[HOW TO] INSTALL ON GIGABYTE/ASUS/COMPATIBLE BOARDS

mtotho

999 posts in this topic

Ok I NEEDED my computer to start working, so installed vista on my IDE hard drive, and made my SATA 500gb drive into one massive partition for all data at this point...

Is there any easy way I could try to install Leo on that SATA drive or will that screw with my Vista booting?

GREAT IMPROVEMENT, not enough though.

Once I have installed mac and it goes to reboot, now it does not give me chain booting error.. but it runs for a while and then stops for ten minutes and then shuts down.. I think it's cos I...

In bios set my mac harddisk to boot first, (160gb sata, another is 160gb vista) and voila, somehow the mac will boot automatically, but then I will get the dreaded apple icon and it will keep running and running and then will stop and after 10 minutes will shut down the pc. when that happens, it also wipes away all the display and I have to boot using vista cd. as soon as I restart with vista cd, it sets the bios back to start with vista hard disk and I can still click on OSX to start, but

it does not start.. just the icon running for few seconds, then the song.. and then APPLE VOICE OVER.... for disabled people..

Has anyone else have this problem.

also including my bios photo.. I am not able to change IDE to ACHI on this page.. does it matter.. if yes, how can i change it.. following bios instructions. i did my best, it just won't change..

thanks guys..

post-178440-1202402373_thumb.jpg

post-178440-1202402408_thumb.jpg

@theRG

I'm curious if anyone has run software update successfully with this install. Are there updates that I should avoid?
Yes, 100% yes. As of now, all the updates for me work 100 percent no error. Im fairly certain future updates should cause no problem (infact, they may make it better).

@Mohkan. You do not use the Chain0 method + the EasyBCD method. With Vista all you need to do is the OSX entry in easyBCd, NO CHAIN0 junk, thats for XP.Also, the issue may be with MBR vs GUID. although maybe not. I assume you use the correct options in customize (by correct i mean no options other than guid and vanilla). Try with mbr again if you exaust everything else. It may help you to use an alternate program to totally format your hardrive first, and then do in later in diskutility on the install disk.

***Can everybody please List there motherboard and specs that you got this tutorial to work with. If you needed extra tweaking, please list. I assume for the most part that DS3L users arent having any problems. I will add this list to post one to make everything easier.

I'm still having trouble getting my memory ( http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...per_hpc_edition ) to work correctly on my p35-DS3R. I've set my bios settings as http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...ead.php?t=31307 but in OSX it still reports me as using 667Mhz ram :S

Board is a rev 2.0 & I'm using bios F11

I you look at Memory frequency, it says 667, followed by 1066

Can anyone help me as to what i'm doing wrong

Here's a SS of my settings

post-21468-1202425374_thumb.jpg

Sounds good , i'm thinking of getting this motherboard but a have an IDE DVD Drive. can anyone successfully report being able to install with an IDE DVD drive?

I didn't read though here fully but, wanted to make a note to help. I had a problem where when ever I booted off the DVD, it would go all the way to copying files/extracting files, then it would bomb out. Everything I read was pointing to neededing a SATA DVD drive. I got it working though.

This worked for me on a MSI PT880 board. For your drives, make the DVD as your primary and your harddrive as the slave on the same 1st controller. Install (if it works, YEA !!), then put back to the way it was if you need to.

@Bob

The setting on the left is what it currently is. The setting on the right is what is is estimated to be. At this point you should hit f10 to save and quit. Reboot.. and on the post screen you should see your ram speed. Then enter any os and check for yourself.

make sure the voltage is set to auto. Alternatively, try setting it above the normal (whatever is reccomended). Other than that man, idk whats wrong. Ive never experienced a problem like that, and quite frankly it has nothing to do with osx.. i suggest taking it to a forum with more computer savy people (not that i am not, but just never had experience with this problem)

Just wanted to add a note if anybody didn't already realize the following:

SATA support seems to be limited to the number supported by the chipset. For example, on the GA-P35-DS3R, 6 are controlled by the intel chipset, the last two (purple on my motherboard) are controlled by the Gigabyte controller. I can use all but the purple ports on my motherboard. That is with the Kalyway 10.5.1 install.

