GB Samsung SpinPoint F1, 640GB WD6400AAKS (external). Power use: ~100w (130w full load). Used Kalyway 10.5.2 installer — All works: 2xDVI monitors, QE/CI, sleep/wake (Thanks a million to all who've helped me!) —>10.5.3 thanks to Mysticus's updater. Had to re-install alc889a (AppleHDA and ALCinject kexts) drivers using OSx86 Tools to get sound working (thanks, pcwiz!). Now just trying to be happy with my stuff as it is...

Anyway, I'm pleased with how things are, in general, already, so thanks a lot, Mysticus!

Hi Mysticus... I'm running now from my cloned partition and, having read the recent updates to the thread, assume that the small issues I was having with sound (fixed by drilling into your packages and finding the requisite kexts and installing them with OSx86Tools). My system is the ALC889... was using ALCinject and AppleHDA kexts provided in previous bundles (I think from Kalyway or a bundle provided from one of the guys with a similar Gigabyte mobo)... what I'm wondering is if the new installer will fix things if I use the "restore audio" or if I should check the ALC885-889 checkbox AND the "just restore audio" or???

Following are the selections I made when customizing the post-patch:

th_48950_install_options_used_122_31lo.jpg

One other thing I noticed, and this could be because of selecting the new "vanilla" kernel, my system did not restart the second time after I finished and re-started the 1st time round (that time, things were a bit weird). After manually restarting, things seemed better (I think I also added the missing audio kexts at that point). And the computer doesn't re-start at all, anymore (I think)... just sort of shuts down (but the PS keeps running, etc). I wanted to go with the vanilla kernel since it may make my next updates easier, but it's not critical. I think I liked my old kernel fine, too... and did like that it would shut down and/or re-start from the OS w/o me having to come back and push the switch. I'm guessing that was the 9.2.0 ToH "Sleep" kernel, but I'm not sure.

I'm going to download your latest rev patches and instead of cloning what I have now, I'll apply the patches to my original start-up drive, then copy over a couple other changes I've made on this partition (2nd start -up). With my specs in mind (here's a copy of my signature in case you are looking at the thread in "lo-fi" mode) would you suggest doing anything differently from what I did the first time? Yeah, I still have to update the signature to reflect my move from Mysticus's 10.5.3 -patched system to 10.5.5...

GA-EP35-DS4, E8400 3GHz C2D 45nm, 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-800, Case: Antec Sonata III, Sapphire Radeon HD2600XT 256MB GDDR3 "Ultimate" (fanless), Samsung SH-203D DVD, 4 SATA HDDs: 2x 500 GB WD5000AACS, 750GB Samsung SpinPoint F1, 640GB WD6400AAKS (external). Power use: ~100w (130w full load). Used Kalyway 10.5.2 installer — All works: 2xDVI monitors, QE/CI, sleep/wake (Thanks a million to all who've helped me!) —>10.5.3 thanks to Mysticus's updater. Had to re-install alc889a (AppleHDA and ALCinject kexts) drivers using OSx86 Tools to get sound working (thanks, pcwiz!). Now just trying to be happy with my stuff as it is...

Anyway, I'm pleased with how things are, in general, already, so thanks a lot, Mysticus!

if u start from a new installation --meaning no 10.5.5 update run--, it should update everything fine this time)

i checked everything this time, all the restart issues (well not all restart issues related to update itself but wrong kernel) should be fixed, if u do things in correct order, 1-2-3 and choose correct stuffs, everything should work fine... restart at the end, and system will restart once again itself as it should...

yellow error about cpupowermanagement is ok, due to disabler driver to taht people dont have trouble updating original :)

note that i didnt add any ati drivers, which you may need for your 2600 xt... :P noone demanded so i didnt include any...

you can restore previous ones by going into terminal

sudo su

pass

cp -R /backupkexts_prior_10_5_5combo/ATINDRV.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

it should fix your gfx problem if it will happen...

@brekaingbad: if your monitor supports more resolution, and if u have full qe/ci, than you should not have any problem using... however 1440x900 is a standard resolution, and for 19 inch monitor, it would be normal i think, else you would not have that res... are you able to change any resolution to lower? or is it stuck at 1440x900?

Mate, I can put my resolution lower than 1440x900 for sure, but higher I can´t. :)

I´ll check the manual of my monitor to see how high the resolution can go.

---------------

BTW, I tried the new update package to one of my partition of OSX and it bricked everything. I´m not able to start from this partition again. :P

I don´t know what could be wrong, because I followed every same step from the update of my other partition that worked like a charm. Is there a chance to get the log of the system? I still can acess my bad partition from the good one. Tell me how so I can know what gone wrong. See ya.

