The Lunatics Are Running The Asylum!

115 posts in this topic

Sorry but I disagree with you, Diego, a moderator has certain duties, yes, but we are entitle to our opinions too, When I asked to be a moderator they never told me that I can not make post with my opinions.

Of course some people believe if a moderator made an opinion has more "weight" than other's, I do not believe that, and also some believe that a moderator's opinions are the opinions of the "Site" or "Owner" and that is totally wrong.

Recently the staff received insulting private messages and coments in our profiles from a user that is not agree with the sale, I ask why he did that, the Staff does not own the site.

100% agreed macGirl, a post like the one you just did is perfect imho, maybe you should re-read what i wrote to see where i was going with that.

Implying (directly or indirectly) that having a negative opinion about sometihng is not ok, with things like "give it a break" and blah blah blah is what pisses me off.

I never said that you or the others moderators can not express your opinions... did i said that ? Can you quote the part where i did said that ?. No, because i never said or implied that.

What i said was more simple, negative comments are in my opinion, as good as positive ones, so why trying to persuade people to just post when they have something nice to say ?

See what i mean now ?.

I personally dislike the small changes i've seen so far here, im sure i have a lot to see yet and that i cant judge or have a really well founded opinion yet, but i fail to see what is the problem if me, and the other guys that disagreed post their opinions.

That's all.

But your still my little precious okay. precious :D\

Oh precious btw you can get rid of my account which was made on the 12-July 05 and give Member No.: 358 because i only really glance at the news page.

Was fun when all this started and i was on my g4 powerbook and heard rumours of osx86 in the wild on torrents and got scared. I had to see for myself what it was like to run osx86 on a home built pc but dont have that no more so dont really need membership its just more clutter with my name on it on the web. :D

boyblitz for precious forever.

what a key member we just lost. ;) .

I agree when some people say that this site is not the same anymore , but i trust in the new administration and i also think this site is going to be just fine but it will never be as a year ago or so, and i dont mean that as a bad thing,ministration and i also think this site is going to be just fine but it will never be as a year ago or so, and i dont mean that as bad thing because thats the way life is.

:2cents: :2cents: my four cents.

As an example, one of the first changes the new owners applied to the site, was the fact of adding a link at the page bottom, stating "Hosted by Fubra Limited".
I think you're right. Indeed, "Managed by Fubra Limited" (or something similar) would be more appropriate as a link, not "Hosted by...".

It is true that Fubra is now our host, and they probably meant it in that sense that we are on their site; but the usual sense of hosting for a web site/forum is that of webhosting, which is done by theplanet.com.

I have a possible solution for the moderation. I use to come on an other mac forum too and there you get mod points. People give them to you if you made a good post that informative funny or something like that. You can spend those mod points again and also give negative mod points to people that are talking without arguments and are going offtopic or chatting like a chatbox. It works brilliantly. It will clean up the forums of the unnecesary mess. However I dont know if its possible on an invision forum.

edit: owh I forgot to mention that through that mod system you build up a karma.. that gets higher when you receive a lot of positive mod points (blue) and ofcourse becomes red if you are only acting like a fool.

I don't know how much this is do-able, but if you must change things, why not make a mini version of the entire concept, host it somewhere else, and let the users here have a look at it?

The mini version isn't meant to be fully functional, so you can just throw it on some cheap banner driven hoster or whatever :(

People are really starting to walk on their toes here >_>

I have a possible solution for the moderation. I use to come on an other mac forum too and there you get mod points. People give them to you if you made a good post that informative funny or something like that. You can spend those mod points again and also give negative mod points to people that are talking without arguments and are going offtopic or chatting like a chatbox. It works brilliantly. It will clean up the forums of the unnecesary mess. However I dont know if its possible on an invision forum.

edit: owh I forgot to mention that through that mod system you build up a karma.. that gets higher when you receive a lot of positive mod points (blue) and ofcourse becomes red if you are only acting like a fool.

I am against such a system. Something very similar has been done at OSNews. All it does is putting users against one another and in the end many people stop posting altogether. Besides it is not the best posts which get modded up, but the most poular.

