MacBook Air

Numberzz

161 posts in this topic

This is absolutely pathetic. If I wanted a 13" machine, I'd buy a MacBook. It would be cheaper, it would have a bigger HDD, it would have a built in optical drive, and as far as I can see, the battery life wouldn't be much different. Worse, this machine only looks thin because of the tapered edges. I don't care if it's the thinnest notebook in the world, it's only 1/4 inch thinner than a macbook, which frankly, is intangible.

Where's the REAL ultra-portable, Apple?

Edit: And more to the point, why does my 12" PB feel so much smaller than my gf's MacBook...? They only had to shave an inch off the screen to make it a thousand times more attractive to me (although I'm happy with the keyboard and screen resolution down to 10", frankly)

Err. The MacBook Pro already has a backlit keyboard. In fact, the pro notebooks have had backlit keyboards since the first 17" PowerBook G4 in 2003, and later the aluminium 15" in the same year. And if you mean the design of the keyboard, no thanks. I'd rather they stuck to the keyboard you can actually type with on the pro machines.

I really don't see how it's insanely great. It's just a MacBook with less features that they somehow feel charging more for is justified. It's no more portable than the hardly gigantic MacBook IMHO.

Why doesn't anybody make a decent ultraportable any more. What happened to the Toshiba Librettos and the Sony Picturebooks of the world? Sure, the Eee PC is nicely priced, but I'd like more modern hardware, a chassis with some though put into it, and a bigger storage device, and I don't mind paying for it, although Sony prices are well over the top for hardware like this.

The ad is really cool. It also comes with micro-DVI, and don't under estimate Remote Disk, it will change how all laptops are looked at in the future. It's a great idea whos time has come.
WOW! Ill spend 1600EUR on the MacBook Air because its ad is so cool!! Maybe i can try it my own at home!! COOOOOL!!

Rofl....

Personally i think its way too much for what it is... Macbooks are better specs, only thicker and cheaper!

Its not GREAT design, but not ugly too... I prefered the keyboard to have same color like the rest of the casing...

MacBook Air

Cons:

battery internal (needs replacing at shop)

mono stero

one usb slot and no firewire.... wtf?

cost is almost same as MBP

has no optical drive

hard drive - sloooooooooooooow

Pro's:

umm..... it's very slim :P

for that much money you might as well get a mac book pro, your basically paying more for something which has less :D

$1800 for a 1.6ghz C2D and an ipod hdd

next please.

Im struggling to find the innovation besides the gimmicky trackpad, rotate photos in Preview?? HOLY @#$%!! It is far from the first paper thin full sized notebook, notebooks have been that thin for years (give or take a mm or 2), take out the HDD and disc drive then the only thing keeping it thick is the case.

vaiox50531024ja8.jpg

Yeah, this is truly one of apple's dullest moments. They took such a grand opportunity to capture the sub-$1000 market and failed miserably.

Sorry, apple, you lose. You priced this horribly.

Yeah, this is truly one of apple's dullest moments. They took such a grand opportunity to capture the sub-$1000 market and failed miserably.

Sorry, apple, you lose. You priced this horribly.

Tell me about it. I was really looking for a cheaper notebook. Why couldn't they just make a Pentium dual-core laptop and integrated graphics for students like me. I really wanted something for $600. Oh well, I guess a used mac will do. And about the air, It stinks. Very low specs, and extremely high priced. I don't care about 0.78 inch thick laptop. I can't play a movie on it the road. And 80GB max... . I care about price and performance. Besides the current mac book is already small.

Any SPECS of the Wireless Card, BRAND, Chipset?

I'd guess it will either be a BCM4321 or an AR5008X, like all other Draft-N cards Apple have used. However, it may well be soldered onto the motehrboard (ala Eee PC) rather than a removable card like the others. Why?

Apple claims it to be the "world's thinnest notebook"[1], at 0.76 inches (1.93 cm) thick at its largest point and 0.16 inches (0.41 cm) at its thinnest. However, CNET noted that the thinnest notebook ever was the 1998 Mitsubishi Pedion, which was 0.71 inches (1.80 cm) thick.
- Wikipedia.

I'd add to the Cons:

- 4200 Pata hard drive

- 2gb of memory not expandable

Totally agree with you!!

Overpriced+no FW+non-detachable battery+1.8" PATA HDD+not able to put more memory=forget it.

If I really wanna go for something ultra portable, why not an UMPC?

Well, Mr. Jobs, MBA (MacBook Air) is really for MBA (Master of Business and Administration), but not for practical user.

Ha, the only problem with going after the MBA's with the MBA is that Apple probably has less than a 1% share of the global business market...which means they should be able to sell these to journalists (maybe - a tablet would be more logical) and ad creatives (though it may not be fast enough/have enough memory)...