[HOW TO] INSTALL ON GIGABYTE/ASUS/COMPATIBLE BOARDS

mtotho

999 posts in this topic

I was always under the impression that your bios reported your memory (unless oc'd) as stock setting, in this case 800MHz and not 667Mhz. I've uploaded a ss. Could the memory i've been sent been mislabelled or is ther a setting i'm missing?
Yes, your BIOS will report your memory's stock setting unless O/C'd, but if your memory is capable of multiple speeds and timings then it will default to the speed that corresponds to the voltage being applied by your motherboard. IOW, if you feed it 1.8v, it will run at 667, if you apply (just throwing this number out there) 2.1v, it will run at 800. I'm going to say it again: look at your docs and the OCZ support site/forums. They will tell you the proper settings. Plus, you can't be the only person out there running this memory. Do some Googling and see what other people have done.

Allrighty,l update from my side!

Hardware

Gigabyte P965-DS3 (Rev 3.3) (Bios F12)

C2D E6420 @ Stock Speeds

3GB Kingston PC2-5300 / 667Mhz (ValueRam)

ECS 8800GTS/320MB @ Stock Speeds

LiteON LH20A1S

Samsung T166 160GB

Few days ago

I downloaded the Kalway 10.5.1 DVD, burned it in Windows and went to reboot. Changed the settings in the BIOS to the ones suggested in the TS and booted perfectly. Used wrong settings though, so I ended up with a b0 error.

I reinstalled, now with the correct mapping (GUID) and the correct EFI_GUID option. Worked like a charm, until I got the /com.apple.boot.plist error. Did not know what was wrong, and I reinstalled again.

Again, I got the error from /com.apple.boot.plist, and I went sad! So, I went to bed, dreaming of a perfectly working Leopard all night.

Next thing in the morning, I downloaded Hiren's BootCD to perfectly make sure that I was using GUID etc, so I went to the BIOS before booting, and I used 'Set optimal defaults'.

Then a miracle happened..

I booted into OS X! For some reason it worked, and I could also boot without a Leopard DVD in the dvd-rom! I installed the G80 only fix, together with the ALC888 sound drivers which work beautifully (if you use the headphone out for the receiver, I only use analog anyway because of my stereo receiver, the H/K 3480)

So, to sum up what I did:

Burn the DVD, make the settings as told in the TS, and open up the installer. I formatted the drive with the 'Zero blabla' option (takes a while, that sucks tho), and I installed with vanilla_ahci_fix kernel, and the EFI_GUID option. No other ones chosen.

So, didn't work out, after setting optimal defaults it did, weird stuff.

Few things though which bother me, and hopefully can be fixed.

1: When I turn the computer on, I get the screen where I can press a key to set booting options/flags. This is currently around 6/7/8 seconds, and that may be 1/2 seconds in my opinion. Anyone has an idea where and how I can change that?

2: I can't shutdown properly. Restart works fine, Sleep sucks (never use that anyway, OS X boots like a charm) but shutdown should work proper ofcourse. As far as I can tell, my HDD stops, screen doesn't get any information, but there is still power on the motherboard, as the fans keep spinning.

I have set the power-options in the BIOS (4 sec. gap between touch/shutdown) and the other option (forgot the name, will look it up in a minute and edit this).

3: My father has a MBP, and uses the absolute awesome aluminium wireless keyboard. I have an USB-bluetooth adapter, the Sitecom CN-512. I hope someone can tell me how I get this to work, as i'd like to have it too, wonderfull thing!

Last but not least, maybe you guys followed the news about 'mice' and saw that the Microsoft Wireless Laser 7000 is coming. This is also a bluetooth mouse, but does it work when plugging it in the PC?

Thanks for the long reading guys, and I hope people with a P965 chipset find this helpfull, I know it's a bit awkward but it sure works :sorcerer:

mtotho, can you help a friend.

I've taken back the 3850 card today.

They're gonna review it by tomorrow and then I'm getting another card.

I was thinking of the GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB which says on the wiki page that it works Out of the box.

Is this something you would recommend? I'm limited by the store's list of cards, and would really love an out-of-the-box card that's not gonna cause problems.

