[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

this was originally poated by spinakorizo about updating to 9.2.2 ToH Kernel,

"before you replace kernel a good idea would be to test it 1st with a very simple way

just rename it to something else (mach_kernel_test) and paste it in root (tha path you have when you double click at your mac hd)

then at darwin bootloader boot with: mach_kernel_test (type this)

if it boots and everything is ok then you can replace the original mach_kernel with the new one"

what do you think? shall we experiment? :(

and this is according to exman (how to update kernel to 9.2.2)

1. Get the kernel

2. Rename the new kernel to mach_kernel.base and place it at root

3. Backup your current kernel, type in Terminal:

cp /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.old

3. Type below in Terminal:

sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel.base

sudo chmod 644 /mach_kernel.base

cp /mach_kernel.base /mach_kernel

4. Reboot

I have the same problems with PnP USB; worked fine before all of the updates included in pcwiz's excellent guide. Will try enabling Legacy USB and see what happens.

EDIT: Have tried Legacy USB storage support - makes no difference.

One other problem; I used NVinstaller4.1 to get the full 512Mb and accompanying resolutions on my 8800GT gfx card. It works - I can now crank it up higher than before - but the machine takes an age to load, with almost a minute of frozen spinning disc before it finally dumps me into the desktop. Has anyone else experienced this?

Oh, and pcwiz's tip on the sound drivers came in handy; mine didn't work first time, but I now have output and input options after reinstalling ONLY the sound drivers from his installer.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies...

Discy

Roarsaur,

Probably not, at least for now. It doesn't make too much sense to ruin a perfectly good install because there is a new DVD, other than the 9.2.2 kernel the final product with using the 10.5.2 DVD or the 10.5.1 DVD + Combo Update is essentially the same, although the 10.5.2 DVD is more convenient.\

macciti,

Yep saw that. You can experiment if you like, but I'm not sure if you can restore the old kernel if something goes wrong. Apparently for some people restoring the old kernel and System.kext doesn't work, because other files are updated too. I personally am going to wait for 10.5.3 :)

discmeister,

Did you by any chance install the PS/2 driver in the installer package?

Video card compatibility question:

Is there a problem with the GeForece 8800GT cards? On PCWiz's site (http://######.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=46) I read:

The best GeForce card that you can get that works with OS X is the GeForce 8800GTX, but the GeForce 8800GTS also works. The other 8800 cards (GT, etc.) don’t work with OS X due to chipset incompatibility. Most GeForce cards (7xxx and 8800GTX\S) will work with the NVinject patch

On the 10.5.2 HCL there are 8800 GT cards that are listed as compatible (mostly MSI). For the $$$ and for the power 8800 GT cards seem like the way to go, so I'm just curious about them not working. I see a lot of people using 7xxx cards but those aren't as powerful. I could spend the extra $$ on a GTS... I'm just wondering about reliability of 8800 GT cards and nvinject.

Here's a list of cards I have to choose from:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/Comp...E)/Default.aspx

Thank you so much! This is an awesome thread!

SO does it work now? was it kernel issue? Plus did you install Kalyway 10.5.2 ComboUpdate?

Yep. I must have had a bad download the first time of the Kalyway Kernel. After downloading the second time it worked perfectly. Another successful install!!!

Dora

Yep saw that. You can experiment if you like, but I'm not sure if you can restore the old kernel if something goes wrong. Apparently for some people restoring the old kernel and System.kext doesn't work, because other files are updated too. I personally am going to wait for 10.5.3 :) discmeister,Did you by any chance install the PS/2 driver in the installer package?
Ye, thats true... we have perfect install anyway :)
Alright, I'm back. Hopefully this time my mobo doesn't blow up :) Oh, and THANK GOD my other components didn't get fried!
Good to see you back, dont fry anything this time:)

What do you mean exactly?

I won't be able to boot the Kalyway DVD with my IDE DVD, right?

But I can boot the iATKOS DVD, and install it, but I won't have the extra drivers that can be installed with the Kalyway (those extra drivers that I should check when clicking "customize" on the Kalyway DVD, just like it's been written in this guide).

So maybe I can get those extra drivers and install them after installing Leopard, and within Leopard?

Pcwiz,

No, I didn't install the PS/2 drivers. I have USB keyboard and USB mouse support switched on in my DS3P's bios. I didn't install the Ethernet drivers either, because it worked out of the box. Just Speedstep kernel, sound, macdotnub SMBIOS and the revised SATA driver.

Frustratingly close to a perfect install - the thing even shuts down properly, unlike the previous Hackintosh that I built for a friend - but PnP USB and the long, LONG pause during bootup sure are annoying. :-/

Am willing to try any suggestions if it helps someone else who might encounter the same issues. That said, I notice Kalyway has just released a supposedly integrated 10.5.2 DVD, so I'm downloading that as well...

Discy

I won't be able to boot the Kalyway DVD with my IDE DVD, right?

But I can boot the iATKOS DVD, and install it, but I won't have the extra drivers that can be installed with the Kalyway (those extra drivers that I should check when clicking "customize" on the Kalyway DVD, just like it's been written in this guide).

