Mac users' opinion on Hackintoshs

syruppie

189 posts in this topic

1) Apple = 100% pc parts nowadays If paying over the top for a bunch of OEM products in a shiny case is your thing, go right ahead.

2) the 1500 euro = 25000 dollars sentence is known as a "joke". Joke = trying to be funny by exaggeration and/or nonsense. Try a few it's fun :P

So hold on a minute, do you think Apple just stick it in a premade cheap case like PC's?, so the design of the iMac where the hardware is in the screen doesn't cost more than a PC case?

It's not like PC makers charge the same prices for all their parts, go get HP memory and see how much they charge you.

So hold on a minute, do you think Apple just stick it in a premade cheap case like PC's?, so the design of the iMac where the hardware is in the screen doesn't cost more than a PC case?

It's not like PC makers charge the same prices for all their parts, go get HP memory and see how much they charge you.

Don't know about the UK but many many people here in Germany build their own pc's as that's a lot cheaper than getting prebuild one. I do it myself too of course. Here is the list of the functional equivalent of an base model imac. It's not to be pendentic, it's just to show how cheap pc parts are nowadays :

I am aware that the end results looks much less appealing than a shiny new imac, however there are advantages too. Something wrong, change the component. Want more add more and so on. pLus most components have a way longer warranty than apple's.

- 20inch tn screen : 171 euro

- keyboard + mouse : 20 euro

- 1gb ddr2-667 : 18 euro

- 250gb sata harddisk : 47 euro

- dvd writer : 28 euro

- ati hd2400xt : 35 euro

- webcam, bluetooth, wireless receiver : 50 euro total

- 2 crappy speakers : 19 euro

- core2duo 2ghz boxed : 105

- p35-775 motherboard 65 euro

- miditower 350watt : 34 euro

there is your functional equivalent of the base model imac for 592 euro's, or half price. If you want to have peace of mind add 129 euro for a legal copy of leopard.

All prices are inclusive 19% german sales tax.

Again i do not aim to offend, just to show how much more you pay just for the nice case.

Don't know about the UK but many many people here in Germany build their own pc's as that's a lot cheaper than getting prebuild one. I do it myself too of course. Here is the list of the functional equivalent of an base model imac. It's not to be pendentic, it's just to show how cheap pc parts are nowadays :

I am aware that the end results looks much less appealing than a shiny new imac, however there are advantages too. Something wrong, change the component. Want more add more and so on.

- 20inch tn screen : 171 euro

- keyboard + mouse : 20 euro

- 1gb ddr2-667 : 18 euro

- 250gb sata harddisk : 47 euro

- dvd writer : 28 euro

- ati hd2400xt : 35 euro

- webcam, bluetooth, wireless receiver : 50 euro total

- 2 crappy speakers : 19 euro

- core2duo 2ghz boxed : 105

- p35-775 motherboard 65 euro

- miditower 350watt : 34 euro

there is your functional equivalent of the base model imac for 592 euro's, or half price. If you want to have peace of mind add 129 euro for a legal copy of leopard.

All prices are inclusive 19% german sales tax.

Again i do not aim to offend, just to show how much more you pay just for the nice case.

Your just not getting what I'm saying, it's not the point you can build your own and it's cheap. You pay Apple for building it, testing it, designing it and manufacturing it, they will always charge more based on how they manufacture it, costs and need to make a profit. Do you happen to know what prices Apple get their CPU from Intel for?, cheapwe than PC's, do they have to pay more because they dont buy in bulk as many as OEM PC makers?

I just ordered 8GB of memory for my Hackintosh for $126 after rebate!

First of all.. you suck, and I'm jealous.

Second, and more on-topic, I'm almost for both sides.

I used to own a FW800 Dual 1.25 MDD till I sold it on eBay to buy my hackintosh parts :rolleyes:

Are Macs overpriced? I'd say so. Even after paying the overpriced amount, is it worth it? To most, yes.

Hackintosh's, though, are getting more and more 100% stable/supported(driver-wise, etc.). You can even overclock them much easier since you control all of the hardware (If you're in to that sort of thing).

In the end, paying less for more is what it's all about.

To some, though.. the Apple {censored} just tastes better if it comes in a pretty package.

It's funny how the hackintosh people are saying they can run OS X on a PC cheaper than a Mac, yer I can make a car like a ferrari to only quarter of the price. :censored2:

Most of the hackintosh people have no intension of buying a Mac, so it's a null and void comment.

It's funny how the hackintosh people are saying they can run OS X on a PC cheaper than a Mac, yer I can make a car like a ferrari to only quarter of the price. :censored2:

Most of the hackintosh people have no intension of buying a Mac, so it's a null and void comment.

Except that I owned a Mac and paid full price for it.. and enjoyed it even. So my comment still counts :P

The reason that I say that I'm almost for both sides, is that if I had the money to burn, I'd gladly buy a Mac from Apple over a Hackintosh.

Buying a Hackintosh, however, let's me buy more than salt and crackers for dinner... or, relistically, lets me blow the rest of the money on {censored} I don't need :blink:

To me, a PC is whatever you make it to be.

