X700 and other PCIE ATI Radeon finally work

koverg

923 posts in this topic

Hi Koverg an others,

i really tried to get my dell 9300 notebook running. it has a x300 mobility (5460 id) inside. i downloaded the koverg-patch9700-v0.2 and opened it. i opened the readme file but i didn't exactly understand the steps how to patch. could anyone PLEASE :D tell me how to patch the 9700.kext so that i get my ati x300 running. the readme says, i have to extract the archive. but where? then i tried the commands: sudo ./patch9700.sh HI LO (where HI is the high byte in hex of your device id and LO is the low byte, e.g.: ./patch9700.sh 5e 4b if your device id is 0x5e4b)

and replaced HI with 54 and LO with 60 because of my 5460 ID of the card. Was that correct?

Next i tried this: manually edit the /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Content/MacOS/Info.plist.

but there is only a info.plist in the ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents and not in the Macos folder. There is only the file:ATIRadeon9700

BTW: i'm running 10.4.5

so i changed the way it is said in the readme: manually edit the /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Content/MacOS/Info.plist. Replace 5B60 with your device id

and saved it. but i opened in the text editor. Was that wrong because after saving the ati9700kext lost its bundle symbol and it was shown as a textdocoment???

The next steps were very confusing because the commands Ctrl + O to save the changes AND Ctrl + X to Exit

weren't accepted: Command not found.

That's it. So it doesn't work for me but i am really new toi this stuff. Sorry bothering you with this but i'd so like to see it running. PLEEEEEEEASE help me!!!!!

:D

:)

FOLKA

u need to do kextcache -k /System/Library/Extenstions/

after that...

Must be patient, read the instructions carefully. one week ago, i was in ur situation, but quickly with the help of this forum, i got my mactel up~ x300/sigmatel sound/intel pro100/.... all working fine~~

But anyway, u got to stick to this for driver updates.

BTW, my x300 is working at 1280x1024x32 now but the system profiler recognizes the card as just a VESA 32MB PCI, but with QE/CI/OpenGL supported... ANYONE has any idea?

i did that but steps before the terminal says "´command not found" as i wrote. so i think i did something wrong. maybe somebody can describe me exactly and a bit more detailled what to do and what i have to write in the terminal. btw i don't know what the purpose of the file "binmay" in koverg's patch is. You see, i am really a newbee but i try to learn.

Thanx

FOLKA

Btw: i altered my resolution by adding : <key>Graphics Mode</key><string>1900x1200x32@66</string> in com.apple.Boot.plist.

my resolution is now 1600x1200. notexactly what i wanted but better than 1024x768. widescreen isn't working yet. maybee somebody has an idea.

help!!!

looked at every post on this thread...

i have an HP zd8000 w/ an ATI mobility radeon x600 pcie...applied the koverg patch (v0.2) and everything ran perfectly...when i restart, nothing has changed. literally, nothing...there's no kext loaded, QE and CI are still not supported, and everything looks exactly the same. any ideas?

I would appreciate a PM as well - as I mentioned in OS INstall....I have a ATIX600 radeon card, read on HCL that it's supported with patch but only at 1024x768, was wondering if this list is out of date!? And that with newer patches I can get my supported 1200x800, that would be DOPE! :D

Tecra A4, Toshiba, 1.5GB, Centrino 1.6, SoundMax, X600 Radeon INTEL 915 chipset, Intel Wireless, TI Firewire...

thanks!

i tried again. no chance. everytime i enter: sudo ./patch9700.sh 54 60 in the terminal, it says:command not found. where exactly do i have to extract the koverg-patch9700-v0.2.2 folder to???

i think terminal doesn't find the patch9700.sh file so i have to know where to put it.

Thanx

now i wrote the exact path into the terminal and it showed me, that 2 matches are found. i followed the other steps an rebooted.

Surprise!!!! now i have QE and CI but my the audio doesn't work anymore. before i patched the ati card it worked. :)

what do i have to do?

