[HOW TO] INSTALL ON GIGABYTE/ASUS/COMPATIBLE BOARDS

mtotho

999 posts in this topic

I have P35C-DS3R running Kalyway 10.5.1 install with sata hdds and a sata DVD in AHCI mode,so no issues with installing OSX here.

From what i read in these forums ICH9R has a problem with the last 2 ports on the motherboard the purple ones.

It seems the problem is with the JMicron636 controller.

So make sure you dont plug your sata devices to the last 2 ports during install.

The only issue for me is that restart doesnt work,the system starts to shutdown and after exiting the screen just goes black and i need to reset using the reset button other then that everything works great

@Cobraf, glad to here you got it working. The I have issues with shutdown/sleep. Restart is the only thing that works (and it actually doesnt work). Leopard only seems to be able to shutdown the OS (which is fine) and cannot correctly communicate to the bios to turn the motherboard off. When i restart my computer in Windows.. the computer actually shuts off completely... then boots back up. Leopard just shuts down the os and reloads the bios (which i happen to like more, as it is about 10 seconds faster). So depending on your setup, or Kernel (or Modified kexts) that your running, Leopard may have some problems communicating with the bios to shut the board down.

@dci: Windows XP does not have ACHI drivers (as stated in the tutorial.. somewhere.. i will try to make it more clear) XP will blue screen of death 'BSOD'. Disabled AHCI and XP WILL boot. If you want to have AHCI drivers for XP, you need to download them (i think there on intels site) and put it on a floppy disk.. load up xp install disk (press f6 to choose raid driver) and pick the AHCI driver... this of course would require you to reinstall the operating system

@Alex Asay: Im glad your b0 error is fixed up.. but i do want to add that MacUser gave you correct advice in saying that you probably formatted your partition as Default GUID setting. Although you may have needed to do one extra step.. he was in the right ball park. I do have it in the guide that you need to be carefull of your PArtition map format.

@Allema2. I am sure you still have the AHCI problem as you are on ICH9®. Your board has 8 sata ports... and i am not sure where the cut off of non working ports in leopard is with AHCI as i do not own that board. With the DS3L.. the first 2 and the second 2 ports (for a total of 4) run on different AHCI/Sata controllers and the second is not detected in leopard. It is probably your last 2 purple ports that dont work.

I'm having problems installing kalway on these specs;

P35-DS3R version 2.0

Intel C2 Q6600

2GB OCZ Reaper

XFX GF 8500 GT 512mb

500GB WD Sata II drive

AHCI enabled, Native IDE mode enabled.

Partition type: GUID (Leopard sees my drive as an external HDD).

DVD boots, installs but at the end I get

'Install Failed.

Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer

The installer encountered and unknown error that failed the install'

tried different bios settings but still get the same error :)

Any help much appreciated

@ Bob TK, Did you make sure your partition was formatted as GUID. You cannot just select GUID in the install disk, you must go to disk utility, select your drive, go to options and make sure it is GUID. Reformat as GUID as well. Also, your board has 8 sata ports, i trust that your install disk is not on the last 2. AHCI enabled on PC's (idk about macs) makes the hard drives have different ICON (the orange drive instead of the actual hard disk)

Cheers for fast reply.

Yeh I used disk utility to create 3 partitions - 1 for leopard, 1 for vista & 1 for storage.

I've got my HDD on sata 0, the DVD drive on sata 1.

DVD drive is a samsung btw in case that makes a difference.

Tried several times but I always get that error at the end!

Bob

*update*

If I disable AHCI it no longer sees the HDD as external!

It still gets to the end and says install error ;)

Don't know if this is of any use, but if I leave the dvd in the drive, once the darwin countdown goes (before it boots to install) i get 'com.apple.Boot.plist not found'

*update 2*

I've found it will install as MBR but not as GUID!

Woohoo! I'm writing this from my now functional Hackintosh! Thanks very much mtotho for this guide. I posted earlier today of how my initial try failed. This time, instead of putting both OSes on one HD, I put them on two separate IDE drives. I'm using my BIOS to choose a boot HD using F12.

I disabled ACHI. My LAN did not work last time. This time I enabled the boot ROM on the onboard LAN. Don't know if that made a difference, but it does work now.

OK, must now get sleep. :unsure:

Thanks a ton for this guide. I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L board. Everything is finally working on it, video, DVD drive, apple bluetooth keyboard and digital sound. I had some issues with my 8800 GTS 512, but got that new install link from your guide. Here is my question. I went out and bought a new HD for the install, so now i have a Vista drive and a OSX drive, any ideas how I can get get a prompt to ask which OS to run? Right now i'm having to go into the BIOS and change the startup disk for each OS. I believe this can be done?

thanks again for the guide!.

Hi,

Use EasyBCD (Google) on Vista. Run EasyBCD. Goto Add/Remove Entries>Add an entry>select Mac Tab>Type:Generic x86 PC>Type a name for yr OS X>Click 'Add Entry Button'>Save and Reboot. You should have see two options at Vista startup.

Share result with us.

Best of Luck.

Guys reagarding installing AHCI support under XP which is the only system that has the problem since Vista supports adding the driver from a USB drive and XP doesnt.You can use this simple guide found here

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831

I'll copy paste it here the credits go to the site and the poster there:

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I managed to successfully enable AHCI mode after installing Windows. Here's how...AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) is present on newer Intel chipsets such as 975X (ICH7), P965 (ICH8), and P35 (ICH9). AHCI mode is enabled in the BIOS and 3 settings are commonly available: IDE, AHCI, and RAID. The last two (AHCI and RAID) require a driver floppy and the F6 method when installing Windows XP otherwise the hard disks won't be detected.AHCI mode brings 3 main advantages:

• Supports NCQ (Native Command Queuing) allowing SATA drives to accept more than one command at a time and dynamically reorder the commands for maximum efficiency.
  • Supports hot plugging of devices
  • Supports staggered spin ups of multiple hard drives at boot time

However, in the real world the performance difference isn't huge.The problem is that if you installed Windows in IDE mode (ie you didn't use F6 and supply a driver disk), then simply changing the BIOS setting to AHCI mode and rebooting will cause Windows to fail and will require a repair install. Most people have been advising to reinstall Windows if you want AHCI enabled.I managed to enable AHCI on Windows XP Professional for a Gigabyte P35-DS4 (ICH9R) without needing to reinstall. This should work on any P35 ICH9 based board:

1. Go to Intel's download centre and download the latest version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (7.6.0.1011, 8/2/2007 at time of writing) for your OS:http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...=2101&lang=eng

Keep this file as you'll need it again in step 4.

2. Run the installer with the -a switch to extract the files. This will NOT install the software, just extract the files. Follow the prompts as if you were installing the software:

iata76_enu.exe -a

The above should extract the files to \Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager. There are two folders, \Drivers and \Drivers64 for 32-bit and 64-bit OS's, respectively.Copy the file IaStor.sys from the Drivers folder to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\

3. copy the following registry file to your desktop (copy and paste into notepad) and save as ahci.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2922&cc_0106]
"Service"="iaStor"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor]
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Group"="SCSI miniport"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\iaStor.sys"
"tag"=dword:00000019
"DisplayName"="Intel AHCI Controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Parameters]
"queuePriorityEnable"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Enum]
"0"="PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&SUBSYS_B0051458&REV_02\\3&13c0b0c5&0&FA"
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

4. Double check you've copied the IaStor.sys file as part of step 2.

Now do the following:

• Run the ahci.reg file to add the entries into the registry
  • Reboot the computer and enter the BIOS - DO NOT allow it to start Windows yet.
  • Change the setting for the on board Intel controller to AHCI, save and exit BIOS
  • Boot into Windows

When Windows loads it will detect a new hard disk - cancel the wizard for installing the new hardware and run the Intel driver installer you downloaded in step 1.

Reboot the system again and you're good to go smile.gifNow, under Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers you should see Intel® ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller listed.Hope someone finds this useful - I wanted to do this as I needed AHCI mode to dual boot Linux and I didn't have a floppy drive on the machine to allow me to install Windows XP in AHCI mode. This is one area Vista has moved forward - it will allow you to install drivers from devices other than A: such as a USB pendrive or CD.If you want to enable write caching, see einshem's tip here:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...5&postcount=23

2. All this process worth nothing if you forget at the end to go to device manager, double klick your hard-drive(s) under "disk drivers", go to "policies" tab and mark "Enable write caching for this disk"

Here is a Registry file that should work for 975X and P965 based boards:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2821&cc_0106]
"Service"="iaStor"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor]
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Group"="SCSI miniport"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\iaStor.sys"
"tag"=dword:00000019
"DisplayName"="Intel AHCI Controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Parameters]
"queuePriorityEnable"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Enum]
"0"="PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&SUBSYS_B0051458&REV_02\\3&13c0b0c5&0&FA"
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

Bob:

I had the issue with my install it happens when the install tries to install boot_guid on you HD.the system is installed on your system you can boot with the install cd to your hd and use the system.The solution is boot into the install cd and use terminal to install PC_efi on your system,i used V8 on my system and have no issues with it,use one of the many guides found in this section to do it,u'll need an external drive or a USB thumbdrive connected to your computer before you boot the cd.make sure to load the needed PC_EFI software on the external drive.Then after you are booted unmount your install partition and install PC_EFI after that you can boot to your system no problem,seems there is a problem with the Kalyway disk on installing GUID support.Another way you can do it,boot into the install disk,unmount your install disk with disk utility,use terminal to install PC_EFI and mount back the disk,after that run the install without the boot_efi option checked in the options menu.Hope this helps

Many thanks to mtotho & cobraf for your help. Ok so I've managed to install using MBR for now, although i'm gonna try cobraf's method for GUID later once i've cracked MBR! Installs ok using MBR now, but I get the blinking cursor on reboot! I've partitioned my disk into 3, (1 for leopard, 1 for vista and 1 for storage). I've been naming the macintosh volume 'Macintosh HD' but i've read in this forum to use a 1 word for the name of your boot partition (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83739). Do you think this will fix my installation?

