Computer Names

Swad

105 posts in this topic

I'm in the same boat as Pu7o. I probably need to get more imaginative about the naming schemes, but it always seems to make sense name it something in relation to its physical location or what its model or type is.

Previous and Current names of machines were/are.

Indigo2: The Indigo2

O2: The O2

Ultra10: The Ultra10

PseudoSun: The firewall built from scrap PC parts that was put inside an old, small Sun HDD case

MediaBox: The box hooked up the the TV

KidsComputer: The machine that is used primarily by my kids

HappyLappy: Wife machine, she named that one It's changed a few times, too

InfiDell: My Dell 6000d. It was named MacinDell, but that name was played out and I wanted something better

I had a bunch of other stuff around here and probably won't remember what I called them until about 2 weeks from now. I've also had a few that were profanity related, becuase I was felling bored and immature.

• 2 weeks later...

My home comps started with Kids, then went to Penguin (linux only), Tiger (XP only), Polerbear (XP only), and *MY* Beast (XP, Vista RC1, linux of all flavors, OSx86 10.4.7, and any other OS I can think of putting on it). Of course mine is based on the character, not an actual beast. :) I have it pimped out with blue LEDS, a custom painted "Beast" on the side, and a hacked bios with the Beast on it... I know... uber geek.

All of mine are based on greek mythology or words...

Melete (development server) - "practice, exercise"

Mnemosyne (database server) - Titan god of memory

Athena (web server) - "sharp praise"

Pyrrhus (firewall) - "fire"

Kronos (main workstation) - Titan god, father of Olympian gods

Rhea (second workstation) - Titan god, wife to Kronos (Zeus' mother)

Ismene (file server) - "knowledge"

Asclepius (backup server) - Greek god of healing

• 2 weeks later...

for me:

The Hackintosh- Laura

PocketPC 1- Adim

PocketPC 2- Eve

*These 2 are pretty apparent why they have the names they have...they're both HP iPaq hx2795's

the crappy Dell laptop- Lillith

*Google the story of Lillith from the bible...this is the laptop that goes EVERYWHERE with me

the main Desktop- Leela

the MacBook Pro- Jessica

the file server (home)- Anarchy

*The center of my network is Anarchy

The MythTV Box- Zer0_c00l

the backup desktop- Acid Burn

the other laptop- Nikon

*Obligatory Hackers (movie) references...i even tried to get their boot screens as close as possible to the ones each person used on their laptops in the movie

oh, and my IRC Server (at the host)- Anna

* http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=80...mp;q=Boten+Anna

I have 1 other computer, but i VERY rarely use it so i haven't named it.

Mine:

Laptop:Lappy the laptop, qwerty junior, labtop

Desktop 1:Qwerty senior

Desktop 2:Qwerty's twin, Uiop

The desktops are both identical (Dimension 1100) and they are called Qwerty because it's the first six letters of a english keyboard and second, Qwerty is the computer name in a cartoon. lappy and qwerty junior are obvious. Labtop is from thr0wback's spelling mistake in a post, I thought it was funny.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Your kidding right?

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The greatest book ever to come out of the great publishing corporations of ursa minor.

Perhaps not the greatest, but the most controversial, I would say :hysterical:

My Powerbook is called....

Wait for it....

Christopher's Powerbook.

Very descriptive, isn't it?

However, my Wii is called Steve!

My laptop is a dual core so I named it Medardo after the protagonists from Calvino's "Cloven Viscount". The workgroup is Terralba, the setting of the novela.

The c: drive is labled "The Brain" aftera friend of mine commented while stoned that my computer was like a giant extension of my brain. Somehow, the idea stuck.

I'm going to be installing osx86 onto my old desktop soon for use as a video editing station so i'll need a good film themed name.