@ Scriptx. Thanks, I already knew that there were 2 different controllers.. and for example.. on the DS3L with 4 ports, the 2 first port with ahci and the last 2 do not (they are all the same color). Without AHCI they all work.. it seems the ICH9 Chipset has mutiple controllers for AHCI, and leopard only has a standard intel extension. Now, are you sure the last 2 are controlled by Gigabytes own? Or just a different version or some thirdparty controller. It seems a vast majority of the new ICH9 are using 2 different controllers, for what reason? i do not know. This issue may possibly be solved if some kind of new kext was created.

@Mototho, Hi and thanks.

"With Vista all you need to do is the OSX entry in easyBCd":

ok, so that's what I will use only now. Easy BCD for vista / osx dual boot.

"Also, the issue may be with MBR vs GUID. although maybe not. I assume you use the correct options in customize (by correct i mean no options other than guid and vanilla).

Yes I made that mistake once, but now everytime i make very sure to use guid for guid format and mbr for mbr format.

Try with mbr again if you exaust everything else. It may help you to use an alternate program to totally format your hardrive first, and then do in later in diskutility on the install disk.

Ok, will give it another few shots, if it does not work, will try to wipe both hard disks and then retry.

Systems Configs:

MOBO: P5KC. (Solo Boot works / dual boot with vista working on)

Graphic card: HD2400 (using kext from here, works on single mon, can change reslution, have sleep/shut down conflicts)

HARD disks: 160gb (vista boot) set to boot first.

HARD disk : 160gb (OSX boot) boot hangs after few seconds, music starts and voiceover for disabled people starts, (so before installing ALC883kext for onboard soundcard for this mobo from here, make sure that your sound card does not work first, once you have a running system, cos after installing, upon restart I can heart he soundcard workign, using the kext for this soundcard from kalyway DVD)

LAN: Attansic G1 gigabyte: does not work so far, I have bought a few dollar LAN card, waiting to boot into mac to check it out.

MEMORY : 4gb, Assortment of 2 different brands.

@Mohkahn ,Also, i have no experience with using GUID (i will soon) but it i hear it isnt as easy to dual boot.. so easybcd may not work with guid... worst comes to worst, you need to hit f12 on boot for boot menu

@Nobody in particular.

I have just ordered an Asus P5W DH Deluxe http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16813131025

It will be my new primary OSX Build. I Plan to use AHCI (6 sata ports, all work, not ich9 chipset) and GUID. Lan should work, the wifi (although i will be using wired) will be detected as an airport. Sound will work. This board is a great board, built strong to last long. In it i will have

-q6600

-4x1gb Corsair XMS ddr2 800

-2 EVGA 8800gts (not in sli obviously, for dual monitors and double power)

-whatever else is in my Sig, i will throw in their.

After succesfully building it, i will add support for this board on this thread in case anyone is interested. It should be a great build and (no offense, as i own one 2) it should be better than the DS3L builds for sure.

@disney. That looks pretty good. Dont forget about 4gb of ram Kernel panics.

Hi! So I picked up all my stuff today 4 gig OCZ ram, S3L, e8400. I'm not up and running yet. I will be running XP pro and 10.5.x. Can any one give me direction on setting the 4 gig ram to 3.4 or 3.5 gig to avoid panic. This is my first experience with gigabyte bios.

Max

HELP!!!!

I apologize if this is slightly off topic. But I need some advice. new rig -S3L rev. 2.0 + e8400 + 4 gig OCZ PC-6400 with a fx5200 vieo card.I started out getting the LOGO screen. I have a USB mouse/keyboard and I even tried my Dell PS/2 keyboard and I don't go beyond the LOGO SCREEN. I hit DEL TAB END and nothing. The video card is working. I removed both Ram, and restarted and the fan started up then shut down. did this a couple times. Moved the ram around. Got the LOGO screen only. CPU fan works. power button, reset button. I disconnected my IDE cable. Same thing.

At first, I could see the keyboard lights flash, and the optical mouse light up.

Now after a few restarts. I just get a black screen. no LOGO. CPU fan starts up. power button works, no keyboard light flash, no optical mouse light.

I don't have another 775 system to test the e8400. Any advice? New Antec earthwatts 500 PSU.

