[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

I am going to update, I have a lot of work right now, but I will be on vacation from 20th thru Jan 5th so I will have the time to do a lot of my pending duties here.

awesome! :)" :afro:

If apple were smart they should recrute new employees @ insanelymac :)

will be installing OSX again on my system after my midterm exams. :)

Keep up the good job everyone! :D

@Wingrunr21 tried the following:

Ideneb 10.5.5 - Will not boot installer

iAtkos v4i - Boots installer but will not boot on first after installation

Kalyway 10.5.2 - Boots installer but will not boot on first after installation

Leo4All V1.3 - Boots installer but will not boot on first after installation

I should think their is a way of getting osx on this laptop, i`m going to try retail aswell as i have an original boxed 10.5.4 spare... Again any help would be appreciated.

I should think their is a way of getting osx on this laptop, i`m going to try retail aswell as i have an original boxed 10.5.4 spare... Again any help would be appreciated.

You can try my boot cd available in my tutorial to get that retail DVD to boot. You may also want to give iAtkos 5 a try or that other distro that's like XxX or something.

Hi,

Yeah sorry have tried iatkos v5 aswell, same result no boot on first boot after installation. I`m also going to try out your tutorial tonight. I presume if i need some advice (post me looking first) that i can reply back on this thread?

Dr. Fruit, yes you can reply back here. You say they won't boot after first installation. That sounds like either chameleon isn't being installed correctly or your hard disk is not being marked as active. See here for more information regarding that. You can also try using my boot cd to boot your OS X install.

Iatkos 5i on a Dell XPS m1530 with a 8600GT 256mb

Drive Preparation

Personally I did Guid with 2 partitions so I could do a dual boot as outlined in this thread under the "multiboot" header: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138929

So it is posible to dual boot Vista + OSx using GPT

will windows really boot (cant believe i) how did you do that

My apologies guys for not being clear enough, doh! On first boot (after installation) it gets past darwin boot loader and then freezes with a message relating to AHCI, i have tried switching the sata mode to ATA but i still get the same error. I`m going to go through it again tonight and stick some clearer error messages in this thread -_-

drfruit, I'm sure you answered this earlier, but when you installed iatkos 5, under

---- System --- SATA/IDE --- Intel AHCI SATA

do you have just the AHCI Sata option checked? (under sata/ide)

Also, Drfruit... FYI I would shorten up that signature under 5 lines before one of the moderators kills off your sig... they seem to be getting strict on the long sigs.

RVE_NL, yes I have Vista and OSX. I use the darwin boot loader to select which os... my steps were the same they list in the thread I linked. if I remember correctly, it was like this...

1) put in 5i disc, load disc utility, tell it partition = 2, under options do guid. I did the first partition as Macbook (iatkos in the past didn't like spaces in the partition names, so always do a single word) then partition 2 I named Vista and changed the format to fat32. apply it. exit disc utility and then exit the mac osx installer.

2) reboot with vista disc in drive. tell vista to install on the fat32 drive. it'll complain that it cannot, so I then formatted just that partition to ntfs. then try to install... it'll act like it isn't doing anything... I had to hit the X to stop it, reboot and then install vista. for some reason on the first time it wouldn't install but on the second time it will. iatkos even mention it in their guide... so I don't think i'm the only one that happens to. It takes it a while to get through the "expanding files" part... just leave the pc for about 30 minutes and it'll get it done.

3) boot vista, finish the install... make a user etc..

4) reboot with iatkos 5i in the drive and run the installer and install it to the macbook partition.

when its done you'll have a darwin boot loader with both macosx and vista working fine.

Iatkos 5i on a Dell XPS m1530 with a 8600GT 256mb

Well,

I follow your install procedure on my m1530 : works well, except wifi. I install the wifi in the Dellpackage. No problems.

Update : no problem.

BUT : at the second reboot, i lost the keyboard...

I try to delete and reinstall the Kext for the keyboard to work, but still not recognized...

Any ideas or tip ?

make sure and use the files attached to my post... if anything, make sure and reinstall the ps2nub and the ps2controller now after the fact (and then repair permissions).