You make it to run Windows on it, okay, Windows computer.

Linux? It's a linux computer then.

Osx86? A Hackintosh then, or an osx86 computer.

You don't have to agree with me though, I'm just throwing my 2 cents.

Though I'm personally satisfied with Windows.

I like Vista, but I've had trouble installing it (some problem with having AMD Live! enabled.) My copy is a Vista Home Premium OEM Upgrade which requires installing it twice (or installing XP first.) Once installed swapping Vista to different hardware has worked well--though calling Microsoft everytime for re-activation is annoying. With all the cheap memory, I do wish I had an x64 version of Vista--though Vista probably doesn't need more than 2GB, unlike OSX.

The basic Tiger install is faster and fairly easy--which is good since I've had to do it so many times. The lack of an activation scheme is a big positive for using OSX on any hardware.

It's getting to the point on PCs, 3-4 gb of ram is becoming the standard. Slowly, you have to think of something though. Let's say you're running the real tiger on a real mac, then you're limited to running it on certain macs.(g4 and up) Let's say you've downloaded Osx86, well really installing it is easy, getting drivers/kexts right is annoying. Plus, you didn't buy the OS if it's osx86. Where as Windows, you've bought the Os and have a number of different hardware configurations where you can run it on.

AMD Live! is terrible though...=\ I'll say that.

The problem is that many people view owning a Mac as a status elevator. Like owning Oakley sunglasses back in the 90's (and how "true" owners scoffed at all the people with the knockoffs) the cost of production was the same and the quality wasnt any different.

Yeah, this is actually the one thing that annoys me about some (not all) mac users, people who feel that by owning a mac, they are better than other people, i feel like saying.....for god sake its only a computer!! its doesnt change who you are, and besides you shouldnt look down on anybody for anything.

I guess thats just society though, people will always try and elevate themselves above others, whether they deserve to or not....{censored} flows downhill and nobody likes getting shat on.

You get the same with any designer product though, some bmw drivers think they drive the best car in the world, some mac owners think they use a superior computer to others and some rolex owners think they are wearing solidified angel dust on their wrist. When infact they are all just products with a good brand name and a marketing budget to back it up.

Yes they may be good products, and yes they may be perfectly suited to you or your image but that doesnt mean everybody else should aspire to own one.

I bought my mac because im a designer(we use em allot) and a bit of an ocd perfectionist, this doesnt mean that osx is perfect but its perfect for me. And it certainly doesnt mean im going to look down on a windows user, there are more important things in life to worry about rather than inter-operating system rivallrys.

Yeah, this is actually the one thing that annoys me about some (not all) mac users, people who feel that by owning a mac, they are better than other people, i feel like saying.....for god sake its only a computer!! its doesnt change who you are, and besides you shouldnt look down on anybody for anything.

I guess thats just society though, people will always try and elevate themselves above others, whether they deserve to or not....{censored} flows downhill and nobody likes getting shat on.

You get the same with any designer product though, some bmw drivers think they drive the best car in the world, some mac owners think they use a superior computer to others and some rolex owners think they are wearing solidified angel dust on their wrist. When infact they are all just products with a good brand name and a marketing budget to back it up.

Yes they may be good products, and yes they may be perfectly suited to you or your image but that doesnt mean everybody else should aspire to own one.

I bought my mac because im a designer(we use em allot) and a bit of an ocd perfectionist, this doesnt mean that osx is perfect but its perfect for me. And it certainly doesnt mean im going to look down on a windows user, there are more important things in life to worry about rather than inter-operating system rivallrys.

+1

i totally agree.

To me, a PC is whatever you make it to be.

You make it to run Windows on it, okay, Windows computer.

Linux? It's a linux computer then.

Osx86? A Hackintosh then, or an osx86 computer.

You don't have to agree with me though, I'm just throwing my 2 cents.

This is the correct way of looking at it.

A computer is a PC.

There is the Macintosh Computer, The Windows Computer (which has several OEM's) and The Linux computer (FreeBSD also, etc)

They all essentially do the same thing. It's all about who puts together the better package, and who sucks the least (because every OS sucks).

For example: Sure, Apple makes the best laptops, but HP makes better TabletPC's (and Windows is a way better Tablet OS than OS X). Fanboys may cry: "BUT APPLE DOESN'T HAVE A TABLET PC :) " -- and who's fault is that?

We all have different needs, and each OEM (Apple, Dell, HP, etc) all have a responsibility to fulfill those needs -- whether its features, budget, etc.

Now, looking at OSX86, it is showing that Apple can't fulfill the needs of the budget conscience computer users. For power users, the Mac Mini is simply not enough -- so they build a computer to their needs to run OS X/Windows/Linux.

My $0.02.

Also, Forceman, where do you get those dock indicators? Are they real?

I was a Mac user before becoming a Hackintosh users, and love my Hackintosh for it's £ vs performance. I've had 2 low end Macbooks, an original 1.83 CS and then the upgraded base model 2.0GB C2D (after selling the 1.83 to my parents).

I do tend to swap between machines depending on what I'm playing with;

- the hackintosh is running the off an official Macbook HDD as I've upgrade the Macbook(s) so hasn't a load of space, but used for Web, garagesale, and itunes streaming.

