The Lunatics Are Running The Asylum!

115 posts in this topic

A new design with the removal of Ads would be nice - that way you could really prove that you're dedicated to the site not it's income.

So they should suffer for your convenience? Should we all pay to use this site? Hosting for such a high-bandwidth site is expensive. Dropping advertising is an acceptable suggestion, provided you have some valid insight how to make up for the cost of running the site.

if you use firefox with Adblock Plus, you dont see the ads at all.

This is offensive. As the webmaster of a high-traffic site myself the idea of "cheating the webmaster out of money" by blocking his only source of income - while still expecting site growth at the same time - is just stupid. Unless you'd like to break out your Visa to help pay for it? At least banner ads make it free for you.

great so more unelected, undemocratic bollocks going on on our great forum.

i dont normally rise to such bait, but this annoys me. since when was this forum EVER democratic? when was anyone EVER 'elected' to anything? the site is run by its owners, for the benefit of whoever wants to hang out here. as my good friend borisbadenov pointed out, anyone who doesnt like the way this site is going is of course free to start their own and run it however they see fit.

i'm disappointed by the overwhelmingly negative response this topic has received so far. what gives? the 'acting like you're 12 / 14 / 36' stuff is just harsh for no good reason and the 'zomg dont you change ANYTHING' is a bit hysterical. the new dudes are merely suggesting a few changes (like the badly-needed search improvements) and some other tweaks.

sheesh.

why does this stuff have to get so heavy all of a sudden? a few changes here and there arent going to hurt anyone, and we all want a site which is better, easier to search and more fun and productive for us all to make use of.

go iTeam!

i dont normally rise to such bait, but this annoys me. since when was this forum EVER democratic? when was anyone EVER 'elected' to anything? the site is run by its owners, for the benefit of whoever wants to hang out here. as my good friend borisbadenov pointed out, anyone who doesnt like the way this site is going is of course free to start their own and run it however they see fit.

Exactly. And that is true of every forum.

Personally what I find bad is when one or more "ordinary" members (or moderators) become arrogant and start abusing others.

That is what happened to the Kanotix forum when the Pro Sid members began to abuse everybody with a different idea.

Eventually the "owner" (Kano), made very clear that he was against Sid and they went all away, thanks God.

I think the negative-ness has come from recent claims of ;) posts and what not, it is a great shame that thigns have gone downhill a tad recently.

hopefully as stated the changes will be for the better good of all

This is brilliant

I give a simple opinion on how i think the current site is stunning and in the back of my head i was thinking "i would like to see them try come up with something better". The reason i thought this, was because i design by trade and love to crit.

and now look its all spiralled out of control. Shame on us. We must of hurt little precious'es feelings.

Its there investment.

(ColdFusion i call you little precious cos you look very young and its scary to be in the hands of a kid)

geez,im sick of this as well, every post the new owners have made, hasa responses from n00bs people who joine this january, saying omg omg no, your a kid and your avatar sucks omg. They are the owners, they own this place, Coldfusion, just go ahead with it, this place had the same argument when we changed from the old osx86project to insanelymac. And too all those little wankers who think they are top {censored}, because they have 200 posts stfu. They are not here to {censored} this site up, they own it so why would they want to kill it. I'm all for change and the new owners.

Change is good, keeps everything fresh.

I have thought about it for a while though and I'd have to agree with the majority here, perhaps it isn't necessarily a good time for an entire face-lift; the forums are simply gorgeous looking ;)

Insanelymac's skin is, in my opinion, the nicest one out there. Changing it would change the face of the OSX86 project.

The logo... Is just that, Insanelymac's LOGO. Logo's don't change unless the organization's goals change.

Objection is ok, but don't try to flame these guys outta here please. :P

Anyways, site needs redesign, not restyling necessarily. I think the current logo/styling/forum skin are very good as they are. However, some elements [like the news system] are in need of major rework. If anybody would bother to implement Likemind sometime soon, it would be appreciated.

Also, lets see some concepts before we make a decision as to whether change should take place or not. Openmindedness is always a good thing. :)

i dont normally rise to such bait, but this annoys me. since when was this forum EVER democratic? when was anyone EVER 'elected' to anything? the site is run by its owners, for the benefit of whoever wants to hang out here.

knee jerk reaction, my apologies

I like the new ideas...except the redesign and organization idea; the forums is just fine and change would be very drastic and very bad. I also have to say that I am no way in control nor pay for these forums so do as you please, but some people might not like the ideas (as I have seen some of the comments).

Also about the "iTeam" idea, it's...well...I'll let other people have their opinions on that lol.

I second that.

there is nothing wrong with the forums as they are, apart from the ridiculus lack of developers.

rofl, thank swad.... and emm.... well, the sites fine.... but change is nice too :hysterical:

Hello precious little puddings. Are you about 12? anyway dont change the logo and website design. Im used to the way it is and thinks the current site looks -->simply<--(keyword) Stunning.

