[HOW TO] INSTALL ON GIGABYTE/ASUS/COMPATIBLE BOARDS

mtotho

999 posts in this topic

I have a problem with Audio patch running on my P35-DS3 Mobo with Kalyway 10.5.1 installed.

When I drag the HDA text file (ALC889A.txt) over to the HDA patcher (AppleHDA Patcher V1.20) after installing the 2 necessary kexts (ALCinject & AppleHDA),I get an error msg <_< .

Codec: (blank)

Vendor Id:(blank)

System Id:(blank)

* Detected unsupported Codec.

On checking the ALC889A.txt, it has

Vendor Id:0x10ec0885

Subsystem:0x1458A002

However, I did get stereo sound but nothing was showing in audio under system profiler.

Anyone encounter simlilar problem?

Should I be concerned on audio performance degrading?

Thanks

I have a problem with Audio patch running on my P35-DS3 Mobo with Kalyway 10.5.1 installed.

When I drag the HDA text file (ALC889A.txt) over to the HDA patcher (AppleHDA Patcher V1.20) after installing the 2 necessary kexts (ALCinject & AppleHDA),I get an error msg :) .

However, I did get stereo sound but nothing was showing in audio under system profiler.

Anyone encounter simlilar problem?

Should I be concerned on audio performance degrading?

Thanks

The have the GA-P35-DS3L board. I also get no listing in System Profile for built-in audio, but I did the same patch and I get stereo sound also. If it's working to produce sound, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I didn't get any errors when using the kexts files, however.

@Brass,

Sorry, seems you have already tried the things you learned about this install, so nothing much I can suggest, specially I am a newbie as well. But when I could not dualboot vista / OSX. I realized that I had once tried installing Iatkos osx and that had totally screwed up my bios and system, so i did full check of my bios, then put my vista dvd in and formatted both my hard disks and installed vista / installed easy bcd / created an entry in easy bcd for osx and rebooted and instaleld osx. next thing I know i was dual booting after 10 days of trying..

I choose MBR, I choose both vanila kernels and I did not choose sse2 support. I also did not choose my audio and display drivers.. I installed them from the kexts after I had working installation, so try and not install everything at the very first try. back up your data, install / reinstall and continue, till you are tired.. and then try some more. ;) sorry.. I know it sucks and it's not fun at all, specially, when there are no clear answers.. but all I can suggest is that use the approach of experimenting, that way, u will have more fun, once you are done successfully...

MOBO: P5KC. ( DualVista / Kalyway)

Graphic card: HD2400 (using kext from here, works on single mon, can change reslution, have sleep/shut down conflicts)

HARD disks: 160gb (vista boot) set to boot first.

HARD disk : 160gb (OSX boot) set to boot second.

Sound: Does not work so far.

LAN: Attansic G1 gigabyte: does not work so far.

I have bought a few dollar worth of LAN card, working on vista / not on kalyway.

MEMORY : 4gb, Assortment of 2 different brands. (working, no kernel panic, but not not done any heavy work on mac)

@Mohkann. Thanks for trying to help this dude.. its good to see i dont have to do, or attempt to do everything on this thread.

@Bob the king. The DS3L is a very compatible board(what this guide was originally meant for). Also im pretty sure the Asus p5w DH deluxe is aswell. I am getting that board on monday (2/11/08) and i am gonna use kalyway to install. In kalyway, there is an option for our audio fix, and in parenthesis next to it it says (P5W DH) so I got pretty lucky their. There is also a fix for the wirless on the disk. Other than that, i hear lan is easy to fix.. there is 6 sata ports, all of which work. There should be little issues.. i cant wait to get it. I will post support for it when i get it.

@Helob. The text file for the alc889a was giving other people problems to. But it is not really neccessary. Just use the kexts and sound should work in stereo... which seems to be the best we can get out of these boards. My audio never shows in the system profiler.. to fix that.. you'd have to straight up edit the system profiler... which isnt that difficult. There is support on how to do it. (this would also allow you to say core 2 quad instead of unkown cpu, and the motherboard)

@brass. That motherboard should be very compatible. I do not have it so i cannot speak for you. I suggest finding people who own it and getting their opinion. Also, on a different note. why do you have that crappy video card with those other good specifications?