Also, since everything looks to be working, and I want to switch to mac osx as my primary os, do you think that is a smart thing? will i have some technical difficulties along the way? I'm a graphic designer, and I've tried to install the CS3 suite which works fine... but do I need to check anything else before making the final decision? I appreciate all of yours and everyone else's help so far. All the best to you.

cheers

blackdude, I haven't had any issues with my 8800GT. It didn't work right out of the box but with the NVInstaller v.32 9C30 kexts which is a simple installer, it was recognized without a problem. I have dual displays running at their max resolution.

thanks for this. is there any difference between the GT and GTS models?

the guys at the hop told me that a new GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB which is better than the 640mb model, since it has a newer chip. I'm scared to have compatibility issues again. any thoughts on this?

@theRG

Followed the guide and got it running fairly well so far. One issue I got was a notice to reboot (see screen). I was installing WoW off of a dvd at the time so maybe it had something to do with that.

Anyways followed the MBR dual boot instructions (though I haven't setup EasyBCD in Vista yet). I used this install: http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=19 for my EVGA 8800GT 256mb and have dual monitors working flawlessly. Leopard also recognizes my 4 gigs of ram correctly.

Thanks mtotho for this post and advice.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

Q6600 Quad Core Processor 2.4ghz

GSkill 2 x 2GB

300gig sata (Leopard)

250gig sata (Vista)

500gig sata

EVGA 8800GT 256mb

Same thing happened to me installing wow. It has nothing to do with WOW. Like said many times in the guide and in post #1.. your computer will get kernel panics with 4gbs of ram. The solutions are run your rig in AHCI or Go into boot flags (i wont go into details, check post one) and set maxmem to 3gb or maybe a little bit higher

@BlackDude. There is a difference between the 8800gt, gts, and the new GTS. They have different chips. The older 8800gts 320 and 640mb were the g80's. I believe the newer GT, and possibly GTS's are G92 or something like that. The same installer for both (unless a very general installer) will not work. There is a installer specifically for the G80's that give best performance for that card, and i believe there are specific versions for the g92. Like i said, versions like punk92's work for both.

I believe the newer GTS is better, because it has faster clock speed and more bandwidtd, pixel pipelines, all that good stuff. I do believe the GT works, i have not looked into the new GTS much.. but i bet you that it does work, or will work if it doesnt now. Nvidia, especially the new cards, are very compatible.. mostly because ppl want them and make kexts for them.

@bob the king. Change your memory multiplier until it reaches 800 instead of 667 (or whatever your memory is rated at. Leave the voltage settings on Automatic. The motherboard barely ever clocks your memory correctly... which is unfortanate for noobs.. but not that big of a deal. I believe mine is at 2.40 multiplier for memory, I have 800mhz ram.. so just try it out, it will show you what your changing to.

I believe the newer GTS is better, because it has faster clock speed and more bandwidtd, pixel pipelines, all that good stuff. I do believe the GT works, i have not looked into the new GTS much.. but i bet you that it does work, or will work if it doesnt now. Nvidia, especially the new cards, are very compatible.. mostly because ppl want them and make kexts for them.

agreed, if it doesn't work, it probably will soon, but the difference isn't that big, and if I want a working computer tomorrow I should get th eGTS 640mb, right?

(again, it says it works out of the box. is that with some options checked on install, or with nothing like my leopard - only the guid drivers).

Ok, i got to edit the main guide because obviously people arent getting the picture. YOU NEVER SELECT ANY DRIVERS FROM THE INSTALL DISK (other than Vanilla/fix and MBR or GUID). They usually arent compatible with your rig, and if they were, they probably arent the latest. I have the 8800gts 640mb. It is a great card IMO. I run Call of duty 4 and any other game i have on Full graphics (even with one of my 2 in SLI). I have a driver specifically for this card in the first post. It says stuff about the G80 next to it.. cant miss it.

black, no one is helping you because I dont think there is any support for that card. If there was, the best place to ask is the hardware/drivers section of these forums.

This is by far, the most thorough guide I've read on installing Leopard. I'm hoping I can have some success with it.

