Mac users' opinion on Hackintoshs

syruppie

189 posts in this topic

I own a iMac 2.4 Ghz and a Macbook 2.0 Ghz and one Q6600 Hackintosh. I built the Hack because I needed a powerful "MacPro" but with PCI expansion slots instead of PCIe slots. Buying a MacPro AND a Magma chassi should be a VERY expensive solution so a Hack was a perfect and interesting way to go. The difference beetween a real Mac and a Hack is more a feeling in your head ( at least for me...) that it is a little more stable with the real thing, you can upgrade systems without worries and so on but in real life the Hack is performing as good as the real thing. Reading and writing to the DVD burner is even faster on my Hack. For most of us, I guess it is a little less expensive way to run OSX than buying the original, except for one model, the MacPro 8 core which is hard to build with tighter budget than the Apple asking price.

When the dual Octo MacPro comes out ( probably late 2009 ) I will buy one of them but until then I will go with my smoothly running Q6600 hack.

Well, I have always enjoyed monkeying around with computers and got into the hackintosh scene because I was hearing a bunch of rukus about how much better the Mac Operating System was. This peaked my curiosity. Not having additional funds to sink into a used or new mac or even a computer to test hackintosh on. I had a IBM T30 laptop in my possession. It had 2 gigs memory, 60 gig 7200 RPM HD(8 MB buffer) and a CD/DVD burner. I decided to use it as a test machine. The only thing that I purchased for this experiment was a Dell TrueMobile 1370 Wireless WiFi Card - DW1370. What happened? Everything pretty much worked after a little tweaking and fine tuning. US Robotics External Modem worked with dialup internet, wirless card was detected as an airport(WPA and WEP worked), DVD burner played and burned DVDS. Were there any problems. Yeah, I had to downgrade memory from 2 gig to 1 gig to prevent frequent system lockups and I know that this was due to a software limitation imposed by the OSX as memory tested fully funtional and the same did not occur with 2 gig memory in Ubuntu 8.04 and Windows XP . Time was out of sync but I was able to fix this. And finally USB ports worked but OSX would only show one flash drive plugged in even when two were plugged in. Again this was due to some software limitation as both flash drives fully displayed with Win Xp and Ubuntu 8.04. Having said that Xbench Score of 22.38 and Geekbench Score of 984(813 in Windows XP if cross platform comparisons are valid) pretty much puts the IBM T30 laptop at par with a Apple Power mac/book G4. My IBM T30 costed me $350 and a used Apple Power mac/book G4 sells for $350-$400. The big difference being that the G4 has less than 1/2 the memory of my IBM T30 and a hard drive that is considerably smaller, plus I can swap the removable ultra bay DVD burner for an additional battery to increase battery life for my IBMt30; something that I cannot do with a G4. The biggest difference and for me that makes the IBM T30 the clear winner is that can run triple boot with Ubuntu 8.04, xXx 10.4.11, and WinXp. Something that I would never be able to achieve with a $350-400 G4. Make a long story short, relatively speaking hakintosh on a IBM T30 gives me more bang for my buck than a comparably priced used Powermac G4. Take it FWIW, just my 2 cents.

P.S. Lol, my "machugging" friend at work, says that my creation is nothing more that the equivalent of a Frankenstein and I should just bite the bullet and get a real Macbook. All I can say to that is: "It is alive", "it is alive!"; Mouhahahaha!

For me, the Hackintosh scene comfirms beyond a doubt what I always suspected: the diehard Apple fanboi base are among the tech world's biggest bunch of conformists.

This is evidenced the most when you see someone express an interest in creating a Hackintosh out of curiosity, need, lack of funds for an Apple Mac, or whatever- the conformists just can't help but jump in and yell, "why don't you stop it with all that blasphemy! Do only what Jobs commands of us, buy a real Mac!"

All the 'Think Different' rhetoric is just that- spin from a large corporation that blatantly desires to have it's biggest fans doing anything but actually thinking differently when it comes to hardware. The overwhelming requirement is that everybody think the same, and that no one litterally think outside of a box.

The Hackintosh crowd is at it's core, mostly for and about people who are litterally "out of box" thinkers when it comes to "what is a Mac" and what is Mac hardware. They're thinking outside of the Apple plantation of 3 or 4 'approved' designs and creating and using thier own.

Everyone's OS X experience doesn't have to happen inside a strictly controlled and limited design, dictated by someone else. A true tech enthusiast, (Mac or PC oriented) I think can understand that. The Apple fanboi' types, IE: the Think Same conformists, don't seem able to.