I'm guessing its not the RAM. Does this sound like the CPU or motherboard? I can't tell the BIOS vers to know if its compatible with the 8400? I've read even earlier BIOS will post with the newer chip.

Thanks

Max

This guide is a compilation of my knowledge of what I have learned on this site, as well as input from other users.

**This Guide probably works on most of the P35-DS3* Series or any well supported Motherboard, it is a very general guide.**

-It is reported working for sure under the P35-DS3L, DS3 Boards, and most P35/ICH9 Gigabyte boards.

**Unrelated to this motherboard,I have also compiled a list of Video cards (NVIDIA/ATI) Drivers and solutions (at bottom).**

-If your card is not there, it does not mean it is not supported. I will continue to add drivers as I find them.

After following these steps you will have a 100 % working install. Software update will also Work.

Do NOT be intimidated by this guide. It is very straight forward, and written for 'Beginners'

Here we go!

My System Specs (to prevent confusion, the following specs are not needed *except the board* for this tutorial to work)

GA-P35 DS3L

eVGA 8800GTS 640MB

4 x 1GB Sticks of Corsair XMS ram

LiteON Sata DVD Burner

70gb WD 10k RPM Hard drive (S-Ata)

320gb Seagate hard drive (S-Ata)

Intel Q6600 @ 3.0ghz.

-USB DVD drives work (Tested by Skippy911)

-P-Ata DVD Drives only sometimes work(depending on the drive) I myself could not get neither a Samsung nor Pioneer to work. Best to stick S-Ata.

-P-Ata (aka IDE) hard drives may not work to install OSX on, but it has been reported they work in OSX after installation for data or whatever.

-Not all S-Ata drives work. If someone is looking to buying a new one, I know first hand THIS ONE works fine.

I think the reason of why some S-Ata and probably most P-Ata's that non-working drives may have older firmware, so it could be a simple software update to fix, worth a try.

For reference, when I try using P-Ata DVD drives (and possibly non-working S-Ata drives), this is what happens when loading the disc. I could not find a solution to this either.

post-110603-1201649643_thumb.jpg

To sum it up, this thread includes:

-Dual Booting Guide

-Install Guide

-Bios settings/Tweaks

-Multiple Video Card Support

-Multiple Sound Card Support

-Tweaks and known issues.

-Trouble Shooting

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick/Easy Dual/Tri-Boot Guide

If you want to Dual Boot then look here first, if not, then go on to the rest of the guide. I will tell you multiple ways on how to dual boot.

*This is not an In-Depth Dual boot guide. If you know anything about computers, this will be sufficient for you. If you are 100% Noob, I suggest you use one of the many In-Depth Dual boot guides out there.

-If you want to Dual boot with XP and Leopard, go to Part 1

-If your looking at a Dual boot with Vista and Leopard, or a Tri-boot Between Vista, XP, and leopard, go to Part 2

Part 1.)Okay, simple dual boot with XP and Leopard on the same or different hard drives.

1. If it is the same hard drive, Use your favorite disk management tool and create 2 partition for XP and Leopard... Making the leopard partition Fat32. Make sure XP is set Active.

2. If they are different hard drives, make sure the XP drive is set to boot in the Bios (we will be changing it back to the leopard drive after install)

3. Put the XP disk in and Install (its important that XP is installed first).

4. Once XP is done installing, Set Leopard active, or if it is on a different hard drive, change that drive to boot in the Bios.

5. Install OS X using the Rest of this Install guide for direction. Reboot and you will have a Boot loader with a countdown. Press any key to get an option between the 2 drives/partitions.

*NOTE: XP Requires additional drivers to run AHCI. You must install AHCI with these drivers. Find Matrix storage drivers on INTEL's Site. Alternatively to get AHCI on a current install of windows, use the quick guide found later on in this this thread HERE *Thanks Cobraf.

Part 2.) Ok, Dual or tri-boot between Vista*/XP, and leopard.

1. First, if you are going to have XP in addition to vista, make sure to install that first.

2. Now Install Leopard second using the rest of this guide. *IMPORTANT, setup the vista partition before installing leopard.. if vista will be on a second drive, this does not matter.