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my parts. I'm familiar with installing OSX86 to some extent as I installed Tiger Jas 10.4.8 on my P4 SSE2 computer. The problem was absolutely none of the hardware I had was supported so while I had OSX86 fine, I didn't have sound, LAN or accelerated video. lol (ASUS P4800S motherboard, ATI 9600XT, etc)

These are the parts I went with:

Pentium E2160

2gb Mushkin DDR2 800 Kit

Gigabyte P35-DS3R

EVGA 7600GT 256mb PCI-E

I figured I would go with parts that have the most reliability. One thing I'm worried about is that I heard Core 2 Duo were required for 1080p playback, but hopefully an over-clocked Pentium E does just fine. (It's based on Core Micro technology and it uses Allendale cores)

As far as upgrades are concerned, I have a feeling what I'll end up doing is buying an 8800GT and then trading it to someone on a hardware forum I visit for an 8800GTS 640 + cash on their end. A G80 is enough fire power for me and the extra money can go towards a Core 2 Quad or E8400.

I'll post back here when my build is successful! Thanks a lot, you're awesome!

np, i'm solving the problem by getting a new card, so it's not a problem.

i've actually asked in the irc (channel i was sent to) a couple of times, the 3850 thread on the insanelymac and netkas comments and netkas forum.

so i've really tried, gave up and and getting a new card.

it's not a problem, i hope I'll have no problems with the card, and will post results.

@mtotho

I did figure out that what I got was a considered a panic attack. Years of using official macs and I had no idea what those reboot errors were called. I referred back to original post and I saw how to deal with it. I'm going to set maxmem as I have more than 2 sata drives and see if that solves the issue.

nameless, those parts are fine, although i would of opted for a core 2 duo and not a pentium duo. I dont think it will affect compatibilty.. just c2d are better

I'm tryin 2 fileshare with windows vista but its givin me a headache! If I try to access vista from my mac, it won't find it. If i try to access my mac from vista, it asks me for user name and pwd, but it keeps tellin me my pwd is incorrect even tho its right! My networking worked out of box (P35-DS3R)

Any ideas?

Apart from this i have a fully working mac thanks to you guys :)

Btw, graphics & audio implementation using efi works a treat with this board, the audio I found was a bit choppy with alcinject and I couldnt get the :) to shut down using nvinject. EFI is my saviour :D

I'm tryin 2 fileshare with windows vista but its givin me a headache! If I try to access vista from my mac, it won't find it.
Do you have a software firewall running? Make sure you add your home IP range to the exceptions.

If i try to access my mac from vista, it asks me for user name and pwd, but it keeps tellin me my pwd is incorrect even tho its right!
You enabled Windows Sharing and enabled your account for sharing?

ok in reply to bob the king and dci's lame replies.. Mac really sucks at networking.. sure they show the computers nicely in the finder.. if it works.. which is hardly ever. To connect to a pc on a mac, i find it easiest to Start at the "Go" drop down menu at the top of your screen, then "Connect to server". Then for server type "smb://" followed by the name of the pc or the local IP. for example 'smb://192.168.1.100' or 'smb://johnpc' Also windows is a little finicky with connecting sometimes. sometimes to get it to work you HAVE to create a password. Also it is important to make sure you are using Caps in the correct SpAcEs.

And good ole XP only have to do this to connect to another computer "Windows button+R, \\Server" and your in.

1. Go to Intel's download centre and download the latest version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (7.6.0.1011, 8/2/2007 at time of writing) for your OS:http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...=2101&lang=eng

Keep this file as you'll need it again in step 4.

2. Run the installer with the -a switch to extract the files. This will NOT install the software, just extract the files. Follow the prompts as if you were installing the software:

iata76_enu.exe -a

The above should extract the files to \Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager. There are two folders, \Drivers and \Drivers64 for 32-bit and 64-bit OS's, respectively.Copy the file IaStor.sys from the Drivers folder to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\

3. copy the following registry file to your desktop (copy and paste into notepad) and save as ahci.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2922&cc_0106]
"Service"="iaStor"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor]
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Group"="SCSI miniport"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\iaStor.sys"
"tag"=dword:00000019
"DisplayName"="Intel AHCI Controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Parameters]
"queuePriorityEnable"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Enum]
"0"="PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&SUBSYS_B0051458&REV_02\\3&13c0b0c5&0&FA"
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

4. Double check you've copied the IaStor.sys file as part of step 2.

Now do the following:

• Run the ahci.reg file to add the entries into the registry
  • Reboot the computer and enter the BIOS - DO NOT allow it to start Windows yet.
  • Change the setting for the on board Intel controller to AHCI, save and exit BIOS
  • Boot into Windows

When Windows loads it will detect a new hard disk - cancel the wizard for installing the new hardware and run the Intel driver installer you downloaded in step 1.

