X700 and other PCIE ATI Radeon finally work

koverg

923 posts in this topic

I cant seem to be getting this to work. I am running a ati x700 pro pci-e with ID 5e4b the same ID as koverg's x700. I followed the steps by http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...indpost&p=79593 and after I reboot I get a (display: family specific matching fails) and i have to reinstall. I just dont know what I am doing wrong hear I need some help with this one. can anyone with the same card fill me in on how to do it. Thanks for all the help

Hey... I get the same problem with my sapphire x800gto (dev id = 5D4F)... I get the "display: family specific matching fails" and then a complete freeze at "login window application started" if I apply koverg's patch. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. The first few times I did re-install OSX but then I found out you just had to type in the -x parameter and then when loaded into OSX "unpatch" the files that were fixed. One thing that I was able to figure out is how to change the resolution to 1280x1024x32... which is what I wanted. But if anyone knows how to get Koverg's patch working for an x800gto... PLEASE LET ME KNOW... I desperately would like to get QE and CI working!!!

Thanks

Luke D.

I used Myzar. But I think the installation was a little messed up, cos I got this result on maxxuss_sse:

Diagnostic Tool for MAXXUSS SSE3 Emulator v5.0 (10.4.4/8g1165)

* Version:

MAXXUSS SSE3-Emulator v5.0-8G1165

* Features:

FISTTP, LDDQU, MOVDDUP;

HT/Multi-Core supported

* Diagnostic Infos:

In-use Codeslots = 0

Full Diagnostic Info = Not Available

Slots Cleared Counter = 0

Last Invalid Instr = 0xf0b8b7a, 0x1c0faef8

Last Invalid Instr EIP = 0x444f4d5

Invalid Instr Counter = 402

Query INTR Counter = 1

InvOp INTR Counter = 402

I should be getting all zero values for Rosetta to be working properly, right? Anyway not seeing SSE3 listed on my CPU features is also a little disturbing. So as we speak I'm getting MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL/AMD/SSE3/SSE2).iso to reinstall and to see if it makes any difference.

Btw I don't respond well to all CAPS. If you want to ask for help, ask nicely and refrain from shouting.

My x700 is 5E4D. I didn't work any magic or bless the card or anything. I just followed the instructions as closely as possible. My first attempt was a failure so I had to reinstall OS X from scratch.

Note to newbies: when you see something like "./blah blah blah", the easiest way is to locate the "blah blah blah" file, and drag and drop right into the Terminal.

@Good Guy: This is a little bit strange, because the SSE3 emulator runs only on a CPU that doesn't support SSE3. It "simply" catches the errorcode returned by the system and translates this "unknown" SSE3 code to SSE2 code (with an overhead of round about 600 to 800%). The means: even on a patched kernel the emulator wont run on a SSE3 cpu, because the system will never report a error (it simply runs the instruction)

dripple

@Good Guy: This is a little bit strange, because the SSE3 emulator runs only on a CPU that doesn't support SSE3. It "simply" catches the errorcode returned by the system and translates this "unknown" SSE3 code to SSE2 code (with an overhead of round about 600 to 800%). The means: even on a patched kernel the emulator wont run on a SSE3 cpu, because the system will never report a error (it simply runs the instruction)

dripple

woah... so let me understand this... even though osx86 doesn't list my athlon 64 3200+(venice) as having SSE3 (which it does), it doesn't affect anything??? Am I understanding this correctly or do I have to fix something in order for it to work properly??? Or is it just a glitch that it doesn't show it as supporting sse3???

-Confused-

Luke D.

I did a reinstall and applied the patch again, still hangs at boot with the error display: family specific matching fails

Pretty damned annoying that only my X850 XT doesn't seem to be supported. But OSX runs great otherwise so, I guess I shouldn't complain.

I did a reinstall and applied the patch again, still hangs at boot with the error display: family specific matching fails

Pretty damned annoying that only my X850 XT doesn't seem to be supported. But OSX runs great otherwise so, I guess I shouldn't complain.

Yeah ... I get the same thing with my x800gto and it annoys me to no end. I really want to get QE and CI enabled so that I can use some full screen apps....anyways.. if anyone has a fix for this please let us know!!!

thanks

Luke D.

I'm currious as to why this works on some and not on others. Are the cards which this works on all OEM cards and not directly ATI cards? I have a ATI x700 Pro 256mb and it doesn't work, but others have reported a Gigabyte and ASUS x700 Pro working. Is it perhaps that the OEM's add something extra that ATI didn't?

Also.. what is the difference between the 9700 and the x700/x800 series cards? Would there be any harm in using the 9700 drivers for these cards? Has anyone tried getting the 8500 drivers to work? I tried it myself and it didn't seem to like it either.

the x700/x800 series of cards run off the 9700 driver.

I have a radeon mobility x600 card in my laptop, ATI, not oem, and it works with the koverg patch. There is no harm with using the 9700 drivers, but this patch only enables QE and CI, not resolution or refresh rate changing yet.

the x700/x800 series of cards run off the 9700 driver.

I have a radeon mobility x600 card in my laptop, ATI, not oem, and it works with the koverg patch. There is no harm with using the 9700 drivers, but this patch only enables QE and CI, not resolution or refresh rate changing yet.