3. Set the Vista partition active using any number of ways.

4. Install Vista.

5. Upon rebooting you should now have the option between "an older version of windows" and Vista

6. In Vista, download a program called "EasyBCD"

7. Open EasyBCD, go to ADD/Remove Entries and add a new one under the Mac OS option. Choose osx86 Generic PC. Name it whatever.

8. Save, Reboot, you should have a working tri-boot.. or Dual boot if you opted out of installing XP.

CHAIN0 Method

If you are having trouble with Dual booting between XP and Leopard, this method allows you to use the Windows XP Boot loader to choose between.

Here the link: Support Thread

If you can not find the chain0 file in /usr/standalone/i386 as described in the topic, search the web and download the file. Copy it into the root of the Windows installation and modify the boot.ini file (C:\chain0="Mac OS x86"). Now you can always boot from the first drive and use the Windows boot manger to boot Leopard on the second disk. *Big thanks to Master12271

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installing Leopard With MBR Scheme

This portion of the guide will inform you to install with an MBR partition scheme. MBR makes it easier to dual boot. Although easier, there are some limitations: You can not resize the Leopard partition or delete/resize any of the partitions on your Leopard drive.

I highly recommend using the Kalyway 10.5.1 distribution, as this is what I used, and I will be making references to it in this guide.

Pre-Install Checklist.

Bios Settings:

-Change S-Ata mode from Legacy IDE to Native.

-Disable all CPU Thermal settings.

-Do NOT enable AHCI if you have more than 2 S-Ata devices. In Leopard, you cannot see anything past the first 2 S-ata ports with the ICH9 Chipset and AHCI enabled.

-Everything else should pretty much be default/not important if you change.

-Make sure The Leopard drive is set to boot.

-If you are only running 64 Bit Operating Systems (Leopard/Vista64) then change HPET mode to 64bit.

Some Pictures for reference

post-110603-1201374616_thumb.jpegpost-110603-1201374595_thumb.jpeg

post-110603-1201374577_thumb.jpegpost-110603-1201374546_thumb.jpeg

*Warning, remove your ethernet cable from your computer. Do not plug it back in until after initial setup in Leopard.

1.)Insert the Kalyway DVD. No Kernel Flags are needed, DVD boots up fine with S-Ata Optical drive.

2.)When DVD loads (usually takes about 10 minutes) go to tools --> Disk Utility.

-Click on your Leopard Drive.

-Erase and format as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

-Make sure the Hard Drive is Formatted as Master Boot Record (it will say it near the bottom of the disk utility screen, and go into the Option menu in disk utility to change the format.)

-Make sure you give your leopard partition a name that is ONE word, and not just "untitled 1 or Mac OSX" as that is reported to give some problems. Keep it simple like "Leopard" or "OSX"

3.) Exit the Disk Utility and Enter Setup.

-Choose the Correct Formatted drive

-Make sure you go into Customize options

-Choose the Option for both Vanilla and the Fix for it.

-Choose MBR_EFI emulation rather than GUID (last option)

******DO NOT select any other options in Customize menu, I REPEAT, DO NOT.******

4.) Start the Actual install, you can skip Disk Check if you want.

-The install should only take about 10 minutes despite what seems like high estimated times at first.

5.)Install Successful, Now to get Everything working.

6.)In leopard, fill out the initial setup *Making sure your Ethernet is unplugged. Press no networking when that option comes up. After the initial setup, You may replug your Ethernet.

-Boot into Leopard. Use This to restore all settings back to default.

GUID INSTALL METHOD

Ok this part of the guide is if you want to use a GUID partition map on your drive. This basically makes it easier to resize/delete partitions, and some say it makes it faster and etc. It is a little more difficult to dual boot and as I have not used this method before, I will not explain how to. I will just tell you how to install leopard on a single drive without any other OS's

1) Use the same Pre-Install settings as posted above.

2) Insert the Kalyway DVD and Boot up. Go to Utilities --> Disk Utility

3) In disk utility, format the whole hard drive.. making sure to select GUID partition map (not just in customize) in the Options menu

-Format as Mac OS Extended(journaled)

--Make sure you give your leopard partition a name that is ONE word, and not just "untitled 1 or Mac OSX" as that is reported to give some problems. Keep it simple like "Leopard" or "OSX"

4) Proceed to install.. but select customize options on the install. Select the options for Both Vanilla Kernel and the fix. The choose

the option for GUID EFI.

