Worst Thing about Macs

Thao

78 posts in this topic

I think the worst thing about Macs is Price + Support + No Games. Otherwise its amazing I love it. But really I'm on a PC right now running Kalyway Leopard working perfectly, even faster then actual Apples (I've used Apples when I was at Futureshop:P).. I spent only about $800 on my system, in brief specs E2160 @ 3.2GHZ, 4GB Memory, 500GB HD, 7600GT, Dvdrw, 19" Widescreen Samsung lcd. I don't game much but sometimes I do like playing games I've tried playing with Parallels and such, but doesn't work even with the other applications, you don't get the same experience. Thats Apples flaw depends on the user though, some people don't game at all. But then theres also Pricing. Mac's are much to expensive for what you get imo. Even the cheapest system your better off getting a PC and overclocking. Anyway just my thoughts, on the plus side Macs look very nice, but too many drawbacks for my taste <_< upgrading is also an issue with Macs.

I think if its possible Mac should try getting all Windows Software/Games working with there upcoming Macs, that will probably be the death of Microsoft imo :P lol. At least for the Towers Mac make they should really start using same hardware as PC.. motherboards etc..

You do know that Nintendo is winning in the console race right now, right? They've sold more than either other system.

Oh yeah, the Wii is winning by a long shot. I suppose I should've rephrased it in that the next console that Nintendo releases must have better specs or it simply can't compete.

The worst thing about apple is the high price of their laptop computers.

The desktop price is fair though !!

Uh...What?

Coach, that's ridiculus...

I bought a Macbook Pro in December (Before Cash-Mas) because the price was lower than that of the Desktop 'I' wanted.

Okay, the the desktop 'I' want is a little more than most...But isn't that why I'm on a OSx86 board now?

Oh...And...Um...Steve Jobs for King!...Yeah Right!

Bring Back WOZ!

The worst thing are those "I think different"-users. Because they don't think at all. Apple decides every thing for the users... the focus model, the color, the design, the behaviour, how something will work or not work.

You'd like to use sloppy focus? Bad luck. You always liked darker themes? Bad luck. You want to do something in a different way than we planned it for you? Bad luck. Yes, you may find someone who found a way to work around it ( and wrote a software and now sells said software ), maybe you can do it yourself... but if you take everything Apples does and say "it's awesome and the only true way" you don't think at all...

In a world where cellphones have a better sound than the mp3 player with the highest marketshare something is wrong.

Another thing I really dislike are those "but it looks so pretty"-people. It's a computer, you work on it, it's not a lifestyle gadget, it's under my desk and I don't really care what it looks like as long as it does what it should do. An apple computer has no higher value for me because it looks "pretty", which is argueable.

I won't go into what I think about the stealing of ideas and software and code and open source and using opensource for own goals and not giving anything back to the opensource community...

Mac OS X is the lesser evil... if I have to choose between Mac OS X and Windows to run certain applications, it will be Mac OS X.

• 2 weeks later...

Personnally...I'm in love with Microsoft, Vista is the best peice of OS they've brought out yet, the SUA, redesigned TCP stack and networking is just amazing. However, it does have it's faults, whatever bugs it currently has and other things. However, it's a great thing to work in if you've ever actually sat down and had a gander or two with it and a massive improvement over all of it's other OS's. (Though I still like xp) Nevertheless, the most recent machine I purchased was a Macbook. I bought it second hand, from a friend of mine who just couldn't get used to the differences. My reasons for buying the machine was for something new. Not because OSX is better, but because for me it's new. I'm an avid *nix user, (accessing via ssh with putty) and having a few machines around the house for developement.

Of course, if we're talking price range formatting my current vista machine and tossin' *nix on there which can only be as good as the time you're willing to put into it to make it exactly how you want. With that said, *nix is 100% open source which limits literally no-one from anything and of course I hope everyone knows here that OSX is really just a fancy unix distro, which if I understand is completely closed off, except for the kernel. Which of course is...completely useless to almost 99% of the mac users

Now, as my opinion for Apple. I hate them, with every faction of me. I buy nothing new from them (no need to argue the indirectness of buying them second hand from people) But Why?

