The Lunatics Are Running The Asylum!

115 posts in this topic

ColdFusion, your last post made me happy again. Now i have full faith you will take well care of this site!

I thoudt you were going to change the site really drastically. Most mac users like simple and useful!

As you can see, i do not make a lot of posts, but i do visit the site regular. It is a source of info for me.

There is also no need for posting for me because i can already find all my answers.

Please keep up this great site and make it even better!

(My english is quit bad, main reason why i do not post a lot)

As for the new logo: I have nothing against the current logo, but my only criticism (and I'm not a designer btw so this is just my general opinion), is that it doesn't really reflect the name of the site. I guess I would call it quite generic.

It's the Command Key. (AKA the Apple Key) Once upon a time (early 80s?) Apple just had an Apple key. When companies wanted to make 3rd-party keyboards for Macs, Apple did not like the idea of them placing the Apple Corporate logo on any product not made by Apple. So the Command key was used to allow 3rd-party vendors to do what they do, while not giving out access to the Apple Corporate Logo.

Since this site is philosophically taking on the challenge of Apple, while not trying to go over the legal line, it's strikingly ironic to use the Command key. That's how I always viewed it, at least.

Hey DiegoMax, give Munky a break. And for that matter, give the new owners a break. Until you know their intentions AND see them, then be quite. All Munky was saying is that we need to give the new owners a chance.

Yes, this is a community environment. Yes, we all take part in what is happening here but it is still the PROPERTY of someone else; we are guests here and we should all act that way. All Munky was trying to do is remind us all of that.

We all need to have an open mind here, to allow people to have a right to their free expression and as new owners as they have a right to have THEIR site reflect THEIR expressions anyone who does not like the unseen changes have a right to start their own site and run and manage it how they wish. The new owners and Munky have a right to their freedom of speech as well. Just remember having the right to free speech does not mean it is right to just mouth off.

As I said before, I wish the new owners great success here. I will await their changes and make my comments AFTER I see them, not before. I believe in constructive criticism, not not rude and ignorant whining. If you, or anyone else does not like the fact that this is not your little sandbox, then feel free to start your own site, run it your way, impose your right of free speech. If you are successful, great and if too many people leave this site for yours then the new owners here will have something to think about. But this is their site. I wish them well and look forward to seeing what will happen.That is what real freedom of speech is.

Wow, i never even tied the logo to the command key :D

Hey Kiko, now I do not feel so bad. It only hit me the other day too.

Re-skining is a drasticaly change. In fact changing CSS only, can make a lot.

Make mokups and post here for vote.

If your designer team skills are equal to THIS AWFUL IMAGE that you post- BRBRBRRRRRR:))

And yes for me "you are a little p." i am only 35.

This isn't a knock against the new owners, but I'm not sure why I come here anymore?

I used to come here for updates on the OsX86 project, that is, getting OsX to run on my x86, better and better. Even when the updates did not apply to me, it was exciting to see the progress.

Now this is just another Mac-News site, although a nice looking one :thumbsup_anim:

As a side note, I can't help but feel a little "duped" at being a donator, now that I know the previous owners made $75000 selling it and made (the new owners stand to make) over ~$100 a day on advertising.

I didn't donate a lot, but I thought any little bit would help. The donator tag makes me look like a mark.

To the "I-team": Don't mess with the look, the search, blah blah blah... come up with a mission statement you intend on following, and let that determine your membership...

If you are going to be the best Mac-News site out there, say it out loud.

Cheers

PLEASE CLEAN UP & COMPRESS THIS THREAD. IT'S BECOMING BLOATED LIKE THE REST.

I think 'OSx86 Installation' needs needs a serious re-do. It's the section that keeps the site going and it's a mess. You can never find what your looking for because it's not easy. We should have more stickies for tutorials and things that are helpful (like a 10.4.9 hackintosh guide). And if the sticky gets old after a few month, we remove it. We're already kinda doing this but you can find loads more topics which are really helpful which should also be stickied. A similar things applies to "Tutorials (The Genius Bar)" section.

We need more mods, the forum is understaffed as it is, at least 10 mods, 15 ideal, that way all the work is spread across, and the forum can stay cleaner, also, for mod material no new joiners, only people who have been around on this site for a reasonably long time, and have contributed to the site. The installation thread needs cleaning, and with more mods, it will be easier to do that. Also the mods should be assigned, but not limited to, certain areas of the site.