@everybody. Again, my guide is not perfect. If you have anything you had to do different to get your build working, please tell me. Also.. i have only the DS3L board (and soon to be P5W DH) so if you have a different board.. and this guide mostly worked for you, please tell me what you did different so i can add it to post 1 and help future OSx86 installers. The more people we get, the bigger the community, the more going back into the community, the more fixes we will have, the more support, everything will be better with more people.

Thanks again for the response. I do appreciate it. I have looked through tons of forums for people with my motherboard and only found mention of it a few times and they always ask the same question I have. However, no one seems to have an answer. Also, I had that crappy video board in there because I had that laying around and wanted to see this thing work before upgrading. But I definitely see that it is out of place there. :thumbsup_anim: I think i will swith motherboards to the GA-P35 DS3L since it is known to work and there is some coverage on here for it. But if anyone has any ideas on the Abit IP 35 pro please let me know.

Brass

@mtotho, u are most welcome man. Hope others can contribute their experiences here, so we all can get our systems fixed. I am sure for a fix that we might have someone else might be looking for an answer for it out there, so requesting all, "do contribute as well as seek help that's what teamwork hack is all about" :( .

@brass, don't be stingy now man. :) you are running OSX, which costs like a 900-1200US$ to buy and here we are running it on much less, so go out and spend some dough on getting some good cards.

@everybody.. I need help with (p5kc) this motherboard's sound and lan card. I am still searching, but if anyone already got theirs fixed, please do share.

If you don't know any fix, please tell me which pci lan and sound card I can buy for this mother board to get this system 100% working. Thank you.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmen...l3=534&l4=0

My Configs:

Graphic card: HD2400 (using kext from here, works on single mon, can change reslution, have sleep/shut down conflicts)

I have bought a few dollar worth of LAN card, working on vista / not on kalyway.

MEMORY : 4gb, Assortment of 2 different brands. (working, no kernel panic, but not not done any heavy work on mac)

I'm having some trouble getting this to work. After installs I get the kernel panic every time (gray screen asking for a restart). I've followed the directions excatly. I've tried both AHCI and no AHCI. I've also tried playing with where which ports the hard drive and DVD drive are plugged into. My specs are as follows:

GA-965P-S3

E6300

2GB OCZ ddr2-800

Western Digital SATA I drive

Samsung SATA DVD drive

I did see that one other person got this board working. Another person got a GA-965P-DS3 working which is identical to my board except for solid state capacitors. I suspect it might be the hard drive but I am not sure. I'm not sure what else to try. Is there anyone that got this board working that can offer some tips or tricks?

Okay all. I have an update. Just bought LG DVD Sata drive and was able to get past the previous error on the IP35 Pro. I guess it was the jmicron controller with the IDE DVD Rom drive. Now I have installed as advised above in the instructions but have reached the infamous grey screen advisin me to reboot. I have read on another forum that I can boot with vanilla if I disable speedstep and enable both ACPI 2 support and Execute disable funtion in the bios. However, this did not work. So just wanted to put the update out there in case others had the same previous error and also to see if anyone had a solution for the grey restart screen.

***Update***First of all thanks for the instructions on the install and any answers you have given. I am officially running Leopard. I switched that crappy video card, ati Radeon 1300, out and with the sata dvd this system booted right up. Hope this helps if anyone else was close to the same problems I had.

Brass

Thank you for the tutorial - it is the best so far for the DS3L - loads great as you laid it out.

Now, I have to get the ATI card (X1600XT) working at a good resolution. - seen some things on this site (boris...ec) - but the plist files are not the same as described and the resolution changes are not available.

Got any other links? I have an ATI HD 2600XT as well, but really want to use the X1600XT for this hack.

thanks for any help ! :D

hi,

Ur tutorial is really very informative. thanx. I have the following spec which works well but would like to upgrade my machine. Kindly tell me if it will work.

Current profile:

Asus p5b-vm, intel P4, 2GB DDR@ RAM, Inbuilt intel x3000 graphics, SATA DVD.

All works fine.

Upgrade profile:

Intel q6600, asus p5b-vm, @GB DDR2 RAM, SATA DVD .

