105 posts in this topic

Various computers and harddrives dating back to about 1992:

Tristan (OSX86box)

Gaheris (Current G4)

Gawain

Thames

Authur

Galahad

Guinevere (this one was for MY 5300ce and ended up very fitting. Beautiful, but a total {censored}, as previously mentioned)

Camelot (Back when it's 20GB HD seemed absolutely massive)

Gareth

A couple of the names have been reused and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple, but you get the general theme. There's never been a Lancelot, and there never will be. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

The naming system has only really been broken twice, with Ivanhoe and Aragorn.

Server - SirLancelot

Desktop - KingArthur

Next server (getting the cash together for it now :P) - SirRobin

Next desktop (again cash is needed :P) - SirGalahad

It eventually will filter down the list to the likes of BlackKnight and AnarchoSyndicalistPeasant :P

Bugger! So much for my originality! :sorcerer: You're welcome to Lancelot. :P

Absolutely. For me, Peter Jones is the voice of hhgtg. I have two recordings, the Douglas Adams one where he actually reads it, and the BBC version with Peter Jones. Somehow Peter Jones is just 'right' - maybe because that's what I heard first. Incidentally you can find rather poor quality versions on both a well known filesharing protocol.

But what is more interesting to me is the fact that so many of us are in tune to this sort of thing. And as we see, we choose the same sort of esoteric computer names. It's a bit like Mash's music topic too - nearly everyone who responded liked at least 70% of everyone else's music. Do people who fiddle with computers really share so much in common? Seems that way! :D Hours spent peering at a screen, cursing over commands, trying to work out someone else's logic - hmm, I guess we are all quite similar - and long may it remain so!

(at the risk of not talking about the Hitch Hikers Guide :whistle:)...

I name my computers after the names for the planets, etc. in the solar system. My main one is sol, then I do terra, luna, etc., depending on the computer. Currently I don't have too many of them at home, though.

And I have this weird habit of naming the domain/workgroup/whatever as amanogawa (天の川), which is just Japanese for the Milky Way. No idea why I do these things. hehe. Quick note on the Milky Way in Japanese is that it literally means the "River of Heaven".

Strangely enough...I've gotten accustomed to calling my main Dell 57JTX01. That's what it was called when I first got it....and I just got used to calling it that :D

Of course...better (arguably :graduated:) names include my OSX Box (Liam...after, well, Liam Gallagher)...and my laptop, Drunken Master.

:censored2: Big thumbs-up to the Hitchhikers Guide Theme, munky

Mash- definitely read the books first (all 5 in the trilogy :D )

Or go find an Apple ][ emulator and play the old school game :D

As for my computer names, they are all part of a space theme.

My LAN is called Jupiter, and hence each machine is a Moon of Jupiter

-Io -my main XP/OSx86 box (see signature)

-Europa -IBM T30 Thinkpad

-Ganymede -Old PII 450 File/FTP Server

-Callisto -Networked HP 1012 Laser Printer

cyrana, jbjonas: funnily enough my work network has a solar-system theme - our main server is Sol, the other servers are major planets (Jupiter, Earth, Mars) and our workstations are the various moons, comets, rocks and other satellites hurtling around.

in my time there, i've had a Uranus (subject of far too many jokes), an Ida (real name 243 Ida, the first binary asteroid to be discovered), a Themisto (moon of Jupiter) and now a Stephano (moon of Uranus - cue jokes about the gravity well created by Uranus).

Metrogirl: you're so right, Peter Jones *is* the book. or was, as he is alas no longer with us. i'd have loved to have had the chance to meet Douglas Adams and Peter Jones, but now that chance is gone. I liked how they handled the transition from Peter Jones's voice to William Franklyn's (as an 'upgrade').

Mash: either way, listen to the radio series AND read all 5 books, its something you will NOT regret. as i said, I got more from the books, because the imagery you can conjure up in your own head beats anything produced, and you get as close to Douglas Adams himself as is now possible (sadly). i remember very vividly reading the books for the first time, alone and late at night, and absolutely pissing myself laughing at such gems as:

"The great ships hung motionless in the air, over every nation on Earth. Motionless they hung, huge, heavy, steady in the sky, a blasphemy against nature. Many people went straight into shock as their minds tried to encompass what they were looking at. The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

http://www.globusz.com/ebooks/Hitchhikers/00000011.htm

oh, and MrBond: that Dell is crying out for a new name!

• 2 weeks later...

[OT] post #100 [/OT] :)

since i only have 2 machines its simple:

Calvin my bratty OSX x86 desktop that doesn't do what u tell him :)

Hobbes my G4 pb 12"

as the mbp is to arrive soon, plz suggest names :)

At work we name computers based on system series. We have the elements (hydrogen, oxygen, etc), the guitarists (hendrix, page, etc), the tragic heroes (othello, giglamesh, etc), and the transformers (optimus prime, trax, etc). Yes, you can tell we are nerds.

If your wondering, the OSx86 Project servers have nicknames, steve and woz.

Since I posted the reply about my server 'Stephanie' being a total {censored}, she has decided to run superbly without so much as a hiccup. Even her firewire-attached storage, which used to disappear at random, has stayed up. I am totally convinced that computers have more intelligence than we give them credit for? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

When i read metro girl's post the first time i thought it said sister not server! I thought "that's a bit harsh" :D It's one thing to name a computer - you have to, but assigning it gender is a bit much :whistle:

Reread my post and remembered getting this email many moons ago:

A language instructor was explaining to her class that in French, nouns unlike their English counterparts, are grammatically designated as masculine or feminine:

"House," in French, is feminine - "la maison."

"Pencil," in French, is masculine "le crayon."

One puzzled student asked, "What gender is Computer?" The teacher did not know, and the word was not in her French dictionary. Therefore, for fun she split the class into two groups appropriately enough, by gender and asked them to decide whether Computer should be a masculine or feminine noun. Both groups were required to give four reasons for their recommendation.

The boy's group decided that computers should definitely be of the feminine gender ("la computer"), because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for possible later retrieval; and

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your salary on accessories for it.

The girl's group, however, concluded that computers should be masculine ("le computer"), because:

1. In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on;

2. They have many data but they are still clueless;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.