All too often, all of this boils down to people's desire to make things into: "in order to enjoy what I have, I must compare it negatively to something else", rather than see things as different tools, for different needs. I can't count how many times I've seen a fanboi relate how much they love thier Mac or whatever not so much on the basis of it being great in and of itself, but how they percieve it compares with a PC or with Windows, or in this case a Hackintosh.

Apple made Macs are awesome machines for what they are, sure. But a good, custom built PC running OS X can easily be an awesome machine also, with very distinct advantages. It takes nothing away from your Apple Mac. It exists, not in competition with or opposition to your Mac, but as just another option that now exists because someone actually WAS thinking differently.

My opinion is that I will use my hackintosh forever, I bought leopard and I don't intent to buy a Mac. I really don't care if someone has something to say about that, everyone has their own opinion and can express it the way they want, I think Macs are overpriced. Trust me, I'm not the type that believes that Macs are "Crappy computers in pretty boxes". I just think that PCs are more upgradable, and I prefer that. Its ok if someone thinks that Mac OS X should be on a Mac only.

But heres a fact:

It doesnt matter what people say, whether it be "Mac OS X should be on a Mac" or "I think that Mac OS X is great on a PC, and I shouldn't have to buy a Mac".

Its simple, its all opinion. No opinion is right! Its all a simple matter of preference and opinion. And even if Apple says that Mac OS X belongs on a PC, they may have been the designers of Mac OS X and their computers and software, but its still an opinion no matter what. Just a opinion of their company.

Besides, they had to develop on custom built PCs if I'm not mistaken. :(

And by the way, aren't "Macs" just PCs in the end with a different Operating System from out of the factory and EFI instead of BIOS? HP uses EFI on some of their servers anyway. But of course not exactly like Apple.

I think a lot of real Mac users probably hear about hackintoshes and think "whats the point?". Apple actively targets the non techie user who want a quality computer with software "that just works" out of the box. Apple wants you to think of your computer / phone / portable music player in the same way you think of other appliances - you shouldn't need a manual to understand the basics for using it and they should "just work" reliably, all the time without requiring much technical knowledge of HOW they work.

Apple continue to excel at designing and implementing interfaces for their products, and to my mind is what sets them apart from other PC / electronics companies. Part of achieving the ease of use and reliability is maintaining tight control over the integration between hardware and the software that runs on it.

You can build a Hackintosh cheaper in parts than a real Mac, but what people don't tend to cost is the time keeping it updated / running. Maybe if you have a lot of time on your hands then this is not an issue, but for most people time is even more important that saving a few dollars (I know it is for me). Ultimately I think this is why Mac users probably look at the hackintosh and just don't understand why you would bother with all the hassle.

I have built my own PC's for years, and its rarely been cheaper than buying an off the shelf Dell or similar, but then thats not why I did it. I did it to learn about how the computer works so I can fix it and upgrade it myself initially, and also because I could build a machine that has exactly the features and quality of components I want.

Over the last few years I've moved from XP to Linux for my home computers, but I no longer have the inclination to troubleshoot package installs, spend time trying to find the right codec to play content X or Y, jump through hoops to get my smartphone to sync with my calendar/contacts in muliple locations. I work with computers day in day out, (Linux, XP), and have reached the stage now where at home I just want to sit down at my machine and get on with using it to get things done, and I want to have access to my information and be able to update it from multiple machines / devices in different ways reliably.

From a technical viewpoint I think the OSx86 project is an amazing achievement, and for me it has offered the unique opportunity to really "try before I buy" and give OSX a thorough test to make sure it can do what I want. I only upgrade my main home PC every 18months , and unfortunately for me I am only 6 months into having put together a brand new machine designed to run Linux (Centos 5). I will almost definitely now look at a Mac Pro in a years time when it comes time to upgrade.

As a result of my Hackintosh experience I ended up getting a Mac Mini as a PC upgrade for my wife (along with a nano), an appleTV and a couple of apple keyboards.

I think the thing that is often forgotten is that to experience real Mac ownership does not have to mean paying full Apple RRP prices. All the apple stuff I have bought has come from the refurb store and is as good as new, but with at least 25% discount (some items 35%) and full apple warranty. I upgraded the mac mini to max memory for a fraction of the apple price using guaranteed no hassle crucial memory.

When it comes time to purchase the Mac Pro it will also be a refurb with the likes of a Crucial memory upgrade and will most likely cost not much more than the same spec PC components (recently UK refurb store had low spec Mac Pros at 65% off RRP - if you know how to upgrade memory and CPU, this is a great deal).