So maybe I can get those extra drivers and install them after installing Leopard, and within Leopard?

Ok, got it now. I have seen installation screens from iTkios DVD and i am positive on saying that it does contain itsd own drivers, just like Kalyway, also there is iTkios installation guide somewhere here, you will have to look it up and switch because this is Kaly guide... :unsure:

Just curious, with the new 10.5.2 DVD out now, I see that you aren't going to update the guide atm and I understand. However, I was wonder if we used the new DVD if it would be possible to ommit the following from you guide, but just continue along with it?

Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD ISO (can be downloaded from TPB)

Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo Updater (can be downloaded from TPB)

Kalyway kernels package 10.5.2 (can be downloaded from TPB)

Thanks B)

Just curious, with the new 10.5.2 DVD out now, I see that you aren't going to update the guide atm and I understand. However, I was wonder if we used the new DVD if it would be possible to ommit the following from you guide, but just continue along with it?

Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD ISO (can be downloaded from TPB)

Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo Updater (can be downloaded from TPB)

Kalyway kernels package 10.5.2 (can be downloaded from TPB)

yes, you can skip this steps since Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD already contains 10.5.2 update and kernel... Post your success story here :)

so i got everything together (YAY) but one quick thing. my keyboard isnt working, so i cant go into bios. i've tried f1, f2, esc, del, etc. is it possible that my usb input on my mobo are shot?

on the screen i see a PCI device listing

then "vertifying DMI pool data....

the it tries to boot from cd/dvd and i get a

DISK BOOK FAIL, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

im really new at this so i'd appreciate all your help!

Further digging around on the forums here indicates that deleting AppleHWSensor.kext from extensions might solve the long boot delay with 512Mb 8800GT.

There would also appear to be a solution for the USB problem here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789

I'm going to try these solutions this evening and will report back. Then I'm likely to wipe the hard disk (it's a noisy old one; new one is ordered) and reinstall using 10.5.2 Kalyway...

I just realised that I don't think I've said thank you to pcwiz for a terrific guide, and for spending so much time on here helping folks. So thanks.

Discy

so i got everything together (YAY) but one quick thing. my keyboard isnt working, so i cant go into bios. i've tried f1, f2, esc, del, etc. is it possible that my usb input on my mobo are shot? on the screen i see a PCI device listingthen "vertifying DMI pool data....the it tries to boot from cd/dvd and i get aDISK BOOK FAIL, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTERim really new at this so i'd appreciate all your help!
Are you using bluetooth keyboard to log into BIOS? If yes, switch to regular one for the sake of installation than you will fix that... About boot failure, it looks like leo image is damaged or not properly burned to dvd... make sure you burn it at lowest speed possible and that dvds are not rewritable because they wount work most likely... pcwiz will be able to help more with BIOS and all that :)
Thanks, I hope to post one soon pending I build the system I'm thinking of. Here are the specs on it.
Great set of hardware, i have same case so does pcwiz, i also have same mobo and cpu :) i wanted to go with 86xx gt but decided to go with 76xxgt because its more compatable :P but 86xxgt should be ok to, even though i remember pcwiz mentioning that you will have to install something else to make it work, cant remember... good luck!!!

Are you using bluetooth keyboard to log into BIOS? If yes, switch to regular one for the sake of installation than you will fix that... About boot failure, it looks like leo image is damaged or not properly burned to dvd... make sure you burn it at lowest speed possible and that dvds are not rewritable because they wount work most likely... pcwiz will be able to help more with BIOS and all that :)

no i am using a normal wired usb keyboard but the lights are not even flashing on. i even got a ps2 adaptor and still, nothing.

i tried to boot up from the kalyway cd anyway without changing the bios and i got this

com.apple.boot.plist not found

help? :P:) :)

i am burning the dvd again using disk utility this time at 4x (used toast last time). the torrent i downloaded was KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3 from TPB.

no i am using a normal wired usb keyboard but the lights are not even flashing on. i even got a ps2 adaptor and still, nothing.

i tried to boot up from the kalyway cd anyway without changing the bios and i got this

com.apple.boot.plist not found

help? :):):)

i am burning the dvd again using disk utility this time at 4x (used toast last time). the torrent i downloaded was KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3 from TPB.

your booting error com.apple.boot.plist not found is an indication of bad dvd image... reburn it with low speed check your hash number, and try again... about keyboard, i am not sure why it wount work :P turn off your box replug your keyboard and restart, let us know whats happenening...

Great set of hardware, i have same case so does pcwiz, i also have same mobo and cpu :) i wanted to go with 86xx gt but decided to go with 76xxgt because its more compatable :thumbsup_anim: but 86xxgt should be ok to, even though i remember pcwiz mentioning that you will have to install something else to make it work, cant remember... good luck!!!

Thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I looked at this page and it lists the exact card I have listed (XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI ) as the following:

GeForce 8600GT 256MB XXX XFX

NVinject

QE/CI both work

All resolutions work Yes

I thought about going with a cheaper one and if this one is going to give me issues then I most certainly will choose a different one.