[]´s

if u start from a new installation --meaning no 10.5.5 update run--, it should update everything fine this time)

Okay, so I should have everything selected as before or would you recommend making any changes to the settings I used?

i checked everything this time, all the restart issues (well not all restart issues related to update itself but wrong kernel) should be fixed, if u do things in correct order, 1-2-3 and choose correct stuffs, everything should work fine... restart at the end, and system will restart once again itself as it should...
It was that second automatic re-start that I never saw, but I think it must have done the "install on start-up" script. (Don't remember what it's called, exactly, but I did see that it wasn't getting installed on one of my previous attempts (not with your patch... my own attempt at using Netkas method with the combo updater... got most things working but enough things not that I decided not to keep that installation).
[...] yellow error about cpupowermanagement is ok, due to disabler driver to taht people dont have trouble updating original :P

I forgot to re-start with -v... I'll try to remember this time.

note that i didnt add any ati drivers, which you may need for your 2600 xt... ;) noone demanded so i didnt include any...

I think my graphics are still working normally, but I saw that your script had made a back-up copy of my Extensions folder (I'll delete that since I have already used OSx86 to make a backup on another drive)... Anyway, everything looks normal in the Graphics/Displays tab of System Profiler: QE/CI are both fine, etc. I don't think there's anything to worry about with my graphics card, maybe 'cos they are in "real" Macs.

Thanks for the tips and for everything. You're tops, Mysticus! :)

@ygor: choose

post patch options

kernel: stagexnu

chipset: ichx (to get icons fixed and correct controller ids (i suggest u to get a sata hdd or use your jmicron controller set ahci mode from bios)

gfx: choose either nvkush or one of the nvinjects + if u tried teh update earlier, use the gfx fix as well for nvidia

audio: i dont know ur audio chip so use just restore option

network: just restore

system func: smbios/mac pro

thats it it should work :)

also make sure you follow the order of installations (1 pre patch 2 official update 3 post patch with custom settings...)

Thanks ... i will now shutdown windows :$ oops i was playing TF2 :D

Just one more question, any explain why i must select StageXNU 9.4.0 Kernel instead of Vanilla 9.5.0 since the 9.4.0 vanilla in IDeneb works like a charm for me ?

Thanks for your help.

ygor: probably 9.4.0 kernel had other patches to work with it, which i didnt include any, so you may have restart/shutdown issues... 9.4.0 stagexnu is pretty well as well...

people who downloaded 1.1.2 initial release, please download the latest one please, because initially i uploaded the wrong one, and it is fixed, the link currently shows the latest version as of now... please check the links again, and download the latest version please... (the link is just updated from the host, i dont know why it didnt earlier...)

jestageek: pretty much similar to 954 options...
Hmm... Not sure what you mean by "954 options". Anyway, if you looked at the screenshot I took of the "customize" step of the post-patch v. 1.1.0, you can see pretty much what I did the second time 'round... except that I didn't check "Just restore audio" (and maybe I should have?) I did check the options related to my audio devices and the Azalia checkbox, since that sounded familiar (alc889 stuff plus Azalia) for AppleHDA, etc. Nothing from graphics. Just restore network...

When re-starting, I selected the "-v" option and saw a couple things flash by in yellow, but only got to see one clearly: some kind of problem with PCGenUSBEHCI, or something.

There was also an error on-screen: ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security mode; defaulting to full-secure [... then ...]

Syncing disks...

killing all processes.

continuing

Bootcache: hit rate below threshold (129 hits on 2347 lookups)

done

Mach Reboot

[ ... and then nothing happened. I had to manually re-set the system.]

Now it has been re-started, but the system audio is missing. In System Profile, it does show I have the Intel High Def Audio, but there aren't any input/output, etc shown. In the sound panel, there would be nothing, except I have a USB headset plugged in (and that's showing) and I have the soundflower extension (and those are showing for both 2ch and 16ch).

I'm gonna try re-installing the audio-related codecs from the packages using OSx86Tools, repair permissions, etc, then reboot. Last time doing all of that fixed the problems. Indeed, perhaps repairing permissions, now, will turn something up. (Stops to do that... Nothing came up that seems relevant to the audio-kexts. But there were some odd things:

Repairing permissions for “Leo1”

Reading permissions database.

Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Group differs on "usr/bin/kdestroy", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/bin/kinit", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/bin/klist", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/bin/kpasswd", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/bin/kswitch", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/bin/kvno", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kadmin", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kadmin.local", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kadmind", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kdb5_ldap_util", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kdb5_util", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kprop", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kpropd", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/krb5kdc", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/ktutil", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 0, group is 26.

Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .

Permissions repair complete

A second "repair permissions" run came up clean.

Well, I'll try re-installing the audio kexts from your package, as I did last time 'round and see if that works again.

BTW, I've checked in the terminal (using uname -a) and it appears I'm more-or-less successfully on the Vanilla kernel now. [ ...] 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Wed Sep 3 11:29:43 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.7.58~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 Do you know if there's a re-start/shutdown fix that doesn't require replacing the kernel?

Thanks again, for everything. I'll post back regarding my audio. I guess I'll need to re-start again.

jestageek: pretty much similar to 954 options...
Hmm... Not sure what you mean by "954 options". Anyway, if you looked at the screenshot I took of the "customize" step of the post-patch v. 1.1.0, you can see pretty much what I did the second time 'round... except that I didn't check "Just restore audio" (and maybe I should have?) I did check the options related to my audio devices and the Azalia checkbox, since that sounded familiar (alc889 stuff plus Azalia) for AppleHDA, etc. Nothing from graphics. Just restore network...

When re-starting, I selected the "-v" option and saw a couple things flash by in yellow, but only got to see one clearly: some kind of problem with PCGenUSBEHCI, or something.

There was also an error on-screen: ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security mode; defaulting to full-secure [... then ...]

Syncing disks...

killing all processes.

continuing

Bootcache: hit rate below threshold (129 hits on 2347 lookups)

done

Mach Reboot

[ ... and then nothing happened. I had to manually re-set the system.]

Now it has been re-started, but the system audio is missing. In System Profile, it does show I have the Intel High Def Audio, but there aren't any input/output, etc shown. In the sound panel, there would be nothing, except I have a USB headset plugged in (and that's showing) and I have the soundflower extension (and those are showing for both 2ch and 16ch).

I'm gonna try re-installing the audio-related codecs from the packages using OSx86Tools, repair permissions, etc, then reboot. Last time doing all of that fixed the problems. Indeed, perhaps repairing permissions, now, will turn something up. (Stops to do that... Nothing came up that seems relevant to the audio-kexts. But there were some odd things:

Repairing permissions for “Leo1”

Reading permissions database.

Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Group differs on "usr/bin/kdestroy", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/bin/kinit", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/bin/klist", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/bin/kpasswd", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/bin/kswitch", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/bin/kvno", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kadmin", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kadmin.local", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kadmind", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kdb5_ldap_util", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kdb5_util", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kprop", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/kpropd", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/krb5kdc", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "usr/sbin/ktutil", should be 80, group is 0.

Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 0, group is 26.

Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .

Permissions repair complete

A second "repair permissions" run came up clean.

Well, I'll try re-installing the audio kexts from your package, as I did last time 'round and see if that works again.

BTW, I've checked in the terminal (using uname -a) and it appears I'm more-or-less successfully on the Vanilla kernel now. [ ...] 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Wed Sep 3 11:29:43 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.7.58~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 Do you know if there's a re-start/shutdown fix that doesn't require replacing the kernel?

Thanks again, for everything. I'll post back regarding my audio. I guess I'll need to re-start again.

Edit/Update: Finally got audio working... went back to old kexts. I guess I should have used the "Just restore" option for my audio. Anyway, everything is running great now; I've got a happy Mac, once again... Cheers, Mysticus C! :happymac:

Thanks for the update Mysticus C*! I Applied 10.5.5 v1.2 on test partition and boots up fine. I just have one little question, when I boot in -v I see a message:

"apple.PCIConfigurator has immediate dependances apple.com.kernel and apple.kpl" sorry its not word for word. I've searched the forums its seems common, but I could'nt find an answer.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the update Mysticus C*! I Applied 10.5.5 v1.2 on test partition and boots up fine. I just have one little question, when I boot in -v I see a message:

"apple.PCIConfigurator has immediate dependances apple.com.kernel and apple.kpl" sorry its not word for word. I've searched the forums its seems common, but I could'nt find an answer.

