[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

no luck pcwiz... i dont know what to do. I am thinking to download update again and run it. By the way is there a way to make sound work on 10.5.1 without updating to 10.5.2? I know that for me to run you package with drivers, osx has to be 10.5.2... please let me know if i can fix sound in 10.5.1. Thanks!

ok I have installed those two packages for sound and you would not believe this but I get same booting message like after 10.5.2 update and I simply can't boot... I have spent hours researching my issue on search engine and nothing. Maybe I should update kernel first and then install drivers?! It just seems like its a driver issue, but I am not sure. I need help, I have reinstalled OSS today 5 times, I just want it to work now since I am buying retail one. And tips?

I have another problem I hope someone can help me with. Sometimes my camera's SD cards, either inserted into my 2407wfp's card reader or just when the camera is plugged in directly via USB, will not mount. Sometimes they will mount, but they effectively freeze and I can't read them. Sometimes they'll mount and work perfectly. Running the cache and mkext clearing commands posted a few pages back doesn't help. Any ideas?

EDIT: It looks like "MassStorage" process is locking up sometimes. I insert the card, it appears on the desktop, and then a few seconds later MassStorage stops responding. I don't know what to do.

Does anyone have any insight into why this is happening? It seems to happen most often when I try to use my Dell monitor's card reader; plugging the camera in via USB works more often, but still not all the time. This is a significant problem for me because I shoot a lot of pictures. I tried tweaking a few USB-related BIOS settings, like setting Legacy USB Storage Detect to disabled, but no change. I've been scouring the forums here and haven't been able to find any reference to it, which is why I'm posting here because it seems like it may be isolated to these motherboards. Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have.

ok, updating kernel doesnt help, same old thing... well, maybe a little bit different but stocks at the same point... Let me ask this question, do i have to unplug everything from my box including interent (besides keyboard and mouse) before installing combo update?

Its interesting because my mobo is compatable and should work, it did in 99% cases for other people, but not here... Any ideas guys? anything you can think of, throw in the bucket...

Thanks!

macciti,

Yeah 2 people further back in this thread had the problem too. I suggest you do a clean wipe and reinstall with MBR EFI Vanilla.

Semicus,

No, no logs. Maybe a faulty disc? Try using different burn media (different brand discs).

mrogers,

It might just be that the built in card reader is not supported, it happens often. But its funny that it doesn't work when plugged into direct USB. See on the camera manufacturers site if there are OS X drivers/software.

PCWIZ:

i've burned it on TDK disc with 4x speed. Have you seen my BIOS pics, are those settings OK? Maybe there is something i've missed there?

btw. i wonder if there is a program to compare burned DVD with ISO image to check for errors. I'll do a research. :wacko:

ok, i fixed it finally!!! ;) one question though, what is speedstep in your driver package? what does it do?sound work!!! o man, i am so excited!!! :) i will post details on what i did to make it work in case somebody has same issue.@pcwiz,can you please provide video driver only? i need it because i didnt install it during installation... thanks

I've made huge step forward! Installation finished without any sudden reboots. I've just changed "HPET mode" to "64 bit mode" under "Power Management Setup" in BIOS. It helped!

My happines didn't last long cause when i booted Leo for the first time... "KERNEL PANIC".

Here is my screenshot from my first installation without ATI drivers:

pic009fv3.th.jpg

... and because i thought that the problem could be lack of ATI drivers i've installed it again :

pic010do0.th.jpg

btw. I've got SB Live and M-AUDIO audiophile cards inserted in my PCI slots. Can that make a difference?

macciti,

Glad it works. But would you explain how you fixed it, for anyone who has the same issue? :D

Semicus,

First install WITHOUT ATI drivers and see if you can get into single user mode (-s at boot F8 prompt). If you can successfully boot into single user, I can give you instructions on how to remove the pesky ATI kext.

OK after some digging I have a sneaking suspicion that my USB card reader problems may be related to the fact that I installed the custom sleep kernel when going through this guide. Even if it's not directly related, I still want to get the vanilla kernel before continuing troubleshooting. Is it easy to go back to the vanilla kernel? How would I do that?

I got everything working on a P35-DS3 board, however, I have some problems updating the software through software update.(Vanilla EFI)

It is able to grab the updates from the internet, after that it will ask me to restart and it will stuck at a dialog box saying "preparing installation" with the progress bar not moving...

First install WITHOUT ATI drivers and see if you can get into single user mode (-s at boot F8 prompt). If you can successfully boot into single user, I can give you instructions on how to remove the pesky ATI kext.

OK.. i've booted into single user mode. What to do now?