[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Iatkos 5i on a Dell XPS m1530 with a 8600GT 256mb

This quick guide is done for users of the above system. If you have a system with a 8400 it'll be very similar. This system starts with the iatkos 5i install disk (10.5.5) and is fully upgradeable via apple update without having to jump through too many hoops.

Drive Preparation

Personally I did Guid with 2 partitions so I could do a dual boot as outlined in this thread under the "multiboot" header: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138929

iatkos 5i install options (these are the ONLY options I have checked) There will be a few Kext files installed AFTER we install the OS. (video, ps2, etc)

Main System

Bootloader ----- PC EFIv9

x86Patches ---- Decrypters ---- Apple Decrypt

---- SMBIOS drivers ---- SMBIOS-EFI Air

Kernel ---- None, do not select one.

--- Disabler.kext

Drivers ---- VGA ---- Graphics Update

---- System --- SATA/IDE --- Intel AHCI SATA (make sure your bios has AHCI mode turned on for SATA)

---- Speedstep --- Intel Speedstep A (I like version A better, shows what speed you're running at)

---- Laptop Battery

Ok, hit done and let it install the OS.

IMPORTANT - Remove the DVD after you install. If you don't it'll do the Grey error screen.

Post OS Install

After the OS is installed, you'll need a USB keyboard and mouse for my installation. Also, I probably reboot and repair permissions more than most, but I am outlining the exact steps I took which ended up with a wonderfully working box. Start to finish took all of 1 hour.

Next up you'll load up Kext Helper and install the attached 8600gt nvinject file that Talisman built. Works great, I would link the thread directly but don't have it. This is JUST FOR the 8600. (If you have a 8400 I recommend you google NVDarwin and grab it, install just the option that has your ram total.)

Now use Kext Helper to install the attached AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext file (from Chun-nan)(this will fix your built in keyboard / mouse)

Now use OSX86Tools (Repair permissions, Set Extensions Permissions, Clear Extension Cache, Touch Extensions folder).

Reboot.

Now hit the Apple in the top left and do Software Updates. Allow the OS to update everything it wants to. After it finishes it'll want to reboot. When it does, the screen goes black but the PC stays on. This is due to our Nvidia cards in the laptops.. Shutdown / Reboot do not work properly. You'll have to hold down the power button until the Laptop turns off. give it a second then turn it back on... The computer will look like it is loading, get to the apple screen then will auto-reboot one time. This is normal. Give it a little bit and the machine will get to the OS.

Next up. Install Chrysaor's Audio Kext files in the sigmatel9228.zip that is attached. He might have a newer one in this thread, so look after this post and see. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT: Navigate to System/Library/Extensions and REMOVE/Trash the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext file. (you can use terminal, do cd /System/Library/Extensions then do a "sudo rm -r AppleAzaliaAudio.kext" or you can navigate there with finder and send the file to the trash bin) If you are still having issues with the Audio system, I recommend reading Talisman's thread dedicated to the m1530 / m1330 AppleHDA solutions.

UPDATE 1/6/09, please see this link and get the latest audio package instead of the one linked in this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1025143

Now use OSX86Tools (Repair permissions, Set Extensions Permissions, Clear Extension Cache, Touch Extensions folder).

Reboot.

Next up, We're going to install Superhai's EHCISleepenabler.kext with Kext helper. After you install it, be SURE to edit the Info.plist as he outlines on his website's readme file. http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html Otherwise it will NOT work.

Reboot.

Next up, I have attached a pre-modded ApplePS2Controller.kext file to this thread (original version I modded came with the Dell Post installer). This Kext file will allow you to use your trackpad to do "taps." Other versions of the PS2controller have the taps working, however after a sleep, they seem to break. The attached one will continue to work after a Sleep. Use Kext helper to install this.

Reboot.

Done

Ok, well thats it... For a quick and easy install...

Hope that helps some of you with 1530's get iatkos 5i installed and updated / running the way you want it.

Optional installs:

Fingerprint scanner: To get the Fingerprint scanner working, please see MacGirl's thread:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=66791

SD Card Reader: You can install IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext with Kext helper. This will enable your SD card reader. If you don't use it, you don't have to install it. (I have noticed that if you sleep the machine with a SD card in the slot, it leads to instability. Development is labeled as Alpha http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;#entry984937).

QuartzGL: This is from Chrysaor:

You don't need OSX86Tools or XCode etc to turn it on, just type this in terminal and QGL will be enabled on next boot: "sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver QuartzGLEnabled -boolean YES" (exchange YES with NO if you want to turn it off)

This will enable QGL for all applications system-wide.

I don't recommend turning it on system-wide because it may slow down your system, or cause instabilities/issues with some applications, thats why Apple doesn't enable it system-wide by default.

If an application supports QGL, it will use for itself, so there won't be any problems with other applications.

12/21/08 Guide updated to add Drive Prep section and QuartzGL under Optional Installs

12/22/08 Guide updated to add command line removal instructions of the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext file.

12/23/08 Guide updated to add link to talisman's Audio solutions for the 1530 and 1330 and Chrysaor's quote about QuartzGL

01/01/09 Guide updated to add comment about removing iatkos 5i dvd after installation

01/05/09 Guide updated to add link to newer audio kext files.

Sigmatel9228.zip

NVinject.kext_8600M_GT_VGA_out_M1530.zip

AppleACPIPS2Nub_b5.zip

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

GREAT JOB!!!!

You may want to edit or point out that you also need SUperHai's GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext rather than speedstep Option A in iATKOS 5i. At least I was told to leave those options unchecked and grab the SUperHai GCPM kext. So speedstep should still be installed or will GCPM take care of that?

You should also mention that to enable Quartz GL they need to use OSX86Tools to do that.

Quick question. I don't remember choosing SMBIOS EFI Air. What kext would that install or what can I look for in that kext to see if it got installed?

Thanks again!!

Please don't quote the whole post, you replied just after.

Anyway anyone who wants to test an auto-switching Audio kext gbonilla made a new one that auto switchs between Internal Speakers and Headphones, he is also trying the Internal Mic, see his post here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...howtopic=141033

osxfreek, each person can do theirs slightly different. Personally I like speedstep A since it has a display that shows the speed that the machine is currently running in the menu bar. Also, Speedstep A has SUperHai's GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext built in. No need to do that after the fact.

if you go to your apple, hit about this mac, then hit more info... if it says MacBookAir1,1 then you selected the Air option... How to do it after the fact I am not sure... I find that I'll keep an extra HDD and simply have a good install and then another install where I throw the drive in and mess around... My install directions were done up after probably trying 6-7 different setups and finally had one that I was happy with.

I mainly did these instructions for some of the guys at my office who have 1530's like I do. I've gotten them to build out machines for their desktops and now they're wanting their laptops working as well... So instead of me doing the install for them I wrote up these instructions for a fully working 1530.

I'll add a note about the OpenGL. Personally i've not noticed the jump in performance with it, but maybe it's just not there with what I use my box for. I need to read up and see if the OSX86tools way or the way that Talisman described is better. Once I do i'll edit that post.

Hello

I'm currently running Kalyway 10.5.2, but since it was initially a test installation i have a lot of beta kexts and now decided to install the latest iAtkos 5i.

So my laptop is a vostro 1700 : Core 2 duo T7500, 2 GB of RAM, 8600M GT 256 DDR2 , sigmatel for sound and a dell wireless 1390 (recgnised as airport in OSX) for the wireless card.

Currently, mostly is running fine except the shutdown issue and few other issues ( scrolling ...)

And as far as i have read in the forum , it seems that i would have to select these options in iAtkos installation :

-PC EFI V9

-AppleDecrypt

-SMBIOSResolver or EFI AIR ?

-Which SMBIOS ?

-vanilla kernel

-Nothing in ACPI

-Disabler.kext

-PS/2 ? thus i'm using a laptop...

-nvinject (not sure...)

-SATA with AHCI.

-GenericCPUPowerManagement (Will it be compatible with my CPU ? because i tried it on my 10.5.2 installation and it crashed in the startup of OSX saying non recognized cpu...)

-Intel speedstep a

-NTFS 3-g

-Laptop battery

And then i guess that i have to install EHCISleepenabler.kext of Superhai in order to have sleep working properly , isn't it ?

Have i to install more stuffs with Sonotone Dell postinstall package ?

Am i right in these options ?

Can i use your 8600M GT kext and other stuff for my vostro 1700 ?

Thanks

Iatkos 5i on a Dell XPS m1530 with a 8600GT 256mb

[...]

OpenGL: You can enable this with OSX86Tools or Xcode. If you use Xcode, follow Talisman's directions. (google it with site:forum.insanelymac.com and you shall find it)

Guide updated to add Drive Prep section and OpenGL under Optional Installs

Wifi working ?

cacahuete, read the first post about wifi. It depends on what card your machine came with.. it'll work by default if it is one of them.

updating guide to add commands for removing kext files... guy at work got confused, so maybe some others are as well.

I have a M1330 with Intel GMA X3100. I installed iAtkos 5i last night, but I can't boot into Mac. Once the boot loader comes up, I select Mac OS, it goes through all the necessary loading, a blue screen comes up for like 2 seconds, and then it goes black.

I've tried the following options when installing:

1. Intel Graphics Update - causes the same problem

2. Intel X3100 driver + Natik - same problem

3. No VGA selection when installing - same problem

Is there any way to get me to load the OS? I even tried the -X option and I still get the black screen.

did you install superhai's ehcisleepenabler? and edit the plist as told? (then be sure to use something like osx86 to repair permissions, reload kext cache, etc... )

Yeah I installed it with the kext installer, editet the plist and repaired the permissions with apple's disk utility.

I think the problem are the ehci errors at startup (apple....ehci...plist not found or sth like that), but I don't know how to fix it.^^

thx for your help

Well that was an incredible way to learn.

For me EFI strings are no longer working for the graphics card, even on 10.4.4 (which does not have new Nvidia kexts, they are 10.5.3), so I use NVinject.

NVinject 0.2.2 from XDarwin installer did the work, even on 10.5.5, but what is better is that with 10.5.5 Nvidia kexts I have better performance on OpenGL, from 400 fps (avg) with my previous installation to 800 fps (avg) with this 10.5.5, like Windows performance, just a note: remember to put the display to sleep, it needs just a second to have the increased performance, before sleep display the performance is very low, like 10% of the performance of after sleep display.

So what I did:

Install of retail 10.5 with DFE boot 132, then update straight to 10.5.4 (with the combo update) but I guess that updating straight to 10.5.5 will work.

If you want to try use this NVinject, is modded for M1330's 8400GS: NVinject.kext.zip

Here are some pics from my recovering:

10.5.4 with NVinject

post-123-1221843334_thumb.png

10.5.5 with NVinject

post-123-1221843410_thumb.png post-123-1221843710_thumb.png

Hi,

I have installed this nvinject, but my FPS are not nearly as high. My fps for 1.1 is 91...Anyone know the cause?

thanks

Joe

OpenGL: You can enable this with OSX86Tools or Xcode. If you use Xcode, follow Talisman's directions. (google it with site:forum.insanelymac.com and you shall find it)

It is called QuartzGL, not OpenGL.

You don't need OSX86Tools or XCode etc to turn it on, just type this in terminal and QGL will be enabled on next boot: "sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver QuartzGLEnabled -boolean YES" (exchange YES with NO if you want to turn it off)

This will enable QGL for all applications system-wide.

I don't recommend turning it on system-wide because it may slow down your system, or cause instabilities/issues with some applications, thats why Apple doesn't enable it system-wide by default.

If an application supports QGL, it will use for itself, so there won't be any problems with other applications.

I have a big issue with built in mouse / keyboard of my vostro 1700 with iatkos 5i : i tried to install AppleACPIPS2Nub but didn't work....

any idea of the cause ?

Try these two....

And will everyone please put a description of their system in their signature. It is easier to help troubleshoot if we have this information. It also helps others to know which solution is for which setup so that questions are not asked repetitively. All that is requires is the Model Name/Number, Processor Details, Installation Details, Wifi Card, GPU (Video Card) and Sound Card. Thank you

PS2Controller_PS2Nub.zip

Try these two....

And will everyone please put a description of their system in their signature. It is easier to help troubleshoot if we have this information. It also helps others to know which solution is for which setup so that questions are not asked repetitively. All that is requires is the Model Name/Number, Processor Details, Installation Details, Wifi Card, GPU (Video Card) and Sound Card. Thank you

It didn't work for mouse ( it become pointing to the left corner of the screen ) but worked for keyboard... so i tried to use again my old backup Appleps2controller and PS2NUB and it worked again !!

and then i tried installing 2 finger ( so a new appleps2controlle ) and again only keyboard is working....

Any idea talisman ?

Thanks for the correction Chrysaor. Still thinking in the PC world. I quoted you in my little mini-guide so people will know (just in case they only read that page and miss your post)

Talisman, great idea on that thread. I linked your post on the part where I talk about the Audio.

Hi,

Tried the ata change in the bios but still not joy getting any distro installed on my Inspiron 1720. I have tried booting with -v but still having the AHCI errors on first boot (after installation). Any help would be appreciated and if i need to submit some more detailed information please let me know.

many thanks,