[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

I can pay 8 euros, I just don't wanna wait any more. :( Thanks for the hint!
I paid, $7 for 48 hours and got mine in 4-5 hours :) Works great!!!
Has anyone else noticed that sleep on this board doesn't actually do much to save power? To test this I connected a Kill-A-Watt to my computer. (displays on their own power strip, not measured for this test) After successfully entering sleep mode power usage only drops about 15% Can someone else with a similar setup and a Kill-A-Watt (or similar device) confirm this? Perhaps there's something in my setup preventing sleep mode from fully kicking in? Or is this a limitation of S1 sleep?
I am not sure if you meant S3 when you said S1. S3 is a defalt setting. If you have not touched it try to change your power managment in BIOS to S1 or so, it should work totaly. :) i had same experience, sleep would turn off my monitor but fans still worked... i have change to S1 and it works great now.
Does your monitor have an auto adjust function? Try using that. Are you using DVI or VGA?
pcwiz, i have tried to do automatic adjustment after the game but it wouldnt help... any ideas? :)

Are you using NVinject for graphics? I'm not sure, try lowering your resolution. That used to happen to me on Windows XP on my monitors max resolution (1440x900)

Yes, i use NVinject for graphics. My resolution is 1440x900 too. it almost feels like driver quits on me after the game. Now, when i try to change resolution, everything goes bad again. :P

A note on F1 and F2 BIOS on GA-EP35-DS3R MB's. With the F1 bios installed, I can install Kalway just fine. With F2 BIOS installed, Kalway DVD will either freeze during install or give a kernel panic during install. I could NOT get kalway to work with F2 BIOS. It installed flawlessly with F1 BIOS so with this board, I had to update the BIOS AFTER installing Kalway.

I also discovered that my USB 2.0 ports only work if they are plugged in before boot. I have no PnP for USB ports. Any fix for this?

And can someone please help me get my XFX 8600GT 512Mb working? I have tried both Punk92v2 and scottangel v.41 and both give me a black screen with the messages on the nVidia lines of "data not shown".

What, and more importantly how, kexts do I need to edit to get my card's id of 0x040110de in so it will be fully recognized and functional?

maccity, you could have paid a few more $, and you have it for month!

People, I can't find my BIOS version (F1 or 2)..

I looked at that white/green motherboard screen at startup, but couldn't see anything regarding the BIOS version.

I looked at that white/green motherboard screen at startup, but couldn't see anything regarding the BIOS version.

Wasn't precise enough in my previous post. On boot you will see the Gigabyte Logo Screen. Quickly hit <TAB> to switch to the post screen and then <Pause> to freeze the boot process. In the upper left hand side you should see your model name followed by the BIOS version. Mine says EP35C-DS3R F2. F2 being the BIOS version.

I'm on it.Thanks.It says "F4"..I remember I updated the BIOS (with a software, not through the BIOS itself, which is a bit weird) a week ago..About the DVD Drive: What are the symptoms for a "bad" DVD drive? How can I know that the cause is my IDE DVD drive?

Any suggestions?

Try doing a "Detect Displays" in the Displays System Preferences app. In my case it only happens using EFI graphic strings with my 8800GTS. Doesn't seem to happen with NVinject.

In your BIOS settings, disable "full screen logo". This will help as it will go straight to post screen and you won't have to hit tab every time.

I also discovered that my USB 2.0 ports only work if they are plugged in before boot. I have no PnP for USB ports. Any fix for this?

And can someone please help me get my XFX 8600GT 512Mb working? I have tried both Punk92v2 and scottangel v.41 and both give me a black screen with the messages on the nVidia lines of "data not shown".

What, and more importantly how, kexts do I need to edit to get my card's id of 0x040110de in so it will be fully recognized and functional?

Anyone have any answers for these two?

Ye, thats true but i figured 48 hours should be enough :(

yonyz,

There are past experiences with IDE drives not working with these boards, I mean like they work for normal use but you can't boot from them. It also says in the Kalyway release thread that it is not compatible with booting from JMicron IDE DVD drives, and JMicron is what these boards have. There is no sound card for you to install, its built right into the motherboard and it works with some patching.

zonker,

Have you tried NVinject 0.2.0 for video? Not sure about the USB though, make sure all USB options are enabled in BIOS.

One minor issue: I am not seeing the airdisk on my airport extreme and not seeing my airport express in itunes (that is, airtunes doesn´t work). I am plugged into the Airport extreme via LAN. Other than that i have no issues with LAN, other things such as sharing my itunes library and browsing shared folders on my macbook work well (so bonjour seems to work). Is there any chance that using the LAN driver in your installer will fix this? Am I at risk of breaking something by trying it out?

As I said, these are minor issues, I am extremely pleased with the results of following your guide!

Thanks in advance, I appreciate how you follow up on your guide by answering all these questions.

AG

yonyz,

There are past experiences with IDE drives not working with these boards, I mean like they work for normal use but you can't boot from them. It also says in the Kalyway release thread that it is not compatible with booting from JMicron IDE DVD drives, and JMicron is what these boards have.

So that's why my Kalyway DVD didn't boot!

But I'm still gonna try it with a new Kalyway DVD. ;)

~pcwiz,

I have a very important question for you:

1. You said, in your guide, that you couldn't boot with the iATKOS DVD.

Do you mean that you couldn't boot into Leopard after the installation, or you just couldn't boot the iATKOS DVD (the Leopard installation itself..).

Because, I CAN boot it, and I can't boot Kalyway, so maybe I will try it as I don't have a SATA DVD for booting Kalyway DVD.

2. Is that the only problem with the iATKOS DVD?

Will I have the same packages to select for installing with Leopard? Cause I heard that the Kalyway is "extended" with those packages..

3. How about using a SATA To PATA adapter?

there are a lot of reports that kalyway 10.5.2 combo update works with itkios installation and drivers should work too. There is a difference between two though, for example itkios is a 'stripped' version of Leo compared to kalyway which represent full version. Itkios wasn't created with future updates in mind as kalyway. Research yourself and see what suits you best. Personaly I would buy sata drive and go with kalyway.

My internal IDE-DVD didn't work either, so i used an external IDE-DVD connected with USB.

After you've installed everything your internal IDE-DVD should work without problems, at least i didn't experience any problems since i finished my installation.

/Cathul

Did you use an external enclosure type ide to usb? I have an external enclosure for 3.5" hard drives to usb that I want to use instead of buying a SATA dvdrw.

Also, since Cathul was able to install via a USB device, is it possible to install from a USB flash drive? How would you make a bootable USB flash drive?

Thanks, I'm just thinking about alternative ways of installing.

edit: I'm also wondering what I should do with my sound blaster PCI card. I know I can't use it with leopard, but I want to be able to use it with XP (noticeable difference in sound quality). How can I manage this efficiently? (Can't think of anything)