Thanks again.

it means although it is loading fine, it is looking for its correct matching version files i think, but it is ok, same with appleacpi and apic... :( some files we use are old files... due to compatibility...

jestageek: 954 is the post number :) i suggested couple of options in that post to ygor... every post has a number on right top corner... i am assuming you are using the latest version of the pre patch and post patch and correct combo update? (combo update link i posted initially was for server :) which i didnt pay attention due to being very tired)

all nforce mobo owners: please use gfx fix option in nvidia section if you have an nforce mobo! this is due to some unique situation. The reason for that is because, when drivers load, they should be checked against classes (vga? audio? chipset controller? ethernet etc...) before they load, nvidia drivers on a mac doesnt do this check due to not having nvidia chipset.... therefore if you have an nforce mobo, you have many nvidia branded components, and gfx drivers are loading against them... for example, a chipset component? to fix this u need to add class matching in the driver so that gfx drivers load only when they found vga card. u may say, why intel gfx cards dont have this issue in intel chipsets?, because intel gfx drivers have class identification... :D

Hey Mysticus' patches with Apple 10.5.5 combo update 1.1.2 works on my Dell 530 from Leo4All10.5.2 ->Kalyway update 10.5.3 -> apple 10.5.4 delta..

Intel Mobo ICH9

Netgear Network Card

ALC888 HD sound

4GB RAM

2.4GHZ Core2Quad

ATX 2600 PC-E

Vanilla Kernel

etc..

Had a few glitches tho' - Startup froze three times during startup as it was backing into the code. I just kept on restarting and finally ended up booting into 10.5.5. I don't know why and I'm not even asking B) If you are stuck, just keep trying..

Anyway thanks!

reinstalled with updated version and still get the same error with my finder acting funny as stated before. guess there's no fix for this

jaev: can you please provide information regarding what steps u followed? (how did u install patches order? 1-2-3? 2-1-3? 3-2-1? ) and please tell me what options did u choose in last patch? and also boot using -v and get screen caps of everything until you get to the gui screen... because everything you are saying sounds like you did some mistakes and in correct choices or u used the previous version of the update (1.1.2 was initially sent wrong one :) later fixed that current one is the latest

if u wanna give it a try, make sure tell me above information first, so i can tell u which options to choose?

additionally please tell your chipset controller info? (intel ich 5? 6? 7? 8? whatever? and the mode ahci? or ide mode?)

only than i can give propar help regarding what to choose from update patchs

kramark: that screen is not freezing, it is the initial restart screen, depending on your specs, it will take some time, and at the end of that process, system will restart one more time! so there is nothing wrong there

badkidforum: it depends on your mobo's compatibility, you can try selecting 9.4.0 stagexnu kernel, and usual drivers, including personal choice smbios from system functions and give it a go... and make sure you follow teh order of installs and dont restart until u are done installing all three!

and be patient because system will restart once more... wait patiently... system will show a screen like kramark's screen cap

 Mysticus C*

i tried to load up again but this time without entering the verbose mode,the loading circle stops in the apple logo white screen and the harddisk is not reading anything.

I had that before, it was due to me not setting the driver in the bios to ahci, not sure if you have the same problem.

kramark: please respect what i said about dont pm me support questions!

gma drivers on the update package are for specific device ids! which i named next to gma... u r responsible to know your device id

for your problem regarding the boot issue is probably unselected ichx drivers from the post patch? start a fresh install and try

kernel: 9.4.0 stagexnu

chipset: ichx

audio n network: just restore

video: correct gma drivers with your device id! (this is a must for your situation)

system func: smbios of your choice, if u had usb 2 controller issue before, choose usb fix (but make sure you understand what it is for...

 Mysticus C*

thanks for the reply i'm not asking about the support i'm just curious why did you put gma 900 files there if the precombo backups the kext already and i have a working videocard already(kext) so why is it needed to select it that is what i meant sorry if you misunderstood me..

back up means drivers from previous install saved in a folder, that doesnt mean it is gonna be installed unless you do it manually yourself! and unfortunately many people are not able to use couple of terminal commands to do it... so i put the options of installing, because with the update they will be replaced to no patched ones, and upon restart you will loose functionality! untill you replace them from the backup folder...

and i didnt misunderstand your question, it is a support related question, and i specifically told in my posts and PMs about it, not being PMed questions regarding support questions...

is this gonna work?

is it compatible with this specs?

what is inside it?

what do i need to do?

etc?

are all support related questions. and i m fed up with those type of questions, and my PM box is keep filling up every couple hours and half of them are stupid support questions which i said should be asked in the forum topics!

i m not against answering questions in PM, but what is the point of having community forum? i would do all these as a customer service dept... you are the one misunderstanding... I am quite fed up arguing about this stupid subject, people either get offended or misunderstand what i m saying regarding PMs and they start arguing...