The Lunatics Are Running The Asylum!

115 posts in this topic

iteam_small.gif

In 2002 a group of juvenile delinquents were sent to a detention centre for a crime they didn't commit. These boys promptly escaped from the medium security rehabilitation facility to the relative comfort of their parents' suburban Hampshire homes. Today, still wanted by their parole officers, they survive as Mac-fanatical website designers and administrators. If you have a Mac, and you've got design skills, maybe you can join The iTeam.

Today we formally introduce ourselves as the iTeam: There’s Mr G (Ed), Mad Maunders (Paul), Brennibal (Brendan) and Arse (Jim). Our mission statement is simple: We aim to make InsanelyMac more informative & up-to-date, easier to search, and more attractive. We’re committed to the support and development of the existing community and eagerly request your thoughts and suggestions for the future of IMac.

Here are some of the changes we have planned:

• Homepage redesign, including new logo
  • More regular news stories
  • More active and effective Blog section
  • Front page polls on popular topics
  • Reorganisation/restructuring of forum

And here are some of the existing things we plan on keeping:

• Competitions with prizes
  • Rewards for hard work and contribution
  • Collaborative contribution and moderating with existing and future staff

A date & time for an IRC chat sometime next week will appear here soon.

Look out for more info on the iTeam in the ‘About Us’ section in the near future!

-The iTeam

P.S. Big thanks to Rollcage for the inspirational name!

Hello precious little puddings. Are you about 12? anyway dont change the logo and website design. Im used to the way it is and thinks the current site looks -->simply<--(keyword) Stunning.

I agree with the other posters.

The site looks just great, i do really like the simple lay-out. Why changing it?

Forums like these are all about the content, not the lay-out.

Simple is always the most effective!

I do also think most people are used to this,

I'm really happy with my Mac Pro!

The only thing I would like to see changed is the removal of the "real life" forum. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing. There is beauty in simplicity, that's why we like Macs, don't go overcomplicating things.

I'm with the objection crew. Change for the sake of change is bad. Smaller changes over time are more welcomed, especially if they actually benefit the site users. Coming in and changing a lot of stuff will have a very negative effect on the visitors of this site, and will likely push them away. Take a hint from Apple, change sometimes means keeping the same outer case design because it helps people accept the transition.

If you change everything we love about this site. We'll lose interest and leave, and I doubt that's what you were going for.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm with the first comment. What's with the acting like you're 14-year-olds? There are a lot of intelligent and mature people here, let's act like it so people take us seriously.

Design of this site is sweet, at least overall. If you can implement the search functionality that works better.

One idea that just popped into my head, is to force everyone posted less than 10 posts to get directly to the search page and then make a check that they really have searched for the information before posting!

Mega dittos to user2 and Superhai. Exactly my thoughts as well. But, with this in mind, it is their site now. They can do with as they please.

If the changes are for the better, then great, we all benefit. Those who do not like the changes are free to form their own site and if too many people leave, then the new owners will see their faults and correct themselves but til that time, we must give them a chance.

Better SEARCH. And to append Superhai's idea, it would be really cool to send a pop-up window (like when you get a PM) for those with less than 10 or so posts (so-called noobs) with links to the HCL and other important rules. There have been too many "com.apple.Boot.plist NOT FOUND!!!111" and "W1ll this work with OSX86?!?111" threads popping everyday.

Or probably a sticky on "how to search with your popular search engine on a specific site"... Let's just fix the Search function...

Hello precious little puddings. Are you about 12?

What's with the acting like you're 14-year-olds? There are a lot of intelligent and mature people here, let's act like it so people take us seriously.

It's called a laid back attitude, I've always thought it's part of what makes this forum so great. I vote to give the changes a chance. Don't be so quick to bash, they wouldn't be making changes if they didn't think it was for the better.

PS: Glad you liked the name! :)

And here are some of the existing things we plan on keeping:
  • Competitions with prizes
  • Rewards for hard work and contribution
  • Collaborative contribution and moderating with existing and future staff

I would like to see these more intensified. Especially rewarding the hard work of the developers.

Also ideally I wouldn't want a new forum layout. I think the last lot did a great job. But I can see why new owners may want to do this so it's cool.

And I like way laid back approach.

The only thing I would like to see changed is the removal of the "real life" forum.

And why do you want that? The "Real Life" forum is the equivalent of "Everything goes" in many other forums and contributes to creating a sense of community.

True, people (including sometimes myself) waste a lot of time and energy there, but it is *their* time and energy, and reading that section is not compulsory.

If anything must go, that is the "Windows Discussion" forum. It is preposterous that in a Mac forum we must get so much Windows propaganda, very often with personal attacks from MS zealots.

Here's a thought. Create only one page on this site as a test and make a poll to see how many like it or not and decide from there. I personally like the way this site is set up and am very comfortable with it. Please don't do anything too drastic. Remember, less is more! :)

A new design with the removal of Ads would be nice - that way you could really prove that you're dedicated to the site not it's income.

if you use firefox with Adblock Plus, you dont see the ads at all.

also, I think it would be best to have a sample page like the above have mentioned to see if people will like it. Then you can have all the people at the site help with hte new design to improve it even more.

I like the site the way it is, but as long as the change is brought on slowly, we'll hardly notice :whistle:

As far as the windows thread goes, It doesnt need to go. I have posted a few windows/bootcamp qeustions in there and it hasnt beent too bad, although i can agree there are alot of flamewars started there. Same goes for the real life thread. Ive posted numerous times, but only when ive been bored enough to.