- the Macbook is my primary machine, running my various Unix and Windows VM's + core apps, etc

I would hate to break the hack, but I enjoy the tweaking and finding out how OS X and hence how my Macbook works. It' helps me understand EFI, plus gives me exposure to OSX syncing (next plan is to build a dotmac server). Plus is great to buy a new machine, overclock it and learn again what hardware works well together.

If Apple made a headless machine that run with a decent graphics card, that didn't cost a fortune I would replace the hack, but for those times I want to play in WinXP I need the performance.

I don't like all in ones as they can't down graded to servers in the future, my hack will be.

Long live Hackintosh! I wouldn't have build you if I wasn't a OSX user :D

oh BIG WOW! I'm currently running my hackintosh without *ANY* HDD. :angel:

Put it sleep last night. Opened the case, removed the drive and power it up. Confused me completely as I'm holding the OS X drive in my hand, but OSX is still on my screen :o

Everything that was running is still running, aka terminal, finder, firefox, but browsering the HDD amazing isn't working :)

Try that on windows!

• 4 weeks later...

When apple bought emagic they fvcked a lot of PC users. I have two quad core PCs here that I built with quality components and they both cost less together than a mac pro tower.. I could give a {censored} LESS about having the lame looking keyboard and one button mouse and "sexy case" - I just don't want to spend more money when I have two perfectly good machines with the same general components a mac has to run a simple program. To buy a $2K machine that is the same as two other machines I have is ridiculous to me.

For me, this is actually a loaded question.

Yes, the "deadmoo" image of OSX86 rekindled my interest in Mac. As it came time to replace my PCs, I did so with Macs. I didn't do it because of some anti-Microsoft, pro-black turtleneck zeal. Having worked with both Windows and Linux long enough, I was intrigued by the "it just works" mentality. I guess I worked through all my computer tinkering urges.

We could list all the pros and cons of Apple hardware but they would all be subjective. The fact of the matter is Apple hardware subsidizes Apple Software. The development of OS X is heavily dependent on the sale of the hardware. In my opinion, the Hackintosh phenomenon has probably done as much in way of advertising as the clever "I'm a Mac!" ads. However, there is a point of diminished returns.

I'm not some industry analyst. I really don't know what the future holds. Pervasive piracy is having an impact and to think The Digital Age really hasn't even hit its stride yet. This should prove interesting.

Wow.. I got into a heated debate with my buddy last night.

It all started out with me complementing how beautiful the new mac keyboard is from this picture of someone using it with his "PC".

to his statement of hackintoshes are "ghetto"..

Direct Quotes:

Is this really how Mac users feel? I was going to install MAC OSX on my pc for fun.. but am I supposed to feel ashamed of it?

But it's also true I can't afford a mac because I can't justifying spending 2,800 bucks for the same gear I can get for 1,500. So any comments on this are definitely welcome.

those quotes are perfect examples of ppl thinkin' that they are better than other ppl 'cause they can afford to waste, i mean spend money on macs. i would have told him to put his money where his mouth is and BUY ME A MAC. until then, i will do with my money what i want to do even if that includes buildin' a hackintosh.

^this is my opinion so don't flame me for it. i may not even visit this thread again and respond to flames anyways...

fyi, imho, most ppl are just jealous that they cannot build their own hackintosh. i've built my own pc, does this make my pc less of a pc than a hp or a dell???

who cares what they think on macrumours, just tell them to come to your house and say it to your face. ok, don't do this, some ppl might call you on my bluff that i say all the time (another one of my "opinions").

The guy is an idiot. All offense meant there. Tell him to take a look at newegg.com or tigerdirect.com. Then guide him to the various components in a mac, point out that you can build a faster mac than apple can, and for far less than apple charges. Without the PPC to hide behind, the truth is pretty obvious to anyone willing to look: Apple gouges the hell out of their hardware buyers.

His attitude is that of the guy who just bought a Viper for $80,000 talking down on the guy who just built a Cobra kit car for $30,000. The kit car cost less and is faster in all respects.

so true, i'm into imports and i can point to supras and rx-7's in many magazines that can own the viper. but they probably have $40,000-$80,000 in upgrades in their car.

Flower- a hackintosh is a pc running mac osx.

Personally i think its a good idea, its more users on the platform and its a good stepping stone into full on mac hardware.

The reason i am building a hackintosh is because, if i go and buy a macpro, 3 months down the road it could be obsolete....thats it game over.

But with a hackintosh, if a new processor comes out or a new motherboard is available, i dont have to trade in my system and buy a new one, i can just upgrade my old one.

Also, as a designer, if you give me two options, (forgetting about price) build or buy something, i will generally choose build everytime.

that is the main reason that keeps me from savin' for a mac pro for music production (besides the price). i can build my own pc so i would rather buy a new mb and processor from apple when it comes time to upgrade my mac pro... but steve jobs wants me to buy a new mac pro and not upgrade it. yea, i can upgrade some things on a mac pro but i seriously doubt that apple would sell me a new mb if i have happen to have an outdated mac pro.