Weird your wifi didn't work out of the box... I didn't have to install anything via the dell package...

I follow your install procedure on my m1530 : works well, except wifi. I install the wifi in the Dellpackage. No problems.

BUT : at the second reboot, i lost the keyboard...

I try to delete and reinstall the Kext for the keyboard to work, but still not recognized...

Any ideas or tip ?

You need AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext installed for the keyboard. talisman posted those earlier.

What wifi do you have? If Intel, it is not going to work.

You need AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext installed for the keyboard. talisman posted those earlier.

What wifi do you have? If Intel, it is not going to work.

no it's a dell one. Works well with sonotone's Dellpackage

My apologies guys for not being clear enough, doh! On first boot (after installation) it gets past darwin boot loader and then freezes with a message relating to AHCI, i have tried switching the sata mode to ATA but i still get the same error. I`m going to go through it again tonight and stick some clearer error messages in this thread :(

Just a thought: Can you check if your BIOS is up to date??

And does the error display the AppleAHCI in yellow or does it just freeze there?? Can you take a picture and post it??

It didn't work for mouse ( it become pointing to the left corner of the screen ) but worked for keyboard... so i tried to use again my old backup Appleps2controller and PS2NUB and it worked again !!

and then i tried installing 2 finger ( so a new appleps2controlle ) and again only keyboard is working....

Any idea talisman ?

I think the difference between the XPS and the Vostro is that the latter has a Synaptic touchpad and the former has a Alps touchpad. What works for XPS might not work for a Vostro. Sorry about that.

I have uploaded some M1330 kexts in the Audio Info page I set up. They have the correct ConfigData(hopefully!!). Can some people test it and let me know?? http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1010970

It is called QuartzGL, not OpenGL.

You don't need OSX86Tools or XCode etc to turn it on, just type this in terminal and QGL will be enabled on next boot: "sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver QuartzGLEnabled -boolean YES" (exchange YES with NO if you want to turn it off)

This will enable QGL for all applications system-wide.

I don't recommend turning it on system-wide because it may slow down your system, or cause instabilities/issues with some applications, thats why Apple doesn't enable it system-wide by default.

If an application supports QGL, it will use for itself, so there won't be any problems with other applications.

Is this feature also available to real Mac, Intel based. I have a Mac Pro early 2008 and used an applet called "secrets" to enable QGL. Profiler still does not show it as QGL.

I have to assume this is a feature only available to us OSX86 users?

Could you post the SMBIOS EFI Air. I chose SMBIOS Resolver. What name is the kext given for SMBIOS EFI air. I could grab it off the iATKOS 5i installer DVD if I know what name its given.

Thanks

RVE_NL, yes I have Vista and OSX. I use the darwin boot loader to select which os... my steps were the same they list in the thread I linked. if I remember correctly, it was like this...

1) put in 5i disc, load disc utility, tell it partition = 2, under options do guid. I did the first partition as Macbook (iatkos in the past didn't like spaces in the partition names, so always do a single word) then partition 2 I named Vista and changed the format to fat32. apply it. exit disc utility and then exit the mac osx installer.

2) reboot with vista disc in drive. tell vista to install on the fat32 drive. it'll complain that it cannot, so I then formatted just that partition to ntfs. then try to install... it'll act like it isn't doing anything... I had to hit the X to stop it, reboot and then install vista. for some reason on the first time it wouldn't install but on the second time it will. iatkos even mention it in their guide... so I don't think i'm the only one that happens to. It takes it a while to get through the "expanding files" part... just leave the pc for about 30 minutes and it'll get it done.

3) boot vista, finish the install... make a user etc..

4) reboot with iatkos 5i in the drive and run the installer and install it to the macbook partition.

when its done you'll have a darwin boot loader with both macosx and vista working fine.

Ok the instal for windows worked fine on GTP, OSx is also installed.

I installed osx by using boot-132 so i would be fully vanilla, but the osx retail dvd don't gives me a darwin bootloader ofcourse.

Anyway to manualy instal the darwinbootloader for my GTP?

i've looked around i only so how to instal the bootloader with MBR?

Hello, everyone!

Is there any solution for shutdown\sleep\reboot on Dell Inspiron 1520. I lost interest on Hackintosh, when understood, that my Dell can't shutdown and reboot. But it was the time of 10.5.2 release. Since there is 10.5.6 release already, my interst was burnt again. But I couldn't find any information on this. So... Will Dell Inspiron 1520 reboot and shutdown with, say, iAtkos 5i?

Thank you...

no it's a dell one. Works well with sonotone's Dellpackage

ApplePS2Controller and ACPIPS2Nub are what Sonotone's Dell Package contains and installs. Dells use PS2 trackpads and keyboards. Macs use USB.

Hi there, my m1330 x3100 cannot sleep. All it does when I call it to sleep is turn the screen off, fans off, then just turns everything back on, resulting in nothing. It's like it just goes to sleep for 1 second, then wakes. Any solutions? Thanks.

http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html. Look at EHCISleepEnabler.kext. Make sure you follow the readme.

hi all,

Ok an update on my progress.. I have performed the following and so far so good. The only thing not working is my Apple 802.11N wireless card (swapped it for the stock Dell card) and also my audio.

1. Disabled everything in the bios apart from the module (dvd drive), left SATA set to AHCI.

2. Booted iAtkos v5 dvd with -v -x as without -x it woud kernal panic within a few seconds of booting the dvd up.

3. Installed OSX on a GUID partition using the exact settings in the post by dnoyeb.

4. After installation went back into the bios and re-enabled everything back as factory settings (so all is enabled), changed boot priority back to the 2nd hard disk (where my osx is installed)

5. Installed the Nvidia kext for 8600gt (available on this thread)

6. Installed AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext (available on this thread)

7. Installed IONetworking.kext from 10.4.3 in order to solve issues with Time Machine and get the on board NIC working

8. Tried to use the sigmatel9228 drivers from this thread but to no avail, no audio device seen in preferences

So far it has been running very well, Profiler spots the board correctly and aboutthismac is spot on with the cpu and memory. Only thing that is not working is my Wireless card Atheros 5008 based official Apple 802.11n from a mac book and also my audio. Shutdown/reboot not working but that `s to be expected, well according o what i`ve read up.

I Hope this helps others, this was performed on a Dell Inspiron 1720 T5550 based Core 2 Duo, 2gb ram, twin 250gb hard disks, 8600GT 256mb card.

If you guys have any ideas on my wireless/audio please let me know :)

A BIG thank you to dnoyeb for the thread and to the rest of the Insanelymac community.

cheers,

hi all,

So far it has been running very well, Profiler spots the board correctly and aboutthismac is spot on with the cpu and memory. Only thing that is not working is my Wireless card Atheros 5008 based official Apple 802.11n from a mac book and also my audio. Shutdown/reboot not working but that `s to be expected, well according o what i`ve read up.

I Hope this helps others, this was performed on a Dell Inspiron 1720 T5550 based Core 2 Duo, 2gb ram, twin 250gb hard disks, 8600GT 256mb card.

If you guys have any ideas on my wireless/audio please let me know :)

cheers,

What Dell wireless card did you have?? Most of them work without trouble in OSX.

You might have better luck with your audio with a Inspiron based kext. Do you have 9228 or 9205?

hiya,

I swapped out the stock wireless card for an official Apple 802.11n, i see this as an AR5008 in windows. My LSPCI output on these devices are as follows:

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:284b] (rev 02)

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5418 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Express Adapter [168c:0024] (rev 01)

I presume this is seeing the correct models?

AppleSMBIOS.kext and SMBIOSEFI.kext

SMBIOSEFI.kext is the SMBIOS EFI Air chose in iatkos 5i Install DVD.

I see both of those kexts in Extensions even though I chose SMBIOS EFI Air in iATKOS 5i installer.

Is it normal to see an AppleSMBIOS and one I chose from the iATKOS installer?

Thanks