******DO NOT select any other options in customize menu, I REPEAT, DO NOT.******

5) Hit install, Skipping the Disk check or not.

6)Viola

For an in-depth GUID Guide, visit this THREAD

AUDIO

DS3L Boards

Audio is quick and painless to install.

-Download 2 needed kexts HERE.

-In spotlight (search bar in top right corner) type "Kext Helper" and open up that program. Drag the 2 kexts from that package into Kext Helper, install and restart. Alternatively, if you know how, you can install the kexts manually.

-Next you want to head over to this Thread and download HDA patcher 1.20 (or latest)

-Download this TEXT File

-Drag the Text file to the HDApatcher Icon, do not open the HDA patcher pre doing this, it must be closed.

-Authenticate, it will install for you, then reboot.

-Sound is Working!!

*5.1 Does not work. 2.1 and Digital DOES.

P35) DS3P,DS3R, S3, DQ6 DS3 Boards

G33M) DS2R

1) Find alc889a HERE

2) On this thread HERE

3) In spotlight (search bar in top right corner) type "Kext Helper" and open up that program. Drag the 2 kexts from that package into Kext Helper, install and restart. Alternatively, if you know how, you can install the kexts manually.

LAN

LAN works out of the box for Leopard. (for the 8111 series)

-Bonjour services may not work correctly without the RealtekR1000 kext found in the 'HERE' just below.

-If it does not work after many a hard work playing around, you can Try HERE

-Alternatively, Realtek has some OSX drivers on their site. They only have up to 10.4 (probably cause Leopard should work by default) but it you want to install the Tiger version, and copy over the tiger IONETWORKINGFAMILY.KEXT, be my guest Realtek 8111 series (Note that i am not supporting this method)

VIDEO

NVIDIA CARDS

-For most Nvidia Series(Common 6/7/8 series), you can use Punk92's install found Here.

-Or this may be better as it is Newer, Latest 10.5.2 NVinject Installer

-Alternatively, People with G80 Nvidia's like myself (older 8800GTS/GTX) This installer definitely gets me best performance, There are options for various ram size (320/640/728 or whatever it is) G80 Only

-Just in case, if any drivers above did not work because you may have some bizarre Nvidia card, you could try the Universal Installer, I do not recommend this driver for more supported cards Driver Here

ATI

-X1900XT/XTX (not the PRO)

-HD2600 Series Support thread

-X1950GT Pro

-Radeon 7500 thread

AHCI Enabled vs. Disabled:

ICH9 CHIPSETS (P35-DS3* Are ICH9): In my experience, AHCI is Ideal. AHCI may run Slightly smoother, and boot faster. AHCI does not make a difference in terms of Benchmark Results and possibly even stability. I run without AHCI and there is little to no difference between the 2. Although, if you only have 2 S-Ata drives(DS3L*), I recommend running AHCI. Also know that with AHCI enabled, you need special drivers to install Windows XP (not vista). Also if Leopard is the sole operating system on your PC, I highly recommend both AHCI and GUID. Again, running without these 2 options, you will still see 100% operation and smoothness.

*The above only really applies to the DS3L board. Higher models (DS3R,P, DQ4) have like 8 ports instead of the 4 that the DS3L users have. I am fairly certain that all the ports on these boards work except the last 2, in other words, unless you have 8 drives, try AHCI.

AHCI enabled gets rid of 4gb of RAM issue. Read 'KNOWN ISSUES' for more information.

Non ICH9 CHIPSETS: ENABLE AHCI

KNOWN ISSUES:

1) This happens with many motherboards. If you have 4GB of ram in dual Channel, you may get a kernel panic when ram usage peaks above 3gb(I have Kernel Panics even when not all 4gb is utilized). To fix this simply:

-Go to Terminal. Enter "sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist"

-Authenticate. Add the "maxmem=3072" in between the strings under Kernel Flags

-Note* 3072(3gb) is not the magical number here. It may not be the highest you can set your ram. It seems to have stopped any kernel panics but I have not played around raising it 32mb each time and testing if i get kernel panic. If someone wants to play around and fine the Threshold and share with us, I will edit this and give you credit.