I would like to go for a graphics card in the nvidia 8 series but the kalyway 10.5.1 install disk has only support to nvidia 7 series. so will i be able to install the Leopard 10.5.1 . Will it give a kernel panic. How to apply the patch for 8 series that u have mentioned in your guide.

Please help

thanx in advance

This guide is a compilation of my knowledge of what I have learned on this site, as well as input from other users.

**This Guide probably works on most of the P35-DS3* Series or any well supported Motherboard, it is a very general guide.**

-It is reported working for sure under the P35-DS3L, DS3 Boards, and most P35/ICH9 Gigabyte boards.

**Unrelated to this motherboard,I have also compiled a list of Video cards (NVIDIA/ATI) Drivers and solutions (at bottom).**

-If your card is not there, it does not mean it is not supported. I will continue to add drivers as I find them.

After following these steps you will have a 100 % working install. Software update will also Work.

Do NOT be intimidated by this guide. It is very straight forward, and written for 'Beginners'

Here we go!

My System Specs (to prevent confusion, the following specs are not needed *except the board* for this tutorial to work)

GA-P35 DS3L

eVGA 8800GTS 640MB

4 x 1GB Sticks of Corsair XMS ram

LiteON Sata DVD Burner

70gb WD 10k RPM Hard drive (S-Ata)

320gb Seagate hard drive (S-Ata)

Intel Q6600 @ 3.0ghz.

-USB DVD drives work (Tested by Skippy911)

-P-Ata DVD Drives only sometimes work(depending on the drive) I myself could not get neither a Samsung nor Pioneer to work. Best to stick S-Ata.

-P-Ata (aka IDE) hard drives may not work to install OSX on, but it has been reported they work in OSX after installation for data or whatever.

-Not all S-Ata drives work. If someone is looking to buying a new one, I know first hand THIS ONE works fine.

I think the reason of why some S-Ata and probably most P-Ata's that non-working drives may have older firmware, so it could be a simple software update to fix, worth a try.

For reference, when I try using P-Ata DVD drives (and possibly non-working S-Ata drives), this is what happens when loading the disc. I could not find a solution to this either.

post-110603-1201649643_thumb.jpg

To sum it up, this thread includes:

-Dual Booting Guide

-Install Guide

-Bios settings/Tweaks

-Multiple Video Card Support

-Multiple Sound Card Support

-Tweaks and known issues.

-Trouble Shooting

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick/Easy Dual/Tri-Boot Guide

If you want to Dual Boot then look here first, if not, then go on to the rest of the guide. I will tell you multiple ways on how to dual boot.

*This is not an In-Depth Dual boot guide. If you know anything about computers, this will be sufficient for you. If you are 100% Noob, I suggest you use one of the many In-Depth Dual boot guides out there.

-If you want to Dual boot with XP and Leopard, go to Part 1

-If your looking at a Dual boot with Vista and Leopard, or a Tri-boot Between Vista, XP, and leopard, go to Part 2

Part 1.)Okay, simple dual boot with XP and Leopard on the same or different hard drives.

1. If it is the same hard drive, Use your favorite disk management tool and create 2 partition for XP and Leopard... Making the leopard partition Fat32. Make sure XP is set Active.

2. If they are different hard drives, make sure the XP drive is set to boot in the Bios (we will be changing it back to the leopard drive after install)

3. Put the XP disk in and Install (its important that XP is installed first).

4. Once XP is done installing, Set Leopard active, or if it is on a different hard drive, change that drive to boot in the Bios.

5. Install OS X using the Rest of this Install guide for direction. Reboot and you will have a Boot loader with a countdown. Press any key to get an option between the 2 drives/partitions.

*NOTE: XP Requires additional drivers to run AHCI. You must install AHCI with these drivers. Find Matrix storage drivers on INTEL's Site. Alternatively to get AHCI on a current install of windows, use the quick guide found later on in this this thread HERE *Thanks Cobraf.

Part 2.) Ok, Dual or tri-boot between Vista*/XP, and leopard.

1. First, if you are going to have XP in addition to vista, make sure to install that first.

2. Now Install Leopard second using the rest of this guide. *IMPORTANT, setup the vista partition before installing leopard.. if vista will be on a second drive, this does not matter.