Well, my card is an ATI brand as well so that may indeed be the problem.

Btw, my display doesn't go to sleep when it should, is this because it requires hardware acceleration? Does this work for people with QE and CI support?

... it doesn't affect anything???

Sorry for beeing unclear. What I want to say is: regardless what your System Profiler says, the emulator rules. If your emulator shows a "null"-statistic (or nearly "null") after running a PPC App (Rosetta makes heavy use of SSE3), your CPU supports SSE3.

But we're getting off topic.

dripple

My x800GTO (gecube) is working with CI/CE with kolverg patch.

It is a little mysterious what differentiates working from non working. My Sapphire X800GTO doesn't work, even with manual kext editing. This is AGP not PCI-e on a P4P800-E mobo.

It is a little mysterious what differentiates working from non working. My Sapphire X800GTO doesn't work, even with manual kext editing. This is AGP not PCI-e on a P4P800-E mobo.

hey... I have a sapphire x800gto but mine is pci-e and I can't get QE/CI working either... Oh, I hope someone will be able to figure out how to get us up and running. I've done almost everything I can think of... I've applied all of the patches, edited... to no avail... oh well I guess we'll just have to be patient. If you hear of anything, please let me know!!! Thanks!!!

Luke D.

My x800GTO (gecube) is working with CI/CE with kolverg patch.

is that an x800gto pci-e card or agp???

luke D.

Oooooo.... :o... I just noticed something... for myx800gto (pci-e) at the darwin boot screen it says my video card has vesa 3.0 and is only 16mb...but in OSX it says my card has 128mb... but it really has 256MB!!!!...

I can't get QE/CI enabled nor can I change the refresh rate of my monitor through com.apple.boot.plist file (though I can change the resolution)... is there any way I can fix this??? Please help, if you know anything about this... Thanks alot!!!

Luke D.

koverg process worked like a charm on my Dell D810 with the ATI Mobility Radeon X600 (ID=3150)

I do get a little artifacts on the mouse, but that is no big deal.

Right now I am running 1600x1200@60 (the native is 1920)

But, CI and QE are fully stupported and now the machine is worth using!

Thanks!

FYI - I have 10.4.5 MAXXUSS

I have OSX 10.5.5 installed fresh from DVD

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe

ATI X850 XT PE

SATA 500gig Maxtor, Gigabit Ethernet working fresh from install

OSX boots fine from drive. :)

my card shows this No Kext Loaded :guitar:

ATIRadeon9700.kext is in D:\System\Library\Extensions

I have a Dual boot setup with XP and OSX 10.4.5,

thats why in windows the OSX drive is labled D and not C :guitar:

Why no Kext Loaded???

do I need to patch the ATIRadeon9700.kext to 0x4B4C as indicated here?

1. Copy Koverg's tgz archive to your desktop and double click on it

2. Open the terminal

3. Enter "cd Desktop/koverg*" (enter)

4. Enter "sudo ./patch9700.sh 5D 4D" (enter)

5. Enter your root password (enter)

6. Enter "sudo nano -w /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/Info.plist" (enter)

7. Press "Ctrl + w"

8. Press "Ctrl + r"

9. Enter "5B60" (enter)

10. Enter "5D4D" (enter)

11. Press "y"

12. Press "Ctrl + o" (enter)

13. Press "Ctrl + x"

14. Enter "sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache" (enter)

15. Enter "kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions" (enter)

16. Open the Disk Utility (Applications / Utilities) and click on "Repair Disk Permissions"

17. Reboot Mac OS X

Thanks in advance

ATI Catalyst Control Center shows

ATI Radeon X850 Series ( it's an X850XT PE )

Device ID: 4B4C

Vendor: 1002

8X AGP

256 MB DDR3

ATI Tool 0.24

my card shows this information under Setting button.

AGP Device 0x4B4C Bus:1 Dev:0

Device ID: 4B4C

Chip Type: R481

Memory: 256 MB

under OSX 10.4.5

Display

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

VRAM: 128 MB

Vendor: ATI(0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4B4C

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

I'm currious as to why this works on some and not on others. Are the cards which this works on all OEM cards and not directly ATI cards?

I have a X850 Pro AGP(256mb) and it's an ATI Brand. I got it working only by adding my card to info.plist (which is 4B4B) and not modding the driver with koverg patch. When I edit the driver the system fails to load, staying in the terminal session.

Display:

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4b4b

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Core Image: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Hope this works for you too

I have a X850 Pro AGP(256mb) and it's an ATI Brand. I got it working only by adding my card to info.plist (which is 4B4B) and not modding the driver with koverg patch. When I edit the driver the system fails to load, staying in the terminal session.

Thank You!

I could have sworn I tried this before but I just added my device id to the plist, rebuilt the extensions and repaired permissions and now I have QE and CI support.

Anyone that's getting a "display: family specific matching fails" error or freezing at the terminal needs to disregard the patch and simply add their video card's device id to the plist.

Display:

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4b4b

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Core Image: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Hope this works for you too

This didn't work for me for my ATI x700 Pro. :)