Apple does have a hole in its product line up though - an upgradeable desktop that can run a twin DVI monitor setup. For me 2 monitors is essential, and is now a very affordable and useful option for a lot of people that don't want or can't afford to pay Mac Pro prices.

Well, I'm one of the ones who have come into this from the other-end so to speak, from an iMac to a Hackingtosh. The Hackingtosh next to me, although technically the same spec as my iMac, far out performs it, even though the hardware would be considered 'generic'. Aesthetically, my Hackingtosh is a beast. Was it fun to get running - for sure (even more fun than Linux tinkering!). Sadly my Hackingtosh is reaching its final hours (soon to be Vista'd and sold off).

There is obviously a need in the market for a license of osx86 that can be used on non-Apple hardware, maybe leaving the hardware compatibility issues in the hands of those brave enough to venture down this path. This forum certainly shows what is possible!

For me, I'll be sticking with my beloved iMac.

Most people said it already, but yea. I'll chip in :)

I looked at OS X briefly on a normal desktop PC and sometime later I bought a Macbook (non-pro). I purged the PC of OS X way before that so you can't really say one lead to the other.

Subsequently (3 months later) I traded the macbook in for a DeLL laptop which has been my great love :)

Recently I was contemplating on which laptop to select for study purposes, as my "main" laptop runs Linux, and will stay that way. I was close to getting a Macbook Pro with the highest configuration they had (save the ram, but screen-wise, cpu etc, you bet) -- I didn't and I went ahead and got another DeLL laptop instead.

What I'm trying to say here is. If you ever encounter a Mac user who scoffs at your hackingtosh, then disregard him. He's obviously either not competent enough to build one of his own or maybe he's trying to justify that obscene amount of cash he forked over for what is basically off-the-shelf hardware.

Take a look around. Apple laptops suffer from just as many (if not more) glaring issues than medium to high range Dells, Lenovo's and Sony's. You aren't getting sub-par hardware when going with a respected PC vendor (and not getting their absolute bottom-end lappy/desktop), you're only getting a sub-par os.

That's really the cream, the justification, isn't it ? Not many like XP, it's horribly outdated and not very stable in the long term. Vista is suffering from a lot of Phone-home software that interferes with your privacy and it hogs resouces - two things people *don't* like.

That's probably why the Macs are so popular now, people seek an alternative to Windows.

Whether or not they do so via Apple's store or OSX86 shouldn't really count.

As for me, personally, OS X was ok'ish, it certainly was quick to boot and quite stable. But it felt like a watered-down Linux to me so I went back to what *I* like. And to each his own! :P

In summary: Don't let them tell you that it's only a question of money. If you really wanted the most expensive laptop available, you'd take an Alienware anyway :P -- Oh, and use whatever works for ya!

I first used Macs in jr. high typing class. Some fruity G3's and one that I don't even care to know how old they were.

In HS everything was mac. G3's up to G5 iMacs then my sr year 1:1 laptops with the 1st rev macbooks.

I used to hate everything Apple with a passion. If you told me I would own a Mac I would tell you to get lost.

Several things working together started to change my mind. I found ways around some of the annoyances of OS X, the transition to Intel, and me growing up a little. :)

I built a hackintosh with the first recommended build, Asus P4dual, Celeron D 2.93 that I still have with 10.5.1

My HP laptop was my main rig forever and I knew my next one would be a Macbook (pro) for several reasons. I knew the Pro wasn't really worth the price, but there were enough little things that I made the splurge since it would be my main machine.

Now I'm finding that there are times when I would like a little more power or don't want to leave it under full load for hours at a time. There's no way I can afford a Mac Pro. I can build a quad core rig for 700 bucks including an 8800gt. If I ever get some spare cash that's what I plan on doing, and I plan on running OS X.

Apple really doesn't have a machine for people who need a little extra power but don't need/can't afford a MP. That and there's still the geek side of me that likes messing with things. It is nice to have a machine that's always ready to use though.

Although Apple is generally higher than what you could buy or build another machine for it's all in what you expect. The design of their laptops is superb. One thing I wish more manufacturers would adopt, at least in their higher up lines, is to start adopting standards quicker. Every Mac comes standard with gigabit ethernet and wireless N. I'm not sure I've seen another laptop with gigabit even an option. And why, in 2008, is it so hard to get a machine with DVI?

Wow.. I got into a heated debate with my buddy last night.

It all started out with me complementing how beautiful the new mac keyboard is from this picture of someone using it with his "PC".

to his statement of hackintoshes are "ghetto"..