Reboot the system again and you're good to go smile.gifNow, under Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers you should see Intel® ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller listed.Hope someone finds this useful - I wanted to do this as I needed AHCI mode to dual boot Linux and I didn't have a floppy drive on the machine to allow me to install Windows XP in AHCI mode. This is one area Vista has moved forward - it will allow you to install drivers from devices other than A: such as a USB pendrive or CD.If you want to enable write caching, see einshem's tip here:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...5&postcount=23

Here is a Registry file that should work for 975X and P965 based boards:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2821&cc_0106]
"Service"="iaStor"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor]
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Group"="SCSI miniport"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\iaStor.sys"
"tag"=dword:00000019
"DisplayName"="Intel AHCI Controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Parameters]
"queuePriorityEnable"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Enum]
"0"="PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&SUBSYS_B0051458&REV_02\\3&13c0b0c5&0&FA"
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

Bob:

I had the issue with my install it happens when the install tries to install boot_guid on you HD.the system is installed on your system you can boot with the install cd to your hd and use the system.The solution is boot into the install cd and use terminal to install PC_efi on your system,i used V8 on my system and have no issues with it,use one of the many guides found in this section to do it,u'll need an external drive or a USB thumbdrive connected to your computer before you boot the cd.make sure to load the needed PC_EFI software on the external drive.Then after you are booted unmount your install partition and install PC_EFI after that you can boot to your system no problem,seems there is a problem with the Kalyway disk on installing GUID support.Another way you can do it,boot into the install disk,unmount your install disk with disk utility,use terminal to install PC_EFI and mount back the disk,after that run the install without the boot_efi option checked in the options menu.Hope this helps

Tried this on a P965 board (Gigabyte GA-P965-S3) and it was a no go. Still got BSOD just prior to getting the progress bar of windows boot up.

I downloaded both iata78_enu.exe and iata76_enu.exe and neither one worked.

Anyone??????

Greetings!

Based on all the great info and help, I'm building my first rig. I have a P182 case, I'm about to get the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L = e8400 + Corsair XMS2 4GB PC-6400 DDR2 Memory Kit. I'm undecided on the video card. I have a fx5200 which i've read will work at least to start. I want to run XP pro + leopard. Maybe try Vista. i've had problems in the past with partition size. Either to big and fill it up wityh stuff, making backing up my system troublesome. So, i would appreciate advice on what size partitions i should make for all 3 OS.

I think its better to keep my videos (HTPC), music, downloads on a seperate partition. I have several drives. just got a 750G ext. I plan just for back-ups.

I'd really like to run XPpro and 10.5.(2) at the same time. Is parallels the best choice? Side note. I'd love to install Apple TV OS or backrow. This system is for a HTPC attached to a 52" Sammy LCD at 1080p. I'm very excited to upgrade from my Pent 4 2.4g Dell from 5-6 years ago.

Peace and thanks for all the great work!!!!

Max

@disney. That looks pretty good. Dont forget about 4gb of ram Kernel panics. What size hard drive do you have. I never give my operating systems over 30gb's of space. Usually i give 25gb, 30 if it is vista. I make the rest a data partition, and since your running leopard, i reccomend making the data partition fat32 (watch out, it cant hold single files over 4gb's) So either make a small ntfs partition for 4gb+ files or just use one of the programs that allows you to write on ntfs in leopard.. ive heard they are not the best.

this is my setup.