Because Apple is 100% monopoly. There is nothing on mac you can't do without having to deal with mac. Want to buy a mac? gotta buy it from Apple, want to make software for mac? unless you go the open source way, you gotta have some {censored} sdk from mac. Want to get hardware from mac? without voiding warrenty? gotta buy it from mac, and get a mac authorized dealer to do whatever. Here's the best part..

Want to UPGRADE a mac? Buy a new one. Because good {censored} luck trying to upgrade anything and your os still being stable. Is anyone forgetting WHY OSx86 hackintoshes arn't stable? Because the entire mac system is tested and designed to work with specific hardware, not with whatever blow joe has availble.

Let me remind everyone that very few companies (incomparison to all the thousands upon the thousands of companies that sell hardware for pcs) actually work with Microsoft. Yet Windows is made to accommendate every single company out there that has to make their hardware within a very basic set of guidelines.

Where did this craziness about how ugly PCs look in comparison to macs? How can you even compare to the two? Only Apple makes macs.

If I remember right, Microsoft doesn't really do anything past the OS part of the PC world. Except for maybe their Gateway machines. Which lets face it, are just some {censored} emachine anyways.

I know that Apple doesn't make every peice of hardware, and very obviously buy some, most if not all from other companies who, are in direct collaboration with Apple. Mac users are exactly like most *nix users. For some reason both of these users think that their perferred OS is amazing compared to Microsoft and have absolutely no faults.

Let me point out that there isn't ONE *nix distro that can be installed out of the box and have literally EVERYTHING (majority hardware) work. Of course, not every windows machine can either, you'll likely have to install some drivers. But you definately won't have to compile the driver yourself from source. I don't even think that anyone has even gotten webcam to work successfully on *nix. I've yet to met anyone. There is likly people who have, but nevertheless. It's basic things like this that turn people away from *nix. (This is actually the reason for going to mac, it's a *nix platform that everything works on but this is off topic.)

Two things turn me off from mac, a REAL alt+tab system, that changes WINDOWS, not applications, and no actual maximising system without having to drag {censored} everywhere. Even *nix had these two things on the nail YEARS ago.

As for what's his names post about apples prices.

You can buy 4 gigs of ram from apple for if I recall right, 700$ USD, However you can buy sodimm RAM of equal quality and same size, for 101.99$USD

Of course if you don't beleive me, go here and find out for yourself. http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...%2815.4-inch%29

Apple is full of {censored} for over charging 500+$

Please people, Let's keep in mind what kind of companies you're comparing, one who makes and designs literally everything for their machines, the other who just makes the OS and expects everyone else in the world to make the hardware to run it.

With that said, these people can't just make something anyway the feel like it. They have to conform to some sort of standard. (unlike apple) If ASUS wants people to use their motherboards, they have to conform to a system that allows their motherboards to be put into any PC case availble via screws, if Nvidia and ATI want their video cards to be bought by PC users their cards must be able to fit into any PCI, or AGP or whatever peripheral in any motherboard that has that peripheral. Samething with Creative, same thing with anyone who wants to make a harddrive the list just goes on. Now if you're going to go on and say, "it's no different with apple!" Of course it is. Only apple buys the hardware to put in macs, Apple makes the specifications in how they want a peice of hardware made and they just give it off to said companies to do it. Have any of you ever heard of minidvi until the macbooks came around? (not to dispute that it might have existed prior. but again, I've never heard of it until the macbooks that supported it came out, and I'm confident I'm well updated on availble hardware on the market. If companies didn't have to conform to a certain set of guidelines, the entire market would be just a free range. Apple doesn't have to conform to these restrictions, because you can only buy Macs from Apple. (hello monopoly)

With that said, does everyone here seriously beleive that hardware companies worth thousands more than Apple in its entirity COULDN'T design a pretty machine if they wanted to? Why do these sorts of things just seem completely out of touch for people?

First, everyone has their opinion. That's the fantastic thing about all of this. Given that, I will express my opinion about it all :wacko:

If the product is good for the money.. I'll buy it. End of story.

- iPhone

Too expensive for the feature set for me

- iPod (pre-iPhone/Touch)

Decent for the money, very integrated and tons of peripherals and integration into other products

- Zune

Extremely nice feature set for the money.

- Windows CE

Never liked the interface or how the apps run.. seemed too weighted down and slow/clunky (note: I haven't used the latest and greatest smartphones which obviously run faster. maybe it's gotten better)

- Vista

I applaud Microshaft :P for continuing forward... finally. I have not fully used the OS, but I like what I see and what I've experienced so far from friends/in-store comps.

- Xbox

Seems like a decent product. Yeah, the failure rate does suck.. but they were at least open about the problem eventually and replaced units with the problem (yeah I know there were differences on some errors 2 instead of 3 rings.. I'm not getting in to that here). Don't actually own one (or a PS3... OR a Wii. I just don't have the time to really enjoy a console [but I'd buy a Wii if I had a choice :P])

Again, those are my opinions about the products as I see them. If you like a product more than what I do, then I applaud you sir/madam, if your opinions are based on fact/enjoyment/etc and not hype.

To be perfectly honest, I'd really like to see how Apple is selling hardware and not software. It's claimed that they are really selling stability and 'perfection' of hardware that runs their software.. etc. Yes, of course they are selling hardware. That's how they make the most money! That is to say.. I have a computer at home running OSX that is completely stable now. If I can do that.. then why do I need Apple's hardware? The answer, is that I don't. It's all hype. OSX is not a godly OS that will only run properly on Apple's christened hardware. Yes, I agree.. their hardware design and packaging is pretty awesome. They do sell computers that are nice to look at. That being said, Dell sells some amazing looking machines too.

If you break things down to the most simplest of things.. say, one single thing.. it's all clearer. Company's care about one thing, and one thing only... PROFIT MAXIMIZATION. If you can understand and realize this, you can see the many many reasons why a company will produce a product and leave features out. You can also see products for what they really are. I ask you, look past the brand name on a product. Stop seeing things as what they are on the outside and understand what's on the inside. Sound familiar? I hope so.

Seriously.. the world would be a better place.

Personnally...I'm in love with Microsoft, Vista is the best peice of OS they've brought out yet, the SUA, redesigned TCP stack and networking is just amazing. However, it does have it's faults, whatever bugs it currently has and other things. However, it's a great thing to work in if you've ever actually sat down and had a gander or two with it and a massive improvement over all of it's other OS's. (Though I still like xp) Nevertheless, the most recent machine I purchased was a Macbook. I bought it second hand, from a friend of mine who just couldn't get used to the differences. My reasons for buying the machine was for something new. Not because OSX is better, but because for me it's new. I'm an avid *nix user, (accessing via ssh with putty) and having a few machines around the house for developement.

Of course, if we're talking price range formatting my current vista machine and tossin' *nix on there which can only be as good as the time you're willing to put into it to make it exactly how you want. With that said, *nix is 100% open source which limits literally no-one from anything and of course I hope everyone knows here that OSX is really just a fancy unix distro, which if I understand is completely closed off, except for the kernel. Which of course is...completely useless to almost 99% of the mac users

Now, as my opinion for Apple. I hate them, with every faction of me. I buy nothing new from them (no need to argue the indirectness of buying them second hand from people) But Why?

Because Apple is 100% monopoly. There is nothing on mac you can't do without having to deal with mac. Want to buy a mac? gotta buy it from Apple, want to make software for mac? unless you go the open source way, you gotta have some {censored} sdk from mac. Want to get hardware from mac? without voiding warrenty? gotta buy it from mac, and get a mac authorized dealer to do whatever. Here's the best part..

Want to UPGRADE a mac? Buy a new one. Because good {censored} luck trying to upgrade anything and your os still being stable. Is anyone forgetting WHY OSx86 hackintoshes arn't stable? Because the entire mac system is tested and designed to work with specific hardware, not with whatever blow joe has availble.

Let me remind everyone that very few companies (incomparison to all the thousands upon the thousands of companies that sell hardware for pcs) actually work with Microsoft. Yet Windows is made to accommendate every single company out there that has to make their hardware within a very basic set of guidelines.

Where did this craziness about how ugly PCs look in comparison to macs? How can you even compare to the two? Only Apple makes macs.

If I remember right, Microsoft doesn't really do anything past the OS part of the PC world. Except for maybe their Gateway machines. Which lets face it, are just some {censored} emachine anyways.

I know that Apple doesn't make every peice of hardware, and very obviously buy some, most if not all from other companies who, are in direct collaboration with Apple. Mac users are exactly like most *nix users. For some reason both of these users think that their perferred OS is amazing compared to Microsoft and have absolutely no faults.

Let me point out that there isn't ONE *nix distro that can be installed out of the box and have literally EVERYTHING (majority hardware) work. Of course, not every windows machine can either, you'll likely have to install some drivers. But you definately won't have to compile the driver yourself from source. I don't even think that anyone has even gotten webcam to work successfully on *nix. I've yet to met anyone. There is likly people who have, but nevertheless. It's basic things like this that turn people away from *nix. (This is actually the reason for going to mac, it's a *nix platform that everything works on but this is off topic.)

Two things turn me off from mac, a REAL alt+tab system, that changes WINDOWS, not applications, and no actual maximising system without having to drag {censored} everywhere. Even *nix had these two things on the nail YEARS ago.

As for what's his names post about apples prices.

You can buy 4 gigs of ram from apple for if I recall right, 700$ USD, However you can buy sodimm RAM of equal quality and same size, for 101.99$USD

Of course if you don't beleive me, go here and find out for yourself. http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...%2815.4-inch%29

Apple is full of {censored} for over charging 500+$

Please people, Let's keep in mind what kind of companies you're comparing, one who makes and designs literally everything for their machines, the other who just makes the OS and expects everyone else in the world to make the hardware to run it.

With that said, these people can't just make something anyway the feel like it. They have to conform to some sort of standard. (unlike apple) If ASUS wants people to use their motherboards, they have to conform to a system that allows their motherboards to be put into any PC case availble via screws, if Nvidia and ATI want their video cards to be bought by PC users their cards must be able to fit into any PCI, or AGP or whatever peripheral in any motherboard that has that peripheral. Samething with Creative, same thing with anyone who wants to make a harddrive the list just goes on. Now if you're going to go on and say, "it's no different with apple!" Of course it is. Only apple buys the hardware to put in macs, Apple makes the specifications in how they want a peice of hardware made and they just give it off to said companies to do it. Have any of you ever heard of minidvi until the macbooks came around? (not to dispute that it might have existed prior. but again, I've never heard of it until the macbooks that supported it came out, and I'm confident I'm well updated on availble hardware on the market. If companies didn't have to conform to a certain set of guidelines, the entire market would be just a free range. Apple doesn't have to conform to these restrictions, because you can only buy Macs from Apple. (hello monopoly)

With that said, does everyone here seriously beleive that hardware companies worth thousands more than Apple in its entirity COULDN'T design a pretty machine if they wanted to? Why do these sorts of things just seem completely out of touch for people?

disagree with everything you say there. as for the alt-tab thing, Command+Tab to switch programs and Command+~ to switch windows, how is this HARD for you? OS X isnt windows - things are different on it.

How do you disagree with everything? He was right about a lot of it. What it boils down to is this: When you buy a mac you buy looks and "community" when you buy a pc you are buying performance. Period. You can {censored} and moan about 8 cores, but you aren't paying a reasonable price for the hardware, you're paying a "reasonable" price for the case.

That's why the lines are so divided IMO. I think people buying macs are fools. People think I'm a fool for thinking macs are overpriced. It's an endless loop, and I chalk it up to different priorities. I value performance more than looks. I will never buy a mac *for retail price* because of that. If you feel something pretty on your desk is worth the extra $1000 or so compared to a PC, more power to ya, but it's not better, just prettier.

I can disagree with everything he says because he is wrong ;)

I'm not going to dispute that Apple need something in between the iMac and Mac Pro, and that this would be ideal for me, but the Mac Pro is great value for money when I last checked.

PercySock, why are you even on an Apple forum?

this cost-discussion sucks and is mostly just wrong.

why do people go and buy a bmw or porsche if a daihatsu cuore is going forward as well?!

why do people build a home instead of just renting an appartment that's got a roof too?!

why do people go and travel around the world where the park around the corner is nice as well?!

why do people eat outside in an restaurant where micro-wave food at home is food as well!?

there's always a reason to it and "the sizzle sells the steak" or whatever way it goes ;)

this cost-discussion sucks and is mostly just wrong.

why do people go and buy a bmw or porsche if a daihatsu cuore is going forward as well?!

better quality and value for the price, not exactly necessary for computers. apple uses the exact same parts as regular pcs now, right down to the processor. and if you value quality in the case, that is just dumb, because the case offers no increased performance. the mac pros are pretty as hell though.

why do people build a home instead of just renting an apartment that's got a roof too?!

because when you build a home you pay say $1500 a month on a mortgage and will eventually own it. when renting an apartment, you pay anywhere from $800 - $2000 a month for something you will never own and more than likely be told to get out for one reason or the other. plus in square foot to dollar ratio per month, apartments on average are way smaller than a home.

why do people go and travel around the world where the park around the corner is nice as well?!

because the pyramids of Giza are not in the park. because the Kremlin in Moscow is not in the park. because the grand canyon is not in the park. because the great wildernesses of Alaska are not in the park. because the Eiffle Tower is not in the park. because the Chicago Cubs are not in the park. i can go on and on...

why do people eat outside in an restaurant where micro-wave food at home is food as well!?

because it is somewhat easier. i mean my uncle and aunt had a nice huge kitchen and would hold big get togethers and dinners about once a month, but 90% the time they picked something up on the way home, or went out to eat for lunch because they were busy. they did not have the time to even microwave a meal at home, just easier to order out.

there's always a reason to it and "the sizzle sells the steak" or whatever way it goes :)

sorry for the possible bad grammar and non-capitalization, just woke up and feeling lazy

@sdracer...

that's exactly what i was saying... there is JUST ALWAYS a reason to it ;)

speaking of my macbook pro:

1.) pretty long battery uptime

2.) backlighted keyboard

3.) it's pretty slim

4.) works perfectly with osx / windows / linux

5.) quite easy to self-service compared to a couple of hp and sony notebooks i've opened before

6.) it just looks stylish between all those pc-notebooks while sitting in a meeting (always gettin a 'nice!', lol)

definately worth the 200.--300.- bucks more i had to spend as far as i'm concerned and compared to some other notebooks i checked out.

there are simply not so many bad things about macs... mac-pro's should get a wd-raptor as standard, though!

but oh well, i don't care as much about money anyway. there are simply more important things in life!

Well the quote button isn't working and i'm too lazy to figure out what the code would be to do it manually. Nevertheless, command+~ doesn't change {censored} all, it doesn't even bring up a menu such as command+tab. Second, how am I actually wrong Embio, want to actually clarify with some real points? or are you just gonna being the actual kind of person we're talking about on this forum and just say I'm wrong without backing anything up. ?

I'm on this forum because I have a haxintosh and a macbook, did you even read what I posted, being that I clearly stated that I bought a mac.

It's obvious that you actually ARE the exact user that this entire topic is about if you haven't even read my entire post to make a decision that I was wrong.

I think this is the reason why people hate users like you.

If you hate macs your in the wrong place. OS X and Apple are simply awesome and that is a fact that everyone will learn either the hard way or the easy-way.

Dont get me wrong I am not anti Microsoft, I got my first taste of OS X and Apple Style on my PC what Seems like so many years ago. Since then I snort it every day.

• 2 weeks later...

<_<-_-

why do people build a home instead of just renting an appartment that's got a roof too?!

On the face of it - convincing.

However

1. BMW's & PORSCHES are proven to have more powerful engines inside the casing (not so with a MAC)

2. HOMES are highly customisable (not so with the MAC hardware)

3. TRAVELLING expands your horizons and you experience a great variety of customs (not so with the closed MAC experience)

4. My home cooking goes far beyond Micro-wave - (restaurants are not good value)

I must disagree with you, unohoo. I find that my iMac Core 2 Duo is much faster than the Dual-Core Pentiums that I have at school. Also if you look at all the cables that are behind my school computers, you can probably see why I'm trying to convince my school to get iMacs. And Macs are customisable. You just have to get the right ones as it would be very difficult to add PCI cards to a Mac mini or an iMac. However if you look at the Mac Pro or the Power Mac you will be able to upgrade the Mac as much as you like. Also I don't feel "closed" when I use the Macintosh Operating System. In fact I feel more restricted using Windows. I can't really think off the top of my head why, but I know I do. I feel I can do more on a 1999 iMac G3 than a 2007 Windows computer.

Sure there are a lot of Mac lovers out there with comments like,

micro$oft windows is teh sux macintosh is so much betta in that windoze crashez and freezez all teh time and all so ya macintosh ownz all of micro$haft winblowz

Of course that does get annoying at times especially when they mess up the spelling of Microsoft or Windows but still with a lot of the Windows computers I use, it's true. It may just be the hardware or the drivers but either way, I can get a lot of things done quicker on a Mac than on Windows.

Really, the bottom line is I think Mac is better than Windows, I just try not to go around saying the aforementioned quote.

My comments were a bit tongue-in-cheek - something to do with the fact that I personally would not shell out loadsamoney for the illusion of power & quality. I would feel like one of life's suckers at the mercy of some Ad campaign. But I do not frown on those who shell out the same for their Ferrari lookalikes. Every Mac owner I have come across has moaned about the degradation over time in the previous Mac operating system forcing them to rave about the recent Mac operating system. And so it goes on. Something delusional going on there. Or maybe it has got to do with the fact that my eldest brother is a raving Liverpool supporter plus a raving Mac enthusuiast (the worst of combinations I assure you!!!!)

I must disagree with you, unohoo. I find that my iMac Core 2 Duo is much faster than the Dual-Core Pentiums that I have at school

Remember that a home computer does not suffer from the considerable network overhead of a school/college box. Also in heavy multi-user scenarios the OS (Windows obviously) is being exposed to masses of personal USB devices - something which Microsoft did not envisage as it can prevent boot up of its OS never mind performance. Our Mac open access suites are not as popular (hmm I wonder why?) so they don't get pummelled as much - so the Apple OS has not been thoroughly tested in the same manner. The typical Mac drone would point that up as a reason in favour of Mac - duh!

Customisable? I would say that the Hac OS X is the most customisable version of Apple builds- and even that suffers from lack of hardware support

My bottom line is this - If I was forced to shell out loadsamoney for a Windows box sold only from the Microsoft factory I would want it to be valued in terms of power & performance - NOT design. I would not want to know that comparable power & peformance was available at a lower price. What would be the point in that?

If Design is your main criterion then sure go ahead but please don't raise the technology argument - it just doesn't wash. Being a Windows user I couldn't give a monkeys about design. My Windows builds do nothing to enhance the ambience of my loft and long may it continue.

so.... my question here is why does this discussion need to take place? I know my fair share of Microsoft fanboys that bash apple and apple users all the time and i don't go around to Microsoft forums and {censored} about it. seriously people... grow the f--- up. So what if i buy a Mac because i like the style of the case? is that such an awful thing? its my money, i'll do whatever the hell i want with it. if you want to use an ugly ass beige box for your powerhorse machine, more power to ya. i'm not gonna go around and {censored} and moan about the fact that you're computer is ugly as hell but has the same components in it that mine has. i guess this is the liberal side of me coming out.

to each their own. quit bitching.