Direct Quotes:

Is this really how Mac users feel? I was going to install MAC OSX on my pc for fun.. but am I supposed to feel ashamed of it?

But it's also true I can't afford a mac because I can't justifying spending 2,800 bucks for the same gear I can get for 1,500. So any comments on this are definitely welcome.

Hello.

Personally, I feel that if you like the technical challenge, building a Hackintosh and getting it to function well would be a superb learning experience. If you can do so, it indicates a great deal of technical knowledge and skill.

If you want another "learning experience" you could try selling some in quantity. This will teach you all about Product Support, Profit Margins and Apple's Legal Department. :thumbsup_anim:

I feel that your premise is faulty though. You are assuredly NOT going to build a $2800 Mac for $1500. It may look similar on paper, but it will not be remotely close when it comes to real-world performance. And what about resale value on a Hackintosh? Good luck on getting ANYTHING for it.

You will not save very much money by building your own Mac. But you can learn a lot by doing so.

Have Fun,

Keri

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree that you won't save money by building your own Hackintosh. I am running os x on my custom built desktop, as well as my laptop and they both work perfectly. My desktop has 1TB of Hard drive space, as well as an 880GTS 512MB. I think overall I've spent about 600 bucks, since I've bought everything that is in it on sale, mostly from newegg. I would love to see a mac for 600 bucks with that sort of specs. I've got my own custom watercooling that keeps my hack plenty cool, and quiet to boot. Building a hackintosh is not only fun and educational, but in the long run it can save you alot of money. Why buy overpriced hardware from apple when all they're using nowadays is generic hardware. You have to remember, its not the old days when they used custom hardware.

hackintosh...hemm...

the best way for newbie for learn about Mac OS...

ithink, if newbie learn hackintosh well, they will buy real "Apple Computer" soon

(with a real Mac OS of course)... :P

*but until today, i can't buy mac because is to expensive for me... :(:(<_<

• 4 weeks later...

I am a Mac user.

Plain and simple I am a Mac user, I have been since 1991, I have owned 12 Apple computers that I can count right now. I have owned one Windows PC and it was for work. I have never switched over to Windows. I still own a MacBook Pro and have zero interest in trying to get OS X working on a non Apple Laptop. I will probably always own an Apple laptop.

This year marks some change for me. I tried running Linux, and I think it is a joke. OS X has replaced Linux. The only difference is that you do not have to legally pay for Linux and things are much more complicated than they need to be. $130 dollars for Leopard is a bargain, and a five user license (family pack) for $199 is a bargain as well.

However my desktop is a different situation. I sold my G5 a year or so ago, and I have been with out an Apple desktop computer. I was debating buying an iMac this year, but the iMac has many limitations especially coming from a desktop machine. Also the Mac Pro is too much machine for what I need. I decided to build the machine that Apple has refused to build. A simple low cost desktop machine will all the Apple flair and style. I went to my local Apple reseller and picked up a quicksilver G4 case (that they were going to throw out - freebie), and I still have a 20 inch cinema display. The install was super easy and I am extremely happy with the results.

That said, for a desktop computer Apple is now facing some serious competition, and not from Microsoft. As far as notebook computers, I will stick with Apple. The machines just look better, and they run all the hardware in a laptop I will ever need, and the pricing it fine by me. A comparable PC laptop will cost the same.

I think I would avoid the hacintosh if Apple would make the product I want. Until then I will probably continue to run a Hackmac and a MacBook Pro.

Now that I have Leo running almost perfectly on my homebrew PC I finally have the Mac I never realised I wanted. It's the one Apple never tried to sell me.

Bottom line is that Apple desktops are either too little or too much for my needs. There isn't enough variety in the range. PC users are spoiled for choice when it comes to hardware so it's hard to look seriously at Apple for anything other than notebooks.

• Like 1

I think MAC OS 10(that's right, 10!!!) is far superior to it's competitors, but I think that Apple charges a bit much for their hardware. From what I've been able to tell, their hardware is just like stock PC hardware; second-rate at best. It's just like cars. Most cars have to have all the same maintenance done to them around the same mileage time. when it comes to Apple vs PC, I really think Apple is guilty of monopolistic practices. Their hardware dies just as much as PC hardware does. There are more Macs with bad logic boards than PC with bad mobos typically when you check craigslist or ebay. I think it's unfair how they make their OS only compatible with their hardware. That's just not good business. Microsoft makes their OS capable of installing on any machine with the right power requirements. Even Apple has power requirements, but they also have monopolized hardware proprietary requirements. And the fact that they charge the same amount of money in repairing logic boards plus the labor cost as buying a new Mac or aurthorized used Mac is absurd. I hope Steve Jobs will look passed that point of view someday and takes it like a man instead of being a stalinist about his product. Political beliefs aside, he needs to really open up his product. I thought hippies believed in freedom instead of this stupid {censored}. But what do hippies know, their era of people only lasted a year.

