X700 and other PCIE ATI Radeon finally work

koverg

923 posts in this topic

hey... I have a sapphire x800gto but mine is pci-e and I can't get QE/CI working either... Oh, I hope someone will be able to figure out how to get us up and running. I've done almost everything I can think of... I've applied all of the patches, edited... to no avail... oh well I guess we'll just have to be patient. If you hear of anything, please let me know!!! Thanks!!!

Luke D.

is that an x800gto pci-e card or agp???

luke D.

Oooooo.... :o... I just noticed something... for myx800gto (pci-e) at the darwin boot screen it says my video card has vesa 3.0 and is only 16mb...but in OSX it says my card has 128mb... but it really has 256MB!!!!...

I can't get QE/CI enabled nor can I change the refresh rate of my monitor through com.apple.boot.plist file (though I can change the resolution)... is there any way I can fix this??? Please help, if you know anything about this... Thanks alot!!!

Luke D.

It´s a Pci-e on a P5WD2 Premium Motherboard. Pentium D 920, 1 GB Corsair...

I had CI/QE after kolverg patch. Same settings for VESA 3 and other stuff.

well editing plist but not patching the ATIRadeon9700 binary didn't work but it comes closer (I have Sapphire X800GTO). I don't freeze after login window on the boot screen. Instead I get a garbled display and a working mouse pointer.

well editing plist but not patching the ATIRadeon9700 binary didn't work but it comes closer (I have Sapphire X800GTO). I don't freeze after login window on the boot screen. Instead I get a garbled display and a working mouse pointer.

Means you can load ATIRadeon9700.kext but when it loads ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle, the screen become unusable. You can remove that bundle, but you won't get QE/CI/GL. :gathering:

I had that garbling while trying to get my card recognize as agp. With AppleI386PCI loaded, I have to remove that GL bundle too.

I'm one step even closer, though still probably far from getting QE/CI/GL. I modified the ATIRadeon9700.kext as usual, then deleted ATIRadeon9700GADriver.plugin. Now, at least my card is actually recognized by ATIRadeon9700.kext and it loads perfectly. Only problem is that it works just as well as before, but now I'm pretty sure that Omni's framebuffer driver should work when it's released since my card is now recognized. Like I said, one step closer, but still far away. I did find that the problem lies with ATIRadeon9700GADriver.plugin though. Maybe something could be done about that...

An update:

SUCCESS! :-) I deleted my OS X install, booted into a fresh one, ran the koverg patch, and now the Desktop loads reliably and consistently, with CI/QE enabled, at any pre-defined resolution up to, and including, 1900x1200. :-)

So, the problem was some modification to the system that I performed after the initial install, as suspected. I've been really busy and haven't had enough time to "debug" things, but will now explore the possibilities outlined above (that will be either later today, my day off, or this comming Saturday, my next day off :-) ).

Those having trouble getting the patch to work should try applying it immediately after a fresh install (with absolutely no mods whatsoever) - I bet you it will work. Then, apply each change to your install, performing several reboots after each, to ensure the Desktop loads reliably. What? Did you think it was going to be easy? ;-)

If you go ahead with it, report back with results. :-) Cheers!

Well, time to eat my words. :( After I posted this, rebooted, and everything was fine. I rebooted a second time, again fine. After a third reboot, it hung again at the 'loading login window' message, requiring a Safe Boot to get back to the Desktop. After 20+ OS reinstalls, and trying various things, I'm plumb out of ideas.

The problem is there doesn't appear to be a cause-effect relationship. I've tried isolating the variables I outlined in a previous post, but none of them seem to be involved. There simply seems to be NO cause-effect relationship between applying the patch and getting the Desktop to load reliably with HW acceleration.

After each OS reinstall, I'd apply the patch on a completely unmodified system. Sometimes the Desktop would load reliably in the immediately next reboot, sometimes not. If it did load after the patch, it would eventually fail on subsequent tries. The only things that remained constant were 1) no matter how many times I tried after the first failure, the Desktop simply refused to load w/QE and CI thereafter (I tried hex editing the file, too, but the result was no different), and 2) HW acceleration only ever worked, when it worked, immediately after patching (and, even then, only till the Desktop failed to load).

The only thing I haven't tried yet is attempting to use the Primary Port (DVI). Thusfar I've been trying to get it working on the Secondary Port (VGA) (for technical reasons - I'll have to do some major shuffling around of HW in order to put the display connected to the VGA port onto the DVI port).

I'm going to look into this last option and see what happens. In the meantime, anyone have any ideas? :)

I haven't had any success getting my x700 to work, but I would like to know if there's something for Mac's which can give information about our ATI video cards like the gpu/mem speeds, pixel pipelines, benchmarking, and such. Is there something like 3DMark which can be run to make sure it's stable? The reason why I'm wondering is because even though a Radeon 9700 driver might work for some of us, how do we know it's not overclocking the card or trying to access parts of the card which aren't available? I'm wondering if this might be the reason why this driver works for some and not for others. Since not all cards have the same clock and memory speeds, would this driver try to make them run at 9700 speeds?

I'm not sure if anyone really knows this information since really all we're doing is modifying a binary file and Info.plist file so that it will allow us to run using this binary file.

I haven't had any success getting my x700 to work, but I would like to know if there's something for Mac's which can give information about our ATI video cards like the gpu/mem speeds, pixel pipelines, benchmarking, and such. Is there something like 3DMark which can be run to make sure it's stable? The reason why I'm wondering is because even though a Radeon 9700 driver might work for some of us, how do we know it's not overclocking the card or trying to access parts of the card which aren't available? I'm wondering if this might be the reason why this driver works for some and not for others. Since not all cards have the same clock and memory speeds, would this driver try to make them run at 9700 speeds?

I'm not sure if anyone really knows this information since really all we're doing is modifying a binary file and Info.plist file so that it will allow us to run using this binary file.

I highly doubt that using a newer card on an older driver will damage it. If anything, you'd be limiting some of the features of your x700. That said, the worst that would likely happen is that the display just doesn't show up or you have to reboot due to a crash. I don't think that it will harm it though.

Hey... I got the exact same thing when only editing the info.plist file and not doing the binary edit... I can move my mouse... but ther screen is all mangled up!!!!... I know there's got to be a fix for this... what could it be??? I can't give up getting QE/CI enabled... It must be done!!! Let me know if you figure something out...

Docksteader

Means you can load ATIRadeon9700.kext but when it loads ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle, the screen become unusable. You can remove that bundle, but you won't get QE/CI/GL. :blink:

I had that garbling while trying to get my card recognize as agp. With AppleI386PCI loaded, I have to remove that GL bundle too.

Yeah.. I don't think that works... when I remove the ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle I get the exact same thing as before... mangled up screen on boot. I don't think that it's that bundle file that's causing the problem or at least it doesn't seem to be that file. If anyone has any input.. let us know!!!

Docksteader

Ok managed to get it working on ATI RADEON X700 SE (comes from a Fujistu Siemens Scaleo computer) with device id = 0x5E4F

BTW I noticed into the driver that it does check device id but other info (found some other 3D XX YY 00 00 occurences). Oh, if you need any help reverse engineering / disassembling stuff, I (am able to and) would love to help. I'm familiar to that kind of stuff :D.... and those mouse artifacts really annoy me even with mouseposé/icursor.

Ok managed to get it working on ATI RADEON X700 SE (comes from a Fujistu Siemens Scaleo computer) with device id = 0x5E4F

BTW I noticed into the driver that it does check device id but other info (found some other 3D XX YY 00 00 occurences). Oh, if you need any help reverse engineering / disassembling stuff, I (am able to and) would love to help. I'm familiar to that kind of stuff :).... and those mouse artifacts really annoy me even with mouseposé/icursor.