It seems like you need more news team as well, as some are resigning

We need more mods, the forum is understaffed as it is, at least 10 mods, 15 ideal, that way all the work is spread across, and the forum can stay cleaner, also, for mod material no new joiners, only people who have been around on this site for a reasonably long time, and have contributed to the site. The installation thread needs cleaning, and with more mods, it will be easier to do that. Also the mods should be assigned, but not limited to, certain areas of the site.

It seems like you need more news team as well, as some are resigning

Couldn't agree more. That would be a brilliant idea to take on.

:star_smile: This place just doesn't feel the same anymore... thats all I got to say :pirate2:

I'm feeling what your saying :P

It's the Command Key. (AKA the Apple Key) Once upon a time (early 80s?) Apple just had an Apple key. When companies wanted to make 3rd-party keyboards for Macs, Apple did not like the idea of them placing the Apple Corporate logo on any product not made by Apple. So the Command key was used to allow 3rd-party vendors to do what they do, while not giving out access to the Apple Corporate Logo.

Since this site is philosophically taking on the challenge of Apple, while not trying to go over the legal line, it's strikingly ironic to use the Command key. That's how I always viewed it, at least.

Greetings,

Actually the Command Key was put in place when menu layouts were first be created for the Macintosh, originally ALL the menu options had the Apple Logo in them, and Steve Jobs (Yes it was him) thought there were to many and took away emphasis on the corporate logo, he went to their sprite/bitmap designer and she had a new one created over night (I cannot remember her name).

Regards,

{censored}-X

I'm feeling what your saying -_-

It's like a neighborhood bar...when all the regulars stop coming in, you look around and say to yourself... what the hell am I still hanging around here for :)

Greetings,

Actually the Command Key was put in place when menu layouts were first be created for the Macintosh, originally ALL the menu options had the Apple Logo in them, and Steve Jobs (Yes it was him) thought there were to many and took away emphasis on the corporate logo, he went to their sprite/bitmap designer and she had a new one created over night (I cannot remember her name).

Regards,

{censored}-X

Which Wiki was that, I'd like to go change it to match what I've heard. </joke> =)

The truth is it's all apocryphal information really and we may never know what really caused the change. I hadn't heard your rendition before, but I certainly wouldn't doubt it either.

=)

-John

Actually I'm 23, and you're 19. So you can stop doing that now.

But your still my little precious okay. precious :)\

Oh precious btw you can get rid of my account which was made on the 12-July 05 and give Member No.: 358 because i only really glance at the news page.

Was fun when all this started and i was on my g4 powerbook and heard rumours of osx86 in the wild on torrents and got scared. I had to see for myself what it was like to run osx86 on a home built pc but dont have that no more so dont really need membership its just more clutter with my name on it on the web. -_-

boyblitz for precious forever.

It's like a neighborhood bar...when all the regulars stop coming in, you look around and say to yourself... what the hell am I still hanging around here for :unsure:

I completely understand what you're saying, joe75. But change does happen. Nothing, in a community like this, stays constant. We can only hope that change is for the better.

However, not all of 'the regulars' have gone - I'm still here! :P

It's like a neighborhood bar...when all the regulars stop coming in, you look around and say to yourself... what the hell am I still hanging around here for :unsure:

I must confess that I am also having all sort of doubts right now.

Many of the most knowledgeable users (devs, administrators...) have gone, and as it has already been said, without devs this place will be just another Mac site were you go for a chat.

Besides after using hacked versions of OS X for a year, I am beginning to wonder: one can't use hacks forever, it is either buying a Mac or going back to whatever OS you were using before (Linux in my case)

Apple isn't encouraging people like us (geeks) to buy a Mac. The only one I like is the Mac Pro which, configured like the PC I have now, except for the cpus (I have "only" a core 2 duo E600), would cost around $4000.

On the other hand Linux is a lot easier to install and configure on a PC than OS X hacked.

Besides I find that OS X could learn quite a bit from KDE when it comes to usability.

I like the new owners, but I am of the opinion they should keep a low, reassuring profile for now.

Just my 2 cents.

Many of the most knowledgeable users (devs, administrators...) have gone, and as it has already been said, without devs this place will be just another Mac site were you go for a chat.