Hello i am having the same thoughts.

I am pro web designer. And i will tel you that: When you have something with that quality its very hard to move up to better (and not to ruin it).

Dont mess with design. Try a new logo (may be). But think for users first, listen to them.

This site needs Improvements in functionality not Redesign.

Dont push away your users, lots of them dont like the idea of selling them for profit.

BE CAREFUL/ the priceless adsense wil decrease significantly if you make mistake.

Good luck.

EDIT: I should probably pay attention to the fact that a topic has 3 pages before I quote stuff from the first page.

ANYWAY...

Here's a thought. Create only one page on this site as a test and make a poll to see how many like it or not and decide from there. I personally like the way this site is set up and am very comfortable with it. Please don't do anything too drastic. Remember, less is more! :D

I agree completely with this statement. If it were me, I'd make kind of a test/sandbox forum in which to try new themes and such, and to get public opinion on the change.

The SMF forums have a nice clean look about them, 'easy on ya eye's' well i fink anyways :P

e.g

http://www.superbikeforums.co.uk/

not saying there's anything wrong with the current layout, just what i'm used to.

SMF is nice, but I only use it because it's free. If IPB became open-source (which ain't gonna happen), I'd switch in a second.

I'm not saying that we can't do better, but it is very difficult to come up with a better design for this forum. You can change the front page by itself, but just make sure it blends with the forum. I'm an artist and part of my work is designing, and this IPB skin is very well done. Its probably the best skin out there in my opinion. Besides, it feels like we just switched from OSx86project.org to InsanelyMac.com not to long ago.

But if you do change the look, please make the Insanely Beautiful IPB skin public so I can make use of it. :D

i'm disappointed by the overwhelmingly negative response this topic has received so far. what gives? the 'acting like you're 12 / 14 / 36' stuff is just harsh for no good reason and the 'zomg dont you change ANYTHING' is a bit hysterical. the new dudes are merely suggesting a few changes (like the badly-needed search improvements) and some other tweaks.

sheesh.

why does this stuff have to get so heavy all of a sudden? a few changes here and there arent going to hurt anyone, and we all want a site which is better, easier to search and more fun and productive for us all to make use of.

go iTeam!

As a forum moderator, i think your duty is to MODERATE, not to tell people how to think or how to write. People expressed their points of view in different ways, some ones like me prefer the educated way, while others prefer a more rude way.

If you are pissed about the negative response to the thread, this is a personal problem of yours, and you should not try to persuade people to "think different", that's dirty and totally un-professional (and doesnt works usually).

You say that "we all want a site wich is better", sure, but who can tell what is actually better or worse ?. Maybe what is better for you is sh*t for others, and vice-versa.

In other words, if you dont like the negative posts in this thread, its ok, but dont come here to tell people how to think. Everybody haves a brain here and we belive in freedom of speech... right ?

as a moderator, yes, i have certain duties. however, i am also a long-time member of the forum, and am still entitled to air my opinion. i'm not telling people how to think, i'm just exercising *my* freedom of speech, thank you very much.

(ColdFusion i call you little precious cos you look very young and its scary to be in the hands of a kid)
Actually I'm 23, and you're 19. So you can stop doing that now.

OK, seems to be a mix of positive and negative comments, so I'll try to address your main concerns.

"Redesign" - I think some people have interpreted this differently to others, or maybe I used to wrong word. But basically, we have nothing at all drastic planned. Essentially we're talking about tinkering the layout of the homepage, and yes, a new logo. We actually do quite like the design of the site; it's simple and uncluttered and will remain that way after our changes. As for the new logo: I have nothing against the current logo, but my only criticism (and I'm not a designer btw so this is just my general opinion), is that it doesn't really reflect the name of the site. I guess I would call it quite generic.

Changes to Forum - We have absolutely no reason to make any drastic changes to the forum. It's an Invision forum, and just about the only thing we could do without causing a massive headache would be to re-skin it. We won't be deleting any of the existing forums because there's just no need. Someone mentioned that they wanted the Real Life forum removed; I really don't see why, if you don't like it dont go in there? ^_^

We would love to improve the search facility, but please bear in mind that this is not easy because Invision forums are not open source. This means that it might be that some cleaning-up/restructuring helps a lot with making the search process more efficient. And we appreciate the suggestion of encouraging people to search and Google before they post something that's been posted many times before. More positive suggestions like this are welcome ;)

Remove all ads - I have to say I agree with John the Geek's response to this suggestion:

Hosting for such a high-bandwidth site is expensive. Dropping advertising is an acceptable suggestion, provided you have some valid insight how to make up for the cost of running the site.

The current ads are unobtrusive and do not prevent you from doing anything you need to do on this site & forums. Any advertising-related changes we make will be based on the same principle. If we make our ads annoying people would leave, so it's not something we're likely to do!

-CF