LTronic... what driver are you talking about??? atiradeon9700.kext... cause there are only 2 occurrences of the 3D XX YY 00 00... I've checked multiple times... unless you're talking about another driver...

thanks

Docksteader

Making some progress here. If I edit plist with my device ID (Sapphire X800GTO AGP 554f) but do not edit the ATIRadeon9700 binary I get past the frozen boot screen to a working mouse and garbled graphics.

If I get rid of ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin following Black Knight's post then I get a working display without core image and quartz extreme. However, ATIRadeon9700 extension is properly loaded.

The ATIRadeon9700GA binary does not seem to have the magic 3D XX YY 00 00 sequence in it. Stuck at this point although the source of the problem seems to be identified.

Making some progress here. If I edit plist with my device ID (Sapphire X800GTO AGP 554f) but do not edit the ATIRadeon9700 binary I get past the frozen boot screen to a working mouse and garbled graphics.

If I get rid of ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin following Black Knight's post then I get a working display without core image and quartz extreme. However, ATIRadeon9700 extension is properly loaded.

The ATIRadeon9700GA binary does not seem to have the magic 3D XX YY 00 00 sequence in it. Stuck at this point although the source of the problem seems to be identified.

I did find one other topic that mentioned changing the Device ID in ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin (the ID is reversed from the one in ATIRadeon9700.kext and looks like 0x1002XXXX instead of 0xXXXX1002), though when I tried this, it still didn't work. I really think that this is where the issue is coming from, I'm just not knowledgable enough to figure out what to do with it.

LTronic... what driver are you talking about??? atiradeon9700.kext... cause there are only 2 occurrences of the 3D XX YY 00 00... I've checked multiple times... unless you're talking about another driver...

thanks

Docksteader

There are only two occurences of Device ID checks but the driver code makes many different checks for other IDs. I will give a try to a disassembly of the driver when back at home.

Not related to this thread, but has anyone any hints or tracks to follow about mouse artifacts ? I mean, which driver file should we disasm and look at ? I heard it was related to the mouse cursor not being accelerated or so, I would love more technical info about that since I'm willing to help.

i got an working 5d52 x850xt pci-e shapphire there :) now i need to fix the mouse artifacts

How did you get it to work? What versions of the 9700 kext and plugins were you using? What values did you change in HexEdit or did you use Koverg's patch?

Yes do tell.... :idea:

I have an ATI X850XT PE AGP card " x04B4C" I would love to get running,

and I am :idea: how to get it working.

edit

as Black Knight pointed out 0x4B4C

That's what I have been using in trying to get my X850XT PE to work

Thanks Black Knight

I installed 10.4.5 with MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL_AMD_SSE3_SSE2).iso

I followed the readme of koverg patch :

sudo ./patch9700.sh 5d 52

and remplaced the Info.plist of Ati drivers

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x4E441002 0x41441002 0x4E481002 0x41481002 0x41501002 0x4E501002 0x41521002 0x4E541002 0x4A481002 0x4A491002 0x4A4A1002 0x4A4B1002 0x4A4C1002 0x4A4D1002 0x4A4E1002 *0x5D521002* 0x5B621002 0x3E501002 0x4E561002 0x5B641002 0x3E541002</string>

(Remove the * of course)

I did the kextcache commands, rebooted and enjoyed front row and covertunes

Maybe AGP cards aren't fully supported

I'm guessing you mean 0x4B4C, right?

ah yes you are correct ... I typed it in wrong,

but yes that's it 0x4B4C

Dream_Team wrote

I installed 10.4.5 with MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL_AMD_SSE3_SSE2).iso

I used this same iso :D

I followed the readme of koverg patch : sudo ./patch9700.sh 5d 52

I followed the same but,

sudo ./patch9700.sh 4b 4c

and replaced the info.plist also with 0x4B4C1002

Maybe AGP cards aren't fully supported

You could be right :thumbsdown_anim::graduated: