[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

wow you guys were right....

getting sound and sleep to work really are a pain in the butt.

so far the things that dont work on my install are:

sleep -- (i have tried the ehcisleepenabler, and i also edited the info file, but still no dice)

no sound --(tried sonotones post installer and i selected the sigmatel sound, but still no luck)

GenericCPUmanagement.kext --( this is the weird one for me. The first time i tried iatkos5, i selected this kext--- the install then completed but would never boot up. SO, the second time i used iatkos5, i left speedstep blank, and all was well. And then i tried to install it with sonotones installer and it caused my comp to freeze and upon restart, i was not able to boot up in normal mode-- i then booted up on safe mode and removed the genericcpumangement.kext., and all was well.

No QE, and CI is software-- i enabled qgl by osxtools, but didnt see an option for enabling qe. I am about to try xcode, hopefully that will work.

Time machine doesnt work--- it always gives me this "cannot load volume" error

Itunes is acting weird--- when i try to play a song (trying to test the sound) i click on play but the tracking cursor never moves. i can however seek within the track, but still the cursor doesnt move.

Soft Capacitive keys weird --- it seems like they might be set up wrong, the volume is always stuck at muted

any insight would be awesome guys thanks

dell xps 1330

8400M GS

Sigmatel

bad wifi

dual boot with vista

Didn't work :D

Trying with previous AppleUSBEHCI now...

EDIT:

OH I did a stupid thing, I modified the AppleUSBEHCI as Superhai says on his page, but I put the new lines below other key entry, I corrected my error and now I have my WebCam back, dumb me :(

Is anyone getting a Kernal Panic when extracting a DMG file with the latest Voodoo Kernel and 10.5.6 on the M1530?

It happens everytime. I see it starting to extract then I see it say checking, then when it sais mounting, it causes a kernel Panic and my system freezes?

THis may have resulted from donwloading the 10.5.6 update from Apple's Site. I used Firefox and when The file was complete, I got the usual open/save window and when I clicked save, it allowed me to save it wherever I want, and this is how it always behaves so nothing unusual there. It was the next window, when I clicked on Save, I noticed it was an Open window rather than a save/save as window. I am not sure of the complete events after that but it could have something to do with that dowload and a possible security Exploit of some kind?

I should have cancelled it when this happened because I think it has borked my system

Details are on my post above this.

Try removing DSDT.

Do you have a link for the smbios, I would like to try and boot the 10.5.6 Vanilla 9.6 kernel? I Noticed you have chameleon 1.011, I have 1.012. I want to see if the voodoo kernel panic is caused by the voodoo kernel while opening a DMG file. I can't get any other kernel to boot but the voodoo one.

What else will I need to do to get the Vanilla kernel to boot besides removing APpleIntelCpuPowerManagement kext and adding the SMBIOS.kext?

I saw the information in your signature is why I ask!!

Thanks

wow you guys were right....

getting sound and sleep to work really are a pain in the butt.

so far the things that dont work on my install are:

sleep -- (i have tried the ehcisleepenabler, and i also edited the info file, but still no dice)

no sound --(tried sonotones post installer and i selected the sigmatel sound, but still no luck)

GenericCPUmanagement.kext --( this is the weird one for me. The first time i tried iatkos5, i selected this kext--- the install then completed but would never boot up. SO, the second time i used iatkos5, i left speedstep blank, and all was well. And then i tried to install it with sonotones installer and it caused my comp to freeze and upon restart, i was not able to boot up in normal mode-- i then booted up on safe mode and removed the genericcpumangement.kext., and all was well.

No QE, and CI is software-- i enabled qgl by osxtools, but didnt see an option for enabling qe. I am about to try xcode, hopefully that will work.

Time machine doesnt work--- it always gives me this "cannot load volume" error

Itunes is acting weird--- when i try to play a song (trying to test the sound) i click on play but the tracking cursor never moves. i can however seek within the track, but still the cursor doesnt move.

Soft Capacitive keys weird --- it seems like they might be set up wrong, the volume is always stuck at muted

any insight would be awesome guys thanks

dell xps 1330

8400M GS

Sigmatel

bad wifi

dual boot with vista

For the sound, try using macgirls kext posted on the first post of this thread.

Itunes will not work unless your sound card is detected

Volume will stay at mute for the same reason

You might need to put the computer to sleep to make sound work. More details from those who have 1330s, wingrunr21 and macgirl.

Try using the Nvinject kext by macgirl somewhere on this post (Good luck finding it!!). Use Quartz Debug to activate QE/CI/QGL. Make sure you force quit Quatrz debug after using it. It comes with Xcode. You need to put dispay to sleep for a second to get full QGL

Sometimes "Wake on USB" option in BIOS prevents computer from sleeping. Try diabling that

I have no clue why GPCM is not working. Anything made by Superhai always works!! Try downloading the latest kext from his site : http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html. Remove AICPUPM.

with the 10.5.6 update my audio and USB ports died. I replaced the audio kexts, but I'm not sure what I need to fix the USB ports.... can someone please help me with this a.s.a.p... not to be rude, but i leave the country (with no internet) in 5 hours....

thanks!