I agree, the days of an interesting breakthrough or hacks being posted here seem long gone. We all know where to go to get the latest news, not sure how much longer I can keep checking this site to see "I can't boot', 'Where do I download xxx.iso', 'Is my hardware compatible?'

Hardly cutting edge stuff...

Which Wiki was that, I'd like to go change it to match what I've heard. </joke> =)

The truth is it's all apocryphal information really and we may never know what really caused the change. I hadn't heard your rendition before, but I certainly wouldn't doubt it either.

=)

-John

Greetings,

My Source was from Revolution In The Valley: The Insanely Great Story of How The Mac Was Mady By Andy Hertzfeld (Member of the Macintosh Development Team, One of the Original Apple Staff). It is actually a really GREAT book, colorfull and includes some of Steve (Jobs and Woz's) original paperwork/proof designs of the interface etc. A must read if you have the money.

Regards,

{censored}-X

Hey DiegoMax, give Munky a break. And for that matter, give the new owners a break. Until you know their intentions AND see them, then be quite. All Munky was saying is that we need to give the new owners a chance.

Yes, this is a community environment. Yes, we all take part in what is happening here but it is still the PROPERTY of someone else; we are guests here and we should all act that way. All Munky was trying to do is remind us all of that.

We all need to have an open mind here, to allow people to have a right to their free expression and as new owners as they have a right to have THEIR site reflect THEIR expressions anyone who does not like the unseen changes have a right to start their own site and run and manage it how they wish. The new owners and Munky have a right to their freedom of speech as well. Just remember having the right to free speech does not mean it is right to just mouth off.

As I said before, I wish the new owners great success here. I will await their changes and make my comments AFTER I see them, not before. I believe in constructive criticism, not not rude and ignorant whining. If you, or anyone else does not like the fact that this is not your little sandbox, then feel free to start your own site, run it your way, impose your right of free speech. If you are successful, great and if too many people leave this site for yours then the new owners here will have something to think about. But this is their site. I wish them well and look forward to seeing what will happen.That is what real freedom of speech is.

Hey Kiko, now I do not feel so bad. It only hit me the other day too.

Don't even try to change the meaning of what i said.

I don't have any problem with Munky or with the new owners, i don't even know them, and as a matter of fact, i don't think i have a problem with any of the new or old Staff (with some rare exceptions).

What i say is simple, every time a post coming from staff receives bad criticism, like this one, some moderators and usually other individuals come to say "give it a break", or "how much pissed they are" about the negative response.

Why not just accept the negative response as part of the game ?

As an example, one of the first changes the new owners applied to the site, was the fact of adding a link at the page bottom, stating "Hosted by Fubra Limited". That is perfectly OK, if it were TRUE, but sadly, the site is still hosted at theplanet.com, so that means to me that they just wanted to have a link in the page bottom, giving them false credit for structure they don't have.

So, after realizing of things like that, im worried, because maybe some people fails to notice that this is the LAST osx86 resource out there, and I, as a user, and as somebody involved in lots of ways on the community, im worried.

What can i expect from people including false links to structure that doesnt exists just because of linking purposes, or what can i expect from people calling themselves the "iTeam" ?

To me, it is ok, they could make the site Pink if they want to, there is nothing i can do about it. But i will post here my opinion if i think i need to post it, no matter if a moderator comes pissed off or if you think that i should give them a break.

And why i say this on this thread ?

Because no matter how much i could disagree with Mash and lots of things he did, but he used to manage the site in a pretty professional way, and that is something that I'm missing now.

I hope that my point of view is clear now, and that both you and munky realize that this is not something against you or him or the new owners, it is simply my own opinion on the matter, no less, no more.

I didnt read through the whole thing because it was getting out of hand to fast.

Anyway here is what i think should happen, We should really have a well structured home page so that anyone searching the web can happen upon it and instantly get hitched. The more new people the more the Mac community will grow which is a very good thing for everyone. I understand that there will be a lot of noob postings about dumb things they should have searched for but this happends everywhere, even in a damn grocery store.

At the moment we have osx86project.org which just gives two choices about take this pill or that pill and stuff about a wiki and forum. Then there is insanelymac.org that give news feeds and the option to click on the forum link to try and figure out whats going on. The point im making is that neither home made give a quick concise idea of what this is all about and that almost anyone can do it! make it attractive, easy to find and we will grab more people.

