[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

I don't have the money right now for a SATA DVD, so I would like to try that SATA to PATA adapter.

Update:

That thing is not cheap at all. ;)

If you already have an external enclosure for a hard drive, then you won't need to buy anything (the reason for my questions).

I'm not sure what "Externel enclosure for a hard drive" means..

Thats the case so to speak for you internal HD to make it external with USB out...

P.S. this is my 100th post, wow, i should celebrate :)

P.S.S does it say Geek now? Hmm, i am no geek :wacko:

I still don't understand.

Does it got something to do with my IDE DVD issue?

Oh, I forgot! Congrats for your 100th post!

I'm nearly there, too. :wallbash:

Hmm, I never even read your IDE DVD issue. My question is completely irrelevant to yours, if you didn't know already.

I am a retard. I just realized my dvd drive is IDE and according to the guide, I won't be able to use IDE to install leopard. Any suggestions, short of returning my dvd drive back for a SATA drive? Will I be able to use my IDE dvd drive after I install leopard (meaning I borrow someone's SATA dvd drive?).

yonyz,

I dunno about iATKOS, you can try it but this guide and installer is meant for Kalyway so various problems may arise. I have no clue what an external hard drive has to do with your problem but anyway, you can try a PATA to SATA adapter but considering one of those is probably nearly as expensive as a new SATA drive, you might as well get a new SATA drive.

Roarsaur,

I really don't know how to do it with a USB flash drive, research around and you could probably find out. There is stuff about installing TO a pen drive but not installing from one. Maybe try downloading the Kalyway ISO, burn it onto a disc, stick it into an already working Leopard or Tiger computer, make a DMG of the disc, and write the DMG to an 8GB or bigger flash drive. Just a complete theory though, I don't know anyone who has actually tried i.

suidica1.nun,

Yeah you could borrow a SATA drive to install and use the IDE drive after install, the problem is only when you try to BOOT from an IDE drive.

I am a retard. I just realized my dvd drive is IDE and according to the guide, I won't be able to use IDE to install leopard. Any suggestions, short of returning my dvd drive back for a SATA drive? Will I be able to use my IDE dvd drive after I install leopard (meaning I borrow someone's SATA dvd drive?).
Sell your IDE optical drive on ebay and buy SATA :P
I still don't understand.Does it got something to do with my IDE DVD issue?Oh, I forgot! Congrats for your 100th post!I'm nearly there, too. :P
I was just answering the question :P

@pcwiz

See what good guides do? :P No problems reporting here, everything works, i sometimes wish it would be harder though so it would be more active :D

In BIOS I have legacy USB disabled. Should I have it turned on? I thought it had to be off.

Is anyone else having issues with no PnP for USB ports? Mine are only recognized if already plugged in at boot. Not a major issue until I try to d/l pics from my camera or something else and have to reboot to do it.

I leave my 2GB USB key in all the time as it makes it easy to transfer files from WinXP to Leo and back. I may get an 8GB key and leave it in all the time on a rear USB port just for this purpose.

Any way, any fix for PnP USB to get it working?

I had issues with Pnp both with USB and FW (on my PCI card). After some troubleshooting i came to the conclusion that the culprit was the airport/timemachine update. It updates the kernel and (for me at least) broke USB and FW PnP. I installed again and said yes to every update on Apple software updates exept the aforementioned airport/timemachine update and everything is fine now. If you did do that update that might be the reason.

Regarding the BIOS settings, I have all USB settings on the default.

Hope this helps...

AG

In BIOS I have legacy USB disabled. Should I have it turned on? I thought it had to be off.

Is anyone else having issues with no PnP for USB ports? Mine are only recognized if already plugged in at boot. Not a major issue until I try to d/l pics from my camera or something else and have to reboot to do it.

I leave my 2GB USB key in all the time as it makes it easy to transfer files from WinXP to Leo and back. I may get an 8GB key and leave it in all the time on a rear USB port just for this purpose.

Any way, any fix for PnP USB to get it working?

I updated everything except those two. If you have your BIOS settings at default, I may have to turn legacy support back on.