@jake123: AppleUSBEHCI.kext has been replaced. Reapply EHCISleepEnabler Patch:

http://www.superhai.com/EHCISleepEnabler.readme.html

A brief reply regarding 10.5.6 compatibility for the M1330 owners with X3100 graphics:

[x] sleep : works

[x] restart : works

[x] shutdown : works

[x] sound : replace AppleHDA.kext with STAC9228_0x83847616.zip, which will work after sleep. Don't know whether a better sound kext showed up in the meantime. Tarugas wiki is down unfortunately.

[x] video: QE/QI works; interal display works after sleep display trick; analog VGA works; digital HDMI doesn't work

That's pretty much the same status as with 10.5.5.

Using someone else's DSDT patch might cause update to panic. It happened to me. I use Chrysaor's who has a different processor and it panicked. I later updated the DSDT and reinstalled the update and everything went smooth. I suggest: make your own DSDT.aml. Its just a double click with fassl's patcher....attached below

Superhai did something to the 1330 DSDT that optimized it more. I am currently using his with no problems. You will only experience issues if the hardware the DSDT was created on is significantly different than the hardware you are trying to run on (ie different video card, chipset revision, etc). Different amounts of RAM should matter, different Intel procs (so long as the procs are in the same family) shouldn't matter, etc...

Yeah I tried the nub a few times now. no luck. Very odd. Such an easy problem to solve that just won't work. I may have to reload Iatkos 5 and go back to 10.5.5 as I am running out of ideas.

Do you have ApplePS2Controller.kext installed? You need that kext as well.

I am using Sonton's dell package for using the british keyboard. the problem is that whenever i reboot, the keyboard is deselected and it is gone from the main taskbar list. i have to go to preferences again, choose my us-pc keyboard again and then select it from the main task list. this is really annoying. can someone please help me with that if there is any fix available?

See the link about that on the first page of this thread.

did anyone get QE to work on nvidia cards?

That's too generic. What model? Yes I have it working. Check out nvinject or nvkush. Google for them.

system:

m1330

nvidia 8400M gs (nvinject, all working)

Sigmatel 92xx

Iatkos 10.5.5

ok so i fixed my speedstep and enabled all that was necessary for my graphics cards

The problem that i cant seem to get around is sleep. I have installed the ehcisleepenabler from superhai and i have also modded the info file.

When i ask my system to sleep, it goes to sleep correctly- fans turn off and all seems well, but then i am not able to wake it. it just remains sleeping unresponsive. Finally i have to do a force power-off and then reboot.

has anybody seen this before?

Also my sound does not yet work correctly. Volume controls are functional and itunes will play songs but no sound is heard. I think i need to get sleep to work in order to enable my sound. (i installed the kext on the first page for sigmatel)

please please help me sleep.

thanks soooooo much for all of your help.

P.S: what exactly is the function of the genericcpumanagement.kext by superhai- i guess i'm not really sure what the application that shares its name is for/ what does it enable me to do?

ok so i fixed my speedstep and enabled all that was necessary for my graphics cards

The problem that i cant seem to get around is sleep. I have installed the ehcisleepenabler from superhai and i have also modded the info file.

When i ask my system to sleep, it goes to sleep correctly- fans turn off and all seems well, but then i am not able to wake it. it just remains sleeping unresponsive. Finally i have to do a force power-off and then reboot.

has anybody seen this before?

P.S: what exactly is the function of the genericcpumanagement.kext by superhai- i guess i'm not really sure what the application that shares its name is for/ what does it enable me to do?

I've seen it before. Do you have a password set that you have to enter upon boot? I don't mean a password in OS X I mean a BIOS password. It will bring up a white screen asking you for your password. If so, turn that off. Then try sleeping.

GenericCPUManagement.kext is the speedstep kext. The application that shares the name is a GUI that allows you to see the current status of your CPU and fine tune some of the kexts functionality.

I've seen it before. Do you have a password set that you have to enter upon boot? I don't mean a password in OS X I mean a BIOS password. It will bring up a white screen asking you for your password. If so, turn that off. Then try sleeping.

GenericCPUManagement.kext is the speedstep kext. The application that shares the name is a GUI that allows you to see the current status of your CPU and fine tune some of the kexts functionality.

nope no bios password, just made sure and checked---- as am dual booting with vista if that matters at all?

i really dunno what else to do with this sleep thing, and i feel like i am soooo close. If i can get sleep working i have a feeling that my sound might start working too.

any other ideas?

ps: thanks for your quick response

With my m1330 the touchpad is extremely sensitive OR not sensitive at all... it will work for a sec, then you can tap tap tap all you want and nothing but the buttons will work.

Any ideas?

If it looses sensitivity after you wake it up from sleep then I have the same issue.... haven't found a solution....

with the 10.5.6 update my audio and USB ports died. I replaced the audio kexts, but I'm not sure what I need to fix the USB ports.... can someone please help me with this a.s.a.p... not to be rude, but i leave the country (with no internet) in 5 hours....

thanks!

remove DSDT.aml or just rename it to something else.

The sensitivity issue has to do with your ffscroll settings. I don't use two-finger scrolling for that very reason. I find the trackpad to be too sensitive. As for sleep, you need to check the system log to see what is stopping the laptop from waking up. It took me about two and a half months to track down why my laptop didn't resume from sleep so I certainly feel your pain.

The sensitivity issue has to do with your ffscroll settings. I don't use two-finger scrolling for that very reason. I find the trackpad to be too sensitive. As for sleep, you need to check the system log to see what is stopping the laptop from waking up. It took me about two and a half months to track down why my laptop didn't resume from sleep so I certainly feel your pain.

I don't know about the 1330s but on my tin-can ffscroll works perfectly. No sensitivity issue. It does loose single tap after sleep but then double tap works perfectly. Annoying but livable with considering the nice features of two and one finger scroll.

Has anyone experienced an increase in boot time (it increased from 12-13 circlings to 22-23 circlings) after 10.5.6 update??

Any ideas on how to completely remove uphuck speedstep. It seems to have installed a launch daemon which still tries to start even after I removed /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.uphuck.speedstep.plist and have checked that nothing is in the StartupItems folder...

ok so i fooled around with my computer a little more and i noticed that

when i try to wake it up from sleep, i get the sequential light up thing from my capacitive buttons (normal), and my usb drive became active again meaning the usb was functioning.

Also- every third or so time i try to wake up from sleep, my display turns back on then immediatly freezes- giving me half of the you must restart your computer error (it actually only gives me the transparent black pulldown thing about 1/3 the way down then it freezes. I then have to Force power off and reboot in order to get back to osx)

Where do i get my system logs from? should i boot in verbose mode?

seeing my display light up for a second made me giddy---- then very sad when it immediatly froze... i think i am pretty close , are there any other insights or tips anyone has?

thanks sooo much again.

is it possible to add an other language to iatkos v5 instead of english only? i installed iatkos v5i (reinstal no problem) but only english is supported. i can import dutch language from i deneb or retail osx?

You may be able to. I don't know.

Does anyone know how?

Because i tried the guide from wingrunr21 (boot 132) but this is written for GUID and not for MBR, i need mbr because i also need vista

Confirmed Kernel Panic extracting DMG only with Voodoo Kernel and not with 10.5.6 vanilla Kernel.

WHich SuperHai Kexts do I need besides GCPM and EHCISleepEnabler for both Vanilla 10.5.6 and Voodoo Kernel? ACPIBattery? ClamshellDIsplay? and SMBIOSResolver?

I tried SMBIOS Resolver with both vanilla and VOodoo and without and does not seem to make a difference?

APpleIntelCPUPOwerManagement I disabled with vanilla , but with Voodoo kernel it blacklists it.

We need an Updated Voodoo Kernel!!!

Also- every third or so time i try to wake up from sleep, my display turns back on then immediatly freezes- giving me half of the you must restart your computer error (it actually only gives me the transparent black pulldown thing about 1/3 the way down then it freezes. I then have to Force power off and reboot in order to get back to osx)

Where do i get my system logs from? should i boot in verbose mode?

First, a question like that could have easily been answered by a Google search. OSx86 does require some research on the part of the individual. But to answer your question, open up Console.app from /Applications/Utilities, make sure the "Show Log List" button is on, and highlight the system.log entry. Look through the logs and find the approximate time you woke up your system and see what they say.

Confirmed Kernel Panic extracting DMG only with Voodoo Kernel and not with 10.5.6 vanilla Kernel.

WHich SuperHai Kexts do I need besides GCPM and EHCISleepEnabler for both Vanilla 10.5.6 and Voodoo Kernel? ACPIBattery? ClamshellDIsplay? and SMBIOSResolver?

If you want battery status you need ACPIBattery. If you want sleep when you close the lid then you need ClamshellDisplay. It is probably a good idea to install SMBIOSResolver instead of whatever other SMBIOS kext you are currently using.

First, a question like that could have easily been answered by a Google search. OSx86 does require some research on the part of the individual. But to answer your question, open up Console.app from /Applications/Utilities, make sure the "Show Log List" button is on, and highlight the system.log entry. Look through the logs and find the approximate time you woke up your system and see what they say.

If you want battery status you need ACPIBattery. If you want sleep when you close the lid then you need ClamshellDisplay. It is probably a good idea to install SMBIOSResolver instead of whatever other SMBIOS kext you are currently using.

Thanks for replying.

The only SMBIOS I see is, APpleSMBIOS. So then I need the SMBIOS Resolver? SHould I remove or move the APpleSMBIOS if I install the SMBIOS Resolver kext?

I rememeber I use to use DSMOS and I see it not in extensions anymore. I never messed with SMBIOS so I assume its always been APpleSMBIOS.