Is there any solution to get my wiedscreen running? it ist still streched.

Hi to all

I have Asus Extreme AX550 128 M - PCIE16x

(on MB Asus, P4 3Ghz, 1G RAM, Tiger 10.4.5, Samsung 913v LCD )

This is output from System Profiler:

------------------------------------------------

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5b63

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

------------------------------------------------

I patch with sudo ./patch9700.sh 5b 63:

.......output......

Writing to /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700...

match: 0x0008861f: 3d 60 5b 00 00

match: 0x0008862b: 3d 60 5b 00 00

match: 0x0008cf48: 3d 60 5b 00 00

match: 0x0008cf4f: 3d 60 5b 00 00

Done: 4 matches.

I edit ATIRadeon9700.kext with :

sudo nano -w /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/Info.plist

then ...

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

in com.apple.Boot.plist : 1280x1024x32@75

I try to load ATIRadeon9700.kext and this the output:

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext appears to be valid

13ATIR300Memory is not compatible with its superclass, 8OSObject superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

need help

I rebooted and nothing changed

Output error from logs:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Apr 9 03:51:09 localhost kernel[0]: display: match category IOFramebuffer exists

Apr 9 03:51:09 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Something i did wrong?!

I saw that a saphire x550 works....

(PS : ioreg -b -x -l | grep pci1002,

| | | | | "compatible" = <"pci1043,156","pci1002,5b63","pciclass,0300$

| | | | "compatible" = <"pci1043,157","pci1002,5b73","pciclass,0380$

..)

I cant seem to be getting this to work. I am running a ati x700 pro pci-e with ID 5e4b the same ID as koverg's x700. I followed the steps by http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...indpost&p=79593 and after I reboot I get a (display: family specific matching fails) and i have to reinstall. I just dont know what I am doing wrong hear I need some help with this one. can anyone with the same card fill me in on how to do it. Thanks for all the help

It works finally

After hundred reboots...

I use the kext modification for:

nano /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Configuration.plist

like in this threat http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...pic=10956&st=20

and now I have QExtreme:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5b63

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

And Xbench score goe from 18.5 to 57.61

So big night for me

Thanks to all info from the forum

I thought I'd post my experiences in trying to get this patch to work, and what other avenues I'm exploring to get things going. First, my setup:

-OS X 10.4.5

-Dell XPS Gen 4

-ATI x850 XT Platium Edition PCIe, running off the VGA port (which is the Secondary Display on this card, with Device ID 5d4d and Vendor ID 1002)

-P4 3.4 Ghz HT

-kext modified using koverg patch v0.2

Now, the wierdness. When I first applied the patch, the system hung at 'loading login window'. I rebooted normally, after a hard reset, the Desktop loaded fine, and QE/CI were fully enabled (1600x1200x32). I could play DVDs, and all graphical effects were working. Then I rebooted at some point to no joy. :) I rebooted again and, after the second or third failed attempt, the Desktop loaded again w/QE/CI enabled.

Then I tried running the original Quake which, of course, failed. The game exited to the Desktop, and the mouse pointer was courrupted, which required a reboot. Thereafter, the Desktop would load only in Safe Boot. Even after two OS reinstalls I still can't get the kext to load. Obviously Quake isn't the underlying cause here, and that I'm just overlooking something I did with/to the original install.

Some things I'm looking into to determine if they may be involved:

-I installed a handful of programs, and am thinking one of them is maybe irretreivably corrupting key files' permissions, or overwriting key system files? (FWIW, the programs are MS Office 2004, Stuffit Standard 10, and the latest non-beta versions of Mac Par, Split & Concat, Transmission, Toast 7 Titanium, Cyberduck, Little Snitch, Adium, Camino, Google Earth, iGrabNews, and Hex Edit).

-I locked-down security just about as tightly as you can using just System Preferences. Every user account is PW protected, the firewall is on, there's a master PW, autologin is disabled, et al (to be clear, though, the patch has been applied with an Administrator account, and no errors have been encountered in the Terminal output). This may be the problem right here. If so, it'll be an interesting session of isolating variables to determine what's at fault...

-I'm driving a display on the card's Secondary port (VGA) as the Primary in OS X. It worked before, and so am not sure how this could be implicated; however, I haven't tried patching the kext with the Primary (DVI) Device ID, and will explore that possibility.

-I have a plasma connected to the DVI port and, at some point, physically disconnected the connector from the card. I didn't note whether the DVI was connected when QE and CI were working or not, and so will investigate that as a possibility.

-Maybe a manual modification using Hex Edit will be more successful?

-Finally, and this is a stretch: Maybe Apple is accessing the OS via a backdoor and updating system files, which breaks this patch? Yeah, um... I'll remove the tin foil hat now and take my meds. I'm OK. Really...

An update:

SUCCESS! :-) I deleted my OS X install, booted into a fresh one, ran the koverg patch, and now the Desktop loads reliably and consistently, with CI/QE enabled, at any pre-defined resolution up to, and including, 1900x1200. :-)

So, the problem was some modification to the system that I performed after the initial install, as suspected. I've been really busy and haven't had enough time to "debug" things, but will now explore the possibilities outlined above (that will be either later today, my day off, or this comming Saturday, my next day off :-) ).

Those having trouble getting the patch to work should try applying it immediately after a fresh install (with absolutely no mods whatsoever) - I bet you it will work. Then, apply each change to your install, performing several reboots after each, to ensure the Desktop loads reliably. What? Did you think it was going to be easy? ;-)

If you go ahead with it, report back with results. :-) Cheers!

got it up and running after i deinstalled everything. the last thing i can't get working ist the appropirate solution. It ist still 1600x1200. My Dell Inspiron 9300 is best at 1920x1200. I would really like to know, how you (xVariable) managed to do that.

Thnx

Folka

macmaniaco, i suggest that you look at and stay up to date with http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=14724 . Omni is developing a kext that will soon allow us to have qe, ci and multi res including widescreen. He explains it in more detail if you follow

No, you misunderstood: Omni is developing the framebuffer that lets resolution and refresh changes. Then he links it to current Ati9700.kext to enable QE and CI modifying the plist in Ati9700. In order to get QE you have to modify Ati9700.kext as described in this topic. After he provides the framebuffer we will just have to add some lines to the plist to link both.

Full ATI driver=framebuffer+Ati9700.kext

Ok GigabyteX800XL ViVo works!!!!!!!!!

QE and CI support

But one problem DooM3(Doom 3 1.3 Rev A Patch) don`t start ????

It work fine on GMA900 but when i change with a X800XL not working.

Just to confirm the above.... I don't think given the nature of the temporary fix, we can't expect to have any real compatibility with majority of games, yet. Doom 3 also refuses to run on my x700.

On the GMA900 itself it seems to run fine, although you do need to lower quality to Medium setting, resolution down to 800x600, and turn off most of the eyecandy such as Shadow and Specular.

On other games that fail to open on the x-series, you can first try running it once with GMA900. If it opens, then reboot with the PCIe card and try it again. That's how I got Medal of Honor to work.

"The good guy" WHAT ATI CARD YOU YOU HAVE??? I HAVE A X700PRO WITH ID 0x5e4b AND CANT SEEM TO GET IT TO WORK WHEN I REBOOT IT GIVES ME A DEVICE FAMILY MATCHING FAILS!!! MAN, CAN YOU HELP ME OUT WITH THIS ONE BECAUSE IV RELOADED OSX ABOUT 5 TIMES NOW.......Comeon be the good guy! :police:

This did not work for my ATI x700 Pro 256mb (5E4B) also. It hangs after reboot with the mouse pointer shown but in console mode. Anyone know how I can login in some sort of safemode like Windows so I can repair it without a full reinstall?

Edit: Nevermind.. I found out I can boot up still with -x and fix everything.