3. Set the Vista partition active using any number of ways.

4. Install Vista.

5. Upon rebooting you should now have the option between "an older version of windows" and Vista

6. In Vista, download a program called "EasyBCD"

7. Open EasyBCD, go to ADD/Remove Entries and add a new one under the Mac OS option. Choose osx86 Generic PC. Name it whatever.

8. Save, Reboot, you should have a working tri-boot.. or Dual boot if you opted out of installing XP.

CHAIN0 Method

If you are having trouble with Dual booting between XP and Leopard, this method allows you to use the Windows XP Boot loader to choose between.

Here the link: Support Thread

If you can not find the chain0 file in /usr/standalone/i386 as described in the topic, search the web and download the file. Copy it into the root of the Windows installation and modify the boot.ini file (C:\chain0="Mac OS x86"). Now you can always boot from the first drive and use the Windows boot manger to boot Leopard on the second disk. *Big thanks to Master12271

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installing Leopard With MBR Scheme

This portion of the guide will inform you to install with an MBR partition scheme. MBR makes it easier to dual boot. Although easier, there are some limitations: You can not resize the Leopard partition or delete/resize any of the partitions on your Leopard drive.

I highly recommend using the Kalyway 10.5.1 distribution, as this is what I used, and I will be making references to it in this guide.

Pre-Install Checklist.

Bios Settings:

-Change S-Ata mode from Legacy IDE to Native.

-Disable all CPU Thermal settings.

-Do NOT enable AHCI if you have more than 2 S-Ata devices. In Leopard, you cannot see anything past the first 2 S-ata ports with the ICH9 Chipset and AHCI enabled.

-Everything else should pretty much be default/not important if you change.

-Make sure The Leopard drive is set to boot.

-If you are only running 64 Bit Operating Systems (Leopard/Vista64) then change HPET mode to 64bit.

Some Pictures for reference

post-110603-1201374616_thumb.jpegpost-110603-1201374595_thumb.jpeg

post-110603-1201374577_thumb.jpegpost-110603-1201374546_thumb.jpeg

*Warning, remove your ethernet cable from your computer. Do not plug it back in until after initial setup in Leopard.

1.)Insert the Kalyway DVD. No Kernel Flags are needed, DVD boots up fine with S-Ata Optical drive.

2.)When DVD loads (usually takes about 10 minutes) go to tools --> Disk Utility.

-Click on your Leopard Drive.

-Erase and format as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

-Make sure the Hard Drive is Formatted as Master Boot Record (it will say it near the bottom of the disk utility screen, and go into the Option menu in disk utility to change the format.)

-Make sure you give your leopard partition a name that is ONE word, and not just "untitled 1 or Mac OSX" as that is reported to give some problems. Keep it simple like "Leopard" or "OSX"

3.) Exit the Disk Utility and Enter Setup.

-Choose the Correct Formatted drive

-Make sure you go into Customize options

-Choose the Option for both Vanilla and the Fix for it.

-Choose MBR_EFI emulation rather than GUID (last option)

******DO NOT select any other options in Customize menu, I REPEAT, DO NOT.******

4.) Start the Actual install, you can skip Disk Check if you want.

-The install should only take about 10 minutes despite what seems like high estimated times at first.

5.)Install Successful, Now to get Everything working.

6.)In leopard, fill out the initial setup *Making sure your Ethernet is unplugged. Press no networking when that option comes up. After the initial setup, You may replug your Ethernet.

-Boot into Leopard. Use This to restore all settings back to default.

GUID INSTALL METHOD

Ok this part of the guide is if you want to use a GUID partition map on your drive. This basically makes it easier to resize/delete partitions, and some say it makes it faster and etc. It is a little more difficult to dual boot and as I have not used this method before, I will not explain how to. I will just tell you how to install leopard on a single drive without any other OS's

1) Use the same Pre-Install settings as posted above.

2) Insert the Kalyway DVD and Boot up. Go to Utilities --> Disk Utility

3) In disk utility, format the whole hard drive.. making sure to select GUID partition map (not just in customize) in the Options menu

-Format as Mac OS Extended(journaled)

--Make sure you give your leopard partition a name that is ONE word, and not just "untitled 1 or Mac OSX" as that is reported to give some problems. Keep it simple like "Leopard" or "OSX"

4) Proceed to install.. but select customize options on the install. Select the options for Both Vanilla Kernel and the fix. The choose

the option for GUID EFI.

