[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

i just installed iatkos v5 in my partitioned drive. im on dell 1520 btw. after it finished installing it needed to restart and when it restarted it said boot 0 error. and i cant boot into xp or osx. what now?

Get the Gparted Live CD and boot your system. Then mark the Windows partition as active (boot). Then try to boot into windows. If you cannot (no boot file found etc.) then use the vista cd to repair boot. It might not find a windows installation but still do the repair. Then try to boot into windows.... this should work....

Quote from another user (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=141133&st=0&gopid=1021947entry1021947):

"I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 aka 6400, powered by the Intel GMA 950. This is an awful graphics card. Yesterday, I bought a 22 inch LG L227WTG monitor (love it) and connected via VGA it to my hackintosh running 10.5.4 Leopard.

At first I got the vertical line mess thing, making it impossible to see the screen. When I removed the external display, it went back to normal.

Eventually, I got it to work without any artifacts, and with both screens. The problem is that it is very slow now. Going into spaces, or just moving windows around the screen is choppy and slow. Dashboard and Expose are the same way. However, on my internal screen it is much better.

In Windows XP, the performance is acceptable, with no problems at all, two screens or just the external one. However, in Mac OS X, it is not. So how can I turn off my laptop's internal screen, so that it doesn't have to render two screens, improving performance? My laptop won't wake from sleep without a Blue screen of Death in Leopard, if it matters. I would like to be able to keep the internal screen working if I disconnect from the external screen but have it turn off otherwise."

That's a feature I've been missing too on my Vostro 1500. I searched for gfx strings which would disable the internal display when I was still on 10.5.4. The I would have just selected a customized boot plist from the bootloader with "config=***.plist" to start directly with the external monitor. But since I'm now on 10.5.6 and EFI strings won't work anymore with my 8600M GT, I must find another way to use external vga output only.

Any help is appreciated;)

Quote from another user (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=141133&st=0&gopid=1021947entry1021947):

That's a feature I've been missing too on my Vostro 1500. I searched for gfx strings which would disable the internal display when I was still on 10.5.4. The I would have just selected a customized boot plist from the bootloader with "config=***.plist" to start directly with the external monitor. But since I'm now on 10.5.6 and EFI strings won't work anymore with my 8600M GT, I must find another way to use external vga output only.

Any help is appreciated;)

On the same boat here... except that my Inspiron E1505 has an Nvidia Geforce Go 7300. I'm able to use external displays but only for extended desktop or cloned. I'd like to close my laptop's lid and just work with the external monitor...

Has anyone done it yet? Thanks in advance.

I'm able to use external displays but only for extended desktop or cloned. I'd like to close my laptop's lid and just work with the external monitor...

Has anyone done it yet? Thanks in advance.

As far as I'm aware it's impossible to enable clamshell mode on hackintoshes, searching the forum and Google has yielded no results. Enabling mirror mode will cause the internal laptop display to only render a black screen and the mouse cursor, so that may work for you. On my M1530 with the 8600m GT I don't notice any lag with an external display, so can you check if QE/CI are enabled properly?

Yes, that's a possibility. There's a tutorial about changing NVCAP values (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=103549&pid=830782&mode=threaded&start=), which unfortunately didn't help me any further. But as far as I understand, by editing the NVCAP which is located in the injector, this would be a permanent change, or am I wrong? When I was still using EFI strings it was quite a better solution, because before starting up the system, from the bootloader, I could decide which output I wanted to use.

THX for your help :)

I the case of the GMA950 is understandable, but with a 8600? :(

One way is to disconnect physically the inernal display (the second time Dell Service replaced my M1330's display Mac OS reported that the internal display wasn't connected so only the external display was shown on system profiler)

If I disconnect the internal display, would that mean that everything shown would go to the external, and by that I mean BIOS, bootloader, etc. It's not the most elegant method, because lets say if I wanted to carry my notebook out of my house, I would need to open the case to reconnect the display. Under Windows I'm currently using Ultramon, which allows you to save profiles and quickly switch from internal to external, as the current NVIDIA control panel is quite buggy. There is an option in NVIDIA control panel which is "use only single display" and from there you can select the output you'd like to use. Is there really nothing software based which lets you do the same under OSX?!

THX in advance:)

THX, I didn't know that Fn+F8 would work before entering the OS! Well, I tried that and booted the system in verbose mode. The text lines showed up on my external display and the internal was turned off. But as soon as the login window shows up, OSX detects automatically my internal screen and switches it on. There must be a way to turn off this kind of autodetection. I'm sure that we're pretty close of finding a working solution!

Why do you want to turn off the autodetection? Why don't you just get an existing NVCAP for an 8600M GT and use two displays? You can just set the external display to be your primary display in system preferences and don't use the laptop display. There shouldn't be any performance issues with this. I've driven a 22" display alongside my internal display on my 8400M so the 8600 should do fine.

That's how I'm using now my external display. What I don't like is the way exposé and spaces is affected when you have both displays connected. Active corners is a feature which I use very often, and when I´m not in single display mode, the corners are spread among both screens if you know what I mean. I'm not worried about power consumption or the life of my internal display, as I never use the batteries and the display brightness can also be turned down.

It's also helpful to be disable the internal display so that you can shut the lid and slip the laptop under the desk, something that can't currently be done as shutting the lid will sleep the laptop. opening it to wake it up and then quickly closing it works for a moment before it goes back to sleep, so perhaps a minor modification to the ClamshellDisplay.kext could fix it.

on another note, how do you lower the resolution the integrated webcam works at to allow for higher FPS video capture?

Thanks, that trick gave me an additional corner! But now I'm using mirror mode, because I don't mind my internal screen turning black. There's a workaround for real macbooks (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060607121656766), which I haven't tried yet. It's sad that you have to take so many steps to use just one display, despite the fact that it's actually something quite simple.

EDIT: in mirror mode, when waking up, I get a blue screen. Does it mean sleep won't work when mirroring?

EDIT2: opengl extensions viewer scores are also worse under mirror mode.

Think i figured out why some people installing iatkos 5i have the grey power button screen after installation.... read on

I had to rebuild out my iatkos 5i build this week... I found out that with the Guid partition map I had problems doing a full Vista update on the vista partition. Keep in mind I use Vista Ultimate, so that might be a part of it... I had tried using diskpart and setting the vista partition active, but it just wouldn't go.

So I redid the box over to MBR with dual partitions... still have to set vista's partition as active to install SP1, but that's no big deal.

Here's where it gets interesting... I think I figured out why some people installing iatkos 5i have an immediate error after installation... The error I'm talking about is where it says it crashed and to please reboot. (the one with the greyish screen and a big power button looking picture) For some reason on my 1530 (I tested this on 2 1530's), if I leave the DVD in the drive it errors out. I simply had to take out the DVD and it boots fine.

So, be sure to REMOVE the dvd after you install... At first I thought I botched something and then realized I left the disc in the drive... :(

Anyone know how to change the below to only say "Nick Barnwell's XPS M1530" instead of "Nick Barnwell's XPS M1530 1.0"?

showsas1ji8.th.png

Under Sharing I have it set to the value I want, but it still shows with the 1.0 appended to the end.

Also, has anyone running iAtkos 5i been able to get Time Machine properly backing up over a network? I tried with the patched ToH IONetworkingfamily.kext but was unsuccessful and still received the 'Couldn't find network adapter" error.

I have a problem with kernel panics after sleep on my M1530. It doesn't happen immediately after sleep, usually 10 -30 minutes after.

I have the 8600m GT and an Intel T9300 core 2 duo processor.

Anyone know what could cause this? I don't have speedstep installed, because it just makes the problem worse.

i have the dell xps m1530 with the Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card and Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller network adapters.

I have read and read and read and i am pretty certain that these are not working yet with any versions of OS X so i was hoping for some advice on the easiest way to get the internet working on this worlock.

Should I get the true mobile Dell Wireless 1390 pci mini card from ebay for about $15 (i have never taken my laptop apart to install anything)

or should i go with some sort of usb connectors.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I hope you can straighten out my path lol

I have a problem with kernel panics after sleep on my M1530. It doesn't happen immediately after sleep, usually 10 -30 minutes after.

Can you post what your error logs say? They are in Console.app.

Should I get the true mobile Dell Wireless 1390 pci mini card from ebay for about $15 (i have never taken my laptop apart to install anything)

or should i go with some sort of usb connectors.

Ethernet is a bust you will have to go USB until a driver is written. Wireless is your call. Either path provides network connections that work it is more up to you how you want to go about doing it.

Has anybody had any luck installing iATKOS 5i on a Vostro 1400? I tried installing it with the default settings (including using EFI v9), however on the first boot after installation it doesn't move past the screen with the Apple logo, and there is a cross/"no smoking" sign over it (see below). This occurs when the SATA configuration is set to ACPI:

2lvlbpt.jpg

When I change the SATA configuration to ATA, the laptop doesn't get past this screen either. However the "no smoking sign" does NOT appear over the Apple logo when I do this.

Any suggestions?

Hi guys!

I Had successfully updated to 10.5.6 but since then, the performance of my Hackintosh is... lame, poor. It used to work like a charm with 10.5.5 but now, it just does not (THE XBENCH score is now 91 when it used to be up to 120)

Is this the same with you guys?

Thanks for all the support by the way :(

Dell XPS M1530......................................................... Dell TruMobile 1490 (Airport)

Intel Core 2 Extreme x9000 (2.8 GHz 3M L2 800MHz FSB).... Intel HDA / Sigmatel 9228

4096 MB RAM 667 MHz............................................... Marvell Yukon 88E8040 (not working)

256 MB NVIDIA GForce 8600M GT with VGA AND HDMI OUT, QUARTZ EXTREME................................ Bluetooth Working :D

160 GiB 7200 rpm HDd........................................................ OS: Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Vanilla 9.6.0)

Hi guys!

I Had successfully updated to 10.5.6 but since then, the performance of my Hackintosh is... lame, poor. It used to work like a charm with 10.5.5 but now, it just does not (THE XBENCH score is now 91 when it used to be up to 120)

Is this the same with you guys?

Without disk I bench around 175-180, with it around 95. I have a slooooow 5400 RPM, 160 GiB drive, but I did the Xbench while running a Blender render in the background and with my processor forced to full 2400 MhZ speed by GenericCPUPowerManagement, so it may not be reflective of what you get. Full specs are in sig for comparison