It ends up by becoming "a dictatorship by the majority"

so its ok to post your opinion. and you agree mods can post *their* opinions. ok, so my opinion is that this thread is getting too negative. :)

Well, this post looks a lot more better than your first one, and certainly, i could not say anything against it, so im really happy, because in a way, i feel like i helped a mod here to improve a little. :o

To explain this even further, you took my first post as an agression against you, now after rethinking a little, i think you noticed that it wasnt against you, but against the way you wrote, so now you come and you write this perfectly good one. If i or the rest of the people agrees or not is not our problem, but you are not persuading people anymore to stop posting, so that's great and the result of people posting (in favor or not) can only be good.

back on thread topic, I don't think the site needs much doing to it. maybe a few more options of how it looks would be nice, even though insanely beautiful 1.5 is more or less lives up to its description. logo doesn't need changing, its pretty swish already.

Hey everyone. Just got back from a trip and thought I'd weigh in:

rofl, thank swad....
Yeah, the reason that a one or two of the "devs" have left is not because of anything I've done - if anything it was because of conflicts with two other staff members that started well over two months ago. And besides, a quick look through the X Labs shows that the vast majority of people doing OSx86 work still hang out here.

On the topic of changes: the reason that I chose the Fubra guys over other prospective buyers was, like I said at the time, that the only changes they want to make are improvements. Although Jim's first post might not have made that clear (his second post in this thread did), I can assure you that the things they're talking about are not the drastic changes you're worried about - we're talking things like tightening up overlapping forums (things that we've always done in the past), giving the site's theme a refresh while keeping the main elements of the design (another tradition here) and working to improve the news page (yet another of our previous goals).

I can understand how easy it is to be worried about anyone new doing anything different. But these guys know how to run a community and I've talked with them at great length about the things they want to improve here... and the things they'll keep the same. Give them a chance before you make any judgments - I know you'll be impressed.

As to those who think the site "doesn't feel the same," I can understand that feeling, but I think that once you step back from the very public changes over the past couple of months, you'll see the site is pretty much exactly the same as it was before. The only things that have really changed are a few staff changes and a move to professional hosting via the Fubra team. And things are slow on the OSx86 front because things are fairly slow with OS X itself - when Leopard comes around expect things to pick up big time.

In the mean time, let's all give the Fubra guys the chance they deserve.

The only things that have really changed are a few staff changes and a move to professional hosting via the Fubra team.

Hi Mash :D

Sorry to post this here, but since i commented in a negative way about the hosting issue, and with your post you are totally negating what i just said, let me post something here:

[root@plusmediaserver ~]# traceroute insanelymac.com
traceroute to insanelymac.com (70.87.73.18), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1  208.116.30.42 (208.116.30.42)  0.096 ms  0.042 ms  0.034 ms
2  65.98.0.77 (65.98.0.77)  0.570 ms  0.481 ms  0.486 ms
3  208.116.63.228 (208.116.63.228)  0.374 ms  0.354 ms  0.244 ms
4  208.116.63.206 (208.116.63.206)  0.613 ms  0.733 ms  0.488 ms
5  ge3-23.ar1.ewr1.us.nlayer.net (69.31.95.85)  0.871 ms  1.117 ms  0.617 ms
6  tge1-1.ar1.nyc3.us.nlayer.net (69.31.95.158)  0.856 ms  0.892 ms  0.999 ms
7  ny-iix.above.net (198.32.160.22)  1.095 ms  1.031 ms  1.114 ms
8  so-1-0-0.mpr2.lga3.us.above.net (64.125.29.250)  0.992 ms  0.973 ms  0.993 ms
9  so-0-3-0.mpr2.lga5.us.above.net (64.125.30.21)  0.995 ms  8.720 ms  0.865 ms
10  so-1-0-0.mpr2.iad1.us.above.net (64.125.28.65)  6.239 ms  6.101 ms  6.114 ms
11  so-6-0-0.cr2.dca2.us.above.net (64.125.27.210)  16.237 ms  6.344 ms  6.364 ms
12  so-6-0-0.cr2.dfw2.us.above.net (64.125.28.70)  35.097 ms  35.093 ms  35.561 ms
13  216.200.6.237.theplanet.com (216.200.6.237)  40.840 ms  40.814 ms  40.837 ms
14  te7-1.dsr01.dllstx3.theplanet.com (70.87.253.2)  40.973 ms  40.827 ms te9-1.dsr02.dllstx3.theplanet.com (70.87.253.22)  40.849 ms
15  vl42.dsr02.dllstx4.theplanet.com (70.85.127.91)  41.086 ms  41.078 ms  41.665 ms
16  gi1-0-1.car17.dllstx4.theplanet.com (67.18.116.69)  41.143 ms  41.280 ms  41.211 ms
17  12.49.5746.static.theplanet.com (70.87.73.18)  41.221 ms  41.076 ms  41.090 ms

