[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

billzz,

jsz0,

Have you tried using the sleep kernel (not speedstep) with ACPI S3?

I did. In that case it will sleep but not wake-up. I'll play around with it some more this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.

First of all thanks a lot for this guide, very clear and easy to follow, I built a system following this guide to the letter. (DS3R, Q6600, 7200gs, 4gb). Just wanted to say that 1.5.1 installed flawlessly but after the 1.5.2 update I experienced the same thing macciti did (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&start=100#). I didn´t get the black screen and the system hung on the error "...timed out waiting to write kernal symbols". Macciti did a lot of trick to get this working, I only did one thing, change the SATA RAID in the bios to ´AHCI´from ´disabled. After restarting everything worked, only thing was that my internal hard drive showed up as an external on the desktop. When I had installed everything I changed that bios setting back to ´disabled´and now it starts up ok and internal HD shows up as an internal. Everything works perfect. Lan, video, audio etc... even my PCI firewire card (VIA VT6306 chipset) works perfect! Updated everything via apple software update (including the airport and time machine update) and no problems.Thanks again!argrrA quick newbie question: I chose the speedstep kernel patch from your installer. Can one use the uninstaller to revert this and try out the sleep kernel patch? Do these patches somehow compromise with regards to compatibility (using official updates etc.)?thanks,AG

Just run the installer again and choose only the Sleep kernel, it will automatically overwrite your old kernel :P Nope they don't compromise compatibility as long as EFI is installed, which assuming you followed this guide you do have it ;)

First of all thanks a lot for this guide, very clear and easy to follow, I built a system following this guide to the letter. (DS3R, Q6600, 7200gs, 4gb). Just wanted to say that 1.5.1 installed flawlessly but after the 1.5.2 update I experienced the same thing macciti did (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&start=100#). I didn´t get the black screen and the system hung on the error "...timed out waiting to write kernal symbols". Macciti did a lot of trick to get this working, I only did one thing, change the SATA RAID in the bios to ´AHCI´from ´disabled. After restarting everything worked, only thing was that my internal hard drive showed up as an external on the desktop. When I had installed everything I changed that bios setting back to ´disabled´and now it starts up ok and internal HD shows up as an internal. Everything works perfect. Lan, video, audio etc... even my PCI firewire card (VIA VT6306 chipset) works perfect! Updated everything via apple software update (including the airport and time machine update) and no problems.Thanks again!argrrA quick newbie question: I chose the speedstep kernel patch from your installer. Can one use the uninstaller to revert this and try out the sleep kernel patch? Do these patches somehow compromise with regards to compatibility (using official updates etc.)?thanks,AG

Nice, good it worked :D now that i think changing the sata raid was the main thing to do.

@ pcwiz

gimp worked just fine, no problem what so ever. :) thanks for the link!!!

i have a strange thing going on... for example everything works fine but when i start a game and than quit it, my graphics goes really bad... same things happens if i put my box to sleep and than wake it up.. getting really ugly icons and everything. i have reinstalled video driver but get same things... is not a big deal because i dont play a lot of games but sometimes annoying because i have to restart my box to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Does your monitor have an auto adjust function? Try using that. Are you using DVI or VGA?

Yes, my monitor has auto adjustment. Also I am using DVI input. What difference does it make? I will try to do auto adjustment next time.

Has anyone else noticed that sleep on this board doesn't actually do much to save power?

To test this I connected a Kill-A-Watt to my computer. (displays on their own power strip, not measured for this test) After successfully entering sleep mode power usage only drops about 15% Can someone else with a similar setup and a Kill-A-Watt (or similar device) confirm this? Perhaps there's something in my setup preventing sleep mode from fully kicking in? Or is this a limitation of S1 sleep?

I haven't measured how much power my board (GA-P35-DS3P rev. 2.0) uses with S1 sleep but the three fans (CPU, graphics card & case) continue running at original speed.

(but graphics output shuts down)

Not sure if there is any power saving.

I upgraded from a GA-965P-DS3 a couple of weeks ago and for that board, S1 sleep worked perfectly. Haven't been able to figure out what the cause for this difference is.

Any ideas?

How can I check if my BIOS is F! or F2 version?

I'm also using XP (I'm gonna dual-boot it with Leopard):

Will it "harm" Win XP if I will connect the SATA HD to a yellow connector, instead of a purple one?

Update:

I found two versions for the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD:

1. Called "kalyway_leo_10.5.1.iso" and is 4.38GB.

2. Called "KALYWAY LEOPARD 10.5.1 intel SSE2 and SSE3" and is 3.51GB.

Maybe they are the same, but it's just that the first one is already extracted (from the RAR files)?

I have 2 optical drive. One is DVD - SATA and other is DVD-RW (IDE). By defaut, when I press F12 and hold for a second, it will eject my DVD-RW. So if I want to eject DVD-Sata, i click right and choose Eject.