******DO NOT select any other options in customize menu, I REPEAT, DO NOT.******

5) Hit install, Skipping the Disk check or not.

6)Viola

For an in-depth GUID Guide, visit this THREAD

AUDIO

DS3L Boards

Audio is quick and painless to install.

-Download 2 needed kexts HERE.

-In spotlight (search bar in top right corner) type "Kext Helper" and open up that program. Drag the 2 kexts from that package into Kext Helper, install and restart. Alternatively, if you know how, you can install the kexts manually.

-Next you want to head over to this Thread and download HDA patcher 1.20 (or latest)

-Download this TEXT File

-Drag the Text file to the HDApatcher Icon, do not open the HDA patcher pre doing this, it must be closed.

-Authenticate, it will install for you, then reboot.

-Sound is Working!!

*5.1 Does not work. 2.1 and Digital DOES.

P35) DS3P,DS3R, S3, DQ6 DS3 Boards

G33M) DS2R

1) Find alc889a HERE

2) In spotlight (search bar in top right corner) type "Kext Helper" and open up that program. Drag the 2 kexts from that package into Kext Helper, install and restart. Alternatively, if you know how, you can install the kexts manually.

LAN

LAN works out of the box for Leopard. (for the 8111 series)

-Bonjour services may not work correctly without the RealtekR1000 kext found in the 'HERE' just below.

-If it does not work after many a hard work playing around, you can Try HERE

-Alternatively, Realtek has some OSX drivers on their site. They only have up to 10.4 (probably cause Leopard should work by default) but it you want to install the Tiger version, and copy over the tiger IONETWORKINGFAMILY.KEXT, be my guest Realtek 8111 series (Note that i am not supporting this method)

VIDEO

NVIDIA CARDS

-For most Nvidia Series(Common 6/7/8 series), you can use Punk92's install found Here.

-Or this may be better as it is Newer, Latest 10.5.2 NVinject Installer

-Alternatively, People with G80 Nvidia's like myself (older 8800GTS/GTX) This installer definitely gets me best performance, There are options for various ram size (320/640/728 or whatever it is) G80 Only

-Just in case, if any drivers above did not work because you may have some bizarre Nvidia card, you could try the Universal Installer, I do not recommend this driver for more supported cards Driver Here

ATI

-X1900XT/XTX (not the PRO)

-HD2600 Series Support thread

-X1950GT Pro

-Radeon 7500 thread

AHCI Enabled vs. Disabled:

ICH9 CHIPSETS (P35-DS3* Are ICH9): In my experience, AHCI is Ideal. AHCI may run Slightly smoother, and boot faster. AHCI does not make a difference in terms of Benchmark Results and possibly even stability. I run without AHCI and there is little to no difference between the 2. Although, if you only have 2 S-Ata drives(DS3L*), I recommend running AHCI. Also know that with AHCI enabled, you need special drivers to install Windows XP (not vista). Also if Leopard is the sole operating system on your PC, I highly recommend both AHCI and GUID. Again, running without these 2 options, you will still see 100% operation and smoothness.

*The above only really applies to the DS3L board. Higher models (DS3R,P, DQ4) have like 8 ports instead of the 4 that the DS3L users have. I am fairly certain that all the ports on these boards work except the last 2, in other words, unless you have 8 drives, try AHCI.

AHCI enabled gets rid of 4gb of RAM issue. Read 'KNOWN ISSUES' for more information.

Non ICH9 CHIPSETS: ENABLE AHCI

KNOWN ISSUES:

1) This happens with many motherboards. If you have 4GB of ram in dual Channel, you may get a kernel panic when ram usage peaks above 3gb(I have Kernel Panics even when not all 4gb is utilized). To fix this simply:

-Go to Terminal. Enter "sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist"

-Authenticate. Add the "maxmem=3072" in between the strings under Kernel Flags

-Note* 3072(3gb) is not the magical number here. It may not be the highest you can set your ram. It seems to have stopped any kernel panics but I have not played around raising it 32mb each time and testing if i get kernel panic. If someone wants to play around and fine the Threshold and share with us, I will edit this and give you credit.