-Save and Exit

Another Fix: AHCI enabled seems to stop these problems.

2) I am not aware that there is a solution for 5.1 sound. Digital does however work.

3) Shutdown/Sleep do not work by Default. This Problem is discussed on THIS Thread.

From what I gather, it can be fixed and working perfect by downloading a new Kernel edited for sleeping/Shutdown off the IRC and replacing your old vanilla kernel with it.

This means you will not have stock Vanilla kernel anymore.. however its very close to stock. Any software updates will probably replace this new kernel and you will then have the stock kernel again... which means you will have to replace it every update.

I found that if you type this in the terminal

sudo shutdown -h now

That it shuts down the computer completely. Make sure all programs are closed before doing this.

4) AHCI does not allow you to see last 2 S-Ata ports on ICH9® Chip sets. (as stated numerous times in this tutorial)

TROUBLE SHOOTING

Question: Upon booting, I receive 'B0_error'

Answer: You have installed Leopard no regard to change the customize settings thoroughly enough. Your partition is most likely formatted as MBR, and you chose the default option in customize 'GUID_EFI' rather than 'MBR_EFI' or vice versa. Also, make sure your drive is S-Ata, and is on port 0 or 1 (If AHCI is enabled). Make sure it is set to boot in bios (unless you use vista Boot loader, or some alternate configuration.

Question/Problem: I cannot see the hard drives on my last 2 S-Ata ports.

Answer: AHCI is enabled in Bios, and you have an ICH9® Chipset.

Question/Problem: My DVD drive will not load the install disk.

Answer: As this guide is written in reference to, use Kalyway's disk. Make sure you have the correct Bios settings.

Question/Problem: LAN DOESN'T WORK!!

Answer: It should, DHCP issues can be hard to fix, try. If it isnt showing up, or you give up, Try HERE

Question/Problem: My install wont boot!! (or any other random problem)

Answer: It should work if using DS3L or similar boards and following the guide. If you have a different board, make a post asking why it is not working, AND SPECIFY YOUR SPECIFICATIONS/SETUP in addition to a detailed problem

Question/Problem: I am getting random kernel panics (Grey screen that tells you to restart).

Answer: You have 4GB of ram in Dual channel right? Your not running in AHCI mode right? 4GB of ram is finicky. To solve Kernel panics, enable AHCI (if possible) or set maxmem(see KNOWN ISSUES).

Question/Problem: I get a Blue Screen of death when I boot into Windows XP on my Leopard/XP dual boot.

Answer: If this problem occurs, I am sure you have AHCI enabled. Disable it and it will work. To get AHCI+XP, you must burn the AHCI drivers to a Floppy and install them upon the Windows XP install, (during the "F6 to install third party driver") I believe drivers can be found on INTEL's Site. To install on a current XP install, check out this post, later in this same thread. HERE *Thanks Cobraf

*When you get this tutorial to work on your computer, please post your detailed specifications and any tweaks you may have made. I will add any info to this guide to help future members.

I am constantly updating this guide to make it as easy and resourceful as possible.

Good Luck And Enjoy

UP TO DATE AS OF: 2/7/08 4:49 PM Eastern Standard.

Hi

I'm building a computer today that's built around this board. Do you know if you have v 1.0 or 2.0 of the board?

Thanks

Pandar

I've been installing different scenarios on my DS3P v1.0 with the Kalyway install

It seems that it's more stable without the Vanilla kernel (not checking either vanilla option) - is that normal? For example - kernel panics when choosing shutdown, and Xbench crashed the first time I ran it. (this never happened on the non-vanilla kernel) Also - My brand new Asus SATA dvd burner died on me. I had a lite-on sata as a spare - and now when it gets close to 2 minutes left of the install, I get the spinning logo thing (hourglass type icon) and it just sits there... does that sound like a DVD drive issue? It's a fairly new Lite-on SATA drive. Last night I forced a reset of the computer when it did this, and it actually booted fine and when through the normal first time start up routine... strange.

*** EDIT **** (few days later)

Ok - kept getting some weird things while installing so I took a break, reset the harddisk with a few different Windows tools, cleaned my Kalyway DVD as the outside edge looked like it had a thin dusty/cloudy film on there (could have been a result from my dvd drive's sudden death), checked all my bios settings and started over.

Chose the Vanilla kernel again, guid part. - install went all the way through and got the green icon, and clicked restart. (it hung with the spinning icon, I waited for a bit and then reset the machine manually). It started up normal, I skipped through the registration, loaded my NVinject (G80 8800 GTS 640mb), loaded my alc889a sound kexts, and downloaded all available apple updates. So far it has been great. Not one app crash or kernel panic, shuts down 4 out of 5 times, always restarts fine, has gone to sleep fine. One time in the fist hour the keyboard (Logitech G15) suddenly stopped working, but I used the mouse to put it to sleep, and when it came back the kb was fine. Other than that I think I can stop messing around now and start USING OSX again! Haven't used it since I went through my serious used apple G4 sawtooth/DA hacking days. I score 215 on average with the default Xbench test. Very snappy machine as long as it stays nice and stable. This makes me want to get a quad core cpu now.

@Mtotho:

""I have just ordered an Asus P5W DH Deluxe."""

Good luck with the new board and keep us informed of how it runs. I tried to look for it here in local market (in Asia) but seems it is mostly for US market, they say it's an old board, and nobody seems to be interested in selling it. Otherwise I was gonna build a pc based on it.

Anyway man I finally managed to dual boot vista / mac. The problems could have been various. I formatted both HD's using vista's DVD's built in format. Installed easybcd, add osx entry. Installed osx as MBR. This time I did not click on SSE2 support, eventhough I do have c2d e6550.

1) Don't know if not installing sse will give me problems later?

2) sounds does not work, despite installing ALC883 kext.

3) display improved after installing triakis package.

4) ethernet does not work.

5) ps2 keyboard does not work, now using wireless keyboard, that is connected via a usb broadcasting kit. gonna buy a small converter to plug my ps2 mouse head to turn it into usb tomorrow. hope that will make things easy, since this wireless keyboard wastes lots and lots of batterries.

Any help / news on the above 5 questions / problems, please do let me know.

Thanks a tonne to all those who replied, here are my system specifications again for anyone's reference:

MOBO: P5KC. ( DualVista / Kalyway)

Graphic card: HD2400 (using kext from here, works on single mon, can change reslution, have sleep/shut down conflicts)

HARD disk : 160gb (OSX boot) set to boot second.

Sound: Does not work so far.

LAN: Attansic G1 gigabyte: does not work so far.

I have bought a few dollar worth of LAN card, working on vista / not on kalyway.

MEMORY : 4gb, Assortment of 2 different brands. (working, no kernel panic, but not not done any heavy work on mac)

Hi I'm building a computer today that's built around this board. Do you know if you have v 1.0 or 2.0 of the board? ThanksPandar
Just look at the board. In one of the corners (you will see Rev x.0). The x will have your revision number. Or look at the back of the board. If you see 6 external USB ports (a stack of 4, along with 2 under the NIC) you have revision 2.0. If you have 4 (2x2), then you have Rev 1.0. I believe that's the only difference between these board and that it should not make any difference in the oSX installation.
I have just ordered an Asus P5W DH Deluxe http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16813131025It will be my new primary OSX Build. I Plan to use AHCI (6 sata ports, all work, not ich9 chipset) and GUID. Lan should work, the wifi (although i will be using wired) will be detected as an airport. Sound will work. This board is a great board, built strong to last long.After succesfully building it, i will add support for this board on this thread in case anyone is interested. It should be a great build and (no offense, as i own one 2) it should be better than the DS3L builds for sure.
Dude! I just got that board myself (in addition to my Gigabyte PA-G35-DS3L). Not sure I'm going to keep it (bought it on a whim), but if you wouldn't mind, please keep us up-to-date on how it goes. I haven't seen that board mentioned too much on these forums, though the dude at lifehacker.com used it to build his hackintosh: http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-...acking-required

@Pander, I believe all P35-DS3L's are Rev 2.0 There is another DS3L (not p35) that is 1.0, Yes i have the p35.