Doesn't looks to me like professional hosting by fubra... looks more like a theplanet.com server....

The only thing this kind of system will encourage is gang-styled activity. All it would take is a few posters (say ten) ganging up on someone with a lot of posts (say over 1300 like me). Then, this gang would take each and every post of mine and place a negative mod point on all of them. With 1,300 bad points, there would be no choice but to ban me, right?

We need moderators here, not gang wars.

I feel that it is finally time to clock in over here.

I am a little disapointed about the selling of InsanelyMac. It would really not have bothered me if it didn't feel like it were no longer a "community". Now the site seems more like a commodity, a means to an end and while nothing may change in the big scheme of things, I still feel a little less willing to give it my all.

I mean, I do not have a problem with staying up late nights analyzing leopard builds, dotReleases and the like, however the whole idea of going out of my way to give an exclusive or provide inside access before anyone else just seems so, eh, with the idea that someone, somewhere is treating my effort as a potential profit and revenue stream.

I know that is just how the world works, and there will always be someone, somewhere that will make money off of the backs of others, however this whole thing seems like selling out on the community.

Not that I plan on changing my posting habits or not providing access to the latest and greatest any more, I just needed a place to vent about everything.

~Adrian

DiegoMax: Just to be 100% clear, I never meant to imply that anyone should stop posting - thats the last thing I want.

(Apart from spammers, they can burn in hell!)

we are here for only one thing, that is to get os x on unsupported machines ...

Actually this mentality bothers me. This site was founded as a means to do just that, but has grown to much more than that. I've never had any interest in running OS X on anything but my Macs. I'm here because the other geeks are. And it's nice to talk with people who actually know things. I've actually been told be some members to "go away" because I had no interest in hacking OS X.

and to do and learn stuff that we don't know.

Well, at least we agree there.

all I can say is : by the looks of this place, is goin down the tubes, and fast.

sure was fun while it was fun, now its just a big dramatic bitchfest.

sure hope you can do something about it.

Swad sold us out :D

I don't know if I'd say that. This site has value because of what it has become. I think what many people are worried about is that if they change too much of what this site really is then it loses that value we all see in it.

Thats true and its on its way, but i wouldn't have sold the site for anything

You would have if you were convinced that selling it was the best thing for its survival. The Fubra guys have more time and more resources to do the things that I had only dreamed about. Hardly a "sell out."

all I can say is : by the looks of this place, is goin down the tubes, and fast.
I'm not really sure why you'd think this. We've had two news posters leave since the announcement of the sale, and several members have mentioned their feelings (positive and negative) about the sale, but things go on much as usual and the iTeam is putting things in place to make it even better. Outside of the legitimate concerns that some members have about things, I don't see the site going down at all. Trust me, I'll do anything and everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen... :thumbsdown_anim:

I'm not really sure why you'd think this. We've had two news posters leave since the announcement of the sale, and several members have mentioned their feelings (positive and negative) about the sale, but things go on much as usual and the iTeam is putting things in place to make it even better. Outside of the legitimate concerns that some members have about things, I don't see the site going down at all. Trust me, I'll do anything and everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen... :thumbsdown_anim:

well hopefully so.

i just come back to IMac once and a while to check up on the dramadey that it has become. (its really funny, i should write up a script)

nothing has changed. its just plain no fun to be here anymore.

thats all im saying about that.

its just plain no fun to be here anymore.
Lol - well I certainly don't feel that way and I'm sorry you do. We're still having a lot of fun. And besides... if something's not fun, it up to us to make it so. If there's something you want to see changed, then change it (or tell us so that we can)! :thumbsdown_anim: