[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

suicida,

No, you probably won't have to update BIOS. Yes you can overclock your Q6600 just fine. You can go fine without the SpeedStep kernel, since Intel processors automatically throttle themselves when the temps get too high, but if sleep doesn't matter and you want to be extra safe with the CPU use SpeedStep.

With SpeedStep, Sleep and wake partially work in ACPI S1 sleep mode (default is S3, set in Power Management in BIOS) but it isn't very consistent so sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. That install procedure looks good to me :wacko: You know where to get drivers for the 3870 right? Netkas has an installer package for the 3870 up on IRC.

Islander,

Yes, it does but you probably will need to do a BIOS update for the processors to work properly :D

macciti,

Thanks for helping out here, saves me time :)

Thanks pcwiz, a perfect install here for me, everything working perfectly except ...

Do you know of a way to show that I have a quard core rather than unknown in the about this mac menu? I know its only aesthetics, and all cores work just fine, but I like completeness :)

Thanks again, top work mate. :D

no problem pcwiz, i appreciate your help in making my box work ;)by the way, how do i make a link you have to your guide? i want to put that and also FAQ you created...

suicida,

To be honest, I don't know myself, but people have reported that the sleep kernel works fully for Sleep.

billzz,

Yes, there is a way to manually edit it:

To Fix "About this mac"

1.) Go to /System/Library/CoreServices (manually, not in terminal)

2.) Find the file "loginwindow", Right click-->Show package contents.

3.) Then browse to /Contents/Resources/English.lproj

4.) Copy the file "AboutThisMac" to the desktop.

5.) Open with Text Editor

6.) Find the line "ABOUT_BOX_MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS_FIELD_FORMAT" (line without the / at the begining

7.) Edit the Value of "%@" after the equal sign to say whatever you

want it to say in about this mac for processor. For example

CODE

"ABOUT_BOX_MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS_FIELD_FORMAT" = "2.4 GHz Intel

Core 2 Quad, Q6600";

8.) Do the same for the line "ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT"

= "2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad, Q6600"; (don't know if it makes a

difference doing it for this one as well.

9.) Next, we can edit what we want it to say for Memory: Find the line

"ABOUT_BOX_MEMORY_FIELD_FORMAT" =. It is near the bottom of the page.

10.) Change the Value after the equal sign to whatever you want. For

Example

"ABOUT_BOX_MEMORY_FIELD_FORMAT"  = "4GB Corsair DDR2

800MHz";

11.) Now save the file on your desktop.

12.) Right click on it-->Get info. Make sure the extensions is .strings and not .txt

13.) Delete the original "AboutThisMac" file by dragging it into the trash can.. you will need to authenticate.

14.) Drag the new "AboutThisMac" from the desktop in its place in the "English.lproj" folder.

15.) No need to restart, reopen About This Mac and see your changes.

Got that from mtothos tweak guide :(

macciti,

Like this:

[url="http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=90795"]Install Guide[/url] | [url="http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=89659"]The Newbies FAQ to OSx86[/url]

Paste that next to your Mac OS X 10.5.2 100% working thing. Save it and change the colors if needed

OK, followed the guide and must say it was so smooth it was incredible. Now running 10.5.2. LAN works out of the box. Audio (including front panel) working. Only thing is my GPU. I did not install any drivers off the Kalway 5.1 disk but did do the graphics update.

My card is not recognized properly and no QE/IC and not res changes available. It boots as a 16Mb card.

I have an XFX nForce 8600GT 512Mb. Can someone tell me or post the correct kexts for this card to work properly?

Thanks.

Has anyone else noticed that sleep on this board doesn't actually do much to save power?

To test this I connected a Kill-A-Watt to my computer. (displays on their own power strip, not measured for this test) After successfully entering sleep mode power usage only drops about 15% Can someone else with a similar setup and a Kill-A-Watt (or similar device) confirm this? Perhaps there's something in my setup preventing sleep mode from fully kicking in? Or is this a limitation of S1 sleep?

i know that X11 should be installed on Leopard by default. But for some reason all open source programs i try to install that are based on X11 are crashing, for example i get a pop up windows that says 'gimp wasn't able to start'. Does anyone know if X11 needs to be reinstalled or any suggestion for making it work.

I noticed that everytime I repair permissions in disk utility, X11 is the only one that is always in need of repair. If I run disk permissions on every boot, X11 ALWAYS need permissions repair. Any idea why is won't hold the permissions repair from boot to boot?

I also tried the punk92 vid fix but it gives me a black screen every time so right now, no full support for my 8600GT 512Mb.

Thanks ~pcwiz. Not only is this my first time building a mac but its my first time building a pc. for the guide/installer, it sounds like this will work well for a clean slate like me.

Question on my DS3R board. In bios, when I set my RAM to 800Mhz, its native speed (Kingston HyperX DDR2 PC6400 800Mhz) it won't boot. It tries to boot 2-3 times before resetting to default 667Mhz and then boots up. The BIOS change won't take and it won't boot with RAM at full speed.

I looked and the BIOS on my new board, just bought it this week GA-EP35-DS3R, is version is F1. Will a BIOS update fix this issue? Which is better, F8 or F12? I see where F8 seems to work well but the newest seems to be F12.

Any help is highly appreciated.

EDIT:

OK, looked at Gigabyte's website and there are 3 BIOS for my board. F1, F2 and F3beta. Guess I'll try F2. Don't know why it won't keep the RAM settings or boot after changing them.

@yonyz

i think somebody already asked this question before. As far as i remember the answer, it should work fine. :( Make sure you update to F2 Bios though, F1 can couse some problems.

billzz,

No problem, thanks ;)

jsz0,

Have you tried using the sleep kernel (not speedstep) with ACPI S3?

macciti,

Are you using Fink to install X11 apps?

zonker,

I know, just ignore it. Its not really a problem at all. Yeah try updating the BIOS. Maybe you have other RAM sticks in your system that are running at a lower speed?

Islander,

Yeah, try it, hope it works for you :)

I think macciti answered the rest of the questions nicely -_-

Are you using Fink to install X11 apps?

I didnt, i just was trying to install Gimp since X11 is on Leopard. But i will look into Fink tonight. Thanks!

@yonyz

i think somebody already asked this question before. As far as i remember the answer, it should work fine. :( Make sure you update to F2 Bios though, F1 can couse some problems.

Hi Macciti,

I'm not sure what F2 or F1 means..

I appreciate your help.

BTW, what ICH3 connectors?

I got my hard disk drive connected to a purple sata connector, and the guide says that's not good.

I believe that there is a native version of GIMP that runs without X11. Here, found it:http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/
Thanks pcwiz, i will try it tonight... :(
Hi Macciti,I'm not sure what F2 or F1 means..I appreciate your help.BTW, what ICH3 connectors?I got my hard disk drive connected to a purple sata connector, and the guide says that's not good.
F1 or F2 are the versions of BIOS. F1 is older and F2 of course the new one. About purple connectors, i am not sure. pcwiz would be the one who can help with that. :) But make sure you follow the guide :)