Western Digital raptor 10k 70gb- 2-35gb partitions, leopard/XP (35 for 70 gb division purposes)

Sata Seagate 320gb - 200gb fat32/100gb ntfs

Sata Seagate 320gb - 4x25gb partitions (OS Placeholders),200gb data fat32

Now, if i had a 320gb as my main drive, it would be something like this : 2x25gb OS partitions. 250gb data (Fat32)

Now, if i had a 320gb as my main drive, it would be something like this : 2x25gb OS partitions. 250gb data (Fat32)

Thank you. Right now I have 2 EXT 750g. 1 has eS-ata. Since I'm on an old computer, all my drives are PATA. 500g, 200g, I have a disk array with 2-200g, and 2-300g. I buy them on super sales. Mainly store video, and HD movies. Those do go over 4 gigs sometimes.

My DVD is PATA, but I do have several ext USB2 adapters for ATA drives. If i need to I can get a Sata DVD but i don't use one much. I'll get a Sata drive if necessay for the booting.

I've been pretty happy with my Pentium 4 system 6 years old hooked up to my 52" LCD. So I can't wait to see Leopard and 1080P video with my new rig.

Thanks again

Max

PS. Funny thing. I've always been mainly a mac user since the Mac Plus to my Mac II and G4 867. I moved to my Dell pentium mainly to watch video on my LCD TV. So, now I come full circle and get to play with 10.5.2. 10.4.x was terribly slow on my G4 867.

MAN... i AM ALMOST there, please some help.

I have finally given up on XP.. Too much trouble to do a Tri boot. so please help me with DUAL BOOT.VISTA / OSX.

OS: 1) VISTA (installed) Can boot in vista successfully everytime.

OS: 2) OSX (KALYWAY 10.5.1) (installed) Gives error (chain booting error)

VISTA: Installed on : 160GB SATA: (disk 0, partition 0 or 1, can't remember) No partitions..

OSX: Installed on : 160GB SATA: (disk 1, partition 2 ) (though while installing I did not make any partitions, just installed it on current partion as shown in diskutility) i could not do it as MBR.. somehow only had option for guid. so I made sure that i also choose guid from the Kalaway DVD disk before installing.

PROBLEM: CHAIN booting error.

WHAT I ALREADY TRIED:

1)Have installed easy bcd and made a new entry named OSX, name of my install is also OSX.

2)Have copied chain0 from a wiki website (i think the dvd has the same chain0, since they are both in almost 1kb each)

3)Now want to edit boot.ini by inserting this (C:\chain0="Mac OS X86") entry into the bootini file, but wait A minute...... there is not boot.ini in vista..

4)So I try bcdedit.exe in the run command of vista and from within vista it just won't open.. but

5)if I use a utility name EasyBCD power.. I get to this stage... please take a look at the snapshop

QUESTIONS;

1)So there is Windows boot manager, boot loader.. and both of them have this "partition=c:" so which one do I choose / use.

2) and do I put exact these wording? C:\chain0="Mac OS X86" or do i put OSX only, since i am using this name. and are these necessary (" ") or just (c:\chain0n=OSX) will be enough

3) if not, please tell me what wording i put.

4) if i am totally in a wrong area and I should boot by using vista dvd and then find command prompt then how do I find bootedit or boot.ini (doubt it will have boot.ini) and how do i edit it. please help I am very near dual booting these 2 systems without any further boot problems, if you can help.. I have spent 10 days and at least done 10 reinstalls of all 3 systems... so your kind input is much appreciated..

JUST some more back ground info..""http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Chain0"" from this place I found diskpart command..

choose RUN from VISTA and type DISKPART and the utitility as shown in the photo below shows up.

I tried to see my OSX partition, but i was not successful. the only clue that it is installed is at volume 4.. efi.. fat 32.. 200mb.. this seems to be the apple volume and it is shown as hidden..I am not sure, if above information is usefull, but just posting it for your reference..

post-178440-1202378478_thumb.jpg

post-178440-1202379899_thumb.jpg

I'm curious if anyone has run software update successfully with this install. Are there updates that I should avoid?
I've run update a few times and pulled down updates to iTunes, all the iLife products as well as some minor system updates. I unclicked the FrontRow update since I don't have a remote. These are all pretty minor updates in the scheme of things though. I would personally be wary before pulling down a big system update if Apple put one out, unless there was something that needed fixing.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, this morning when I chose Shut Down, my computer actually fully shut down (instead of leaving the system LEDs and fans spinning). I use the GA-P35-DS3L board and it's never shut down properly before. I have no explanation for it. I verified on my UPS display that no power was being pulled.