I disagree with that. There are plenty of advantages to their closed platform. It keeps their development and customer support costs down, they always use premium components. The hardware also has features that can't be found on a PC (target disk mode,magnetic power supply on notebooks, FW800, Apple Remote etc) You must also consider that by buying a real Mac, you're letting the development cycle continue. No Mac sales=no more OSX

With that said, Im not a purist and I think hackintoshes are a good thing. Hacks expose OSX to people that might not have given it a shot otherwise. Hacks force users to get very familiar with the OS from the get go. All of these things are great but it's not a good user experience. It's always better to sit in front of a fully supported machine than to run a hack job sweating bullets every time you want to update your OS. Without acknowledging these things you start to head towards the opposite extreme that the ignorant Mac purist is on.

And what you think about the Apple not fully support in many countries, including the mine.. Can You justify buy a Mac for 4x (or more) a PC without support?

I love my hacintosh... and without it, i ´ll never considerate buy one... for now, just money is problem...

And say more...

If you don´t consider a good experience with a Mac, it´s enough to tell that was sufficient to my family migrate from Win (Never More) to Mac with a lot of Fun...

I am the owner of a 3rd gen Macbook pro. The reason that I bought it was because of my first hackintosh. I loved it too much to give it up. I don't regret it one bit. Funny thing is, I may build a Hackintosh desktop soon to compliment my Mac. It's not about the cost to me. It's about the fun.

• 3 weeks later...
The guy is an idiot. All offense meant there. Tell him to take a look at newegg.com or tigerdirect.com. Then guide him to the various components in a mac, point out that you can build a faster mac than apple can, and for far less than apple charges. Without the PPC to hide behind, the truth is pretty obvious to anyone willing to look: Apple gouges the hell out of their hardware buyers.

His attitude is that of the guy who just bought a Viper for $80,000 talking down on the guy who just built a Cobra kit car for $30,000. The kit car cost less and is faster in all respects.

Well said: I find that almost always the Mac user that is always huffing away about the quality of Apple components wouldn't know a quality component if it ran over him. Mac users are, as a group, the most hardware ignorant group on the planet. That's usually why they bought a Mac in the first place! So they didn't have to learn anything. So they think the hardware is just "little over what a PC cost". Then I break down their precious iMac and show them how to replace it for less than 50% of the price. That shuts them up in a hurry. The only people that defend Mac prices are people that don't know hardware prices. Whenever I'm selling off computer parts and Mac people phone me, inevitably they don't have a clue as to what they are doing, and you have to dumb down everything for them. What a pain. On a good note though, they tend to me more generous than the typical PC buyer. :)

Wow.. I got into a heated debate with my buddy last night.

It all started out with me complementing how beautiful the new mac keyboard is from this picture of someone using it with his "PC".

to his statement of hackintoshes are "ghetto"..

Direct Quotes:

Is this really how Mac users feel? I was going to install MAC OSX on my pc for fun.. but am I supposed to feel ashamed of it?

But it's also true I can't afford a mac because I can't justifying spending 2,800 bucks for the same gear I can get for 1,500. So any comments on this are definitely welcome.

Hey syruppie! You don't need too feel ashamed at all ...

Talking about 2800 bucks ... there is a nice statement in German. They call this kind of problem "Kleinwuchssyndrom" this means something like " the syndrom of person whos bodyparts are too small, thin or short", they feel bad about this, so they try to compensate buying cars, large amounts of many and in this case a "larger, bigger ... computer" :P

So long .. wish a nice hackintosh!!

Hey syruppie! You don't need too feel ashamed at all ...

Talking about 2800 bucks ... there is a nice statement in German. They call this kind of problem "Kleinwuchssyndrom" this means something like " the syndrom of person whos bodyparts are too small, thin or short", they feel bad about this, so they try to compensate buying cars, large amounts of many and in this case a "larger, bigger ... computer" ;)

So long .. wish a nice hackintosh!!

or to cut a long story short, call it a 'phallic symbol' ;)

Honestly I can't see why people cant use both hack and mac together nicely. It's good to know and own both bonus legality. Really though some of us love the OS and like the hardware from apple so we choose to use our own. What's wrong with that minus the legal part? Psystar stands up for us! Even if you don't like them you know they are fighting for us. Not just to make some money.