Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

Hi. Could someone answer me for yes or now, please? It´s necessary to have two hard drives or can i use partitions using one hd?

Thank you in advance.

no one is answering you because you are not reading the guide... but maybe your english is not so good, so maybe you dont understand RTFM. So yes, this guide is designed for someone with 2+ drives. But if your read...there is a link to instructions on how to do it with 1 drive... but YOU will NEED to read the guide.

Im using a EP35-DS3L motherboard, and Im trying to install retail to a new hard drive (SATA). I followed the instructions from an old Kalyway install on another drive (MBR). Whenever I installed and reboot i get stuck in the "Verifying DMI Pool" screen, even though I've installed Chameleon. I tried installing EFI V. 8 and it tells me that my target drive is not GUID while it is GUID. I've also try installing chameleon using OSX86Tools but when i boot to my new drive it gives me the b0 error. I can't even install kalyway 10.5.2 in my new drive since it'll give me the

">00000080

<00000002

000000C1

<00064028

J_".

I've tried switching ports and messing with the bios, but it still won't work. Can it be my bios settings? Or what? Can anyone please help me? :)

I just had that same Verifying DMI Pool message this morning and it showed I´d forgot to switch to the right harddrive in my bios. I added another formated empty drive last night and for some reason it came up as first in the boot list so that´s why the message in my case. It´s easy to overlook these simple obvious things maby you should check it out. I remember

I had some problems with my P35-DS3R mobo though trying to install to a Sata drive using my old IDE Kaly install and if I remember rigth I had to switch over to the 123 method. Utdating to the 10.5.5 brought me back here cause then the 123 did´nt work so good for some strange reason. In both cases I probably just did something stupid so you can´t blame the methods but then again some really strange things can happend when you run the wrong os on the wrong hardware.

I just had that same Verifying DMI Pool message this morning and it showed I´d forgot to switch to the right harddrive in my bios. I added another formated empty drive last night and for some reason it came up as first in the boot list so that´s why the message in my case. It´s easy to overlook these simple obvious things maby you should check it out. I remember

I had some problems with my P35-DS3R mobo though trying to install to a Sata drive using my old IDE Kaly install and if I remember rigth I had to switch over to the 123 method. Utdating to the 10.5.5 brought me back here cause then the 123 did´nt work so good for some strange reason. In both cases I probably just did something stupid so you can´t blame the methods but then again some really strange things can happend when you run the wrong os on the wrong hardware.

I did check the BIOS and my drive was first on the list. Could it be that I'm installing Retail from an MBR partitioned install to a GUID partition drive? Kalyway also gave me errors when I install it on GUID.... Can someone please help me. Thanks.

Hi.

I successful installed leopard following the v4.3 guide. Thanks.

My problem is that i have a ps2 keyboard and after the welcome screen a message appear and says that i ve no keyboard connected. I tried many thing, moving appleps2keyboard.kext, the apple_acpi_fix, etc, but no results.

Anyone who installed and had a ps2 keyboard, can solve this problem?

Thank you.

Need help or I have to fall back to iDeneb install that worked perfectly.

Steps I did twice:

1. boot grub-dfe cd swap disc with a purchased retail dvd, install OSX just fine.

2. boot grub cd, hard drive boot and install 10.5.5 combo (tried 10.5.4 combo 2nd time)

3. boot grub cd, hard drive boot copy post patch v4.2 to desktop, edit script for my volume name (OSX) and follow:

go back to Terminal

TYPE or cut n past into Terminal: sudo -s

enter your password

TYPE or cut n past into Terminal: /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/Macintosh

TYPE or cut n past into Terminal (change yourusernamehere to your username): cd /users/yourusernamehere/desktop/v4.2

TYPE or cut n past into Terminal: ./post-patch.sh

after it finishes TYPE: exit

then TYPE: exit

4. Run Chameleon and install on OSX volume.

reboot from hard drive and get "waiting for root device" both tries. I can't boot from grub cd to hard drive anymore either.

Any ideas? This is my first attempt at retail installation. I wiped a perfect ideneb install to try this. My mobo is p45-ds3r. My bios is set for ACHI.

I need help i have try 3 times to install leopard 5.5 following LTL instructions but i keep getting this error

boot0: GPT

boot0: HFS+

boot0: booting

boo0: done

HFS+ partition error

how I can keep my vanilla kernel?

for what it said here you can

***Go into the v4.2 folder and open post-patch.sh and change the variables as per your liking. You will need to change destination drive and choose Vanilla or Modbin 9.4 kernel***

any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks

This error ocurrs to me when i tried this guide using one hd with 2 partitions, and no 2 hard disks.

HFS+ partition error

About vanilla kernel, the leopard installs vanilla kernel, and i guess that the postpatch leaves vanilla. If you want modbin kernel erase the # in these lines.

# sudo rm -r /Volumes/$DESTINATION/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext

# sudo cp -r Kernel/mach_kernel /Volumes/$DESTINATION/

# sudo cp -r Kernel/System.kext /Volumes/$DESTINATION/System/Library/Extensions/

This error ocurrs to me when i tried this guide using one hd with 2 partitions, and no 2 hard disks.

HFS+ partition error

After the "boot0: done" message you shouldn't get that "HFS+ partition error message". It seems that your stage 1 loader comes from somewhere else. Chameleon's boot1h can't display that "HFS+ partition error" message, instead you should get boot1: ... messages.

can anyone help me please

I have succesfully boot into Leopard 10.5.4 retail but after apple logo it show a screen corrupt (no its not a blank screen coz it show me a "corrupt" screen) and I know it work.

it only show me a correct screen image if I boot with : -v -x A.K.A Safe Mode but if I use SafeMode then my PS2 keyboard and mouse will not work.

please anyidea will be appreciate

thx a lot

If I remember correctly, all MSI boards are basically incompatible with OSX86 without a bios hack...

Time to ditch the {censored} MSI boards..

The newer asus boards also have a similar problems, solved by hacking the bios...

Hmm i went through every single one of your guides.

For both! of the advanced guides, the result was a non working install. Probably because the Darwin boot loader wasn't installed correctly, but the white/gray apple screen wouldn't even show up!

Followed your noob install guide. At the point in terminal where i tried to remove the Extensions.kext file, it said dir/file not found. I ignored that and continued on. Fully installed, I booted it up and it showed a kernel panic regarding AppleCPUPowerManagement. Went back to terminal and removed that as well. Now, there are no kernel panics, but my system stops blantantly at the white apple screen. Any ideas?

When I boot with the -v flags, it stops at the Buffers and Clusters Read portion.

Do you have any idea what may be causing this problem? Could it be the lack of the Extensions.kext in the first place? Or should I remove some other kexts?

Thanks for any help!

Oh and btw here's my rig.

MSI p43 Neo3-F

Intel E7200

4 gb corsair xms ram

500 gb western digital hd.

9600 gt 512 mb graphics card

boot with the -x command

Use a usb keyboard and mouse..to get an input device going..

Then install your graphic drivers..

There's a patch available to get a PS2 keyboard and mouse going..

Reboot.. then hoepfully all is well..

Thats how I got my 10.5.5 setup going...

can anyone help me please

I have succesfully boot into Leopard 10.5.4 retail but after apple logo it show a screen corrupt (no its not a blank screen coz it show me a "corrupt" screen) and I know it work.

it only show me a correct screen image if I boot with : -v -x A.K.A Safe Mode but if I use SafeMode then my PS2 keyboard and mouse will not work.

please anyidea will be appreciate

thx a lot

thx for your reply, but I dont have USB keyboard and mouse....what about patch or something that I can use.

Btw, now I can get into language selection without using -x command but my PS2 mouse not work eventhough my PS2 keyboard work fine

any idea how to make my ps2 mouse work coz I cant do anything without mouse when installing

thx

OK yuppie succes!!! installed Retail Leopard 10.5.4 and update via Online Update works like charm :)

the only problem havent install EFI or chameleon so everytime booting I always msut use cd BOOT 132....and I just have 1 harddisk ( actually 2 hdd but 1 hdd for windows vista) so how can I install EFI or chameleon with this situation?

thx

same here i installed 10.5.5 and combo update but i can only boot with cd boot 132 and my palmrest in my laptop doesnt work only keyboard

oh yeah and i still getting this error when i try to boot normally

HFS+ partition error

any fixes on this error

Any chance of getting QE/CI support on 8800GT 512mb in 10.5.5 (9F33) ?

I tried Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 via Pacifist... didn't work (some guy said it worked in 10.5.5).

Maybe its the most complex thing in the world is to get QE/CI to work with the very rare 8800GT 512 :-S

Any chance of getting QE/CI support on 8800GT 512mb in 10.5.5 (9F33) ?

Maybe its the most complex thing in the world is to get QE/CI to work with the very rare 8800GT 512 :-S

On a fresh install, you would follow this guide EXACTLY! Do not use the Leopard update as it's rolled into the 10.5.5 upgrade. Once installed and you have rebooted, use EFI Studio and you can fix this easily. I did mine the old school way, went to Netkas forums and read up on doing it by hand the long way to get the same thing that EFI Studio can do in seconds.

I have an ATI 2600xt and When using this method, upon initial boot, unless I boot with -x (safe mode), I get a screen with boxes. Actually, I have a dual monitor setup, so one shows boxes, the other shows large black and white lines. I followed this guide to the letter and boot with the vanilla kernel. As stated before, safe mode works but with no resolution switching. Any help with this?

Also, anyone know any good guides for EFI strings. I still don't feel comfortable with them.

Hmm.... this is my first time using the retail method to install, and I seem to be running into some sort of issue. Everything has gone swimmingly so far, but I'm at the step after running Chameleon and can not boot fully into my new install. I get the grey screen with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel, but after a little while the wheel stops spinning and the machine goes no further.

Now, if this was the non-retail method, this is the point where I would normally try -x -v to see what's going on. But I get no prompt for variables (by design, I suppose) and normal Mac methods like holding the Shift key don't work (not surprised). Any thoughts on how to proceed from here?

I have a Core2Duo and an Intel DG31PR board. Works fine with Kalyway, but has been picky about other distros in the past.

Now, if this was the non-retail method, this is the point where I would normally try -x -v to see what's going on. But I get no prompt for variables (by design, I suppose) and normal Mac methods like holding the Shift key don't work (not surprised). Any thoughts on how to proceed from here?

Hitting the F8 key during boot brings up the boot loader screen so you can type those in.

Hi folks,

it's my 1st post here, thus I've been sticking with InsanelyMac for a while.

First of all I would like to say HI to all the community :D

Great props, to all who inputs to the project, keep up the great work.

Here's my question about LTL's retail DVD Guide.

I've tried this method and run into the situation, that canadrian described 2 posts above.

I think it happened due to not bothering about video and lan .kext files.

But the worst thing was that I wasn't able to boot my Kaly install to fix the things.

Maybe due to my n00bness ;) , but I really tried! So I had to start everything from the very beginning, even re-installing my Kaly! B)

(and if I remember correctly, it was on GUID.. Maybe it was the root cause of not being able to boot Kaly?..)

I would like to ask you, guys, for advice:

1. I have separate internal HDD for experiments with OSX. I install Kaly on one partition and then try to install, using Retail method, on another one. Will I be able to boot Kaly, if something goes wrong? Please, point me to some tips n tricks, because, as I've described above, I failed to do this before.

2. And second. Regarding my situation with installing both Kaly and Retail on SAME hdd, which PT should I choose: MBR or GUID? Remember, that I'll need to boot Kaly, if smth goes wrong.

Many thanks to all the kind people in advance :)

I'm not ignorant to read all the FAQ's and stickies and I like to learn. So, please, don't get mad @ my n00b questions. We all have to start somewhere ;)