-Save and Exit

Another Fix: AHCI enabled seems to stop these problems.

2) I am not aware that there is a solution for 5.1 sound. Digital does however work.

3) Shutdown/Sleep do not work by Default. This Problem is discussed on THIS Thread.

From what I gather, it can be fixed and working perfect by downloading a new Kernel edited for sleeping/Shutdown off the IRC and replacing your old vanilla kernel with it.

This means you will not have stock Vanilla kernel anymore.. however its very close to stock. Any software updates will probably replace this new kernel and you will then have the stock kernel again... which means you will have to replace it every update.

I found that if you type this in the terminal

sudo shutdown -h now

That it shuts down the computer completely. Make sure all programs are closed before doing this.

4) AHCI does not allow you to see last 2 S-Ata ports on ICH9® Chip sets. (as stated numerous times in this tutorial)

TROUBLE SHOOTING

Question: Upon booting, I receive 'B0_error'

Answer: You have installed Leopard no regard to change the customize settings thoroughly enough. Your partition is most likely formatted as MBR, and you chose the default option in customize 'GUID_EFI' rather than 'MBR_EFI' or vice versa. Also, make sure your drive is S-Ata, and is on port 0 or 1 (If AHCI is enabled). Make sure it is set to boot in bios (unless you use vista Boot loader, or some alternate configuration.

Question/Problem: I cannot see the hard drives on my last 2 S-Ata ports.

Answer: AHCI is enabled in Bios, and you have an ICH9® Chipset.

Question/Problem: My DVD drive will not load the install disk.

Answer: As this guide is written in reference to, use Kalyway's disk. Make sure you have the correct Bios settings.

Question/Problem: LAN DOESN'T WORK!!

Answer: It should, DHCP issues can be hard to fix, try. If it isnt showing up, or you give up, Try HERE

Question/Problem: My install wont boot!! (or any other random problem)

Answer: It should work if using DS3L or similar boards and following the guide. If you have a different board, make a post asking why it is not working, AND SPECIFY YOUR SPECIFICATIONS/SETUP in addition to a detailed problem

Question/Problem: I am getting random kernel panics (Grey screen that tells you to restart).

Answer: You have 4GB of ram in Dual channel right? Your not running in AHCI mode right? 4GB of ram is finicky. To solve Kernel panics, enable AHCI (if possible) or set maxmem(see KNOWN ISSUES).

Question/Problem: I get a Blue Screen of death when I boot into Windows XP on my Leopard/XP dual boot.

Answer: If this problem occurs, I am sure you have AHCI enabled. Disable it and it will work. To get AHCI+XP, you must burn the AHCI drivers to a Floppy and install them upon the Windows XP install, (during the "F6 to install third party driver") I believe drivers can be found on INTEL's Site. To install on a current XP install, check out this post, later in this same thread. HERE *Thanks Cobraf

*When you get this tutorial to work on your computer, please post your detailed specifications and any tweaks you may have made. I will add any info to this guide to help future members.

I am constantly updating this guide to make it as easy and resourceful as possible.

Good Luck And Enjoy

UP TO DATE AS OF: 2/7/08 4:49 PM Eastern Standard.

@Brass: Good on you man.. and good luck..

@Nobody in Particular:

I know this thread is not for ASUS p5kc, but since it has been covered here quite a few times, so I wish to advise how I got my

sound working. During install If I choose to install or not install HDApackage for my motherboard's sound equipment (which is ALC883) it did not make a difference, since it seems to be for DS3 mobo. But after install, I looked for this file on the kalyway DVD, dragged it to the desktop, installed it, reboot and sound is now working.

Though I don't know how to watch movies by using leopard's built in software, but VLC also does not work, if I put a DVD in and gives me some kind of error message. Anyway, what's the best way to test sounds and video? etc.