@DCI, The P5W DH is a great board. I think it is much better than the DS3L.. although may be a teeny bit more difficult to install leopard on. It is still a very compatible board.. and i believe all you have to do is insert the disk and install (of course, in addition to some other settings). To get the sound and lan working, you just replace a few kexts. Also you have to do something for time machine. Other than that, i heard Sleep/Shut down work well. Also, AHCI or not, there is not Limit on the Sata drives.

edit: DCI, i just looked at the lifehacker guide. It showed screenshots of the kalyway install disk. I guess i missed this before, but it has options for the wireless and audio fix. It looks like it will require even less patching. Also, IMO, do not use other guides for this board on this the insanely mac forums, i just took a look, their all rubbish and old.

this motherboard is by no means outdated. It is just an older board. It works great, it is a luxary, quality boards with many features.

@disney. A computer does not show any video at all if the processor isnt working. Now maybe it isnt working properly because of older bios. Do you hear a beep when it starts up? Also, try 1gb of ram first. If you can, get your hands on a lga775 cpu and update the bios. You may have to take it to a hardware store and use one of their cpus temporarily. If the cpu is the cause of the problem, it could explain those other problems. I doubt its the board (other than old bios). Motherboard problems usually consist of the computer not starting at all (no video at all) when the cpu is fine. Also, you may want to try on computer forums where you could get a multitude of scholarly opinions, not just my half ass opinion.

I am really new to this so tell me if I am in the wrong forum. I have the abit IP35 Pro with the intel P35 and ICH9R Chipset, with the Intel Core Duo E6550 2.33. I have tried your install and every other install from many sites on the 10.5.1 kalyway. The computer always starts to boot then quits and gives the error: system config file "/com.apple.boot.plist' not found. I have set the bios every way that is listed. I have also attempted to boot from a usb DVD drive. The only thing i havent tried is booting from a sata DVD drive and i will try that too if it will help. I have burned the Kalyway disc several time with several programs. Is there anything you can tell me to help me out. I just dont understand teh problem. Does it have to do with the board. it is a newly built machine and on the OSx wiki it stated that this build would work. Please Help!

Brass

@mtotho - looks like i'm not alone with the problems with my p35-ds3r. It seems its an issue with this board if you're using DDR 1066. Basically the motherboard will die quite quickly by the sounds of it. Loads of people have had to RMA it.

See here

Think i'm gonna rma mine, but by the sounds of it a replacement isn't the answer cos it seems a generic issue :)

Can any1 suggest a highly compatible board?

Bob

@Brass. Please mention your full configs, so people can help. I have read somewhere in this thread that IDE support is limited, so you might need to use SATA harddisk.. i could be wrong, but read this thread from top to bottom, might help.

@particle9: no offence, but writing few lines about your system configs won't hurt anyone and will only increase the knowledge of this thread visitors as well as the forum in general. if there were no people like mtotho, we won't be running macs, so please all, do shortly mention your systems, so newbies as well as experts can benefit. thanks..

MOBO: P5KC. ( DualVista / Kalyway)

HARD disk : 160gb (OSX boot) set to boot second.

Sound: Does not work so far.

LAN: Attansic G1 gigabyte: does not work so far.

I have bought a few dollar worth of LAN card, working on vista / not on kalyway.

MEMORY : 4gb, Assortment of 2 different brands. (working, no kernel panic, but not not done any heavy work on mac)

Thanks for the response. I have read every forum i can find to figure out any solution. My full config is:

IP 35 pro Abit motherboard

Intel Duo Core E6550 Dual 2.33 mhz

2-2Gb sticks of pc6400 Dual OCZ 800 mhz memory

ATI Radeon X1300 PCIexpress graphics board

500 GB western digital SATA HDD

Also tried 40 GB ide HD

Pioneer DVD RW ide Drive

also tried Sony USB external DVD RW drive.

The OSX Wiki stated that they Kalyway 10.5.1 would work but I never get anything but that error. The error is system config file '/com.apple.boot.plist' not found. I have tried setting the bios to achi instead of ide but nothing changed. I have also set the bios as directed in the many installation instructions from all of these forums. Read that booting from the USB or SATA dvd could help but the uSB drive came up with the same error. The only thing I have read about this error is that it could be the jmicron controllers and that is why booting from the usb or sata dvd is supposed to work but it didnt. If there is anything else to try please let me know and thanks for any response.

Brass