[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

My installer looks weird aswell, instead of having the left part that shows what step you're on, the right panel takes up the whole space.

Anyways, I got my new sata dvd and hard drive, burned the md5-correct iso and installed with guid. When it tried to boot (with -v) it said it started the login window and then said something about localhost, and stopped loading there. I redid the whole process and I'm getting the essentials package error. I used a crappy burning program before (Ashampoo), so I'm installing nero right now and seeing if i can get it to work.

-Hellsoap

now its wierd... the one i needed to work is now showing on windows but the one that worked before is gone :( I am thinking that it is maybe not enough power because two of them are connected to the same power cable but again i am not sure...

When i install osx and get confirmation screen that installation was successfull it requiresme to restart my box, when i do that do i have to keep cd in and let the boot loader load files from cd again of do i take it out after restart? I am having some issues i have to work on... hopefully it will work.

now its wierd... the one i needed to work is now showing on windows but the one that worked before is gone :P I am thinking that it is maybe not enough power because two of them are connected to the same power cable but again i am not sure...

How many disk you have?

In windows you should see at least the one with windows installed :( . But you can't see the one with Leopard installed (you can see it with some programs like Acronis DiskDirector etc...)

When i install osx and get confirmation screen that installation was successfull it requiresme to restart my box, when i do that do i have to keep cd in and let the boot loader load files from cd again of do i take it out after restart? I am having some issues i have to work on... hopefully it will work.

If everything is working fine, you should restart without DVD.

This what the installer looks like for me, sorry it's blurry - from my cell phone camera.

0327082123yj8.th.jpg

No left pane like the the sample screen shots.

I'm still getting the error installing essentials package durring install. I redownloaded the iso onto the hard drive without bad sectors, the zip and the iso hashs matched, and then I burned it with Nero 8 Ultimate on 4x speed without any problems. All my bios settings are correct, I don't know why it isn't working. Also notice in the pic my new hard drive (the 3 partitions) come up as external, is this supposed to happen? Both my hard drive and dvd-drive are plugged into the yellow sata ports. Also, out of curiousity you say to use the yellow and not the purple, but what about the orange ones on the ds3p? Thanks

Heres my spec cause I haven't posted it yet:

Q6600

ds3p rev 2

8800gts 320mb - evga

Crucial Ballistix 240pin 1066 ram

lite-on 20x dvd burner /w litescribe sata

WD 640gb sata

550w psu - (antec maybe?)

I think thats the case Vash, i cant see the one one where leopard installed... so i guess its ok then... i will try to install leopard today and post my results today too ;) thanks Vash!!!

I have another problem I hope someone can help me with. Sometimes my camera's SD cards, either inserted into my 2407wfp's card reader or just when the camera is plugged in directly via USB, will not mount. Sometimes they will mount, but they effectively freeze and I can't read them. Sometimes they'll mount and work perfectly. Running the cache and mkext clearing commands posted a few pages back doesn't help. Any ideas?

EDIT: It looks like "MassStorage" process is locking up sometimes. I insert the card, it appears on the desktop, and then a few seconds later MassStorage stops responding. I don't know what to do.

another successful install!!! :( Thanks pcwiz!!! Few thing though:

1. For me to log in into osx i have to unplug all internal HDD connected to my mobo except the one where osx installed. I have Vista installed and would like to have choice at boot screen between Vista and OSX without removing vista HDD. I know that secret in BIOS, any suggestions?

2. When i log into OSX there is no sound. I know that i have chosen the right river at the installation screen but no luck. I have also tried to reinstall OSX selecting only audio driver... no luck. Any suggestions?

3. iTunes doesn't work.

I have not installed 10.5.2 update yet, just to let you know. Will do that tomorrow.

OK, answers to your questions:

Hellsoap,

That installer screen is normal. Try partitioning and formatting with MBR. And make sure that you give the volume a 1 word name, no spaces. I'm not sure about orange ports, this is what my board looks like:

10854.jpg

Plugging into any of those orangish yellowish ports is fine, don't plug into the purple ones though :(

macciti,

You don't have to unplug it. Which OS do you think you are going to use the most, Vista or Leopard? Anyway, go to the BIOS and look at the Boot Order. In the Boot Order in Hard Disks, set the one that you boot most often with at the top and save changes. So by default it will now boot with that drive. If you want to boot from the other drive, tap F12 at the BIOS splash screen and a boot menu comes up. Select Hard Disks and you can choose a drive to boot from -_-

You're probably already tried this but reinstall my package selecting ONLY the sound driver and nothing else (reinstall the driver package, not OS X). Why is iTunes not working? Any errors?

PCWIZ,

I have the GA-P35-DS3R board and on an earlier install (Brazilmac 10.5 & upgrade to 10.51) I had a matched set of 500Gb SATA drives plugged into the purple ports and had it setup as a RAID0 through OSX although it was NOT my boot drive. It worked fine as I recall but I later ditched that install and hardware config for the one in this thread. On a side note, the 500G drives are now happily striped in a 3.2G AMD WinXP64 build [screamer :P ].

I have not recently plugged anything into the purple ports but if memory serves me, they have there own bios settings. I'm not sure about using them as a primary drive and I remember that I was definitely not able to use them as the boot drive in a hardware RAID0 configuration with OSX. :(

Thats interesting Michigan, but it might as well be true because from what I've heard you can't boot anything from them. So I guess they work for storage then...But I'm just discouraging people to not using them because their performance is sufficiently horrible in Windows and I wouldn't expect OS X to do any better.

Hi!

Sorry for such long delay.

These are my BIOS screens and also installer pics.

pic001gq1.th.jpgpic002jy5.th.jpgpic003tb0.th.jpg

pic004uo4.th.jpgpic006og6.th.jpgpic007yx7.th.jpg

pic008my1.th.jpg

As you can see, the installer looks different than the one in tutorial. I think this has nothing to do with my installation problem but i wonder why.

Still osx restarts in about 95% of installation progress.

Again:

My specs: Core2Duo E6550

MOBO: GA-P35-DS4 (bios ver. F8)

GFX: ATI Radeon X1950PRO DDR3 512MB

HDD: 400GB Seagate ST3400620AS SATA II 16MB cache NCQ

Thanks for any response.

I have installed 10.5.2 update and right now its on white screen with apple logo and seems like its booting but it has been 1+hour. Did it get stock or is it normal? I know its going to take long time but one hour is long is in it? Any suggestions?

Before the Loading Darwin/x86 screen comes up start tapping F8 on your keyboard. It gets you to a Darwin boot: prompt. Type in:

-v

And hit Enter to go. Verbose mode shows you all the diagnostic messages instead of the pretty Apple logo screen ;)

I was using Sony DVD-Rs, since you said you use sony. I tried one of my Memorex DVD-Rs and worked flawlessly, everything is installed - But now Windows XP wont install properly :/. I've been using the same XP disk since SP2 came out so I'm gonna try getting a new one.

Thanks for the help.

-Hellsoap

macciti,

So is this after rebooting after applying the Kalyway combo updater?

Hellsoap,

Thats weird, I swear I used a Sony DVD-R to burn it and it worked fine. Glad you discovered that :angry: