[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

AppleSMBIOS is needed by the computer. Don't delete that. You may be running a modified SMBIOs via iAtkos 5. Considering your machine boots there is already some kind of SMBIOs working. Let's just leave it alone since it is working.

rokhoe: I don't think so. You could always just create a new one with the patcher if it doesn't work.

I've succefull installed Vista + OSx by boot-132 (3 partities op dezelfde schijf: 1 Vista 50 GB, 2 Data Windows 150 GB, 3 OSx 100GB)

I've edited the retail OSx so i could instal MRB, otherwise i can't dualboot.

My problem is Windows Vista starts automatically, i am not able to choose between OSx and Vista (so i don't see the darwin bootloader)

But i can launch OSx by using my boot-132 cd.

I gues i have to instal a bootloader, how?

I tought i could make i work by installing chameleon, so i did but i still don't see a boot menu? What is wrong?

I use a M1530, 350GB(7200), WUXGA, 8600GT, Dell Wireless Card.

PS. Other problems i have:

Trackpad is not working (need to use usb)

Display Drivers not working: i've downloaded the kext a few posts ago can i just instal with kext helper?

Sound: i have the kext can i just instal by kext helper?

i used the boot-132 cd from wingrunr21

Yes you can just install those with kexthelper. Trackpad needs ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext to work. Both are on my boot-132 cd. Just mount the initrd.img file and use kexthelper to install those to kexts. As for dual-booting perhaps using Grub will help.

ok then i go instal the kext.

I already installed chameleon is that a problem because i just found out that's only for GUID. How do i uninstal it ?

Your guide say's you need chameleon and EFI 9 for the 10.5.6 update, i can't use chameleon + EFI 9 so that means i can't instal/use the 10.5.6 update?

If Chameleon boots installed in MBR then you should be ok. Just follow my guide replacing your boot file and I think you'll be ok for 10.5.6.

I just ran the installer, all went fine so i gues everything is ok. But what i don't understand is when i installed chameleon succesfull i should also be able to boot osx86 from bootloader isn't it ?

I've succefull installed Vista + OSx by boot-132 (3 partities op dezelfde schijf: 1 Vista 50 GB, 2 Data Windows 150 GB, 3 OSx 100GB)

I've edited the retail OSx so i could instal MRB, otherwise i can't dualboot.

My problem is Windows Vista starts automatically, i am not able to choose between OSx and Vista (so i don't see the darwin bootloader)

But i can launch OSx by using my boot-132 cd.

I gues i have to instal a bootloader, how?

I tought i could make i work by installing chameleon, so i did but i still don't see a boot menu? What is wrong?

I use a M1530, 350GB(7200), WUXGA, 8600GT, Dell Wireless Card.

PS. Other problems i have:

Trackpad is not working (need to use usb)

Display Drivers not working: i've downloaded the kext a few posts ago can i just instal with kext helper?

Sound: i have the kext can i just instal by kext helper?

i used the boot-132 cd from wingrunr21

If you are going into windows directly even after installing a bootloader for mac, then you need to mark your mac partition as active. You can do so by using the Gparted Live CD. Boot using this CD and mark your Mac partition as the boot partition.

For 8600M GT look here

I know I brought this up months ago, but figured i'd see if anyone has figured it out... I believe that something happens to appleps2controller.kext after sleep on the m1530's... I know I have seen a few people talk about how they lose their single click on the trackpad (which worked fine before sleeping). Anyone happen to find a fix for this in the past few months? (maybe a newer ps2controller came out that works better?) When I say I lose the single click, it'll work after sleep if I do a double tap... but i'd really rather not have to. ;)

Anyways, I'm in the process of rebuilding my m1530 up with iatkos 5i, got it up to 10.5.6 no problem (after install this thing was 100% upgradeable without any extra dsdt files etc), got everything working except reboot and LAN, which is known for these... (sleep, 8600gt CE/QE/QGL etc, card reader, wireless, full audio, camera all work fine) Of course, as I mentioned in the first paragraph however, the dang track pad doesn't work like it should after the sleep... which was the only thing that plagued me back on 10.5.4...

Hopefully one of you know what I am talking about and have a ps2controller that works better :censored2:

As for the posts I see where people are asking about doing an install on a 1530 with iatkos 5i and wanting it fully upgradeable etc... I'll put up my options and the extras i installed afterwords sometime this weekend if you're interested in a quick install...

Hey, I tried to install iATKOS v5 on a Dell XPS M1530 and after I intstall it and boot it I don't do anything because it tells me that there is no keyboard detected... any suggestions?

Since you haven't gotten to far into installing anything, just reinstall using the modified x86 PS2 stub, or just get an external USB keyboard and Mouse until you can replace the kext via OSX86 tools or kexthelper with the modified one by Chun Lan

On another note, the new audio switching kext is great until you sleep the laptop, at which point it stops rerouting the audio through the first audio port on detection of headphones. You then have to unplug from the first port and into the second, switch the output to line out in the Sound Preferences, and then reverse it when you want to play something out loud. Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

I know I brought this up months ago, but figured i'd see if anyone has figured it out... I believe that something happens to appleps2controller.kext after sleep on the m1530's... I know I have seen a few people talk about how they lose their single click on the trackpad (which worked fine before sleeping). Anyone happen to find a fix for this in the past few months? (maybe a newer ps2controller came out that works better?) When I say I lose the single click, it'll work after sleep if I do a double tap... but i'd really rather not have to. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm in the process of rebuilding my m1530 up with iatkos 5i, got it up to 10.5.6 no problem (after install this thing was 100% upgradeable without any extra dsdt files etc), got everything working except reboot and LAN, which is known for these... (sleep, 8600gt CE/QE/QGL etc, card reader, wireless, full audio, camera all work fine) Of course, as I mentioned in the first paragraph however, the dang track pad doesn't work like it should after the sleep... which was the only thing that plagued me back on 10.5.4...

Hopefully one of you know what I am talking about and have a ps2controller that works better ;)

As for the posts I see where people are asking about doing an install on a 1530 with iatkos 5i and wanting it fully upgradeable etc... I'll put up my options and the extras i installed afterwords sometime this weekend if you're interested in a quick install...

As I said before I have the same problem and haven't found the fix...

Since you haven't gotten to far into installing anything, just reinstall using the modified x86 PS2 stub, or just get an external USB keyboard and Mouse until you can replace the kext via OSX86 tools or kexthelper with the modified one by Chun Lan

On another note, the new audio switching kext is great until you sleep the laptop, at which point it stops rerouting the audio through the first audio port on detection of headphones. You then have to unplug from the first port and into the second, switch the output to line out in the Sound Preferences, and then reverse it when you want to play something out loud. Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

Have the same problem.... strange that I never noticed it before... just that I mostly use the inbuilt speakers.....

I will be doing some tweaking of the HDA kexts pretty soon... lets see if I can get this to disappear.

Hi guys,

it's a long time since i visited this forum the last time (i guess a few month). The last time i joined this discussion about "how to run mac osx on the m1530" there were less information available. At this time i didn't know how to fix this shutdown-problem and how to perfect use osx on the m1530 (with all the different hardware-support). Now I am looking into this thread and I see about 146 pages of this thread are full with useful information. I really don't have the time to read all these 146 pages. Therefore I wanted to ask you the following question:

Does anybody want to write a little tutorial (with the current information available) about "how to get OSX work on a dell xps m1530"?

That means .... Installing OSX on the dell-machine including the update to 10.5.6 and all the necessary kexts which fix the shutdownproblem, running audio, LAN and wireless-Lan (The last time I had OSX on my m1530, the LAN works pretty fine. I guess it was version 10.5.2 - iAtkos2),

support for dual-core, graphic-card-3d-hardware-support, etc....

If somebody took the time to write a tutorial with all the necessary (and current) links about how to get OSX work fine on the m1530 I would be very very thankful. ;)

Thank you very much

Sincerly

If you are going into windows directly even after installing a bootloader for mac, then you need to mark your mac partition as active. You can do so by using the Gparted Live CD. Boot using this CD and mark your Mac partition as the boot partition.

For 8600M GT look here

Ok have downloaded the CD, and used Gparted to set the osx partition flag to 'boot' (there was no active flag so i thought set to boot?)

Now osx wil automatically boot up (no windows..)

I installed the 8600 GT files, and followed the steps you said but now osx hangs (it just spins arround)

i also tried booting with -v now.. how can i post the log?

As I said before I have the same problem and haven't found the fix...

Talisman... guess what I figured out last night!!!! Ok, so here's the deal, my fix totally breaks the whole 2 finger scrolling. However, the single and double taping stay single and double after a sleep now. Personally I never used the scrolling anyways, so I don't mind it at all.

I'm up at work right now, but i'll post up the directions when I get home... it deals with modifying the ps2controller file... if I remember correctly i removed the trackpad.kext from in the contents/plugins folder. (was LATE last night after I had a few to drink... :D ).

Anyways, i'll get it posted up for you guys here shortly.

I fixed that problem, it autoswitches with individual volume settings from the first jack. It might also work fine with M1330 consistently, but haven't tried it before. I will post it soon.

Only thing left is internal mic, and that doesn't seem to work for some reason. :(

System: m1530 running iatkos 5i upgraded to 10.5.6.

Ok, I redid my "Trackpad 'Taps' work after Sleep fix" that I talked about earlier today a few times on my box and think I have it down to a science.

People this effects... If after you Sleep, your single tap on the trackpad no longer works (you have to double tap) then this fix is for you. What doesn't work after this fix is applied is the 2 finger scrolling. Personally I never really cared for the 2 finger scrolling so it wasn't a big loss for me.

I'll give you the "how to" first and then at the end I'll attach a pre-modded Kext that you can use if you so desire.

If you have the Dell post installer and just want to use it.. or already used it

Install the ApplePS2Controller.kext from the dell post installer... I tried Chun-Nan's latest ApplePS2Controller.kext and it didn't have the trackpad click feature working for some reason.

Reboot

Open Terminal, type in the following command:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns

Then type in:

sudo rm -r ApplePS2Trackpad.kext/

Reboot.

Now do a sleep and see if it still works. Hopefully it does, and it isn't one of the other items I have installed that is helping it along.

If you just want a pre-modded ApplePS2Controller.kext

I have attached a premodded kext to this thread that is simply the one from the dell post installer, and I have already removed the trackpad.kext file from it. You should be able to use Kext Helper and install the attached file and have a working "track pad click" after Sleep.

Conditions

On my trackpad pref pane, I have the "trackpad gestures 'clicking'" turned on.

Hopefully someone else with a similar box can confirm this for me...

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

Talisman... guess what I figured out last night!!!! Ok, so here's the deal, my fix totally breaks the whole 2 finger scrolling. However, the single and double taping stay single and double after a sleep now. Personally I never used the scrolling anyways, so I don't mind it at all.

I'm up at work right now, but i'll post up the directions when I get home... it deals with modifying the ps2controller file... if I remember correctly i removed the trackpad.kext from in the contents/plugins folder. (was LATE last night after I had a few to drink... ;) ).

Anyways, i'll get it posted up for you guys here shortly.

Ill try your fix sometime.... but I guess Ill stick to my kext as I use finger scroll pretty often.... and I hardly sleep my tin-can....

congratulations on getting this working....

Ok have downloaded the CD, and used Gparted to set the osx partition flag to 'boot' (there was no active flag so i thought set to boot?)

Now osx wil automatically boot up (no windows..)

I installed the 8600 GT files, and followed the steps you said but now osx hangs (it just spins arround)

i also tried booting with -v now.. how can i post the log?

If you cannot boot into osx then take a picture of the fix and post the picture.... that is the easiest way out....

Did you install Nvinject or NvinjectGo? You will have installed Go if you checked the Laptop/Mobile option in the installer....

Did your machine boot without any trouble before you installed Nvinject??

Do you have Nvkush in the machine??

Ill try your fix sometime.... but I guess Ill stick to my kext as I use finger scroll pretty often.... and I hardly sleep my tin-can....

congratulations on getting this working....

thanks

Now i'm on the hunt to figure out how to make it work with the 2 finger...

These m1530's have the Alps Glide right? Not the Synaptic's touch pad... I am trying to read across on other threads about the various touchpads to see if there is some sort of fix for this... the idea for removing that file came from a thread where people were getting the Synaptic's scroller working without ffscroll by editing the Info.plist in the trackpad.kext file.

Personally I sleep my box every time I leave it at the house instead of turning it off... So the tap feature was a must have. I can't even really remember the last time I used the 2 finger... normally just use the arrow keys for that. ;)

reinstall using the modified x86 PS2 stub
How would I do that? I didn't see any option in the customize section on the iATKOS disc. Sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm pretty new to OSx86. I've never run anything but Linux and Windows before.

How would I do that? I didn't see any option in the customize section on the iATKOS disc. Sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm pretty new to OSx86. I've never run anything but Linux and Windows before.

I believe they are talking about you installing the PS2 option... In all reality if you are going to do updates I wouldn't. Instead grab a USB keyboard / mouse and install the attached file using Kext Helper. The attached file is setup where you won't have to go in and change anything after you update to 10.5.6 to keep the built in keyboard / mouse working.

Also, up about 2-3 posts there is a modified ps2controller file that you can install if you want your trackpad to offer the ability to "click."

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip

I fixed that problem, it autoswitches with individual volume settings from the first jack. It might also work fine with M1330 consistently, but haven't tried it before. I will post it soon.

Only thing left is internal mic, and that doesn't seem to work for some reason. :)

I saw in the internal mic thread a few days ago that someone had gotten the Inspiron 1525 internal mic working, but I don't believe that that model has the weird microphone array with two mics. I've also been looking at the kext, but I'm no programmer or driver expert so the going has been slow. If you need any help beta testing with the sleep fix applied, I've the same configuration of hardware as you with the exception of a slower processor and different screen.

thanks

Now i'm on the hunt to figure out how to make it work with the 2 finger...

These m1530's have the Alps Glide right? Not the Synaptic's touch pad... I am trying to read across on other threads about the various touchpads to see if there is some sort of fix for this... the idea for removing that file came from a thread where people were getting the Synaptic's scroller working without ffscroll by editing the Info.plist in the trackpad.kext file.

Personally I sleep my box every time I leave it at the house instead of turning it off... So the tap feature was a must have. I can't even really remember the last time I used the 2 finger... normally just use the arrow keys for that. :)

yes... all the XPS have alps trackpads....

Only thing left is internal mic, and that doesn't seem to work for some reason. :)

Doesn't work on the 1330s.

I believe they are talking about you installing the PS2 option... In all reality if you are going to do updates I wouldn't. Instead grab a USB keyboard / mouse and install the attached file using Kext Helper. The attached file is setup where you won't have to go in and change anything after you update to 10.5.6 to keep the built in keyboard / mouse working.

Also, up about 2-3 posts there is a modified ps2controller file that you can install if you want your trackpad to offer the ability to "click."

That kext causes no problems with updates. Apple's keyboards/trackpads are all USB now so they do not overwrite the PS2 kexts when they do updates.

Now I'm going to take a little rant:

When I came to OSx86 macgirl had already compiled this thread but some of the information on how to get things working was outdated. All of the boot cds for boot-132 did not boot my laptop correctly and I had to learn all of the lingo and figure out how to get things working (I was coming from a deep Linux/Windows background). I spent hours upon hours googling so that I could thoroughly understand OSx86. I then took this knowledge and put it in a guide so that others could hopefully get the information a bit quicker. Now it is incredibly irritating to continually answer the same questions over and over because people are quite frankly too lazy to read anything at all. I have posted on every page for the past fifty pages at least on this thread so newcomers, if they read anything at all, should see the link in my sig. It also blows my mind how people don't even read the VERY FIRST POST of this thread. On that first page it CLEARLY states that shutdown/restart DO NOT WORK. I am getting tired of answering that question when it has already been answered numerous times (and it also says it doesn't work in my guide). Now I suppose you can make the argument that the first page hasn't been updated since June and thus progress could have been made but I've still answered that question numerous times recently. People here seem to expect to be spoonfed whatever information they need to get this operating system working on their machine. People, do some research. This is not Windows. You are going to have to take some initiative instead of simply posting the question and waiting for an answer. Here's a hint: in google limit your search results to this site by using "site:forum.insanelymac.com" after your search string. It helps a lot.

End rant.

That kext causes no problems with updates. Apple's keyboards/trackpads are all USB now so they do not overwrite the PS2 kexts when they do updates.

Never used that kext that is included with iatkos 5i. I know while clicking that option they recommend not using it for an "upgradeable" system since it said something would have to be edited after the update... don't remember what it was. So I stayed away since I replace that Kext file anyways so I can have my "taping" working after a sleep.

Anyways, I agree about the whole rant you got going... I sorta had to re-learn everything again for this laptop since I had just left it on an older version of leopard... Course with this 5i release they have all kinds of goodies in there.. :) Google is my friend for sure.