I want to press F12, it will eject my DVD-SATA. How can I do i?

How can I check if my BIOS is F! or F2 version?

Check the Gigabyte post screen.

I'm also using XP (I'm gonna dual-boot it with Leopard):

Will it "harm" Win XP if I will connect the SATA HD to a yellow connector, instead of a purple one?

No. However XP install cds do not have AHCI drivers. There are many ways documented on this board to overcome this. I personally just disabled AHCI to install XP. Installed the drivers after the fact and then switched AHCI on.

Update:

I found two versions for the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD:

1. Called "kalyway_leo_10.5.1.iso" and is 4.38GB.

2. Called "KALYWAY LEOPARD 10.5.1 intel SSE2 and SSE3" and is 3.51GB.

Maybe they are the same, but it's just that the first one is already extracted (from the RAR files)?

Both look valid. In any case be sure you check the MD hash before using the file.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77069

How can I check if my BIOS is F! or F2 version?I'm also using XP (I'm gonna dual-boot it with Leopard):Will it "harm" Win XP if I will connect the SATA HD to a yellow connector, instead of a purple one?Update:I found two versions for the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD:1. Called "kalyway_leo_10.5.1.iso" and is 4.38GB.2. Called "KALYWAY LEOPARD 10.5.1 intel SSE2 and SSE3" and is 3.51GB.Maybe they are the same, but it's just that the first one is already extracted (from the RAR files)?
There is a software that you install in Windows called Everest, or BSD Everest... what it does it gathers all you computer information. It also will tell you what BIOS version you have. When did you buy your mobo? i bought mine 2 weeks ago and it alredy had F2. Personally i have all my HDD connected to orange/yellow ones. I dual boot with Vista.About KALYWAY, .iso is alredy extracted image of lea, you will have to only burn it to dvd (not rewritatble), the other KALYWAY is a .rar file. I have downloaded 2nd one because its smaller. Than i used winrar to extract the .iso file and it worked. Note about the Hash number, it should be the same, however you will have to try to install even if its not. In my case it wasnt but it worked.
I have 2 optical drive. One is DVD - SATA and other is DVD-RW (IDE). By defaut, when I press F12 and hold for a second, it will eject my DVD-RW. So if I want to eject DVD-Sata, i click right and choose Eject. I want to press F12, it will eject my DVD-SATA. How can I do i?
Ok, what you will have to do is find out which one is which in BIOS. I mean i would set up sata optical drive to be master and not slave and change the boot priority to boot from DVD first. And try to install. There might be a problem with using the ATA optical drive, you need SATA for sure. About pressing F12, i dont know why you would want to do it if you make your SATA master.
I have only one DVD drive, which is also a DVD burner.It is connected via IDE cable- will I be able to use it?
You can always try, but as far as i know understand from this installation guide that it will not work. You will have to have SATA optical drive to make it work for sure....Hope this helped, good installation to all of you :(

This is my first post...I hope I am doing it in the correct way...

anyway I installed like this with all the appropriate hardware and nailed it the first time!!!! It was great. For a couple of reasons I am reinstalling and now my Kalyway Kernel Package 10.5.2 is giving me an error message...I did to the repair permissions thing before trying to install it...I went back to the link for the file and was willing to sign up for the site but once inside the site the kernels package is not available as far as I can tell...any ideas on how to get a new 10.5.2 kernel updater???

Thanks,

Dave

I wish it was $20 in my country, but it's about $60.

Anyway, I'm still gonna try it with my IDE DVD drive.

I tried booting into Kalyway 10.5.1 yesterday, using my IDE DVD drive, but it restarted my computer after a few minutes- do you think my DVD is the cause for that problem?

I'm re-downloading the image right now, and when it will finish (just 5 more days to go ;)), I will try it again, cause the current DVD is scratched a lot.

I know this is not directly related to this guide but what is the best way to make a backup of a working setup (I´m afraid to touch anything now, it´s working so well). Is it best to use time machine and use the migration assistant to restore after installing again with the Kalyway 1.5.1 DVD. (i´m not to hung up on booting from the backup as I understand that can be tricky).

I think it would be more expensive that way. :P

Maybe you can send me a good link for downloading the Kalyway DVD (PM, if it's illegal here) ?

I'm downloading from TPB at 0.5kb/s! It's gonna take weeks..

TPB was the same place I got it from, give the torrent some time ;) I remember there was some site with direct links but I can't find it now. Get it off Rapidshare, search on Google for "kalyway rapidshare". Tons of links, but it will still take you a long time with Rapidshare's nasty download limits if you don't have a premium account.

There must be something wrong with your connection because all the DVDs that I've downloaded, and they're all from TPB, my average download speed is usually 500kb/s. I did Leo4All today and it was 750kb/s average. I'm still seeding both Kalyway and Leo4All at 100kb/s each so I'm not sure what's up.