Bob

reboot is an issue for me also after i choose reboot it will shut down the system but not the computer.

only reset button works for me now.

other then this minor issue everything is working fine

Cobraf, thanks for searching that. I will put a link to your post in the main guide for those looking to get windows xp and ACHI. By the way, you should not need to load up a USB drive in vista to load the ahci driver, my install work w/o one, it already has one built in.

It worked! I managed to get it installed and working :D

Basically i had to name the boot volume as 1 word, leopard. Before I was calling it Macintosh HD and it didn't like that.

How do I get the 'about this mac' to recognise my cpu? (its a C2Q 6600)

Also, my graphics card is an XFX 8500 GT 512Mb - what would you reccommend to get it working, i installed NVInstallerV.31 and changed the install option to 512, rebooted and it booted to a black screen. I pressed the restart button on my pc and now every time it boots to the screen before the desktop loads :)

on the plus side, Lan works out of box and ive got my audio working all vanilla up to now :(

Thanks for the guide mtotho

I've got a few issues i'd like help on:

XFX GF 8500 GT - didnt install nviject or titan cos they wont work from what i've read.

Tried the nvidia installer v1.9 by punk 92 >> gives me black screen

Tried the NVInstallerV.31 >> gives me black screen

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

Also, system profiler is reporting my memory as 667mhz when i have 1066MHz PC2-8500

About this mac doesn't report my cpu (C2Q 6600. it says 2.4GHz unknown

hi..

i need help..i was trying to install this on this board when a message saying that system cannot continue and restart.BUT..it will never be the same again cause all i am getting is a black screen and constant restart.i even can't get into the bios.after 2 3 seconds it will reboot again and again..

anyone else with same problem?

@Bob. There are various ways to change the about my mac screen. I do not know how as i dont give a shi*. look it up. Also system profiler should report your correct clocks. If ur memory shows as 667, it is 667. Go into bios and addres the issue (MIT--> Go to the mode where you can change OC options--> change the Memory/CPU (Memory Multiplyer) clock ratio to one that is close to your rated 1066. About the 8500. I dont know about this card to much. Any issues with it are not cause of the boards, merely because of the card support. Did you try the universal installer (last one). Also, it may help to go check the Hardware forums, or run a search for it.

@One_7. No one else has these problems. Please give us a detailed list of your specifications and what you did to install it/which options etc. Also please be more clear on your actual problem, it is a little unclear to me.

hi..

i need help..i was trying to install this on this board when a message saying that system cannot continue and restart.BUT..it will never be the same again cause all i am getting is a black screen and constant restart.i even can't get into the bios.after 2 3 seconds it will reboot again and again..

anyone else with same problem?

It might be a problem of the right settings in your bios.

please tell us the settings you made in the bios especially the ones concerning the cpu thermal settings,

and please give us some more data about your setup:

mobo

cpu

memory

etc

gigabyte p35-ds3l

1gb ram

sata 160gb

dvd sata nec

i installed it on empty disk, but at the end of the installation it says something about system cannot install and have to restart.but the computer keep on rebooting.it keeps on rebooting after 2 or 3 seconds.i can't even access the bios..seems like the mobo is faulty..

try booting without any sata ports connected. If that doesnt work.. take out ur CMOS battery for like20 seconds, if that dont work, then take it out for 1-2 hours.

actually you dont need to take you battery out,there are to reset pins that reset your bios to default state seems easier to me the digging for a battery

but hey which ever works for you,also what i strongly suggest is that you check that the fan on your cpu is spinning and connected firmly to the mobo as it can be either the cpu or the mobo or the memory stick which is a bit harder to troubleshoot as youll need another one to try and swap them

Cobraf, i am aware of that. Mine does not have that pin, i even checked the manual. IDK maybe DS3l doesnt have the CMOS reset PIN... either way.. if you want a hard CMOS reset you need to take the battery out for about an hour.

which reminds me, i am gonna check to see if my DS3L boots up. Does anyone know if the motherboard does anything without CPU, ram, or anything in it. Im hoping for an annoying long beep (the kind u get with no ram in).. and im not getting one.. so idk if it is broken or i just need to put a cpu in.

edit: nvm, i tried all 3 of my boards laying around with no cpu/ram in it and it didnt make any noises when i turned it on, i guess i wont know if my ds3l works until i put a cpu in it.

yea, but it doesnt come with a slider thing for it.. so i would have to connect the circuit manually with a screw driver or something, doesnt matter though.. cause if you really screw up your board (like i did to mine) you may need to take out the CMOS battery for about 2 hours or so.