As a forum moderator, i think your duty is to MODERATE, not to tell people how to think or how to write. People expressed their points of view in different ways, some ones like me prefer the educated way, while others prefer a more rude way.

If you are pissed about the negative response to the thread, this is a personal problem of yours, and you should not try to persuade people to "think different", that's dirty and totally un-professional (and doesnt works usually).

You say that "we all want a site wich is better", sure, but who can tell what is actually better or worse ?. Maybe what is better for you is sh*t for others, and vice-versa.

In other words, if you dont like the negative posts in this thread, its ok, but dont come here to tell people how to think. Everybody haves a brain here and we belive in freedom of speech... right ?

Sorry but I disagree with you, Diego, a moderator has certain duties, yes, but we are entitle to our opinions too, When I asked to be a moderator they never told me that I can not make post with my opinions.

Of course some people believe if a moderator made an opinion has more "weight" than other's, I do not believe that, and also some believe that a moderator's opinions are the opinions of the "Site" or "Owner" and that is totally wrong.

Recently the staff received insulting private messages and coments in our profiles from a user that is not agree with the sale, I ask why he did that, the Staff does not own the site.

InlyMac here, h@ckint0sh there, and other sites/blogs: this is the Internet, no individual place needs to be all-encompassing. I think it's great.

The only negative from this situation could be less revenues from being the hub it could have been, or is, or will still be, but that's not the problem of enthusiasts who surf from here to there: that's what we have bookmarks for.

It IS sad to see well-known and loved users leave here, not because they won't post -- since we can read their cogitations and musings elsewhere on other forums and/or their personal blogs -- but rather because their leaving is caused by some bitter conflicts (some more than others, I know no more than what was made public, and I pass no judgments on any side).

But all in all there's no reason that complementary sources of informations can coexist, and InlyMac is still one important one and can stay that way. I just hope there won't be cross-bashing, and that the community (if we can call it that) won't have to chose sides.

InlyMac here, h@ckint0sh there, and other sites/blogs: this is the Internet, no individual place needs to be all-encompassing. I think it's great.

The only negative from this situation could be less revenues from being the hub it could have been, or is, or will still be...

And don't you think that is bad enough? I am talking about this site, not the world wide web.

Once people realize they don't find here the info they are looking for, they start going to other forums, until they become regular there, which means serious loss of revenue for this site, and we don't know where that could end. And actually I believe it is already happening.

Put on top of that that we don't know if installing OS X on your PC was a fashion which is beginning to fade away.

I have already seen 2 sites I loved very much disappear, and 2 more become irrelevant.

OK, that is life, but don't tell me that it doesn't hurt.

If it really hurts, it means you attached yourself too much to this place. I don't do that ... anymore.

If it's not here, it'll be elsewhere, strongly centralized in a single site/forum, or totally dispersed in many blogs/forums.

People should go elsewhere to get information. It's a good thing that the developers and other contributors have their personal blogs where we can get more information and news about their projects and/or tutorials. InsanelyMac should even have direct links to the newer one in the future (or at least in the OSX86 Wiki). When it will be considered a loss of revenue to redirect people to other resources, and therefore proscribed, then I'd think that would be the time to move on -- but I don't think we're at this point right now.

Will hackintosh become a fad? Maybe, don't know, I wasn't there at its beginning, and possibly won't be there at its end. If it stopped right here, I wouldn't cry, I would have gotten what I wanted out of it: it's just a tool after all (sorry if that statement hurts some).

I still come here, reading about advice, sometimes giving some myself. The only bitter taste I feel is the atmosphere of conflict, of a family feuding. I'd wish that would soon end, even if the resources are more dispersed (as it should be, imho).

If it really hurts, it means you attached yourself too much to this place. I don't do that ... anymore.

Actually when I was saying that it hurts, I had more in mind the other forums that I mentioned above (3 Linux forums, one for technology). I was a much more prominent member in some of those forums than I am here.

Here I arrived as a newbie, not from the beginning and I am still "just a user".

If it's not here, it'll be elsewhere, strongly centralized in a single site/forum, or totally dispersed in many blogs/forums.

If everything will be totally dispersed, we might lose the sense of community and thus motivation, both us and the developers.