And does anyone know how they got their {D-link DFE-530TX PCI fast ethernet adapter (rev.A)} lan card working? I bought this cheap card. I know a guy got it working with another motherboard here: (Check out the last entry # 100 by bigdaddypoo) http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-...cking-required/

Though I don't know how to watch movies by using leopard's built in software, but VLC also does not work, if I put a DVD in and gives me some kind of error message. Anyway, what's the best way to test sounds and video? etc.
Easiest way to test sound is to click the speaker icon in the main menu bar and adjust the volume. You'll get a small confirmation sound after each adjustment. If you get the sound, then sound is working. (Of course, you need speakers on or headphones plugged in to hear anything.)

I had a problem with DVD and VLC playback as well. DVD playback should begin on Leopard as soon as you insert a DVD. VLC would crash on me until I updated my video driver. I started off with the Punk installer, then used the latest NVInject Installer from mtotho's links here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83931. After using the latest driver, I had transparency in my menu bar, reflectivity in my dock and DVD playback with no issues. I think the NJInject enabled "QE" and "CI" on my card, thus enabling me to run applications that require those features.

@Mohkan. Go to System Prefrences-->Sound control panel. Make sure the input is set correctly. You should be able to test sound in the effects tab (or whatever it is called).

To know if video is working. Go to System Profiler.. then click on Video. If you see your card and Vram amount, thats a start. If it says 'Core Image' And 'Quarts something' than it should be, for the most part, working.

D-Link DFE-530TX v8.0 	D-Link 	Does not work. 	No

HCL Page^

This one, on the other hand, works out of the box http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150252

Hi all,

First of all - thanks mtotho for the detailed guide - dont know what i would have done without it. But I have a few problems.

System Specs

P35GA-P35 DS3L

Intel 6750 2.66ghz

old videocad - nvidia geforce 6200

wd 250 gig SATA hard drive, Sata dvd drive

AHCI disabled. trying to dual-boot with xp on the same hdd. xp was previously installed. followed mtotho's guide to the letter - install went off smoothly.

1. Onboard LAN doesnt work - but this seems to be usual, reading all the posts here.

2. restarted and was presented with a boot menu, tried booting into xp - got till the windows logo , but then got some message like "disk check untility not found" and then the system restarts.

Any idea as to whats going on? right now, i have no internet in leopard and no xp at all - posting this from a linux live cd. any ideas on how to fix the LAN on leopard will also be welcome.

thanks,

Chero

well, on leopard, you can try installing RTLR1000 kext. To fix XP install, put in the install disk and boot up. And after it loads up the drivers, hit repair.. and repair the installation. XP seems to get this error when you switch around the active partition sometimes. The only thing is.. doing this may take active off of leopard.. so to fix this again, just set the leopard partition active after.

I tried that already - when i put in the xp cd, boot up and hit recovery, and set xp as the active partition, when i reboot, i dont get the boot menu, but xp starts booting directly, reaches the logo screen and crashes again. i even tried rewriting the mbr and rewriting the boot sector, using commands in recovery mode of xp, but no use.

:)

Can someone with working sleep on GA-P35-DSxx mobo and NVidia graphics share 3 things:

1) listing of installed drivers ( ls /System/Library/Extensions )

2) AppleACPIPlatform.kext

3) AppleSMBIOS.kext

I can't get working sleep on my GA-P35-DS3. But it used to work before.

Hello! Everything is working great but need some help getting a PCI card detected. Right now no PCI cards are, is there a way to get them to show up? It is a SATA controller card that has a hard drive connected to it I would like to access in OSX. The card is the VIA PCI 2x SATA.

@particle. Like anything, not all cards are detected and have drivers for them. You need to install drivers for that Sata controller.. and i dont know if they are available. Check via's website or check these forums for leopard drivers for that device.

1. Onboard LAN doesnt work - but this seems to be usual, reading all the posts here.
I've posted here several times that I got the LAN working in OSX on my DS3L board by enabling the Onboard LAN Boot ROM in the BIOS. I have no idea why this works. I saw the suggestion on another thread. On my first OSX install, no LAN. On my 2nd install, I enabled the boot ROM and LAN worked "out of the box". I then disabled the boot ROM (because it added boot time) and the LAN continued to work for a day or two, then stopped working. I then re-enabled the boot ROM and BINGO! It started working again.

Another user wrote that the Apple Bonjour service doesn't work until the RTL1000 drivers (which mtotho links to) are installed. I haven't tried that out yet yet.