The Poll Is On- Which Mac OS X Distribution Would You Choose?

WinLinMac01

Which Mac OS X Distribution Would You Choose?  

1,799 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mac OS X Distribution Would You Choose?

• Zephyroth 10.5.2 Rev.2
    • Kalway Intel/AMD 10.5.2
    • Leo4Allv3 10.5.2 Intel/AMD
    • JaS Intel / Leopard
    • iATKOS / Leopard
    • I like Retail Installs with Patches. =)
    • Neither of them, I'm a chicken.

147 posts in this topic

Kaly on certain specs and Leo on others, both have their pros and cons.

Haven't had a chance on the Jas one, but looking forward to it when it's released, and also to the Leov3.

If I had some spare money lying around (but not enough to buy a "proper mac!") I would prolly go and buy themost mac freindly components and go Retail with patches

Well, first one I was exposed to was Kalyway 10.5.1, which worked very well, almost everything worked right out of the box. But I couldn't update to 10.5.2

Kaly 10.5.2 came out, but the installer wouldn't even boot.

So, I tried Leo4AllV2, which required more tweaking in order to get sound/graphics working, but was installable.

So, I guess it comes down to whatever will actually install on the system.

Well after I installed kalyway, i managed to get my ethernet working without any problems. When i tried it on iAtkos and Leo4All, it gave me kernel panics.Well after I installed kalyway, i managed to get my ethernet working without any problems. When i tried it on iAtkos and Leo4All, it gave me kernel panics.

iATKOS works great for me in consideration to Leopard, but my 10.4.8 Jas Install that I updated to 10.4.11 is so solid and perfect.

Long live Jas, mad respect...

i have kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.2 (photo booth no work, ichat good ) and tohkernel 9.2 on my Mac Medion MD96350, this is the only hack_in_touch worked perfektly in my ALdi machine. leo4allv2 work but no keyboard and no mouse, i think cause to ...ps2nub.kext. the wireless intel pro 3945abg no work for both.

im now trying to install jas 105.2 with crossed finger.

spec:

ICH8 Family

intel core 2 duo 5250

intel GMA X3100

intel wireless 3945abg

Realtek RTL8101E

Audio: Realtek HDA 8xxx

Ps2 keyboard

Ps2 Touchpad

iAtkos 10.5.1 ir2 patched to 10.5.2. Kalyway for some reason wont boot on my computer so ive sticked with iAtkos. Its overall running great and thats on an external hard drive lol. I should prolly move it onto my ide eventually.

Well I have installed Kalyway ( both releases) and Leo4all(both releases) and JaS (Tiger release) My thoughts are:

Kalyway has worked best for me on desktop computers. Don't ask me why it just seems to work that way.

Leo4all worked for both my home built desktop and my Dell laptop with the most features working right out of the box!

JaS worked great for the Tiger release I worked with. I have not tried his latest release though.

So my favorite would be Leo4All as it seems to be more adaptable to both hardware platforms....desktops and Laptops with more features and more things working out of the box.

I would choose one that covers my hardware profile the best way, so I don't have to hunt down kexts and drivers for my hardware. I'm on a laptop, so I'm searching for a release that, has fixed the slow fan and cpu overheating issue, and it seems to that leo4allv3 will work. I'm waiting. I've had Kalyway installed, and almost everything worked. Hope that leo4all will be better...

I would sorely like to vote for the new(ish) JaS release. It's fast and it works. The lack of definition with the patches (and there are a LOT of them optional for you) can make installing it a nightmare for a new user. Heck, it made ME have to stop and think a few times.

Zephyroth works remarkably well, also has a decently fast boot and install time and, as a general sort of thing, seems to work versatilely just about everywhere I've tried it so far (always refering to HW that was supported, of course).

Leo4Allv2 won out, however. It's about as fast as Zephyroth, and requires less post installation patching.

iAtkos, as of yet, I haven't tried. Kalyway was significantly slower for me, both in booting and in installation times.

So I voted for Leo4Allv2. Though I maintain that with a bit of spit and polish, I'd be voting for JaS hands down, no questions asked.

To honor eddie11c's new release (v3), I have updated the existing option of v2 to v3. Those that have already tried it, how do you like the new release?

To honor eddie11c's new release (v3), I have updated the existing option of v2 to v3. Those that have already tried it, how do you like the new release?

i have both Zephy's 10.5.2 Rev. 2 and the first Leo4All. My network card worked out of the box with Leo4All, so prefer this one, but Zephy's 10.5.2 Rev.2 seems to intall faster than Leo4All V.1, currently downlaoding Leo4All V.3, seems like my system will work out of the box with this relase. I will install Leo4All V.3 in two days and i'll post my comments on that.

Eager to hear what other users have to say. =) :D:P:D

i have both Zephy's 10.5.2 Rev. 2 and the first Leo4All. My network card worked out of the box with Leo4All, so prefer this one, but Zephy's 10.5.2 Rev.2 seems to intall faster than Leo4All V.1, currently downlaoding Leo4All V.3, seems like my system will work out of the box with this relase. I will install Leo4All V.3 in two days and i'll post my comments on that.