Hey, quick question. I just installed Kalyway 10.5.1 (JMicron port, AHCI enabled, MBR), followed by the 10.5.2 Kalyway package and then the Kalyway Kernel update then the Kalyway 10.5.1 virginizer.
What is the Kalway 10.5.1 virginizer? Is this something I should run?

I updated everything except those two. If you have your BIOS settings at default, I may have to turn legacy support back on.What is the Kalway 10.5.1 virginizer? Is this something I should run?

Kalyway comes with preloaded softwares like transmission for example, and also preloaded settings by Kaly... Virginizer deletes everything and restores your OS to out of the box Leo without Kaly stuff... its not nesecary to run...

Yeah but we might lose shutdown, restart, and possibly sleep.

Yeah, not willing to go there, just switched to mac completely even though still have Vista on my other drive, almost never boot there. I guess i will wait for the 10.5.3 update and i am sure it will be avalible with kernel 9.2.2 :P

The 10.5.3 update will be kernel 9.3.0, even newer than 9.2.2. Anyway, have you heard that Kalyway has released a new 10.5.2 DVD? Built in AMD support, universal DVD and there is a lot of more hardware support, nForce, etc. everything. And it includes the 9.2.2 kernel too :P There is still the problem with booting from IDE drives though :( But anyway, it sounds like a big step forward!

`pcwiz,

First I want to thank you for your guide. This was great! I had just gotten my new board last night and everything was smooth. The only small issue I have ( I have searched the forums as well) is after the Apple boot loader screen my screen goes black for 3 - 5 minutes but it will eventually come back and video is fine. I have tried the other suggestions of removing the geforce.kext, disabling AHCI, and various nvidia installers but nothing works to stop the black screen. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Dora

`pcwiz, First I want to thank you for your guide. This was great! I had just gotten my new board last night and everything was smooth. The only small issue I have ( I have searched the forums as well) is after the Apple boot loader screen my screen goes black for 3 - 5 minutes but it will eventually come back and video is fine. I have tried the other suggestions of removing the geforce.kext, disabling AHCI, and various nvidia installers but nothing works to stop the black screen. Do you have any other suggestions?Thanks!Dora
Dora, here is something for you to do... ;) Its believed here that your computer hardware should be in your signature... Its hard to know what to suggest if we dont know your hardware... Second, question for you... did you install 10.5.2 update and if yes did you fix the partitions and did you install kernel after that? Third, boot in verbose mode (at boot press F8 type -v and press enter) take a picture of the place where it freezes and post it here...
The 10.5.3 update will be kernel 9.3.0, even newer than 9.2.2. Anyway, have you heard that Kalyway has released a new 10.5.2 DVD? Built in AMD support, universal DVD and there is a lot of more hardware support, nForce, etc. everything. And it includes the 9.2.2 kernel too :) There is still the problem with booting from IDE drives though :) But anyway, it sounds like a big step forward!
This is nice, i have just read about it, thank you for posting this... i will try to install it on my amd laptop... :P

macciti,

Thanks for the reply.

1. Sig is updated.

2. Yes to the update to 10.5.2. Yes to repair permissions and yes to installing the kernals via the new handy installer pack. (note the Kalyway Kernels update would not launch so I skipped ahead to the installer.zip when I read that it installed the kernel. The error I received if curious trying to run the Kalyway Kernel package was "Operation could not be completed. (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1)."

3. I have booted in verbose but I do not get an error. Everything loads but as I stated I just have to wait 3 -5 minutes after the loader for the video.

Everything else works great and I do not have any other issues. I can Live with this however I have done multiple installs where the video loads right after the loader. This is just the first time I have had it happen.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

pcwiz,

I received an error running it.

"Operation could not be completed. (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1)."

I was not sure if the new installer was the same so I just skipped and used that instead of the Kalyway Kernel pack.

Edit:

I just downloaded it again and now it is ok..... Sorry to have wasted your time....

Thanks again for the guide!!

pcwiz,

I received an error running it.

"Operation could not be completed. (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1)."

I was not sure if the new installer was the same so I just skipped and used that instead of the Kalyway Kernel pack.

Edit:

I just downloaded it again and now it is ok..... Sorry to have wasted your time....

Thanks again for the guide!!

SO does it work now? was it kernel issue? Plus did you install Kalyway 10.5.2 ComboUpdate?